• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I mean, I don't exactly love Nasu's style of writing but I can appreciate that his world building is very detailed and theoretically consistent due to it.

I just wouldn't exactly say KH is less convoluted/confusing/coherent compared to it, especially due to how his line-by-like writing reads.

(for context: I played a route and a half of the VN many years ago; I don't dislike the series or anything)

You didn't go further? Man the payoff is so huge. Of course that's what the anime adaptions are for, but they are fundamentally different experiences without the nuance and the getting into people's heads to know their exact feelings and viewpoints.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I hope any Kingdom Hearts fans angered by this video weren't on the other side of the fence when Jim did this same thing to the Shenmue community.

That would be very hypocritical of them...

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Im actually fine with the story itself, its just the voice acting, direction, and cinematography have always been really poor in my eyes with a game so set on making you care about its story and characters

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'll watch this later, but based on the title he's not wrong.

I don't know why people are getting angry and saying he should just ignore the games or not engage with them. Can't y'all follow your own advice and ignore his content if it bothers you?

KH is a series I enjoy because the gameplay is fun and it has a decently engaging story. The overarching plot, though, is an impenetrable mess with time travel, duplicate characters, and wonky terminology that makes it very difficult to follow along. The unwillingness to progress the story (leading to constant prequels, interquels, and alterquels?) in the half dozen spin offs split across a half dozen ecosystems doesn't help.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
THe people saying the insane plot and endearing characters is the reason the more dedicated fanbase loves this games arent wrong. In addition to the gameplay, music and atmosphere of course.

Same reason as Soulsborne?

Yes

I just got done playing Soulsborne franchise myself and...yeah that's a lot to take in. It could be made fun of just as well in that convoluted nature. But its still a great series because of that denseness, and i think KH is much the same.

Deleted member 18742

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im actually fine with the story itself, its just the voice acting, direction, and cinematography have always been really poor in my eyes with a game so set on making you care about its story and characters
Writing is the worst part. I think the cinematography and voice acting has gotten way better over the years for KH. Dont forget that these VAs are working with a really shitty script so its not their fault

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's never touched the series, that's pretty much exactly how it all comes off to me lol. However I am also someone who has no trouble following the story of the Guilty Gear series so like, I Get It.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
I was mildly intrigued about getting KH3 but any attempts to get caught up left me bewildered. I didn't end up getting Dragon Quest XI though, maybe I should play that.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017

I mean... WTF.
giphy.gif

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I hope any Kingdom Hearts fans angered by this video weren't on the other side of the fence when Jim did this same thing to the Shenmue community.

That would be very hypocritical of them...

The fact that jim decided now was a time to say "Shenmue with a great historical significance to video games is shit cause its an old game"? Yeah i wasnt feeling that video either. I get the remaster messed up some things and many elements didnt age well, but you dont have to be a dick about it.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you put it out in a confusing timeline like that, of course its going to sound intimidating and confusing for people who have no context for any of it. But if you actually go through the franchise normally, then it becomes 90% less confusing.

To begin with though, why would you immediately throw out the ENTIRE nasuverse lore at once, instead of easing people into specific series to get them up to speed on basic lore and world view like your supposed to?
Because we're talking about the entire franchise as a whole, not what entry you should start with. KH isn't confusing if you start with KH1 and ease your way into it normally. But that's not what the video is discussing. It's discussing full knowledge of all of KH up until this point. If the same thing happened with Fate, with people trying to have full knowledge of Fate (not just FSN, all of Fate) up to this point, then we'd be getting the same "_____ is a stupid gibberish mess" videos that KH is getting right now. Sure, it all boils down to Grail Wars and the Throne of Heroes, but KH can be said to just boil down to Keyblade Wars, Hearts, and Darkness. But that's before you start throwing in alternate universes, wars on the moon, time travel, and the Reverse Side of the World. That's all I'm trying to point out. So yeah, as a whole, the franchise of Fate is just as confusing as KH is, if not more due to having more entries.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
As someone that has ONLY played KH1, KH2 and now KH3 I can reliably inform anyone that's wondering, that it's a perfectly fun, entertaining, and connected experience. I have no interest in the other titles, at all, and always took them to be, on face value, some extra optional storylines and plot developments. Maybe I am missing some important elements by ignoring them all entirely... but I still had a blast, so not a biggie for me!

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
If anyone is actually confused as to why these videos are coming out now: the game is releasing soon. It's relevant content because it discusses a game that is about to release. Like literally any other video about games that are soon to release. Why is anyone confused about this?

Jan 2, 2018
Have the people in this thread that are complainig about this video even watched it? Jim played and liked/loved KH 1 and 2 and he is frustrated with the direction the series headed after that. What's so wrong about his opinion? I never played KH, but as an onlooker this seems like a sound response in regards of the million spin-offs between the numbered entries.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
From all the hot takes recently It seems that most people largely ignored all the spin offs and only played either 1 or 2 and are coming back to the series utterly lost.
Yeah, how dare people ignore non-numbered titles that aren't on a consistent platform?

Jim ain't wrong here. Hell, most reviews mention that the story is convoluted, with most of the emotional payoff of the 3rd entry relying on extensive knowledge of the handheld interquels and prequels over the past decade. That said, I'll probably enjoy KH3 regardless, but the story is absolutely convoluted "fight for my friends" anime trash, with the added layer of time travel just to make it that much worse.

Oct 25, 2017
It blows my mind square decided to make a video game series with Disney characters that has such convoluted plotlines.

The series isn't for me but I'm glad other people like it. That doesn't invalidate Jim's criticisms.

Last edited:

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
100% my feelings. I dread the thought of going through another cutscene of absurd over complicated gibberish plot. I just want to explore Disney world and characters, with some narrative thread that can keep some interest instead of making me immediately roll my eyes back and throw my suspension of disbelief all the way to Jupiter.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Getting tired of all these hot takes on the Kingdom Hearts series from people who the series clearly isn't for and never resonated with over the last 17 years. Why do they feel the need to remind everyone of their feelings on it every few years instead of just ignoring it?
Doesn't matter who it's for. It really is gibberish and not really a hot take. One of the main reasons I don't put too much emphasis on story. Too often a silly subject tries to take itself seriously and it ends up being bad. KH is one if them. The games can be fun and the story can be gibberish at the same time.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
i haven't followed KH3 at all, but realistically, which plots to the spin-offs do you need to have familiarity with for the KH3 plot to make sense?

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Because we're talking about the entire franchise as a whole, not what entry you should start with. KH isn't confusing if you start with KH1 and ease your way into it normally. But that's not what the video is discussing. It's discussing full knowledge of all of KH up until this point. If the same thing happened with Fate, with people trying to have full knowledge of Fate (not just FSN, all of Fate) up to this point, then we'd be getting the same "_____ is a stupid gibberish mess" videos that KH is getting right now. Sure, it all boils down to Grail Wars and the Throne of Heroes, but KH can be said to just boil down to Keyblade Wars, Hearts, and Darkness. But that's before you start throwing in alternate universes, wars on the moon, time travel, and the Reverse Side of the World. That's all I'm trying to point out. So yeah, as a whole, the franchise of Fate is just as confusing as KH is, if not more due to having more entries.
Doesn't this literally apply to ALL super franchises?

Like Star Wars and Marvel and DC and hell even Halo

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Have the people in this thread that are complainig about this video even watched it? Jim played and liked/loved KH 1 and 2 and he is frustrated with the direction the series headed after that. What's so wrong about his opinion? I never played KH, but as an onlooker this seems like a sound response in regards of the million spin-offs between the numbered entries.
I doubt that many of those bashing him have even watched the video.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Well, people wanted him to stop talking about steam curation and lootboxes for a while now.

Also: Jim is right though.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
User Warned: Threadwhining, Posting in Bad Faith
Take 1000 of the KH story is a mess. He wants clicks and nothing else. Not even going to waste my time watching his video.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

Except remove the portion where I "usually agree with Jim," I've never found his options particularly insightful or well-researched.

Errr...no matter if you don't find him insightful but suggesting he doesn't research with due diligence is patently false.

Another shitty Jim sterling video, wow it's almost like he had given up doing anything good and just wants to post shitty hot takes with no substance.

Shitty hot takes with no substance indeed, lol.

So here's what I'm legit wondering.

It feels like any extended story with multiple entries can be as twisty & convoluted as it wants. But an important aspect would be the question could a person pick up a single entry and follow the plot of that story alone from start to finish? Understanding that they might miss out on the finer nuances, is a single story still comprehensible of and by itself?

Does Kingdom Hearts ascribe to this theory? I honestly don't know myself.

It makes me think of the Stephen King series The Dark Tower. It's 7 books with over 4K pages in total.

Thing is, you can pick up any of them in any random order and still get a compartmentalized, understandable story with a beginning, middle and end. There are references to past books and the overarching story obviously. Most of the time they're contextualized, sometimes they're not (thus missing nuances), but either way reading any random single book provides a cohesive story with closure at the end.

Does Kingdom Hearts' various games ascribe to this model? Genuinely curious.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
This is the third video I watch about Kingdom Hearts' story. I never played KH before and wanted a motivation to start the series from the very beginning, but the story seems to be such mess that I don't even feel like giving the first game a chance.

What a mess!!

I hope at least the gameplay is fun.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Because we're talking about the entire franchise as a whole, not what entry you should start with. KH isn't confusing if you start with KH1 and ease your way into it normally. But that's not what the video is discussing. It's discussing full knowledge of all of KH up until this point. If the same thing happened with Fate, with people trying to have full knowledge of Fate (not just FSN, all of Fate) up to this point, then we'd be getting the same "_____ is a stupid gibberish mess" videos that KH is getting right now. Sure, it all boils down to Grail Wars and the Throne of Heroes, but KH can be said to just boil down to Keyblade Wars, Hearts, and Darkness. But that's before you start throwing in alternate universes, wars on the moon, time travel, and the Reverse Side of the World. That's all I'm trying to point out. So yeah, as a whole, the franchise of Fate is just as confusing, as a whole, as KH is.

I mean, i can say im a pretty big fan...and i can say i know pretty much a majority the ins and outs of Type Moon...but i didnt start that way obviously. Like everything, i found a specific avenue entreepoint and branched out from there, absorbing the connecting threads and characters.

No one is going to start a franchise reading or watching every single piece of content at the same time. So why make such a weird conclusion?

Differentiating from Fate, KH in itself has a clear chronological path that you need to follow in the way the games have released. That's what the 1.5+2.5+2.8 collections are. If you go through all of those in the way they were intended and still are confused, that's a completely different story.

But that's also what makes the video, and most arguments about the KH franchise fall flat for me. KH isnt confusing if you play it how its meant to be played. Sure you can agree or disagree on specific plot developments being stupid or not(i think everyone has their issues with DDD rightly so), but they are clearly easy to understand as long as you understand the base world rules and how the Kingdom hearts universe is set up...until time travel, but that's again, DDD.

Last edited:

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The narrative jumped off the rails with KH2 and has been barreling off into the fields ever since. I like the series and have my pre-order on the way, but KH1, CoM and BBS are really the only games I understand.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I think the point many people here are missing is, that when you go from one titled game to the other titled game, you shouldn't have to rely on around 9 games in between to understand the plot.

I think this is a really unfortunate mismatch in expectations that's gotten even worse over the years.

People expect Kingdom Hearts 3 to follow up from 2 and have the "spinoffs" be unimportant, or just filling in lore.

I obviously haven't played it yet, and am avoiding spoilers, but... based on those games after 2, 3 is actually their culmination. It's set up to make good on those storylines and those characters, to save them and theoretically give them the lives they deserve, or at least a chance at that.

I'm not sure that people who only played the first few and then caught up via summaries are prepared for the game expecting them to care so much about characters they're unfamiliar with.

You didn't go further? Man the payoff is so huge. Of course that's what the anime adaptions are for, but they are fundamentally different experiences without the nuance and the getting into people's heads to know their exact feelings and viewpoints.

I don't know why I fell off, really. It took me a long time to get better at actually finishing most games I start, that's only really been something I've developed in the past couple years.

If I remember correctly... I think it was actually before I started the UBW route, but someone's theory for Madoka, of all things, spoiled me for Archer's identity. And that kinda hurt my curiosity and drive to continue.

It's still sitting in my cabinet of games; I brought it with me to this apartment. So... maybe someday I'll restart it? But there's so many other things I'd rather get to first, hah.

Jaoox

Oct 27, 2017
i haven't followed KH3 at all, but realistically, which plots to the spin-offs do you need to have familiarity with for the KH3 plot to make sense?

Every game in the series is canon and adds elements to the overarching story. Even the japan exclusive browser game.
For example, some stuff that happens in Kingdom hearts 2 are explained in 358/2 days (Yes it's a real title), a game that came out 4 years later.

It absolutely IS insane.

But if I was someone who wanted to start the series for real, I would go 1 -> 2 -> Birth by sleep -> fragmentary passage and then maybe watch a recap video.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Errr...no matter if you don't find him insightful but suggesting he doesn't research with due diligence is patently false.

Shitty hot takes with no substance indeed, lol.

So here's what I'm legit wondering.

It feels like any extended story with multiple entries can be as twisty & convoluted as it wants. But an important aspect would be the question could a person pick up a single entry and follow the plot of that story alone from start to finish? Understanding that they might miss out on the finer nuances, is a single story still comprehensible of and by itself?

Does Kingdom Hearts ascribe to this theory? I honestly don't know myself.

It makes me think of the Stephen King series The Dark Tower. It's 7 books with over 4K pages in total.

Thing is, you can pick up any of them in any random order and still get a compartmentalized, understandable story with a beginning, middle and end. There are references to past books and the overarching story obviously. Most of the time they're contextualized, sometimes they're not (thus missing nuances), but either way ready a single book provides a cohesive story with closure at the end.

I'd say you could do that for KH1, KH2 and BBS. No idea with KH3

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Nope. Plenty of people played KH2 (technically the third game in the series) and were left confused during the opening hours due to it directly following off the events of the GBA game Chain of Memories. If you plan to ignore the story that's all well and good but each KH entry takes heavily from the previous games. It's kind of hard to describe any of them as their own standalone stories tbh. Maybe BBS and the first obviously.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
As someone that has ONLY played KH1, KH2 and now KH3 I can reliably inform anyone that's wondering, that it's a perfectly fun, entertaining, and connected experience. I have no interest in the other titles, at all, and always took them to be, on face value, some extra optional storylines and plot developments. Maybe I am missing some important elements by ignoring them all entirely... but I still had a blast, so not a biggie for me!

I played 1 and 2 back in the day and have zero interest in any of the other titles. I initially liked the series because the production values for back in the day were off the charts and it was a clever mash-up of Disney and Final Fantasy characters.

Since then, they've been doubling down on their stupid nonsense story instead of "look at the Disney thing" and it's put me off. If KH3 is more like the latter, I might give it a shot when it goes on sale. But I have never given a shit about any of the storylines in that series. I just wanted to go to Tron world and hang out with Tron.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Also are homophones really not protected by trademark? Seems odd that he could sell pawgs with no legal issue.

TrickyAssist

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
User Warned: Drive-by Hostility
This bumbling idiot is still making videos? I'm not even a fan of Kingdom Hearts but all his videos I've seen are generally trash. Like the Nintendo one where he was heavily pushing his "Please pirate Nintendo games because Nintendo's YouTube policies suck." agenda. He would then follow it up with a flimsy "but don't actually LOL" as if he actually didn't mean it despite asking people to do so several times.

He's just the "haha internet funny edgy man xD", his whole persona is kind of obnoxious.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
i can watch all of the star wars movies in less time than a playthrough of KH1. I can watch all of the marvel movies in less time than a playthrough of KH2.
He was talking about THE WHOLE FRANCHISE, which would include everything, not just the big pop culture things. And i never said either of those were faster or slower than the others.

Like what the fuck is this response to my post? It has nothing to do with what i was talking about.