• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Didn't feel anything.

Maybe I just have a high tolerance for what people like to call cringe and awkward.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Hated it. Just the worst exposition dump. They should have shown some footage or something. The whole thing seemed like Snake should react at any moment, but of course didn't because they probably had Kiefer for like an afternoon in the studio.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I will never consider MGS5 to be part of the original 4 games. It's trash game that basically went after what was popular at the time. I am not even saying the original 4 didn't have problems. They had plenty. But MGS5 had more, and became a generic game with a silent protagonist. A half baked story with awful presentation.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's a garbage scene but this game has better gameplay than your favourite game

CONSIDERABLY so
Haha, I'll take the bait.

Na. MGSV might have amazing TPS mechanics, but the overall gameplay is severely hampered by repetitive mission design and environments.

Hell, even the first MGS game has better overall gameplay than MGSV.

Oct 28, 2017
A scene that reeks of the first draft.

Giant Metal Gear fan, it shouldn't have been in the game - it felt hallow in many ways. Perhaps if it echoed the opening drive in the game - the sense of horror and escape. Or even something akin to the jeep escape in MGS1/3.

But instead it rang hallow. The ladder scene in MGS3 works way more because there's 0 consequence and the song was a different take from what we've heard before.

MGSV requires significant buy in to believe two characters we're told have built tension with each other ... would just sit in a jeep and travel together. If you don't get that buy in the whole scene doesn't work.

Edit:

More thoughts. Conflict between characters can create great story moments and motivation. It doesn't have to be physical conflict - Metal Gear is capable and demonstrated far more nauces between characters and heightened tension (Naomi conflicted to tell Snake about Gray Fox - Gray Fox conflicted to tell Naomi about who killed her parents - Snake conflicted to tell Naomi the truth, Gray Fox's dying wish).

In this scene you zap all the narrative tension. There's so much showing - a villain literally giving a monologue and then silence. And this CAN work if the silence heightens tension or is used effectively by a director. Take this scene for example.

Characters that are conflicting, the words can almost be anything. You can put the entire scene on mute and watch it play out as a silent movie but still understand/hold your interest.

The scene just falls flat for various reasons that are very uncommon to the Metal Gear saga.

Last edited:

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I really want Hideo Kojima to direct a movie. Dude needs a massive ego check.
Yep.
I think it's a great summation of Kojima's later work. Trying to use the illusion of style as an excuse for poorly planned out writing.
I am in full cringe with his game now. I used to love his work.
Na. MGSV might have amazing TPS mechanics, but the overall gameplay is severely hampered by repetitive mission design and environments.
Exactly. If we are talking about control only, it's the best in class (with TLoU 2 now). But gameplay overall (so including level design), it's so boring.
Hitman is the best exemple of having good control then toying with the levels and environments. That was the promised of GZ.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
My favourite part is when Skull Face wriggles his fingers menacingly right in front of Venom, who doesn't react.

Have we talked about the pre-mission credits spoiling you on the characters that appear yet? Honestly even if Kojima had infinite time and budget to "finish" the game, I just think he was working on a dud from the start.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
In this scene you zap all the narrative tension. There's so much showing - a villain literally giving a monologue and then silence. And this CAN work if the silence heightens tension or is used effectively by a director. Take this scene for example.

I am sure there is some significance to Fragile being in the clip you posted.
I learned that it's never a coincidence when Kojima is involved or mentioned

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find it interesting that MGSV completely falls apart once you get on to a jeep, and Final Fantasy XV has an all-too-similar descent once you board a train.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the game but the whole story was just total nonsense. Didn't even remember who Skullface was at first.

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
Unintentional one of the most funniest shit i have ever witness

It so painfully obvious that the music was ment to be use on a much grandious scene

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
They should have never had gotten Keifer if they couldn't pay him to do the entire game. It was very obvious they ran out of money for his rate or something.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
It probably sounded cool on paper

I wish the game scrapped everything that wasn't about the language parasite. That's a cool idea, and some of the themes around language and imperialism are genuinely fantastic, but then Skullface starts talking about... selling mini-nukes?? Or something? And they're all controlled by him? And the giant robot with skull facepaint and a magic whip plays into his plan... somehow???

The game has a million different story ideas but barely any ideas how to convey those ideas during its core gameplay. There's so much stuff going on with Skullface's plans and Zero, but you see barely any of it because Snake is busy crawling around in sand somewhere in Afghanistan. I can kind of forgive it though, since it was Kojipro's first attempt at open world gameplay, and to this day the degree of freedom in MGSV is unparalleled. Games like RDR2 tell cinematic stories in an open world, but they do it by constantly placing arbitrary restrictions on the player.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The interesting part about the Jeep ride is how easy it is to miss the XOF soldiers betraying the Soviets in the background of the ride and tossing them into mass graves. It could have been an incredibly grim scene if handled well but it's just another messy scene in an already messy game.

I really wish the game capitalized on its themes better because I think Kojima actually had some amazing commentary on linguistic imperialism and cultural assimilation.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
The interesting part about the Jeep ride is how easy it is to miss the XOF soldiers betraying the Soviets in the background of the ride and tossing them into mass graves. It could have been an incredibly grim scene if handled well but it's just another messy scene in an already messy game.

I really wish the game capitalized on its themes better because I think Kojima actually had some amazing commentary on linguistic imperialism and cultural assimilation.

Yeah, he needs an editor. Kojima is good with themes, and coming up with interesting concepts, but then he takes a big messy dump on it when he starts actually writing the dialog or including certain things. It's like he's two personalities fighting with each other over who gets to make his video games. One side is this guy who has some really decent points to make has the ability to come up with amazing characters and really cool concepts, and the other half is a 12-year-old shonen fan who wants jiggle physics on all the boobies.

I think of stuff like the Beauty and The Beast unit in MGS4. It could have been a really neat introspective. We have these women that were traumatized by war in different ways as children and then became "beasts" themselves. It could have been a really cool point about the atrocities of war, but instead he decided to slap a bunch of sex dolls in robot suits, make them all try to rub up on you before they die, and then have a dude with a monkey in silver diaper phone in after death to half-assedly deliver their backstory in lazy attempt to make you empathize with them after the fact.

Or like you said, we've got all these really interesting points about racial and cultural imperialism and a really neat concept for Skullface's backstory. But you know what, fuck it. Vagina bomb. Naked lady in panty hose who "needs" to breathe through her skin to justify her fan service. Protagonist who refuses to talk to the point of awkward. And throw in a nuke robot with a giant gun dick and terraforming whip for good measure. Oh and this one needs a bigger more protruding gun dick than the other robot we gave a gun dick to in the first game because our designer has an odd thing with phallic robots for whatever reason.

Or hell, we could have had some awesome narrative about child soldiers, which the trailers implied would be a subject taken seriously, Instead we get lord of the flies meets the little rascals as this rag tag team of boys steals a nuclear bipedal robot and then fucks off into the sunset never to be addressed again.

I wish Kojima wrote as well as his trailers imply he does.

rafox

Apr 28, 2020
MGS V has the biggest disconnect I ever felt between the gameplay and story.
I absolutely love to play it but I simply can't understand the story and what it is trying to tell, it's such a mess, I don't know how much of the game is incomplete but it's noticeable, the game just kinda ends... the gameplay is awesome but it gets really repetitive since the design of the quests don't change a lot throughout the game.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was just thinking this morning about whether having Hayter in the game would have changed anything.

Do we think Boss' general silence in the game - overall, not just this scene - was a result of Kiefer being unaffordable, unavailable or similar? Or would Hayter have been just as mute throughout?

I'm sure there's been commentary on this from various parties, but anything definitive to say "This affected how the game played out"?

Kojima has claimed that Venom's relative silence is a deliberate stylistic choice inspired by how taciturn Max is in the Mad Max films. Whether that's the whole truth is up to you to judge.

I mean I would buy this as that reasoning as Kiefer does have a fair amount of dialog.... but only in the codex tapes. Like I am pretty sure that about 90% of his spoken dialog comes from the tapes which just makes his silence in cutscenes weird.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing narrative wise in this game (phantom pain) deserves praise, including the jeep ride.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Kojima is bonkers. This is just case 5 billion of that. But good god do I love how that game plays.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The scene and the entire game:
tenor.png

Guy needs to be kept in check.

Seriously tired of this lie being spread. Dude literally put credits at the start of each mission giving credit to members of his team for each mission and some how pwoplw like you meme all of their names into Hideo Kojima. Litterally searched a random mission number and what a shock names of actual people that worked on the mission that Kojima made sure got credited. Kojima will literally credit the music in his trailers, he credits the voice actors and even the god damn mocap actors more they any other publisher does and this is the dumb shit you come here and post?

youtu.be

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - All Mission Tasks (Mission 27 - Root Cause)

This part of my Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Executed Trophy/Achievement GuideIn this mission there are 3 Mission tasks.- Extracted the intel Team me...

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
This game was my first (and only MGS). I didn't really care for it at all, never finished it and I felt the highly praised gameplay didn't really do anything crazy that I haven't seen before and couldn't sustain my interest on its own. The story certainly wasn't carrying any water in that regard lol.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
This game was my first (and only MGS). I didn't really care for it at all, never finished it and I felt the highly praised gameplay didn't really do anything crazy that I haven't seen before and couldn't sustain my interest on its own. The story certainly wasn't carrying any water in that regard lol.

The story is the worst in the Metal Gear Solid franchise and feels nothing like a Metal Gear Solid game.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It was a jeepwreck. MGSV is the Mass Effect 3 of the franchise -- the one that broke me and ruined my interest in playing the rest of the series. Felt like I completed it as a 'duty' rather than a 'desire'.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Given how amazing MGS1-3 are in comparison, this shit was so bad.

The gameplay was amazing. But as a fan? One of the worst games I've ever finished. I hated it so much. It had so much potential though...

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
I am sure there is some significance to Fragile being in the clip you posted.
I learned that it's never a coincidence when Kojima is involved or mentioned
...not the same actress. The whole "KOJIMAAAA" thing doesn't even apply 99% of the times this board brings him up in secret connection with sth lmao

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Hell, even the first MGS game has better overall gameplay than MGSV.

I can't imagine how. Its shooting mechanics are terrible and it relies way too much on the radar. It has far far fewer stealth options. Its AI is braindead compared to how good MGSV's is. Last time I played it I was also surprised how many gimmick sections there were, stuff like the awful rappelling section. Also too much backtracking for such a short game; heating and cooling the card is super annoying.

I was blown away by MGS1 when I was a kid but recent replays were not kind to its memory.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine how. Its shooting mechanics are terrible and it relies way too much on the radar. It has far far fewer stealth options. Its AI is braindead compared to how good MGSV's is. Last time I played it I was also surprised how many gimmick sections there were, stuff like the awful rappelling section. Also too much backtracking for such a short game; heating and cooling the card is super annoying.

I was blown away by MGS1 when I was a kid but recent replays were not kind to its memory.
Much more interesting environment, much more interesting encounters, much better pacing in terms of feeding the player new mechanics and varieties of gameplay, much better boss encounters...

It is just superior in many ways, imo, even if MGSV is mechanically superior on a minute to minute basis.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
It's terrible. The game is an unfinished mess, there's no "auteur intent" in the scene at all, its just very clear that they could not arrange to have his voice lines recorded for that scene, and that the timing of the speech was poorly planned. Probably because the map and the script were done at two very different points in the game's development. Imagine that in any other game and you'll see it for what it really is... MGSV is probably the biggest disappointment for me in video games, along with Deus Ex Invisible War.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The gameplay saved this game. Which is more than I can say for Death Stranding. Which in contrast didn't have anything to offer.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
It's a garbage scene but this game has better gameplay than your favourite game

CONSIDERABLY so
No it doesn't. Player movement feels great, but the rest isn't special at all.
Besides, even if it had great gameplay, the game doesn't do anything interesting with it and level design is mediocre at best.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
...not the same actress. The whole "KOJIMAAAA" thing doesn't even apply 99% of the times this board brings him up in secret connection with sth lmao

wot. Of course it's LĂ©a Seydoux playing one of the three daughters in that clip.

And of course I was kidding when I said there's some significance, I was just making fun of the esoteric connections people see everywhere whenever Kojima is mentioned

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
and to this day the degree of freedom in MGSV is unparalleled. Games like RDR2 tell cinematic stories in an open world, but they do it by constantly placing arbitrary restrictions on the player.
There are some restrictions in mgs v as well (like limiting mission area). And while it provides some freedom to the player, the game often doesn't know how to react to player exercising their freedom. Usually it's AI that doesn't know how to react to player's actions, but sometimes there are mission scripts that don't properly account for options that player has.
The game just barely works. It should have never been an open world game.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
The scene made me realize 2 things:

1. Kojima can't be given an infinite amount of money for his projects. He works better creatively restrained.
2. He's a great cinematographer, and a great director, but he's an amazingly bad writer of stories. And unfortunately, his bad skill is higher on the list of priorities in this one scene.

breakYODAy

Oct 25, 2017
This game is simply a failure when it comes to the story. Great gameplay, but that's it. The series' narrative ended with MGS4 as far as I'm concerned.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
There are some restrictions in mgs v as well (like limiting mission area). And while it provides some freedom to the player, the game often doesn't know how to react to player exercising their freedom. Usually it's AI that doesn't know how to react to player's actions, but sometimes there are mission scripts that don't properly account for options that player has.

I mean sure there aren't any scripted lines in the game for when you drop a tank on top of a helicopter or kidnap the target in the back of a truck, doesn't mean you can't do that shit

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
It is pretty hilarious considering he is giving that speech to the wrong person.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
I mean sure there aren't any scripted lines in the game for when you drop a tank on top of a helicopter or kidnap the target in the back of a truck, doesn't mean you can't do that shit

There is also no programming for skulls to open doors or dumpsters;
instances where the game doesn't acknowledge that it shouldn't play a dialogue scene if all, but one, of its participants are not present on the meeting;
instances where the game thinks that it's ok for a car to drive straight through an obstacle in the car's path if the mission's script requires the car to move;
or a mission where the game is fine with you evacuating only one of imprisoned children, even though story and cutscenes require you to evacuate all the children;
and I guess it's ok that if you recruit D-Dog after Huey is exiled, Huey is still present in D-Dog related tapes.

There are lots of small things like this, really. It's not just lack of scripted lines here and there.

Also, speaking of player freedom. Why even give an option to kill Quiet if it has pretty much no effect on the story and you're just able to replay the mission and recruit Quiet anyway?