• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Posts Complaining about Spoilers: 15
Posts Complaining about People Complaining about Spoilers: 60

If ya'll just ignored those people (who are definitely in the wrong, and I am a ''''spoilerphobe'''') and moved on with your day then this thread could have been about the actually horrible and disgusting tragedy that it's based on. When it comes to derails it definitely takes two to tango, and in this case I think the balance is clear.

But anyway, I'm quite glad (for lack of a better term) to hear that they actually decided to put a scene like this in the film. I know it's an R-rated horror but I can definitely see some Hollywood producer saying the scene should be cut/not added in because it would 'offend' the homophobes who absolutely need to see it. Reading about the events behind it is just horrifying, and unfortunately it doesn't seem like such an event is as 'in the past' right now as it really, really should be.

Last edited:

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Spoilers: more dangerous than hate crimes.

Quoting this to show up on the following page.

To the topic, I'm glad that attention is being drawn to a hate crime in a broader way than it was with the book (assuming more people will see the movie than read the book). Good on King for sunlighting this.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I read this book over 25 years ago and had no idea this scene was based on a real life event. Horrific.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking people and their ridiculous bullshit about spoilers. There is a much bigger and more important conversation to be had then worrying about something as innocuous as spoilers.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
This is ironic coming from the author who just can't help himself from integrating actual spoilers within his own stories. It's my biggest pet peeve with Stephen King's writing, honestly. He just loves starting chapters with stuff like "And then he woke up for the last time in his life," which lessens the impact of coming events enormously. You can't look away from spoilers like that.

Today is the day that spoiler culture officially jumped the shark

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
As recently as 2011, a vandal scrawled the words "Die Fags" on the small Howard memorial near the bridge where he was killed.

What a cool town you have going for you Bangor.

Used to see tons of conservative shitheads down East in Rural Maine who would legit fly the confederate flag, despite Maine taking insanely heavy casualties to the Confederacy during the war.

Morons.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The scene is really disturbing in the movie, I had no idea it was based on a real life event.
I was disappointed that none of the perps reappear or get killed by Pennywise later on, ala Hofstadler/Bowers.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Knowing this actually happened is more horrific than the scene in the movie. I hope the movie made a memorial for the actual person in the credits or something.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Knowing this actually happened is more horrific than the scene in the movie. I hope the movie made a memorial for the actual person in the credits or something.

Dont think.there was one and I dont think its particularly well known. There are plenty of replies from people who read the book 30 years ago and didn't know.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The killers were aged 17, 16 and 15. If that isn't reason to teach equality and acceptance in schools I don't know what is.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
While Maine is far from perfect it has gotten a lot better.

When I was a youngun the locals used to call it "chuck-a-slur-bridge" like it was okay.

Then years later in that same area I helped collect signatures which got gay marriage on the ballot which passed so things are getting better down there.

Though got to agree with Gwenpoolshark too many backwoods inbreeds there thinking they are part of the confederacy.

As for the memorial defacement, that's probably about as brave as they will get these days, Bangor has a pretty vibrant community last I checked, I don't know I'm stuck in MA though I'll be moving back someday.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
When I was a youngun the locals used to call it "chuck-a-slur-bridge" like it was okay.

Then years later in that same area I helped collect signatures which got gay marriage on the ballot which passed so things are getting better down there.
Glad it's improved but jfc at that first part.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
While Maine is far from perfect it has gotten a lot better.

Though got to agree with Gwenpoolshark too many backwoods inbreeds there thinking they are part of the confederacy.

As for the memorial defacement, that's probably about as brave as they will get these days, Bangor has a pretty vibrant community last I checked, I don't know I'm stuck in MA though I'll be moving back someday.

Politically speaking, Maine truly is one of the weirdest and most unpredictable States in the whole country, kind of a bizarre microcosm of the nation as a whole. You've got a strong tradition of independently minded federal representatives who buck national trends in the name of moral conscience, but you've also got Paul Lepage and local state people who are total hellspawn lunatics, as fringy and dangerous as anyone in the country.

It seems to me that a strong left push in Maine is possible, it just needs the kind of grassroots outreach that conventional democratic political organizations detest and refuse to be any good at.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
This is ironic coming from the author who just can't help himself from integrating actual spoilers within his own stories. It's my biggest pet peeve with Stephen King's writing, honestly. He just loves starting chapters with stuff like "And then he woke up for the last time in his life," which lessens the impact of coming events enormously. You can't look away from spoilers like that.
I feel like I'm missing the joke

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Kind of figured it was based on something real, you don't write something as effective as that chapter with out some unfortunate inspiration.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Was a great scene in both the book and movie and very unsettling and powerful. Never knew it was based off an actual hate crime, but it happened before I was born. Really makes me appreciate it a little more now and that I can remember the poor man who actually died.

Sad that the movie didn't include the police interrogating the assholes in the movie and the one punk seeing Pennywise.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I didn't know this was a true story. That scene in the book was disturbing to me in particular, but it was also clearly condemning the act which is think is quite progressive for the time the book came out. Glad that it will have a portrayal in the film, hope they do it justice.

Bookoo

Nov 3, 2017
It's basically the first scene in the fucking movie ya'll need to chill.

I was wondering if they were going to do this scene. I was disappointed in Chapter 1 because of some of the changes they made and thought they may skip over it or modify it in someway to just be Pennywise.

Last edited:
Posting Guidelines

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication

This is a sensitive subject. If your only contribution to this thread is to complain about spoilers for a decades old story, then don't post. Thread whining and dismissal of this topic will be sternly moderated.

OP
OP
CDX

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Dont think.there was one and I dont think its particularly well known. There are plenty of replies from people who read the book 30 years ago and didn't know.

Yeah, I'm pretty certain the book doesn't mention Charlie anywhere. A few years ago, when I found out about Charlie's murder I went and found my old book and looked for some sort of acknowledgement thinking I might have overlooked it but couldn't find it.

Even though King has spoke about Charlie's murder, I just think the real life events aren't really well publicized in relation to IT.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
It makes it twice as horrific by not knowing it beforehand. Thank you King for telling his story, fuck these three guys

Oct 28, 2017
Something about the way this scene was executed that was really off-putting. And then it's immediately followed up with Bev being abused and punched in the face by her husband. Movie was just kind of miserable experience

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The scene works because of what it says about dairy, aka the evil of small town America. My largest problem with the movie is tonally it's the only scene like this in the entire movie. Part 1 you really felt Dairy as a character but in part 2 it just kind of felt cruel to gay characters for very little reason.

Like I have a million problems with part 2 most of them being editing and pacing but this scene could have worked in a better movie. As it stands it sticks out as cruel for cruel sake.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, the book has it own share of problematic elements, but I think it deals with this scene a lot more. The movie 100% butchered the why of that scene exists in the book and feels a lot like cruelity for cruelity sake, also it´s the only scene that feels grounded and heavy while most of the other horror and violence scenes in the movie are a lot more rollercoast thrills kind of horror, so it´s very jarring