• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Our very own Dark1x Needs a pick me up today.

Mod Edit: Personal tweets removed for privacy.
[personal edit]

Sorry if folks are just catching up and the OP has been edited by a mod so some of you are missing context.
Lets just say John is having a bad day because people on the internet are calling him out personally for no good reason and he is feeling down about it.
So with this I hope to let him see that we stand with him and love him and his work.

And I thought I would be a great idea to have an appreciation thread for John and for DF in general

Love you John your the best and DF is fantastic we love DF retro keep up the fantastic work.

Fuck the haters!

Last edited:

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
You are the best person on the Digital Foundry team.
Hope you can pull through this difficult time.

Edit: Edited because it was unnecessary.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I'm always looking forward to DF videos. I watch them while I'm working (as it gets awfy quiet sometimes) and I love the enthusiasm John pours into the retro stuff. Getting to see all the different versions and the differences between them, plus a delve into the tech behind them, is excellent. Can't imagine the amount of hours poured into producing one video.

Maybe one day he'll do a DF Retro Retro, chronicling the development of it.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I love the work he puts into every one of his videos regardless of what it's covering. From the biggest AAA to looking back on Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure, everything just oozes quality.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
DF Retro is one of my favourite YT series, it's a shame they aren't more frequent but I understand that they're probably not very profitable.

Adahel

May 28, 2018
Spain
John is a great person and an awesome professional. He deserves the best, not all this shit. I love his work and how he explains so well technical stuff. Wish you the best, John!

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Bah, that's really depressing to see. I love John's content, and he always seems like a really good dude whenever he comments here.

He also has a rad voice.

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
His work is so fucking good that I can't even name you another tech focused gaming channel. When Digital Foundry puts up an analysis on a game you may as well give up because you're not going to come even close.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man. John is my favorite guy over at DF, even my fiancée knows his voice by this point and she doesn't care a thing about tech videos. He has the best man voice for when I am taking a shower I'll tell you that. (Nothing beats showering and listening to a tech video. Don't judge me haha)

He's not bad looking at all. Sometimes life just comes at us from every way and we need to juggle those hits as we come. Hopefully he sees this thread and realizes how much people really appreciate his work.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Was thinking about making a thread like this after seeing his tweets.

I'm always looking forward to your videos John, you do fantastic work and I love how genuine your enthusiasm for this medium is. You rock.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely the YouTube coverage I appreciate most. The work that he and DF do in general is invaluable and has helped us so much over the years. Thanks John!

Can't wait to see the coverage on the Analogue Mega SG!

Metalmurphy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Are you serious John? You're not even bad looking. Just hit the Gym John, you'll feel much better about yourself and it'll boost your confidence. I guarantee you'll feel better in a less than 2 months.

Also, ignore Youtube comments.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Come on, Dark1x, don't let the fuckers get you down. Anyone who's insulting you personally, especially over something as vapid and ephemeral as looks, is not a person worth wasting your bandwidth on. You're doing something that reaches thousands and thousands of people, and that's going to draw anonymous jerks out of the woodwork. It says far more about their emptiness than it does about you.

Deleted member 54320

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
I've met John in person quite a few times and you know what? He's a bloody legend. Proper nice and I've never met someone who knows more about technical game stuff than him.

Trolls in comments and everywhere in between can sod off.

Aug 26, 2018
Our very own Dark1x Needs a pick me up today.

And I thought I would be a great idea to have an appreciation thread for John and for DF in general

Love you John your the best and DF is fantastic we love DF retro keep up the fantastic work.

Fuck the haters!

Dark1x I wish I was as loved and hated as you, your talent attracts all kind of opinions, just take them in your stride.

They may love you or hate you but they sure can't ignore you.

Maybe the force be with you. It can only get better from here :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
John is great, a fine Namco connoisseur, his retro work is among the best content on YouTube. It's the only channel I watch every video down to the last second

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Dark1x you're a genuine super star. I love reading your posts on here and get excited to watch each and every one of your videos on DF when the notification pops up on my phone!

Infuriatingly, being a much loved internet super star also comes with a downside: jealous trolls trying to damage your self confidence and bringing you down. Please, get help to try and ignore them. Just know that for every troll there are a thousand people who love you and the work you do.

You're beautiful John. You're you. Love being you. There's nobody else like you, and you should relish in it.

It's easier said than done which is why I say: get help. I've seen you getting down for a while now and there's no shame in getting help, it's the exact opposite. We all just want a happy John again, for your sake.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Your videos are amazing!!!! I love them. I've rewatched the video on DOOM 1 at least three times. Digital foundry retro gives me life and I had my mostly non gaming GF rolling at your coverage of the 2006 Sony E3 mistake.

I'm not really in the pc hardware game as much, as I'm mostly sticking to indie/older games (still most of my gaming time though) but when I look again one day then I'm going to follow your advice!

Also, just remove comments!

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Dark1x don't let the negativity of the internet drag you down. For every negative comment you see there are hundreds if not thousands of people who appreciate what you do. Keep your head up retro bro.

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
John's my favourite youtube 'personality'.

DF retro is some of the best video game related content you can watch.

Fedeuy

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hey John, for what is worth, you are a fantastic person, and all the work you do is awesome, fuck the haters.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Yup, love the videos and your presenting skills. Always like hearing your voice on DF videos too. Great work.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Love DF and how you and your colleagues make complex things seemingly very easy to understand. Keep doing what you're doing!

Oct 27, 2017
John's videos on more obscure games have been some of my favorite youtube content period. He's probably sold me on more games than any advertising campaign ever could. XD

But seriously, John, your content is fantastic. Whether it's retro or modern, I find your videos to be the most entertaining on Digital Foundry (Not to put down the others, they're great too). I know the internet can be harsh, for whatever reason most people seem to be massive jerks online, but know that there are tons of us who appreciate your work, even if we're not always the ones who are commenting on videos or twitter.

Also thanks for the video on Soul Reaver. I played through 1 and 2 for the first time last year, and they have become two of my favorites, and I never would have touched them if not for those videos.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
DF Retro is a fantastic series, I appreciate the look back on tech for the games of yesteryear and you commentary goes a long way in making the videos as enjoyable as they are.

Thank you Dark1x

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are the best person on the Digital Foundry team. I never really liked Leadbetter.

Hope you can pull through this difficult time.

Holy fucking shit, do you understand what John is saying about hurtful comments?

The lack of self awareness shown on this forum is staggering at times.

As for the OP, all I can say as someone who knows diddly squat about technology and how games are made that the whole DF crew are pretty awesome and the output they offer is unrivalled.

Ignore the irrelevance and the noise John and just you be you :)

logash

Oct 27, 2017
There is nothing like clicking an hour long DF retro video and hearing John break down classics. You can hear the passion in every word and I love him for that. Seriously, there is no one else on Earth that I rather listen to talk about water graphics for an hour :) Stay awesome John!

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
As a person who grew up in the nineties, and has fond memories of the 8/16/32 bit days, DF RETRO is by far my favorite channel on YouTube.
Whenever there's a new video I watch it immediately and am left wanting for moar!

But why are you letting internet trolls get to you, man? If you're gonna make public videos you're gonna have to get a thicker skin, I'm afraid.

Anyways, keep up the good work. I already recommended your channel to all my retro gaming friends.

Jan 2, 2018
Seriously,fuck the haters.
You should really be proud of yourself- you are part of a successful channel and personally,your videos are my favorite thing to watch on youtube right now.
Take care John,you and your work ARE appreciated.
Also,I really don't understand where the whole 'ugly' thing comes from,you look just fine to me,seriously.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I appreciate what you do and there's nothing wrong with how you look. Chances are the people who insult you are actually fat, greasy neckbeards.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I love John's aka Dark1x approach to videos. Also he's not a bad looking guy either.

John we love the work you do.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
You're awesome Dark1x and persistently provide brilliant content. Sorry you're hitting a low point but don't let it stop you,it would be such a shame to lose such a valuable contributor. Your posts and video output are useful to and enjoyed by so many. Ignore the people determined to be assholes and put no stock in their opinion, they're not worth your concern.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
John, your work is fantastic. I always enjoy DF videos, and especially DF Retro. I love deep dives into games and their inner workings, and comparisons between versions, and DF Retro provides both of those in an interesting, informative format. It reminds me of a video version of Retro Gamer magazine.

Keep up the great work and - as easy as I realise this is for me to say - try not to pay attention to people who use insults. They only do so because they either 1) know that they're wrong about something and don't want to admit it or 2) for some reason enjoy, or are too uncaring to feel bad about, upsetting people with their words while they hide behind a keyboard. In neither of those situations are their comments worth paying attention to.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Dark1x Unfortunately the comments section is never where you want to look for feedback these days. Too many awful pieces of shit who just say the worst things they can for their own sick amusement.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
John's retro DF videos are amazing. I always enjoy them and as someone who dabbles in video and gaming journalism I am extremely jealous of his great work. He also has superb taste in classic games and love when he highlights SEGA stuff especially things like the Quake Saturn port. Lots of people love what you're doing John. Keep up the awesome work!

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
John's videos (and DF 's in general) are a high point for me around every major launch. Also love the retro stuff. The amount of effort they put in is incredible. Keep doing what you're doing, John. Perhaps take a break for a few weeks. You've definitely deserved it.

On the subject of self-consciousness, I've never thought of myself very highly, but my partner thinks I'm mad and loves my, let's say, atypical looks (big honkin' nose that I've been really self-conscious about, among others). That's to say, these worries are mostly all in our heads, which doesn't make it easier of course, but it's a first step to appreciating yourself.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really like how active Dark1x is to answer question regarding DF and other tech specs. It might be a small thing for him, but it is a huge thing for me. I highly appreciate when he comes into threads not even about DF analysis and helps out other people regarding questions and other things.

That sort of things really makes me smile.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
DF is hands down the best gaming channel, and Dark1x is a huge part of it. Keep it up dude, you're great.

Status
Not open for further replies.