• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At a BBQ tonight with my wife and son. A bunch of people gather to talk about Endgame and the impact of Superheros in pop culture.

One Smartass (Let's call him Ryan since that's his real name) says that A list big time celebrity will be in these films.

I mention that Angelina Jolie will be in the MCU soon enough. And that Matt Damon was already in the MCU.

He totally doesn't believe me about Matt Damon.

I ask him if he wants to bet on it. He says sure $20. I ask to drive his F Type Coupe around the block.

We shook on it with about 10 people watching.

He asks to go back inside to get drinks. Comes back in 1 min and says,
"I just remembered Matt Damon was in Thor Ragnarok. You almost had me...."

I just know this fucker went inside and googled.

Didnt have the decency honour the bet.
I didnt want to push it since there were kids there but I really wanted to drive that Jag...

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Seems to say more about your friend than the internet.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Get better friends, what kinda rat fuck backs out of something so silly as that.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
So basically you're mad that the internet delivers info to people so they don't get conned over petty shit by people like you?

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
If there were kids around u could have taught them a valuable lesson about staying true to your word. Maybe even shed some blood.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Vegas should let you do that.

I just remembered the Mariners sucked. You almost had me!

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How did the internet ruin that bet? The bet was already made and you just didn't want to get your reward.

Did the internet make you soft?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
At a BBQ tonight with my wife and son. A bunch of people gather to talk about Endgame and the impact of Superheros in pop culture.

One Smartass (Let's call him Ryan since that's his real name) says that A list big time celebrity will be in these films.

I mention that Angelina Jolie will be in the MCU soon enough. And that Matt Damon was already in the MCU.

He totally doesn't believe me about Matt Damon.

I ask him if he wants to bet on it. He says sure $20. I ask to drive his F Type Coupe around the block.

We shook on it with about 10 people watching.

He asks to go back inside to get drinks. Comes back in 1 min and says,
"I just remembered Matt Damon was in Thor Ragnarok. You almost had me...."

I just know this fucker went inside and googled.

Didnt have the decency honour the bet.
I didnt want to push it since there were kids there but I really wanted to drive that Jag...

Why didn't u just pull out your phone and show him Matt Damon was in THOR Ragnork right after u made the bet?

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
a kiss on the lips is the only way two men should ever seal an exchange over money

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this how you are supposed to figure out who was right, by looking it up after making the bet...?

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
He literally admitted he lost the bet...?

Betting that Donald Trump isn't the president and then remembering 10 minutes later that Donald Trump is the president doesn't invalidate the bet, it just means that you didn't need someone else to google that shit for you to lose.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you guys made the bet and shook on it, the internet has nothing to do with this. He lost the bet and apparently nobody bothered to enforce the terms.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You won the bet, and didn't collect your reward. It's not the internet's fault. The internet has actually made betting better. Now, you can just google it to find the answer. Before you would have had to watch the VHS and FF or rewind to find the answer. Then, you would get into an argument over whether that was actually Damon or not, since I don't think he is credited.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this one is on you. You won, he admitted it. You need to extract your prize now.

Whatever it takes.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Why didn't u just pull out your phone and show him Matt Damon was in THOR Ragnork right after u made the bet?

This is what I thought the thread would be about.

The bet would be settled in 3 seconds.

If they already shook on it, I don't see how someone could just say, "Oh yeah I remembered on my own that I was wrong, I guess the bet we made is all null and void." Even if this friend somehow didn't google it or go inside to ask another friend, I don't see how this is supposed to let them weasel out of the bet.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think this thread is for some reason really over aggressive. Dude is just sharing a funny story.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll leapfrog on the discussion and say it sort of ruins discussions sometimes because half the time someone goes "wait a sec lemme look it up" when you're talking about almost anything that someone is the slightest bit foggy about.

I'm 40+ tho so I remember sitting around a table at a bar arguing about some shit with friends that NEVER would get resolved that night and it being a great time regardless. Then at a later date someone would bring it back up and have gotten the correct info somehow and that was the end of it. Or it was just forgotten and never spoken of again, it didn't matter.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
This is vaguely familiar of that How I Met Your Mother episode where they talked about how the internet ruined bar discussion.

But in your case OP, that's not how it works. You shake on the bet, then you immediately GOOGLE IT YOURSELF. He's proven wrong, you win. This is your fault fam.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Immediate certainty about dumbass trivia ruins vapid conversations and/or social challenges?

Well, learn something new everyday, I suppose.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it. You shook on the bet. Who gives a shit if he googled it after?

Your friend is a bet welcher. Also known as an asshole.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
the internet just makes easier to find out who won the bet. Your friend shook on it and then backed out after he checked if he was right. Who cares if he found out 2 minutes later? HE SHOOK ON IT.

I shook on a bet with a buddy of mine, and literally showed him the youtube evidence right after we shook hands. He knew he lost. I got the money. That's all it takes.

(it was a dumb bet too. He swore that "I was the one to fill your dark soul with light" was from Street Fighter, when it was obviously from Devil May Cry)