• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is a psychological phenomenon that is in recent time mostly associated to social media addiction, but it had been affecting us way before social media is a thing and it is a form of trigger for gambling addiction.

FOMO is why gambling is so addictive, and in video gaming, your daily login "rewards" works. Those mechanics are in place to make sure you addicted to stuff via FOMO.
By far the worst perpetrator of FOMO is ResetEra.

We do the work for the publishers and we do it for free.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
User Warned: Accusations of company shilling
Cool thing about Anthem: There is no POEA. On PC, there's SEA, Subscription early access, but since that either A) gives you a discount on the base game that makes it cheaper than just straight-up buying the game and gives you the opprotunity to play the 10 hour trial before deciding, or B) just gives you the full game for a month for the low cost of a $15 sub. ... If you end up buying during this $15 sub, you end up spending an extra $9 on the game. $9 a month to try the game and decide if you want to purchase it or not is a pretty decent deal. And if you don't want either of those things, if you just want to pay full price at day 0, well, that option is available to you too.

Origina Access and Origin Access Premier are, in my opinion, actually smokin deals for PC gamers who are interested in trying out the latest EA game, especially if they aren't completely sold on said game.
So much better. I mean, fuck. Look at this.

ur3j3kt.png

I bought Origin Access the other week to get into the VIP demo and to have access to the 10 hour early access. I have money left over from my Access purchase that will be put towards a Premier subscription, if indeed I decide I want to upgrade to play the full game... but only for a month .something I'm seriously considering. I don't know if I need the game to keep forever ever.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no downside to the existence of either of these services, so long as you're willing to spend five minutes to figure out what they offer.

Ubisoft's version hell is another story.
Out of curiousity, if you don't want early access, why not just not use it and not be bothered by it? I don't like the preorder early access shit because I don't like the compulsion to buy a special edition to play with my friends, but I don't understand finding it distasteful because you just don't want to have it.

Didn't know we allowed companies to come in and advertise their services like this...

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's worth noting that just because it's possible to create a convoluted looking spreadsheet out of different release SKUs, that doesn't really mean the release is really that confusing or convoluted.

endgame.jpg

"Help guys, I just can't figure out which version of Avengers I should see! It's so confusing!"

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's funny but I think most people point to Halo 3's Legendary Edition kicking off the trend in 2007.
For me it was in full tilt by 2002. Blizzard's CE's started with WC3 I think, and they've been putting out nice boxes of overpriced garbage ever since. Nothing you could wear, though.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I don't want to have to read a chart about what hoops I need to jump through and how much extra I need to pay to play a game. There are other games to play and other things going on.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's worth noting that just because it's possible to create a convoluted looking spreadsheet out of different release SKUs, that doesn't really mean the release is really that confusing or convoluted.

endgame.jpg

"Help guys, I just can't figure out which version of Avengers I should see! It's so confusing!"

This is perfect. This expresses the point I was going to make far better than I could do myself.

NXGamer

Oct 27, 2017
If I remember correctly, Battlefield 1 was their first and only title that did "buy this edition to get early access" And or "origin premier subscribers get to play this amount of days early"

All the rest has been 10 hour trials, so unless I'm missing something here, it has never been this complicated.
Nope BFV did exactly the same thing, I even make a similar joke about it in my analysis at the time.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017

endgame.jpg

Lol. How will we live?!?!

Oct 29, 2017
Ah yes, all these extremely consumer friendly tactics but we as consumers aren't allowed to give negative reviews because of this!... apparently.

Great video.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope BFV did exactly the same thing, I even make a similar joke about it in my analysis at the time.

I actually misspoke when saying "only." I meant that Battlefield 1 was their first title to do so, and I don't remember any other titles having staggered releases. 10 hour trials don't count.

FIFA 19

Assuming you meant BFV not BF1. FIFA 19 and Madden had the same release schedule on Origin Access Premier, I'm pretty sure.

Origin Access Basic (and EA Access) had the 10 hr trials.

This was all outlined when Premier was announced at E3

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/ea-origin-access-premiere-release-date-1202887506/

See above for my correction, and thank you for the correction of me regarding other titles having a staggered release.

Deleted member 36086

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
lol this is some ridiculous complaining. FOMO on a game with no PVP or actual competitive leaderboards? Do you guys get FOMO when you have to go to work?

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Fear of missing out is the main reason why i completely halted any DLC purchases for Paradox games. I always felt that i do not have the complete version if i do not have the DLC even if that was cosmetics only and was not needed for gameplay.
The solution that works for me is not to buy and that is also my general approach to preorders. The game will not leave and if it does then it did not worth the hassle.
Thank god for Jim.

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
Maybe it's because I am old, but I never had a single game collectors edition since I started gaming. Secondly I was never a day one or preorder type of gamer (I'm very patient, I said this numerous time here that I buy new generation console only when the library is interesting, I don't buy hope). Since the introduction of hard drive and internet connectivity I knew this is the premise of the end of my generation of gamer.

Deleted member 34239

Banned
Nov 24, 2017

endgame.jpg

I feel like this is false equivalency......

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
If FOMO kicks in I invariably stop purchasing.
I don't know where that comes from but I feel like I can't appreciate the whole package so I just do something else entirely.
I haven't even looked at a Ubisoft release since the Switch came out (actually probably since Rayman legends, AC Unity or Children of Light or whatever that RPG was called).
It's kinda like MTx, you're losing me very fast if you focus on that.
I think Animal Crossing cured me of FOMO, I don't feel like dedicating more brainspace to something that is just meant to get more cash out of me while I won't even bother touching the "supplemental" content.

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heh, they're gonna give people a week head start on a online multiplayer progression based game based on how much you pay?
That's crazy. I didn't know it had gone so far.

How did we end up here?

By making excuses for corporations instead of sticking up for basic customer rights. And by continuing to give these companies money after they repeatedly treat their customers like crap.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Doing stuff like this just makes me want to wait a year to get the game on the cheaps with extra content. The whole deal with paying more for early access and breaking content accross so many versions of a game just feels both scummy and hilarious. I have to agree with him on this one.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Kinda weird he didn't even mention Deep Silver's Metro bullshit, FOMO caused a very large spike in Steam preorders and Epic is utilizing FOMO to get people to install & buy games on their store by buying these timed exclusive deals. I guess maybe he scripted the video earlier than all of it happened, or maybe it would have been too distracting from his other points.

Yeah, this is quite the stretch.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
So you're saying you're not?

A pretty common tactic by defenders of anti-consumer practices.

I'm not anti-consumer, but like . . . welcome to capitalism? This is why people are metaphorically giggling at others in this thread that seem so incredulous that companies do this. Capitalism kind of sucks, and it's funny to see gamers finally understand this. This is why people (like me) often find gamers who discuss these things to be really whiny.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
^ Yeah it's difficult for me to become too animated by this for exactly that reason - of course companies are deliberately trying to come up with new ways to give their consumers sensory overload and take advantage of their insecurities to sell them more and more expensive crap. That's like our entire economy at this point, that's what almost all advertising is, selling you things for needs they've manufactured, telling you you'll be prettier if you buy this, happier if you buy that, ooh you don't want to be left behind if you don't buy that, etc.

I know Jim knows this, of course, because he's become pretty smart at subtly and not-as-subtly turning his fanbase against completely mainstream marketing tactics as if they're new (because Gamers often act like some things that happen to the gaming industry are completely new or uniquely gross in some way or something since a lot of them know nothing about industries outside of it) but well, yeah, this is just what they do. I don't know what to do about it except not enable it myself, but unfortunately, as intended, it makes me become a crochety old man sitting alone in a corner with nothing to talk about, only making opposition to these tactics sound like kill-joys.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not anti-consumer, but like . . . welcome to capitalism? This is why people are metaphorically giggling at others in this thread that seem so incredulous that companies do this. Capitalism kind of sucks, and it's funny to see gamers finally understand this. This is why people (like me) often find gamers who discuss these things to be really whiny.

This is that "I am very smart" comic in post form.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When I see charts all I'm looking for is the wait 1-2 month option for a cheaper price. I never see the option but that is what will happen.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Gamers: Dreams will let you do ANYTHING! My mind is blown by the possibilities! I'm going to make a FPS puzzle game that can also be a calculator!
Gamers: Kingdom Hearts storyline is actually pretty clear, here's a 35 minute video that covers the first part of it...

Also gamers, shown a clearly laid-out chart: I don't get it. My brain hurts.

The reaction to the release chart is embarrassing. It's fine to not LIKE the practice, but acting like it's an incomprehensible piece of ancient Mayan literature is just ridiculous.

Especially when it's really just fueled by this:
Creating games is fun. Going deep into your favorite franchise's lore is fun. Having to use a chart to understand when a game is coming out is not.

endgame.jpg

Lol this is a huge false equivalency. Almost as if movies and games are different mediums that work differently.

Jim shows a great example of how bullshit this is, with Steep. Read this shit:
The gold edition of Steep (game plus year 1 pass plus xgames pass) is currently on sale on Steam, however this is not to be confused with the gold edition that was originally available (steep plus season pass) or the olympic gold edition (steep plus olympic dlc) and just to obfuscate things further the season pass has been renamed to the year 1 pass but only in the gold bundle, and just to obfuscate things more one of the season pass dlc is only available in the season pass (the adrenaline pack) there is also both a XGames Pass and XGames DLC and the current gold version is missing the olympic DLC
if you buy the current gold bundle you still need to buy the olympics to have a complete game
If you bought the original gold bundle you still need to buy the Xgames pass and olympics dlc to have a complete game
If you bought the Olympics gold bundle you still need to buy the season pass and the xgames pass to have a complete game
and there is no current way of buying everything all in one bundle despite the name gold usually meaning it has everything
ARE WE CLEAR ON ALL OF THAT ?
AAA gaming at its finest
Imagine if Avengers Endgame had different scenes depending on release and you could only see them all if you went to the movies AND bought the BluRay.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If I remember correctly, Battlefield 1 was their first and only title that did "buy this edition to get early access" And or "origin premier subscribers get to play this amount of days early"

All the rest has been 10 hour trials, so unless I'm missing something here, it has never been this complicated.
I bought the PHYSICAL version of Star Wars Battlefront II Elite Trooper Deluxe Edition and it was delivered three days ahead of the normal edition because that was part of the deal of it -- play the full game three days early.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
"I'm smart because I know capitalism is unfair and think that is perfectly normal"

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Surely you can tell the difference between a poorly made chart made for no goddamn reason and the official chart provided by a marketing team to sell their stuffs?
The key point being "poorly made". What EA"s marketing put out was convoluted; it was a poorly made chart. There were other ways that they could have conveyed what each edition gets, and when, with better clarity.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The key point being "poorly made". What EA"s marketing put out was convoluted; it was a poorly made chart. There were other ways that they could have conveyed what each edition gets, and when, with better clarity.
That's actually Jim's point.
It's not a bug that the chart is poorly made, it's a feature.
The point IS to confuse the customer so that they can more susceptible to buying something they may not need.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is false equivalency......
Lol this is a huge false equivalency. Almost as if movies and games are different mediums that work differently.

Imagine if Avengers Endgame had different scenes depending on release and you could only see them all if you went to the movies AND bought the BluRay.
Except that I never said they were equivalent? Just that it's easy to make something look way more complicated than it actually is if you're intent on parsing out dozens of particular features amongst individual SKUs into a spreadsheet. Anthem really isn't that difficult to suss out.

The irony with Avengers Endgame is that there also could have been columns for the Theatrical 3D version, Theatrical IMAX version, the 3D BluRay version, the Collector's Edition Steelbook BluRay, etc. Most people don't care about the extra stuff that gets piled on to Collector's Edition releases, and just go with the cheapest or most convenient purchase.

We are already to the point where IGN does articles telling people Which Version of Infinity War You Should Buy, but rarely is this couched as some nefarious scheme to make confused people give up and buy the most expensive version. Given a multitude of choices, there's really no guarantee that people will pick the most expensive version anyway -- they're probably just as if not more likely to purchase whatever is least expensive and most widely available.

Last edited:

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Except that I never said they were equivalent? Just that it's easy to make something look way more complicated than it actually is if you're intent on parsing out dozens of particular features amongst individual SKUs into a spreadsheet. Anthem really isn't that difficult to suss out.

The irony with Avengers Endgame is that there also could have been columns for the Theatrical 3D version, Theatrical IMAX version, the 3D BluRay version, the Collector's Edition Steelbook BluRay, etc. Most people don't care about the extra stuff that gets piled on to Collector's Edition releases, and just go with the cheapest or most convenient purchase.
You are far less likely to have multiple options at the same seller.
After all you're never going to have to choose to buy the 3D Bluray version or the Netflix version at the same spot and the marketing will make it as painless as possible with clear labels.
With whatever the fuck EA and Ubi are pulling?
You'll get the regular version everywhere and god help you if you ever go to Gamestop and ask to preorder anything at all.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So you're saying you're not?
Yeah! Honestly, I can't really blame you for being skeptical, assuming that skepticism is genuine and not just snide bullshit. It's impossible to argue the value of this sort of shit without coming off like a shill. But at the same time, either disagree with the content of my posts and have a conversation, or actually report them as susicious. Beyond that I won't waste my time with it.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Whoever at EA that keeps coming up with different ways to monetize their games deserves a raise.
If not for the battlefront monetization going a bit too far I honestly believe EA could still have been smooth coasting.

This looks a bit like the micro transactions bubble to me, where some people were against while some simply says it affects them in no way or others vote with their wallets.
But as there is or was no regulation on MX we see how far EA and some other publishers were willing to push it.

Now look at this, let's say other publishers jump onto this service bandwagon. Acti,Ms e.t.c
COD time gated, Halo time gated, TitanFall time gated, battlefield, far cry e.t.c.

Who's to say this 1 week time gate won't be extended to 2 weeks? Or 3 weeks?
Any regulation?
At that point is where FOMO (to people who would have such anyways) starts kicking in. Cause all it cost is a paltry sum to enable you get early access, so why not?.
Sure some would still be stand off and let those that want early access pay but time gating is a very good incentive for alot of gamers especially when it comes to something you enjoy obviously.

I see a very solid business decision here by EA.

My 2 cents.

Winter-John

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Very good video from Jim as usual. One of the things I noticed about the EA Anthem chart was they'd missed a tier for customers like myself which is to wait a month and buy the game for $30.