• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Are all this dudes videos basically the same thing
No, the Jimquisition is about highlighting some shitty thing in the gaming industry, Jimpressions is more of an informal look at a game similar to a GB Quick look, he's got a ton of content out there, but he's not for everyone.

I enjoy it because it's pretty easy to point people his way to get a detailed explanation of why things like lootboxes are shitty.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Are all this dudes videos basically the same thing

His last 4 jimqusitions were on

Game specific subscriptions
Disappointment with Pokemon over Dexit
Blizzard's non apology at blizzcon
Bots that pretend to be real people in games

But yes, clearly he talks about the same things week after week

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Imagine an Animal Crossing: New Horizon's Island Living Subscription? Pay 6.99$ for more Islands, helper, and a quest system to send animals on fetch quests around the world?

Yeah. This deserves to be heavily criticized.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
On-topic, that 1st Pocket Camp subscription is vile by design.

"Pay us money so you can play the game less!" Yeah, that's really gonna sell me on both your subscription and your game.

Nov 3, 2017
I lost it at the dance number. Ant that double subscription is just.. gah. Why? Mobile gaming really has become a cesspit.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
what is the purple dog thing he always uses to symbolize greed?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm never subscribing to a game or game service ever again. For me that ended with Final Fantasy XI, character held hostage after so much work put into it. If I'm ever doing anything like that again it's going to be something like Warframe / Path of Exile, Dragon Age / Pillars of Eternity, Epic Game Store weekly free game vs Game Pass (I'm not playing most of those games on either store, may as well not feel pressure to keep a sub going so I can finish the one game I did start playing).

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Every video this dude puts out is him complaining about something. Doesn't that get tiring?
Yeah, his "best games of the year" videos usually get something like a tenth of the views his "worst of the year" videos do.
For a guy who lives and dies by views (though maybe not, since he's on patreon), he has to gravitate towards being more critical, if that's what people want to watch.
Also see Yahtzee, as even his positive stuff is littered with negativity.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
There is a Full Moon Features subscription. WTF?
tumblr_inline_p1y7p0KUC41rmzi73_540.gif

Perturabo

Oct 27, 2017
Subscription services, especially for full priced games, can get fucked. Ubi is even adding a battle pass to R6, a game that already as a yearly season pass, an in game store, and event loot boxes that can only be purchased with real money.

Edit: oh and the game is 4 years old, and they're just now adding a battlepass.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Now that we somehow derailed into a The Raccoons discussion. I wonder how many people Sophia Tutu awoke...
MV5BNzgwOGI5ZmMtZTEyYi00N2E4LWEyNjMtY2UzMmY3MTRiYjc5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTM3MDMyMDQ@._V1_.jpg

In-Game Subscriptions and GaaS can get fucked. To contribute to the topic.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Oct 2, 2018
Jim does complain a lot. I subbed... then unsubbed. From time to time ill watch a video but it's hard to sit through them

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Yeah, his "best games of the year" videos usually get something like a tenth of the views his "worst of the year" videos do.
For a guy who lives and dies by views (though maybe not, since he's on patreon), he has to gravitate towards being more critical, if that's what people want to watch.
Also see Yahtzee, as even his positive stuff is littered with negativity.

My primary issues with Jim is not Jim so much but more his zealous super fans who go into a piranha like frenzy if you deign to criticize or express disagreement with one of his premises. It usually starts with some utterance like "You disagree with Sterling? YOU CORPORATE SHILL!!!" or similar hyper defensiveness. The problem is as I see it is that so many of the people that make up Jim's primary fan base take what he says, do little to no secondary source research, and then jump on message boards and comment sections just to parrot what his latest video told them with little to no critical thinking on display.

So in some sense these fans have to double down in their defense of his videos and every premise he floats because that is functionally all they got. Additionally, I'm all for Jim's steadfast desire to advocate for consumers but sometimes, just sometimes, he seems to be advocating more for Jim than for his viewer's wallets.

Note: Jim's use of WoW to bolster this specific video's argument was where I started to roll my eyes and that was like three minutes in. It wasa rather faulty conflation. I finished the video but if one is going to rant one better make sure every example they use is sound relative to the other.

I know right? If only we weren't literally being forced to watch Jim Sterling Videos and comment in Jim Sterling threads, we might be able to ignore them and find content we do like

OH! THANKS! You mean like the Jedi: Fallen Order OT where every few pages a person (no doubt a Sterling acolyte) derails the thread taking it into yet another discussion about EA's bullshit, micro-transactions, and other things (which thus far J:FO has none of) instead of talking about the actual freaking game? Makes sense.

Hmm... a visual It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia reference to make some kind of point but... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eastsidegames.alwayssunny&hl=en_US

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hmm... a visual It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia reference to make some kind of point but... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eastsidegames.alwayssunny&hl=en_US

TBH, I 100% think most corporations are, on some level, guilty of unethical business practices.
No kidding a show is gonna merchandise itself, they'd hardly be the first. Being a Disney supporter also does "support" a company that low balls its employees while Iger is literally worth hundreds o' millions -- but it ain't that simple, is it?

Last edited:

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
TBH, I 100% think most corporations are, on some level, guilty of unethical business practices.
No kidding a show is gonna merchandise itself, they'd hardly be the first.

Completely agree but that speaks to my vexation. Sometimes I wonder what planet Jim lives on where he doesn't see that the same practices he rails against permeate into every single industry, business, or corporation in some kind of way. The way he frames it you'd think ( watching a video in a vacuum) that the games industry is the only industry guilty of the practices that disgust him. YouTube his very own platform is guilty of the same practices in many ways. I think some people have voiced or complained about his negativity because his narrow focus naturally leads to repetition sometimes. He does hit on a different artery of malfeasance I hadn't thought of from time to time but that , for me, is like 3-4 videos out of every 10. So yeah... I think it is reasonable and not trolling to note the repetitive nature but it is also fair to acknowledge that this is where he decided to focus from the beginning so it is what it is.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
This trend needs to fuck off.

He's spot-on in that developers will add grind or whatever else to a game to then sell you the solution, and people are dumb enough to defend it.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
im surprised by people getting upset at the fact that he keeps the critique up regarding growing extra monetization in games

its been one of the things that has been most consistently hated here and some of you are mad that he keeps calling it out for what it is? kinda weird

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
He's enterely right on most of his videos, still a little bit too invested on his battle against monetization.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Antagonizing Other Users; Accusation of Shilling; Numerous Prior Bans for Inflammatory Behavior
Alright whichever one of Jim's platinum tier patreons that reported me for 'drive by posting' wants to regret their decision, i'm here to argue with you since it apparently bothers you so much about the reception and discourse of your thinly veiled viral marketing for this dude.

Continue to support someone who has nothing unique to contribute to the gaming medium conversation while picking at the lowest hanging fruit with videos that all boil down to the exact same 'epic gamer clapback.' Imagine if he actually spent that time promoting alternatives, but that doesn't get as many views from the most oppressed race in history, the gamers, does it?

Report this too.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
The big takeaway from this episode is that's a William Dafoe figure on his podium.

I have always thought it was Eric Roberts.