• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lil jetski

Nov 1, 2017
I could at least understand that one as I need to be listening for the phone (not just my phone but the boss' too when he's away). I'm waiting for a good day to ask him more clearly if there's SOMETHING I could do to pass the time (study guides, crossword, etc), but it's a moot point as I really want to do something else now.

I spoke to my real estate friend and they really sold me on the idea, to the point that I'm almost ready to actively pursue it. The environment seems to suit my style more: you set your hours, the time you want to speak to clients, etc, but it's important to also keep in constant communication with them via e-mail (which I already do with various online contacts: there's never a moment where I don't have a phone or PC in front of me). About the only con is that there is competition to go after your sale, but (at least as Miami is concerened) there are always people looking to buy property. Plus my parents are experts at renting owned property (they own four buildings), so I could further the real estate trade by learning from them to sell my own bought property.

I used to have a hard stance against commision-based jobs, but based on what they told me, selling even one property in a month would net me more money than I currently make in a year. I feel motivated to pursue this, though I'm still open to considering other avenues.

But yeah, getting up at 6:30 to sit in an office all day? Pretty much done with that (but of course I'm not quitting until I find something else).
I guess what I found weird is just that having those rules set by an office manager. That's the type of stuff you'd hear from a call center or fast food manager, I feel.

I have no experience from the real estate game, but if you have an in and hate your current job, go for it.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess what I found weird is just that having those rules set by an office manager. That's the type of stuff you'd hear from a call center or fast food manager, I feel.

I have no experience from the real estate game, but if you have an in and hate your current job, go for it.

It's a State job so they're probably more steadfast in following protocol.

He's a very nice and patient boss, so I plan to ask him later this week, but all I can think about now is pursuing something else.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Another thing I've been meaning to do was to ask a local or online college counselor for advice on how to supplement my existing degree, if I decided to go that route.

Last time I tried, though, the counselor wouldn't give advice to a non-registered student. Any particular online colleges where I could get some decent non-BS answers from a counselor? Perhaps there's something I could earn in a reasonable amount of time that would benefit my job searching significantly.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
I got an interview in San Francisco (but the job will be at a different office) but I don't live close to there. Is it normal practice for the company to compensate my travel? Would I hurt my chances if I ask for compensation?
I ask because I've had flight and hotel arranged for me before, but that was at a company which was more open with the purse strings.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I got an interview in San Francisco (but the job will be at a different office) but I don't live close to there. Is it normal practice for the company to compensate my travel? Would I hurt my chances if I ask for compensation?
I ask because I've had flight and hotel arranged for me before, but that was at a company which was more open with the purse strings.
I think it's normal for them to do it, since they're asking you to fly out. I don't imagine it would hurt your candidacy.

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
been in a new job since February 2017, pretty chilled and good job, massive restructure announced and I have been informed I now must do a job that I never signed up for. I now am at the point where after 10 years here I will need to find a brand new job. ( The job itself is a job I left for this one - caused me to suffer major depression and have suicidal thoughts}.

I'm 31, engaged and my fiancee were literally about to put a deposit on a house. I have never been University but I have been given an unconditional offer to do Computer Science at University (did it as precautionary measure as rumors about job changes have been rampant).

I do have a job interview at the same place for a much better job, also possibly another person has also asked to swap into my new position and both he and I and our new managers have said it would ok to swap but it has dawned upon me that I need to get out this place asap.

sorry for the rant all

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I get so tired of constantly being told "follow your dreams" or "go with your passion". At least in my case, both of those are nigh unobtainable as far as realistic careers go.

It doesn't help that I can't exactly narrow down what my dreams are, because I dream often:

-A writer, either for books, comics, movies or videogames

-A director, same above

-An actor (based entirely on nothing; I don't have any acting experience, I just get this idea sometimes on account of being told I'm "good looking" and "have a good public speaking voice")

-A game developer (I'm not crunching myself to oblivion in an industry that sounds less stable by the day)

-A professional YouTuber (groups like The Super Best Friends make it look so fun and chill. I'm sure behind the scenes it's way harder and stressful, but still)

The best I can hope for is to dabble in some of those areas during my free time and see if anything comes from it. Otherwise as far as living goes, I have to focus on what's available and reasonably obtainable.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Focus on one job and industry.

I wish I could, but my indecisiveness constantly has me bouncing between career ideas over the fear I'll chose the "wrong" one.

My friend is just two classes away from finishing his IT masters. He hasn't researched even ONCE over the actual work he would be doing and whether or not he would like it. He just went for it blindly and without hestitation.

I wish I could do that: part of me thinks that's foolish, the other part acknowledges I'm the fool for constantly stressing that any job path I take is "permanent". But I would love nothing more than to erase that doubt from my mind. If only there was an easy way to get the unbiased details of a career so I can sit and think "Hey, that is/isn't for me!"

yankeeh8er

Oct 26, 2017
Dracula Georgia
Wow I cant believe I didnt see this thread before. I am currently teaching high school in Las Vegas. I have a Master's in Physics. I am desperate to either switch careers or at least find a teaching job in the Philadelphia area that would be close to what I am currently making. Unfortunately I used to teach for the School District of Philadelphia and when I resigned my position to take a job in Vegas I did not give them the proper notice. I am barred from ever working for them again due to this. I tried appealing the decision but they said no. I have gone on a few interviews trying to get into the nuclear power industry but so far no luck. All my family in near Philly and I have 2 small children who havent met any of their relatives on my side of the family except for my mom. My wife and I are also terrified of raising children in Nevada since the education out here is so terrible. I am constantly searching on different job sites but I havent found anything yet. I will go through all the links in the OP and see if maybe I can find something for me back east. Thanks for making this thread OP.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
Why are you applying for the job, and what makes you qualified (or why do you think you can do it)? Start with those.

Alternatively, if you really think it's a long shot, what about applying without a cover letter?
I was told that applications without cover letters get ignored. I think I didn't really have a problem with this before; I've applied to a bunch of jobns that I didn't have the experience with and I'm just applying for the money, but I think I'm having a hard time now because I'm depressed about my situation. In truth I'm applying because I'm unemployed and need money, but of course you're not supposed to say that.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I was told that applications without cover letters get ignored. I think I didn't really have a problem with this before; I've applied to a bunch of jobns that I didn't have the experience with and I'm just applying for the money, but I think I'm having a hard time now because I'm depressed about my situation. In truth I'm applying because I'm unemployed and need money, but of course you're not supposed to say that.
YMMV, of course, but I got my current job, as well as two interview requests from no-joke big companies applying without a cover letter. I didn't do it because I didn't think they'd be interested, but it worked out.

Someone I think back on GAF also entered one of these threads and said not to bother with cover letters in general. I wasn't really keen on that idea then, but I think I'm with him now.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Hell, I don't think I've even written a cover letter before, and I was getting calls left and right during my last job hunt, so your mileage might vary when it comes to cover letters. I would say unless they tell you straight up that they want one during the application process, then you can just ignore em.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'd say to try to fake some enthusiasm in the letter. I mean, see why you are trying to apply to that job and not other. Maybe the industry picks your attention, or you think your skills can be a plus to the company or are what goes in line with the job.
I usually tied to say something like "I'm interesting in making a career in this industry, I feel this is a good fit for me according to your job description and my skills go in hand with what you are looking for, so I will be useful" but in more flowery language of course.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still have no idea how to write an effective cover letter. I've been told keep it down to a paragraph or less, so I just focus more on something courtesous and to the point then listing off all the skills and qualifications that would already be listed on my resume.

I especially hate this extra mandatory question of "Tell us something interesting about yourself" that I'm seeing pop up in some applications.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
I especially hate this extra mandatory question of "Tell us something interesting about yourself" that I'm seeing pop up in some applications.
Yeah, I've always ignored that kind of request altogether. Or tell them that you can predict the future and that they're welcome to congratulate you on being hired at their company in a few weeks. (Don't do that.)

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I've always ignored that kind of request altogether. Or tell them that you can predict the future and that they're welcome to congratulate you on being hired at their company in a few weeks. (Don't do that.)

I just write "I'm Batman".

And I can't ignore the question.

Oct 27, 2017
Is this the place to ask if I needed help starting a career, where do I start?

Am I allowed to ask that here? lol

I want to start in IT security but have no idea where to, I want to develop an career all around computers and software.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017

I want to start in IT security but have no idea where to, I want to develop an career all around computers and software.
Do you have a degree related to computer work? If not, have you looking into a degree program for it? If yes, are you job hunting for those kind of specific positions, be it by yourself or with a staffing agency?

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have a degree related to computer work? If not, have you looking into a degree program for it? If yes, are you job hunting for those kind of specific positions, be it by yourself or with a staffing agency?

Well I'm from Australia for one and I don't have any degree or certification.

I just need to find the right department, then the job role and study towards it.

I just don't know where to start, been looking at TAFE courses but not sure which ones.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well I'm from Australia for one and I don't have any degree or certification.

I just need to find the right department, then the job role and study towards it.

I just don't know where to start, been looking at TAFE courses but not sure which ones.

I ran into the same problem as you: I'm still not 100% certain if the IT path is the one for me, but no matter how many times I put it off or try to look at alternatives, I keep coming back to it.

I've bugged the folks in these boards constantly about it, and the consensus is that school isn't necessary. Start with A+, which is what I've been doing, and follow this guy's YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG49S3nxzAnmlC1ZsppuM7yleDuYCMHrv

He literally goes through every material for every IT certification.

I also found this practice test site that, as far as I'm aware, contains all the questions for the exam (someone verify with me please):

https://www.examcompass.com/comptia-a-plus-certification-exam-display-devices-quiz

No excuses left for me at this point, other than my own self doubt.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
LinkedIn should be a tool for any job hunters with a skillset.

Any degreed engineers on here (except for IT people) I advise you to at least get your EIT license. It'll only open doors. Might not ever need it, but having your EIT won't ever hurt your chances.

Oct 27, 2017
I ran into the same problem as you: I'm still not 100% certain if the IT path is the one for me, but no matter how many times I put it off or try to look at alternatives, I keep coming back to it.

I've bugged the folks in these boards constantly about it, and the consensus is that school isn't necessary. Start with A+, which is what I've been doing, and follow this guy's YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG49S3nxzAnmlC1ZsppuM7yleDuYCMHrv

He literally goes through every material for every IT certification.

I also found this practice test site that, as far as I'm aware, contains all the questions for the exam (someone verify with me please):

https://www.examcompass.com/comptia-a-plus-certification-exam-display-devices-quiz

No excuses left for me at this point, other than my own self doubt.

Thanks!!

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
LinkedIn should be a tool for any job hunters with a skillset.

Any degreed engineers on here (except for IT people) I advise you to at least get your EIT license. It'll only open doors. Might not ever need it, but having your EIT won't ever hurt your chances.

I really wish I knew how to network properly in that site.

Let's say I've got experience writing reviews for videogames (I have a lot of it). If I wanted to seek out network contacts and potential careers in that field using LinkedIn, how would I go about that? All I've managed to figure out is making a nice profile and using its job postings (which are no less spam heavy than other job searching sites). What about joining startup companies or groups that are local to my area? Like maybe someone is creating a group for streaming LPs on YouTube and are seeking local folks they can bounce off of? Or, more realistically, an up and coming IT company seeking someone who doesn't have certs but is willing to learn on the job.

Is it more important to befriend peeps or follow companies? Or both?

Shouldn't we have a LinkedIn spreadsheet or something to share?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in this weird situation where I've applied to a bunch of jobs in my field (IT) as well as some "oh god what if no one calls me back" jobs like phone sales jobs. I've gotten some initial responses on a couple of the IT positions, however with one of the backup jobs (DialAmerica) it's progressed quickly enough that I have an interview on Tuesday. Like, this is not a job I'm interested in at all, and I don't want to take it for a week (assuming I even get it) and then suddenly leave because one of my IT leads worked out. But at the same time I don't want to be sitting here a month from now unemployed because I passed up an opportunity. I guess I'm just going to have to go with the flow and see what happens.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm in this weird situation where I've applied to a bunch of jobs in my field (IT) as well as some "oh god what if no one calls me back" jobs like phone sales jobs. I've gotten some initial responses on a couple of the IT positions, however with one of the backup jobs (DialAmerica) it's progressed quickly enough that I have an interview on Tuesday. Like, this is not a job I'm interested in at all, and I don't want to take it for a week (assuming I even get it) and then suddenly leave because one of my IT leads worked out. But at the same time I don't want to be sitting here a month from now unemployed because I passed up an opportunity. I guess I'm just going to have to go with the flow and see what happens.

For me, if my unemployment goes through then I wouldn't want to accept any job that paid equal or less than what I'd be getting through the unemployment checks. Otherwise what's the point?

Philia

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is still looking more on a professional side. :\ Still out of my league.

Anyway, anyone have job advice for a deaf older lady? I'm looking to take on a second job, preferably second shift or at least evening/night shift if possible. I'm looking to get into the healthcare field, probably home healthcare aide or something. I don't know where to start however. I've been recommended by the Good Will program that gets you started on that.

Only have an associate degree in arts but that was 10+ years ago. Has some minor experience in administrative (1 year) , major experience (8+ years) in retail, and good amount of experience in pet care (two years by two different employers). I'm not completely deaf, as in I wear a hearing aid and I can converse with people just fine. My biggest problem is phone calls and automated voices.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I have really valuable experience but I'm trying to find other jobs in Texas and I've had no luck so far. I want to leave my company.

I'm a chemical engineer with 3 years of experience at a Fortune 50 company with my EIT and many technical and business skills. I'm bilingual and I got great grades and I have a lot of accomplishments. The market just seems not that great for engineers right now. Everyone wants an engineer like me, but with exact experience in an exactly specific thing. But my most valuable skill is that I can learn pretty much anything very quickly (I have to interface across all kinds of branches in engineering) but meh. I applied to 20 jobs just this week and already have a lot of rejection emails.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Only have an associate degree in arts but that was 10+ years ago. Has some minor experience in administrative (1 year) , major experience (8+ years) in retail, and good amount of experience in pet care (two years by two different employers). I'm not completely deaf, as in I wear a hearing aid and I can converse with people just fine. My biggest problem is phone calls and automated voices.

Your experience is definitely stacked on the retail side. In which case I would look into job training programs or certifications. Retail doesn't have much of a future, especially in terms of job security.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to go through a course for SEO certification. Somebody suggested this free one on Udemy.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was actually going to ask about courses. If someone has a handy list of free ones like what you mentioned, mainly in the IT, Graphic Design or Programming fields, please let me know.

But what I was going to ask was whether anyone knew if Groupon or other similar sites had cheap courses I could enroll in that would benefit me in learning any of the above trades. Say there was a course to teach Java without the costly commitment of a University enrollment. Things like that.

I'm thinking that if I just dabble in each area through learning courses, I may discover what I actually like doing and follow that career path. More than anything I would like to have that knowledge so that I can finally commit to one specific career field without constantly wondering if I would be good at it or if it was "for me".

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
But what I was going to ask was whether anyone knew if Groupon or other similar sites had cheap courses I could enroll in that would benefit me in learning any of the above trades. Say there was a course to teach Java without the costly commitment of a University enrollment. Things like that.
Are there any nearby community colleges in your area? Some of them offer short classes on things like web design and intro programming classes both on and off campus. I know CPCC calls them "Corporate and Continuing Education Classes" here but they are open up to anyone. Not sure how cheap you need these classes to be though. These classes run around $200, not including the bundles or classes that include certification tests.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are there any nearby community colleges in your area? Some of them offer short classes on things like web design and intro programming classes both on and off campus. I know CPCC calls them "Corporate and Continuing Education Classes" here but they are open up to anyone. Not sure how cheap you need these classes to be though. These classes run around $200, not including the bundles or classes that include certification tests.

Money and time aside, there's also the fact that there are lots of free material online that seems to be just as comprehensive as the classes. My mother showed me a local university class for A+ certification, but there's a whole playlist on YouTube as well as practice exam questions that I've been looking at for free. It has me wondering how much material is learnable online and how much would be better off attending a live class for.

I really wish I could just stick with a profession and stop hesitating, but I constantly worry about making the same mistakes I've made before, where I jump into a field only to realize that it wasn't "for me", or worse yet that I wasn't suitable to the career profession. If only there was some way I could get that assurance.

As it stands, I'm split between IT Security (which I'm studying for the A+ cert and applying to Help Desk I jobs, albeit slowly) and focusing more time on creative avenues such as video editing (Premiere Pro) and, if I can finally muster up the backbone, drawing. I keep hoping the latter side of things can lead to a fulfilling career, because I clearly enjoy the creative aspect more, but there's a reason the term "starving artist" exists.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Money and time aside, there's also the fact that there are lots of free material online that seems to be just as comprehensive as the classes. My mother showed me a local university class for A+ certification, but there's a whole playlist on YouTube as well as practice exam questions that I've been looking at for free. It has me wondering how much material is learnable online and how much would be better off attending a live class for.

I really wish I could just stick with a profession and stop hesitating, but I constantly worry about making the same mistakes I've made before, where I jump into a field only to realize that it wasn't "for me", or worse yet that I wasn't suitable to the career profession. If only there was some way I could get that assurance.

As it stands, I'm split between IT Security (which I'm studying for the A+ cert and applying to Help Desk I jobs, albeit slowly) and focusing more time on creative avenues such as video editing (Premiere Pro) and, if I can finally muster up the backbone, drawing. I keep hoping the latter side of things can lead to a fulfilling career, because I clearly enjoy the creative aspect more, but there's a reason the term "starving artist" exists.

I'd say you just stop 2nd guessing yourself and go with whatever it is you are doing at the moment.

So get that A+, and do the video editing as a side thing.

Not sure what your daily schedule is, but try waking up extra early and dabbling within your hobbies to get your fix or do something productive early, then coming back to your hobbies later in the day.

Hope this helps.

UPDATE ON ME: Just bought two courses on Udemy, PowerShell and Linux, hoping to fluff out my IT resume as much as I can lol.

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd say you just stop 2nd guessing yourself and go with whatever it is you are doing at the moment.

So get that A+, and do the video editing as a side thing.

Not sure what your daily schedule is, but try waking up extra early and dabbling within your hobbies to get your fix or do something productive early, then coming back to your hobbies later in the day.

Hope this helps.

I've actually since been putting time into learning code: I'm using https://learn.freecodecamp.org/ and I've completed the HTML section, working on CSS now.

I think I would like the web/app development side better since it's less CS-focused and more of a creative kind of job. It's like being an interior decorator only for websites.

The only thing I worry about is how long it would take before I've learned enough to be considered for a job on the entry level, and how difficult it would be to get into the field. It's also got me wondering what kind of work I should be looking for in the meantime, as ideally it would be great to have a job that is relevant to the field (thus making my resume more attractive to companies).

Maybe I should still work on that A+ if it lands me a job faster. Computers is computers.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I've actually since been putting time into learning code: I'm using https://learn.freecodecamp.org/ and I've completed the HTML section, working on CSS now.

I think I would like the web/app development side better since it's less CS-focused and more of a creative kind of job. It's like being an interior decorator only for websites.

The only thing I worry about is how long it would take before I've learned enough to be considered for a job on the entry level, and how difficult it would be to get into the field. It's also got me wondering what kind of work I should be looking for in the meantime, as ideally it would be great to have a job that is relevant to the field (thus making my resume more attractive to companies).

Maybe I should still work on that A+ if it lands me a job faster. Computers is computers.

More power to you, best of luck!

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been dong freelance work since being laid off almost four years ago. Someone should really hire me!

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I had an appointment at the local career center this morning as a required meeting for my unemployment insurance. It was very helpful, but it was also just such a big info dump it all left me kinda stressed.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017

The problem you're going to face is that starting in IT security is not very realistic. Security is kind of like "end game" IT professional. You need to be really knowledgeable in basically every area in order to be effective. That means all the layers from hardware, operating system, programming, software, and network, and how it all fits together. Here's the plan I would recommend to anyone looking to get into cybersecurity:

1. Get a degree in some IT related field. This doesn't have to be a 4 year degree - look for technical schools offering 2 year programs in things like Networking or Programming. Either one is fine. If there isn't a tech school around you, go to a community college for 2 years, knock out your general eds, and then transfer into a school for information systems or computer science. Schools like WGU are also great because it's a merit based, fully online school, and they offer great cybersecurity programs. A degree program there would also be great for someone looking to change careers because they can work while going to school.

2. Get your A+ certification. Should be pretty easy after graduating from college.

3. Try to land some type of help desk or user support role. Every business has tech support people, it shouldn't be that hard to find a job here. You might be able to land one of these jobs while still in college.

4. Work there for a few years building knowledge, like 2-3 years. Never stop learning. Start looking to transfer into some of the more advanced domains. Try to find what you're passionate about and start focusing there. Maybe it's networking or databases or programming. You can't possibly plan to know which of these you'll like until you get exposure. Study Security+, Cisco CCNA, Microsoft MCSE, and any courses on Python you can get.

5. Once you have 2-3 years experience or so and the above certs, you're probably ready to get into Cybersecurity. Start looking for entry level analyst jobs. Yes, even though you have years experience, you will probably start at a entry level analyst. It's ok because these jobs pay extremely well.

6. After a few years of analyst level work you're probably ready for Incident Response or forensics work. By this time in your career you don't need anyone to tell you what you're passion is or where you want to go.

7. After advanced security work like the above, you might be ready to do penetration testing or security research. This is like 5-6 years down the line minimum. For most people more.

Obviously the timeline can be shorter or longer depending on your motivation and every persons situation is different.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Glad we're still talking IT, because I received a very interesting call today from a recruiter who said that they pulled my name from an unemployment database.

From what I could gather, their academy offers training for different IT-related certifications and, according to them, the courses are 100% paid for by the government via grant. Nothing comes out of my pocket, not even after the fact.

Here's a snippet from the e-mail they sent me:

Let me give you more information about what we do: we work directly as a Liaison with Career Source in Miami Dade, Palm Beach and Broward County to equip and retool candidates to become certified with the most current certifications in the IT field, therefore making you more valuable to employ The best part of this program called WIOA (Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act): it's not a loan -- it's a Federal Grant that covers courses, onsite certified instructors, books and exam vouchers. (See more information about the WIOA Grant attached.)

CareerSource (formerly known as Workforce) will cover all cost of training including testing in hopes of assisting you to find or secure employment in the IT field.

Find below some of the approved programs that will be 100% covered by this grant in case you are approved. Certifications Like: A+, Network +, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA, SQL, MCSD, VMWare, CISSP, Security +, CEH, Office, QuickBooks, among others.

The Academy offers the following career tracks for prospective students:

· Network Technician Program –CompTIA A+ and Network+, Microsoft MCSA/MCSE & Security+ (This is the program that I suggested)

· Application Architect Program - MCSE SQL, MCSE App Builder, MCSA Web Applications

· Virtualization Professional Program - CCNA, VCP

· Cyber Security Professional - CISSP, CEH, Security+

· Project Management Professional (PMP)- CompTIA Security+, CompTIA Project+ & Project Management Professional (PMP) from PMI (NEW!!!)

They want to meet on Friday, and well....I have to admit I'm both surprised and skeptical. Ideally this sounds like an opportunity I couldn't refuse: the very certs and training that I was looking for, AND job placement? And it's all free?

I need to research this as best I can, but I would love it if anyone here could tell me if this was all legitimate. There HAS to be a catch, right?

Oct 26, 2017
California
Wow I cant believe I didnt see this thread before. I am currently teaching high school in Las Vegas. I have a Master's in Physics. I am desperate to either switch careers or at least find a teaching job in the Philadelphia area that would be close to what I am currently making. Unfortunately I used to teach for the School District of Philadelphia and when I resigned my position to take a job in Vegas I did not give them the proper notice. I am barred from ever working for them again due to this. I tried appealing the decision but they said no. I have gone on a few interviews trying to get into the nuclear power industry but so far no luck. All my family in near Philly and I have 2 small children who havent met any of their relatives on my side of the family except for my mom. My wife and I are also terrified of raising children in Nevada since the education out here is so terrible. I am constantly searching on different job sites but I havent found anything yet. I will go through all the links in the OP and see if maybe I can find something for me back east. Thanks for making this thread OP.

This made me laugh.

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest fear is slowly becoming true. I left a lead bookkeeping job I had in 2016 mainly because I was overworked + my Dad had a major car accident and I had to take time off to go down to North Carolina and take care of him + run his business, a landscaping . Everything was somewhat back to normal around the end of January 2018 and I came back home, and have been looking for jobs like a madman. I fear that I'm too overqualified for entry level stuff, but cannot get to the next round of interviews for jobs at the level I should be going after.

It's super depressing, and everytime I see that god damn Indeed.com commercial with a guy who went for a Management job with no what appears no management experience get the job on the spot is just infuriating.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
There's got to be a better way for me to find a job than just applying for shit online through Indeed, Linkedin, ZipRecruiter and my college's career page. Can anyone give me any tips? I've been around this so long I know how long this could take if I just continue to do this. It took me 4 years to get my last job and other time's like almost a year before I got something. I spent many years in school and am actively trying to avoid jobs with shitty pay and manual labor too. I need to get out of my mom's house and get a car and a license.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
There's got to be a better way for me to find a job than just applying for shit online through Indeed, Linkedin, ZipRecruiter and my college's career page. Can anyone give me any tips? I've been around this so long I know how long this could take if I just continue to do this. It took me 4 years to get my last job and other time's like almost a year before I got something. I spent many years in school and am actively trying to avoid jobs with shitty pay and manual labor too. I need to get out of my mom's house and get a car and a license.

A big part of finding a job today is about networking. Go to a job fair, hand out your resume. Chat with recruiters and get some business cards. If nothing else it's a way to get some more contacts.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Pretty sure I just fell flat during this phone interview which sucks. I kind of rushed through it because I was at the gym working out. Ughhhhh.