• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Meh. Looks more like a Candyman movie instead of an Invisible Man movie to me.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished watching the entire series of these from the 30s and 40s, so I'm quiet interested with this. Hopefully it will start a good, smart continuation of these classic horror monster types.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Those of you familiar with Whannel's previous work really thought he was going to show a spoilerific trailer? The man has been responsible for some of the best twist endings. I can't wait to see what he's got in store for this one.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't watched Upgrade, you really need to fix that. Was my favorite film that year.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
This thread made me realize that Leigh Whannell was behind Upgrade and that makes me absolutely need to see that movie as soon as possible.

Also this looks awesome, gonna see this despite horror not usually being my thing.

MizneyWorld

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Been hoping this would turn out good when it was announced that Universal was giving Blumhouse/Whannel the reigns on smaller scale horror movies based on classic monsters.

Interesting take on playing the Invisible Man as a ghost or mental health issues.

Don't like Elizabeth Moss and her snowflake Scientology bullshit.

Trailer shows too much. Nice to know from Whannel's tweet that there's much more left to the movie than what the trailer shows but...a first trailer should have kept things more low key. Focusing on the ghost or "is she just crazy?" aspect. Maybe not show the overt "there is an Invisible Man wrecking shit!" stuff.

Once the movie is out, I'm curious to see if this trailer spoiled the ending. There's a part in there where

Moss says something to the effect of "now I see you!" and starts stabbing the shit out of, presumably, the Invisible Man

Was pretty quick but had the look/feel of a climax.

Anyway, hope it's good and gets us more classic monster movies. Werewolf/Wolf Man needs a good one.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
This thread made me realize that Leigh Whannell was behind Upgrade and that makes me absolutely need to see that movie as soon as possible.

Also this looks awesome, gonna see this despite horror not usually being my thing.
Upgrade is amazing, my #3 fav of 2018. Excellently-paced grungy cyberpunk body horror action, unabashed b-movie pulp that low-key tells an evocative and disturbing sci-fi tale

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's one of the most memorable villain performances I've seen, any mention of The Invisible Man needs some of Claude Rains

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Mad Men and Top of the Lake should be enough to shield Moss from any criticism.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
I liked Hollow man, it had Rhona Mitra and that's always a plus.

Seriously if a movie is entertaining it's a good film, This guilty pleasure thing is really obnoxious.

Snobby voice "It's not a good movie but it's a...GUILTY PLEASURE of mine" If you find a movie entertaining guess what? it's entertaining no matter the word you gonna use to say that you enjoyed watching it.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Hollow man, it had Rhona Mitra and that's always a plus.

Seriously if a movie is entertaining it's a good film, This guilty pleasure thing is really obnoxious.

Snobby voice "It's not a good movie but it's a...GUILTY PLEASURE of mine" If you find a movie entertaining guess what? it's entertaining no matter the word you gonna use to say that you enjoyed watching it.
Quality and entertainment value are not correlated. "So bad it's good" movies are things for a reason

Plasticine

Oct 25, 2017
Looks great. I hope it does real well and Universal gives Blumhouse all the toys in the Universal Monsters toy box. I'd really like to see what they do with the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought Upgrade was just okay.

I couldn't get over how much Logan Marshall-Green looked like Discount Tom Hardy in that movie, though.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Upgrade was just okay.

I couldn't get over how much Logan Marshall-Green looked like Discount Tom Hardy in that movie, though.
Green put Hardy to shame with his performance in Upgrade, compared to whatever Hardy was doing in Venom. I could not see Hardy pulling off that physical performance

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
first minute and a half made me really want to watch it.

Second minute or so blew that because I know how it ends now. Will wait for streaming to watch it instead of going to the movies.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
About invisible man-esque movies, carpenter's memoirs of an invisible man is still very fun

memoirs-of-an-invisible-man-us-poster-1992-warner-bros-chevy-chase-daryl-hannah-file-reference-32509-242tha-PMADKR.jpg

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Another trailer that just shows the whole film cut down into two minutes. Why would I go watch this now? I've seen the whole thing.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Tbf, Hardy's bizarre performance is the most interesting thing about Venom and the only thing that makes it watchable.
That's what I mean. Yes, Hardy's bizarre whatever-the-fuck-he-was-doing was the only saving grace of that movie. Green did that same concept and made it cool, funny, and horrifying

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Well what we learn in the movie literally covers the entire arc of the main character. I really doubt there' s a twist to deviate form that.
Yeah idk what "wrong" means here. More invis man shenanigans or more to the plot than the trailer is alluding to?

I did enjoy the twist in Upgrade although it was more because my dumbass did not catch on to it until the last minute.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's what I mean. Yes, Hardy's bizarre whatever-the-fuck-he-was-doing was the only saving grace of that movie. Green did that same concept and made it cool, funny, and horrifying
I mean, I'm not going to credit all that to Green. Seems like the writers/directors play pretty big into that.

Venom is a horribly written/directed/edited film and everyone else in it is giving awful performances.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Can these studios not cut trailers that give the whole story away? Looks good otherwise.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'm not going to credit all that to Green. Seems like the writers/directors play pretty big into that.

Venom is a horribly written film and everyone else in it is giving awful performances.
His body being a super-precise badass while his face is confused and terrified, or the disturbing physicality of the final scene, I feel 100% rests on Green's performance. Not to mention that I felt he was more in sync with the pulpiness of the script than I've seen Hardy be in any of his more b-movie films.

Green may be discount Tom Hardy but I could not see Hardy pulling off that role as well as Green did.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His body being a super-precise badass while his face is confused and terrified, or the disturbing physicality of the final scene, I feel 100% rests on Green's performance. Not to mention that I felt he was more in sync with the pulpiness of the script than I've seen Hardy be in any of his more b-movie films.

Green may be discount Tom Hardy but I could not see Hardy pulling off that role as well as Green did.
No doubt Green is doing a good job and sells the concept. I just don't know that I'd say Hardy couldn't do it.

In Bronson, Hardy shows a tremendous amount of nuance in a very physical performance.

I really just meant that Green looks uncannily like Hardy in Upgrade.