• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
This American milestone (nay... millstone) brings such overwhelming sadness upon me. It's so hard to put it into words.

It also reminds me of another chilling movie starring a certain Sigourney Weaver that I really hope people have seen and/or continue to recommend to others.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I'm far toward the sensitive end on spoilers but how is the knowledge that there's a scene where someone bashes gay people in it spoiling anything about the movie IT Pt.2?

I despise title spoilers for actually spoiling Easter Eggs, twists, plot moments and the like but this - the title - is literally just telling people there's a scene where a gay person is harassed.

Also this.
That's all the thread title says.

The poor boy isn't even a character in the story outside of the scene where he gets killed

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
I don't really understand how the vague term "Gay Bashing Scene" can constitute as a spoiler in any shape or form.

I haven't seen the movie yet, and this means absolutely nothing to me in the context of the movie. Instead of talking about an important topic, people decide to be outraged instead.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm far toward the sensitive end on spoilers but how is the knowledge that there's a scene where someone bashes gay people in it spoiling anything about the movie IT Pt.2?

I despise title spoilers for actually spoiling Easter Eggs, twists, plot moments and the like but this - the title - is literally just telling people there's a scene where a gay person is harassed.

People didn't know and didn't want to know that such a scene exists in the movie -> They are being told that this scene exists without being able to avoid it since it's literally the title of the thread.

A spoiler can be any piece of information that someone didn't want to know about the movie/book/game beforehand.

The title maybe could have been "A scene of IT Chapter 2 was based on the true murder of Charlie Howard". Most people probably don't know who Charlie Howard was, so those who have seen the movie, read the book or were familiar with the murder could have entered the thread and anyone else who wanted to avoid the spoiler could have done so.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
A spoiler can be any piece of information that someone didn't want to know about the movie/book/game beforehand.

The title maybe could have been "A scene of IT Chapter 2 was based on the true murder of Charlie Howard". Most people probably don't know who Charlie Howard was, so those who have seen the movie, read the book or were familiar with the murder could have entered the thread and anyone else who wanted to avoid the spoiler could have done so.
That's still a Spoiler by your definition and the only distinction between the two is that that one makes you think that someone is murdered in the conventional sense and this one is saying that at some point people harass someone that's gay.

I'm really not sure how the suggestion is a better alternative for people with no additional context.

This is what we're talking about:
"Someone, at some point, is harassed for being gay"

That's not a spoiler for IT Part.2. It's the equivalent of saying in Kill Bill there's a scene where a daughter comes home from school and has breakfast made for her.

Last edited:

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a pretty huge spoilerphobe... and this thread title isn't a spoiler.

The fact that a gay bashing scene exists isn't a spoiler. Me knowing that isn't a spoiler.

Also: fuck those three guys.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
This is ironic coming from the author who just can't help himself from integrating actual spoilers within his own stories. It's my biggest pet peeve with Stephen King's writing, honestly. He just loves starting chapters with stuff like "And then he woke up for the last time in his life," which lessens the impact of coming events enormously. You can't look away from spoilers like that.
Dude

Seriously?

What you're describing is literally not a spoiler, it's a deliberate framing technique.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I still remember this chapter in the book crystal clear, was so well written. Had no idea it was based on a real event. Fucking horrible.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
This is ironic coming from the author who just can't help himself from integrating actual spoilers within his own stories. It's my biggest pet peeve with Stephen King's writing, honestly. He just loves starting chapters with stuff like "And then he woke up for the last time in his life," which lessens the impact of coming events enormously. You can't look away from spoilers like that.

This is satire, right? Getting spoiled by....reading the book?

Honestly, the biggest culprit here is George Lucas. Can't believe he spoiled what was going to happen to Anakin decades before Episode 1 came out.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP is trying to educate about a terrible event that was emblematic for the problems that certain vulnerable minorities had to experience and people are annoyed because it might lessen a "surprise" in a goddamn movie.

Maybe if you thought about it just a little bit you could perhaps realize that terrible tragedies where people were actually tortured and killed, are of slightly more importance than your enjoyment of moving pictures on a screen.
Have some fucking decency.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Yeah, you're technically right, but that's only if we focus on semantics. The end result is the same, and I strongly dislike it whether you want to call it a spoiler or a framing technique.
It's not semantics, because it's a technique that's deliberately used to frame based on how you see the events that transpire having known the outcome. It's leveraging the expectations drawn off of that knowledge to create tension in different ways. i.e. making a moment less about whether someone will die and more about how they will.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah I also didn't know this was based on a real event and most likely wouldn't have, so thanks OP
As fucked up as the situation is, it will make the movie scene stronger to me

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
On topic - the scene is devastating in the book, and I imagine it's as much or more so in the movie. Had no idea that part was based on a true story when I read it.

Frostinferno

Oct 25, 2017
Hadn't read the book so this scene had me messed up for a good 10-15 minutes. I thought it was an unnecessarily harsh thing to open with, but seeing that it was a real event really makes it sad.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It's done well in the movie, read: it hurts to watch and is very brutal. The film made sure to portray the couple extremely positively starting out. I was generally surprised as the film has a decent bit of gay representation to it which was appreciated.

I loved that they made Richie openly gay/possibly bi in the end and having loved Eddie

Last edited:

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
God that was a sickening read. Infuriating that as recently as 2011 the memorial was still being vandalized.

EDIT: Scullibundo complains about spoilers often. It'd probably be best to just ignore him and his ilk in threads like this.

Last edited:

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
Wtf? That's a joke right? This is a classic horror device. You know something bad is coming but you don't know what. It creates a sense of dread

Red

Oct 26, 2017
That's not a spoiler. I don't know which of you people are real anymore.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
People didn't know and didn't want to know that such a scene exists in the movie -> They are being told that this scene exists without being able to avoid it since it's literally the title of the thread.

The world doesn't revolve around people who are so ridiculous that hearing that a scene exists is too much.

I'm glad injustices are not forgotten thanks to folks like King and the filmmakers

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017

I remember he did that once, in The Stand.
Except it's written in a way most readers will make the wrong assumption.

Also, come on now :D

You can't tell the difference between what Stephen King does and the concept of writing a prequel?

You can't tell that was a joke ?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
That's...not a spoiler. Do you think flashforwards, or movies that start with a scene and then work back to that scene, are "integrating spoilers" into their story?

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I get furious everytime I see that stuff in movies. The reason why I'd never watch 12 Years a Slave and some other films ever again, despite them being brilliant films. Knowing this shit really happened and still happens makes me mad and wanting to punch those people in the face.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
That's...not a spoiler. Do you think flashforwards, or movies that start with a scene and then work back to that scene, are "integrating spoilers" into their story?

There are different ways of doing it. The reason I call the Stephen King way for a spoiler is because he handles the concept exceedingly poorly, in my opinion. It was particularly jarring in the Dark Tower series. Many of the moments that should have been devastating and shocking in those books fell completely flat for me because he couldn't help himself from announcing them way ahead of time. I don't remember the exact scenes in question, but I do recall feeling betrayed by King while reading those books whenever he announced how something was going to turn out. It didn't enhance the story in the way this technique sometimes can, such as the flashforwards in Lost do (for example). King's method resulted in me going "all right, I know this character is safe right now because something will happen to him at *that* point", and once the event I was waiting for happened, there was nothing surprising about it. King might turn expectations on their head in some of his stories, but from what I recall from the Dark Tower, he never did that there. The technique always deflated the tension bubble, and he used it more and more often as the series progressed. It made me angry and spoiled part of the enjoyment I otherwise got out of his marvelous story.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
itt we have people more concerned about having their entertainment spoiled than the topic at hand..

It's not at all surprising given some of their other treatment of/thoughts on queer topics

Proudly-openly queer person here. Seeing this thread derailed from the start with the actual content, the awful hate crime, treated as jack shit and part of everyday life and ignored because it makes them uncomfy to acknowledge what happens to us? Completely, utterly unsurprising. I didn't even blink

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
OP is trying to educate about a terrible event that was emblematic for the problems that certain vulnerable minorities had to experience and people are annoyed because it might lessen a "surprise" in a goddamn movie.

Maybe if you thought about it just a little bit you could perhaps realize that terrible tragedies where people were actually tortured and killed, are of slightly more importance than your enjoyment of moving pictures on a screen.
Have some fucking decency.
This. It absoltuely winds me up and basically shows how little people truly care for the matters of minorities. Who needs to be an ally when there's a mass market, big budget episode in a billion dollar franchise for me to get hyped for?

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
That is so sad. I teared up reading this story, I teared up reading it in the book and I teared up watching it on the big screen this Wednesday night. A 23 year boy died for nothing else than being himself. And he's just one of many. I teared up because he represented the many in my eyes and made me think of everyone who dies daily because of ignorance and hate.

It makes me angry that people can't be what they want or need to be. I'm bisexual, but "publicly' only ever had girlfriends. I don't think I can live through the prejudice, not in Bolsonaro's Brazil.

Oct 27, 2017
That's not a spoiler...

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I sincerely, sincerely hope that the mods sweep through this thread and give bans to the fuck-ups who prioritise "spoilers" of the opening scene existing above spreading awareness of a hate-crime. How messed up must you be to reach that state?

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): Backseat moderation; derailing a sensitive thread over multiple posts, accumulated infractions
I sincerely, sincerely hope that the mods sweep through this thread and give bans to the fuck-ups who prioritise "spoilers" of the opening scene existing above spreading awareness of a hate-crime. How messed up must you be to reach that state?

General Guide to ResetEra

General Guide to ResetEra Last updated on March 4, 2020. Mission Statement Since its founding in late 2017, ResetEra has been an inviting bonfire at the crossroads of the gaming industry. Our goal is to provide a modern platform where enthusiasts and industry professionals alike will want to...

Backseat Moderation

Backseat moderation is when members take it upon themselves to act as if they are in charge of moderation, such as by trying to enforce rules themselves, or by publicly insisting on what kind of moderation needs to happen. Please do not do this. This behavior often leads to thread derailment and user arguments; it is also discourteous to the staff.

The report system is always available if you want to bring your concerns to the attention of the team. If you have questions about moderation, feel free to use the contact form or reach out to the Mod Captains directly. What you should never do is tag individual staff members in a thread while asking them to carry out some form of moderation, particularly punitive action against other members. This is obnoxious and unnecessary and will result in penalties for you.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I never knew that this scene was based on real events. No wonder did it feel so believable when i read it.

You can't tell the difference between what Stephen King does and the concept of writing a prequel?

Okay. Good to know.

Stephen Kings biggest talent as a writer is building tension. This framing technique is a very common technique of doing that. It has nothing to do with spoilers. It's literally how the author wants you to experience the story.

Last edited: