• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is an FM Remix of the Space Harrier theme produced exlusively for this bios screen. The JPN Bios Space Harrier remix gets to use all the available sound channels on the SMS at once, because it doesn't have to handle the sound effects for the game. The stars dance to the tune.

The JPN Space Harrier 3D had a similar, but different, FM remix:

Sega was always great at bios screens, the Sega CD US Model 2 bios is probably my favorite of theirs:

But the JPN SMS Bios is probably the most SEGA start screen ever.

For comparison, the normal Space Harrier SMS music using the PSG only:

The Japanese SMS has the FM Unit built in, unlike the Mark III, hence the bios screen.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I'm partial to the hazy, dream-like Dreamcast bios. But the US Sega CD is my runner-up.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I seriously wish someone would modify one of the BIOSes without the region check to replace the start animation with the old M404 animation. Or hell, modify the M404 BIOS to work with every game. I have a dead Mark 3 that I want to cram a Master System into and having the old MK3 font for the MS logo on boot up would be a flawless finishing touch.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The little breakdown 2 minutes into the space harrier theme is so awesome, especially if it coincides with stage 5/10/etc with the drop ceiling if you don't die prior.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The SMS indeed was pure joy. Probably my single favorite video game console ever. Without a doubt, I've played more SMS games than any other game system. Those early US SMS games were so good. Fantasy Zone, Hang On, Choplifter, Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Global Defense, Gangster Town... soooo good.

Oct 27, 2017
Master System was my first console. Still have it. Wonderful console with some damn fine games (why aren't you re-releasing the 8-bit Sonic and Disney games, Sega? Get on it!).

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, what nods? I know there were some nods to the 16-bit games but I didn't notice anything from the 8-bit games when I saw the movie?

ESkMzWUXgAA5mst.jpg:large

SouthIslandMap.png

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
It certainly is the one with the best music, at least for me.

Tangentially related, I also appreciate the rendition of Space Harrier's theme in the Sega Arcade Gallery for GBA:

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That Japanese SMS bios music/screen is awesome. And even though I owned a model 1 NA Sega CD first, I definitely prefer the model 2's music.

There's some underrated music on SMS. The exclusive level in R-Type has a great composition. Signature Compile sound.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Well the FDS has a very fun bios as well... so fun that the famous 31-in-1 bootleg cart uses the bios code for its menu.
remember

?

Then...

+

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There was a piece of paper included with the system that mentioned how to access Snail Maze but it would have been easy to miss. Word of mouth seemed to be the main way people knew about it.

Last edited: