• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
His work is fantastic, as is everything from DF. I wonder if they are more prone to fanboi attacks because they strip bare the differences between game versions and expose the deficiencies of certain versions.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Dark1x you helped me out a lot on retro setups, plasma TV purchasing, back in the GAF days... and your DF retro videos are fantastic and insightful with regards to how some of that old graphics tech and programming worked. Loved the 32x ones in particular.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
oF3KEDAOkTIf7vuN5p0EDN6lCqI=.gif

Respect. Hard working guy that creates top-tier videos. One of the great video game historians of our time.

R.I.P

Oct 30, 2017
Don't listen to the haters John, you're a great looking guy! DF retro is absolutely some of the best content on youtube and your videos always put me in a better mood when I'm going through bouts of anxiety or depression. Keep up the good work!

Kinn

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure what was said but you rock Dark1x ! Love your DF retro videos. You seem like a genuine nice person. Would love to have long conversations about gaming with you over a couple beers.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I've said this a few times on Reset - Digital Foundry/DF Retro are important and vital chunks of gaming history that will be remembered, consumed and appreciated decades from now. This is legacy content that will be revisited in the future as essential gaming documentaries - just as we still enjoy learning about music from the 30s/40s etc. It's truly important content and I hope John continues to create it.

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoy watching DF, both the looks at current games and the retro ones. It's been very enlightening about the performance of many Switch games.

Fuck the haters, they're just jealous trolls.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Huh...people criticize/hate John?

I always thought he is a awesome person and his content is some of the best on YouTube. He is pretty charming as well imho....

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
John, you're amazing. You've become a prominent and enjoyable part of Digital Foundry — which is seriously the best thing to happen to games media in 20 years.

You bring a unique an knowledgeable voice to the crew that I enjoy very much.

Don't let those fucking asshats get you down.

You rock!

OP
OP
TheDutchSlayer

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Sorry if folks are just catching up and the OP has been edited by a mod so some of you are missing context.

Lets just say John is having a bad day because people on the internet are calling him out personally for no good reason and he is feeling down about it.
So with this I hope to let him see that we stand with him and love him and his work.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
John is one of the few people that i actually share taste on videogames. Keep it up, man!

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║John Linneman
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
Literally the best guy in and out of the industry. I can't recall someone I became such good friends with so quickly. His work is incredibly inspiring and important, and his generosity is unmatched.

Glad to see so many others in here echo my thoughts and feelings on the guy, I'm not the best at telling my friends how dear they are to me, since my parents were seagulls.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Fuck those online haters, hiding behind their screens.

Digital Foundry does great work, and I particularly enjoy DF Retro.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
You know your life is miserable when your past time is attacking John Linneman.

Dark1x don't give these microbes a second of your day. Keep doin' what you do so well.
For me, DF was the missing piece in most video game coverage.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
John has been an invaluable addition to the DF team and DF Retro is something I always look forward to.

So many YT videos just tell me things I already know and lived through myself, but John is always great about digging up new and interesting details about games I already thought I knew everything about. Always both entertaining and informative. The amount of effort put in certainly does not go unnoticed.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
You're fuckin' awesome, John. Ignore those drooling bottomfeeders, they don't know shit.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Digital Foundry is one of my favorite YouTube channels and the detailed content is amazing. You can tell that they're very passionate and excited about the work they do and that it takes a lot of time to put it together. Whenever a new game releases with amazing or unique graphics, I always look forward to seeing their analysis. I also like how they look at not only new titles but retro ones as well. I like everyone on the team too.

There are always going to be people on the internet who are mean and complain. Often it seems like the minority is the loudest. I would encourage them to ignore them and realize how much the gaming community appreciates their work.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
DF Retro has become appointment viewing for me and I watch all of 'em, even the games I'm not interested in. John does such a good job of pointing out the accomplishments in each title that I walk away with an appreciation I didn't have before. For me, DF Retro is like the technical/gaming version of Movies with Mikey.

I'm bummed that Dark1x is being harassed, but hopefully he can chin up through it. Much love, dude.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Dark1x you're the best in an already great team at DigitalFoundry, in my opinion. DF Retro is some of the best YouTube content in terms of quality and I've seen a lot. Keep up the good work!

Mr.Gamerson

Oct 27, 2017
I see the trolls are trying to take down another one of the pillars in the community. John you are definitely not ugly, and your knowledge and place in gaming is very much appreciated and respected.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Forget the haters John! You shouldn't really change anything as your videos are top notch as they are. Keep doing you and don't worry about the trolls.

John has been an invaluable addition to the DF team and DF Retro is something I always look forward to.

So many YT videos just tell me things I already know and lived through myself, but John is always great about digging up new and interesting details about games I already thought I knew everything about. Always both entertaining and informative. The amount of effort put in certainly does not go unnoticed.

This is a very good point. Lots of YouTube videos offer information that most of us grew up with knowing, or have learned since. The DF Retro videos always offer lots of details that I didn't know.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
John's like the antiyoutuber in a way. He's likable, not a fucking monster, and I genuinely think what he's makes gaming better.

Also idk how the fuck anyone who isn't trolling finds him ugly, like forget me being nice I literally cant see a world where that man is ugly. If he's ugly then I'm a god damn pile of shit

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Dark1x is fucking beautiful. People don't know how ugly they are if they act like pieces of shit. Don't let them get to you John. They are nobodies that no one cares about and you're a better person than any of them in every way possible.

zsidane

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wahran, AKA Oran,DZ
To me, John Dark1x is simply one of the greatest contributors in terms of technical analysis and retro gaming. I enjoy watching his videos and is one of the reason I regularly browse Eurogamer.
We love you John!

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what the tweets were (personal attacks or something?) but I do now he's doing some mighty fine work and it's very much appreciated. There's always gonna be a vocal minority that wants to throw a wrench in proceedings, but even if it's hard, you can't let that kinda shit get to you, it can wreck a man. Know that you're better than them and continue on with you head held high.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
tf is wrong with people. John's tweets remind me of just how shitty some people in this hobby can be.

John, you look good, talk well, and are clearly a smart dude. I have read your posts, watched your videos, and respected your opinions for more than a decade now - however long it's been since gaf started. The stuff you make is just plain fun to watch, simple as that.
That said, I know all too well that it's not easy to just filter out weirdos that write insults to you. I'm glad you're feeling better now, but I remember this is not the first time it happened. If it gets worse, maybe try asking someone from the team to manage your twitter and youtube account for you - just to the extent of deleting/blocking the garbage you wouldn't want to see?

Last edited:

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone does excellent work at DF, and I adore Dark1x for DF Retro.

Always looking forward to these videos as they're a very special mix of fun and education rarely seen for this medium.

Keep it up, DF Team!

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
DF wouldn't even be half of what it is without John's videos. Don't let the jerks get to you man.

Yaqoub

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kuwait
John is a beast. I love his work. I love his attitude it always felt positive and you can see he pours his heart into his work.

Stay strong.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Love your work. Keep the comments on Patreon, disable them on YouTube. I see a lot of folks do this; it's good for everyone's sanity. :)

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Fuck those people. How old are they, 12? John isn't even ugly, what the fuck?

Wish I had the level of success, half of it even, as John has. One of the best channels in Youtube. I spend like 1/4th of the time I'm playing PC games tweaking stuff to put into practice what I learn from DF's videos lol I think I learned to appreciate games on a technical level thanks to your work Dark1x

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
DF Retro is amazing and the technical analysis are the best in the industry. No harm should ever come to any of the DF crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.