• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
If this truly is their standard, then they shouldn't have reported on Kavanaugh either. There were "red flags" about the timing and political preferences of Ford too, as republicans were so happy to point out.

I find the contradiction extremely distressing, because the idea of using these actions and victims as tools for political sport is extremely distressing to me. The worst outcome from this metoo movement would be if women are believed or disbelieved by their political convenience.

This is a good point.

Oct 27, 2017
Very grim to think that #MeToo as a viable defense against rampant unpunished sexual abuse is about to be so badly damaged or possibly buried entirely so that a few dozen Operators for various (D) politicians and news networks can keep their jobs for a few more months. Not to mention all of their online volunteers working overtime for free trying to discredit a victim when basically all of the same people were rightfully attacking Kavanaugh, in an eerily similar situation except he didn't have the (D). Sad that they don't seem to care about any collateral damage!

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
The bit from times up about how they don't run PR for accusers is bullshit btw

Their PR arm is run by Anita Dunn, of course. Known for running free PR for Harvey Weinstein and being the senior campaign advisor for Biden. Not sure who invented the narrative that they couldn't run PR for Reade.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The bit from times up about how they don't run PR for accusers is bullshit btw

Their PR arm is run by Anita Dunn, of course. Known for running free PR for Harvey Weinstein and being the senior campaign advisor for Biden. Not sure who invented the narrative that they couldn't run PR for Reade.

From that Salon article:

It's important to understand here that Time's Up Legal Defense Fund only provides support beyond these referrals — such as PR assistance — if a client obtains a lawyer and moves to take legal action against workplace harassment. But Reade told Salon she wasn't interested in suing Biden. Instead, she was angry "about the smears about being a Russian agent" from Biden supporters and was hoping a lawyer could find a way to stop them.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

So it was outside the scope of how Time's Up helps with PR. They only do that with people who meet specific criteria.

People should read the Salon article and see all the help that Time's Up did give. This narrative that they turned her away is misleading.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
From that Salon article:

The Salon article was able to confirm what TIme's Up said to Ryan Grim wrt their status as a non profit but ok.

In a written statement to Salon, Uma Iyer of the National Women's Law Center confirmed what Grim reported in The Intercept — their status as a nonprofit comes with "a strict and absolute prohibition on participating in electioneering or political campaign activity." Considering Reade's active presence on Bernie Twitter and her enthusiasm for the Sanders campaign, the concerns that any involvement with her allegations during a presidential primary could be perceived as electioneering don't seem unfounded.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

The Salon article was able to confirm what TIme's Up said to Ryan Grim wrt their status as a non profit but ok.

But it goes against the "not in the business of running PR for accusers" statement. Let's just post the whole section of the article and let people see the whole thing.

2. Did Time's Up refuse to help Reade as a political favor to Biden? Almost certainly not.

As Reade herself said when she was interviewed by pro-Sanders pundit Krystal Ball, Time's Up offered her considerable help when she first reached out to the organization. In its partnership with the National Women's Law Center, Time's Up connected Reade with a number of lawyers who interviewed her to see if she had a case worth pursuing. None of those lawyers took Reade on as a client.

It's important to understand here that Time's Up Legal Defense Fund only provides support beyond these referrals — such as PR assistance — if a client obtains a lawyer and moves to take legal action against workplace harassment. But Reade told Salon she wasn't interested in suing Biden. Instead, she was angry "about the smears about being a Russian agent" from Biden supporters and was hoping a lawyer could find a way to stop them.

One law firm Reade spoke with confirmed that they would not take a case with the ambiguous goal of trying to shut down people on social media who were speculating about an accuser being a "Russian agent."

Carrie Goldberg runs a firm dedicated to defending women against sexual abuse. Time's Up helped Reade set up a meeting with her. Goldberg told Salon that she would not "comment on who reaches out to our firm for help" but said that "our firm never hesitates to take on powerful adversaries." She said her firm is not, however, in the business of threatening "to sue conspiracy theorists for potentially protected speech."

Salon's discussions with Reade indicated that she was less interested in legal action and more in public relations representation — for "protection" and to handle "being inundated" by phone calls from reporters. After this interview, Reade continued to send messages to Salon indicating her anger over not getting help with PR. But Time's Up is primarily a legal organization, and is not in the business of running PR for accusers who aren't going through the court system.

In a written statement to Salon, Uma Iyer of the National Women's Law Center confirmed what Grim reported in The Intercept — their status as a nonprofit comes with "a strict and absolute prohibition on participating in electioneering or political campaign activity." Considering Reade's active presence on Bernie Twitter and her enthusiasm for the Sanders campaign, the concerns that any involvement with her allegations during a presidential primary could be perceived as electioneering don't seem unfounded.

SKDKnickerbocker, the firm that Time's Up hires to do PR support for their legal cases, was founded by Anita Dunn, who is an adviser to Joe Biden. This fact has attracted the attention of many pro-Sanders people on social media who are eager to sense an "establishment" conspiracy, which is understandable. But considering the multiple reasons that Time's Up had to say no to Reade before involving the PR side — she has no legal representation, she's not suing anyone and the whole story could potentially be interpreted as electioneering — there's no reason to believe that Dunn ran interference to quell Reade's story.

Edit: Actually, I think maybe I'm not getting just what Grim was saying there. Nvm me.

Edit 2: For completion's sake adding Marcotte's tweet thread rebuttal to Grim:

Last edited:

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
But it goes against the "not in the business of running PR for accusers" statement. Let's just post the whole section of the article and let people see the whole thing.

Edit: Actually, I think maybe I'm not getting just what Grim was saying there. Nvm me.

Edit 2: For completion's sake adding Marcotte's tweet thread rebuttal to Grim:

For 102% secret completion's sake

o67u0R4.png

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I can't take liberals who refuse to consider the possibility that this may be true seriously. This is a man that routinely crosses boundaries with young women, that threw Anita Hill under the bus, and has a history of saying creepy sexist things.

I'm not saying this definitely proves Biden did it, I'm saying that he fits the profile.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I can't take liberals who refuse to consider the possibility that this may be true seriously. This is a man that routinely crosses boundaries with young women, that threw Anita Hill under the bus, and has a history of saying creepy sexist things.

I'm not saying this definitely proves Biden did it, I'm saying that he fits the profile.
Not gunna hold my breath on NYT and WaPo which are apparently the green light for TV stations to start running it

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans

He absolutely fits the profile.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like this story is completely dead in liberal media now. Seeing more right wing outlets pick it up. Also now on social media Biden supporters have entered a new level of toxicity attacking anyone who brings up his allegations, calling them names, shouting down sexual assault victims saying at least he rapes less, etc. Surely the media will cover toxic Biden Bros right?

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Seems like this story is completely dead in liberal media now. Seeing more right wing outlets pick it up. Also now on social media Biden supporters have entered a new level of toxicity attacking anyone who brings up his allegations, calling them names, shouting down sexual assault victims saying at least he rapes less, etc. Surely the media will cover toxic Biden Bros right?

It is going to be bitterly humorous when Biden supporters start claiming that people getting upset about these accusations are abusing the language of victimization for political gain

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is going to be bitterly humorous when Biden supporters start claiming that people getting upset about these accusations are abusing the language of victimization for political gain

They'll also claim Biden got no outside support and people magically came to the conclusion that Biden is our best shot organically, totally ignoring reality.

Oct 25, 2017

It's always been a fucking team game for these people. So quick to scream "retire bitch" when it's against their opponent, but we see the same pathetic bullshit when their guy is being accused. We've seen it on this very forum and it's really gross. Anyone bringing up shit like "praising Putin" and "she's a Bernie bro" is no different than the fucking media circus with their "he smoked weed, he was 6 foot, he was no angel" garbage about Trayvon Martin. This week liberals proved that they are just the fucking same as conservatives. No wonder we have 2 rapists running against each other for president. What a fucking joke.

Abaddonn

Dec 4, 2018
User banned (1 month): victim blaming, dismissing sexual assault allegations
There seems to be alot of people in this thread convinced that Biden did this, in that case why would this woman not sue him? Any of you got a good explanation for this?

thoughthaver

Banned
Feb 6, 2020
User banned (1 week): inflammatory point of comparison
It's always been a fucking team game for these people. So quick to scream "retire bitch" when it's against their opponent, but we see the same pathetic bullshit when their guy is being accused. We've seen it on this very forum and it's really gross. Anyone bringing up shit like "praising Putin" and "she's a Bernie bro" is no different than the fucking media circus with their "he smoked weed, he was 6 foot, he was no angel" garbage about Trayvon Martin. This week liberals proved that they are just the fucking same as conservatives. No wonder we have 2 rapists running against each other for president. What a fucking joke.
seeing liberals morphing into trump supporters over this accusation has been wild. but not surprising. scratch a liberal and a fascist bleeds etc.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Remember when Clinton lost 2016, and some people went "but her emails" on people who chose to sit the election out? From what I understand of the situation (didn't really follow that election), that sounds like fair criticism. In other words, her e-mail story was, at worst, a drop in the bucket compared to, well, everything about Trump. And also possibly a calculated oppo move. Right? Right.

Now picture this hypothetical scenario:
1) Biden gets the nom, but loses to Trump in the GE
2) Meanwhile, the rape allegations against Biden don't really get resolved officially (but still retain a decent measure of plausibility), or outright end up being proven true at some point.
How many Biden voters do you think will dare "but his rape allegations!" people who sat out the election? 😂

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There seems to be alot of people in this thread convinced that Biden did this, in that case why would this woman not sue him? Any of you got a good explanation for this?

Eeehhhh trust me I think this whole thing requires diligence by the press and the law - but the vast, teeming majority of rapes, sexual assaults and more go unreported, unpunished and unlegislated - because it's traumatic for victims, societies punish claimants and it's ruinously expensive to take legal action.

I don't know if this woman's accusation is true or not but I start every instance by assuming they're telling the truth so that the victim is given the benefit of the doubt - that doesn't mean I can't also listen to the accused's denial fairly - but not suing is utterly meaningless.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
What's next? Calling her a Russian asset? A bernie bro? Fuck, this is exactly the same stupid reasoning r/neoliberal has (not shocked about it). "Believe women, unless it's against us"

Last edited:

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Debase yourself for uncle fingers. The abundance of creepy material should've been disqualifying from the start and it only gets worse the closer his coronation gets.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
seeing liberals morphing into trump supporters over this accusation has been wild. but not surprising. scratch a liberal and a fascist bleeds etc.
Not really shocking. I mean it's not like rape, sexual assault, believing women, etc., was purely a conservative issue. We know from just the numbers alone, where it is common, etc., that there are plenty of people who are Dems/liberals who don't take sexual assault very seriously, particularly if it doesn't rise to the levels of what people imagine rape/sexual assault to be.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know if people have read her Medium articles from earlier this year and last year, but they should definitely be owed a read since we're getting into the headspace of the victim:

medium.com

POWERFUL MEN AND THE WOMEN THEY CHOOSE TO DESTROY

By Alexandra Tara Reade J.D.
Then came Washington DC. I worked for a prominent congressman and was hired later by Senator Joe Biden. Joe Biden was my political hero. The following months and events crushed my spirit in a way that is hard to express. I reported Joe Biden's sexual harassment of me at a time when no one listened and supervisors looked at me like I was the one with the problem. Some women even suggested, I comply with serving drinks to those male donors as suggested, to advance my career and winked they would like his attention or to be in the room with some of those men. This was my life, I wondered, to parade in front of men hoping I am worthy of their attention?
Yet, this was the message in the 1990s and even 2000's. Play along to get along. Then, something happened that changed me forever.

www.theunion.com

Nevada County woman says Joe Biden inappropriately touched her while working in his U.S. Senate office

A Nevada County woman has added her voice to a recent spate of allegations that former vice president and possible presidential candidate Joe Biden touched her when she worked in
So, I spoke up and said no while working for Joe Biden. I was threatened and I will not say here what was said but I was scared. I got stuck in a windowless office, told to look for another job, no one on the Hill would even interview me once word got around about Biden. The windowless office cut off from staff would illustrate my future of no more viable work and no voice. I became more silent and lost.
People wonder why women stay silent about sexual harassment and sexual assault.

"A Girl Walks into the Senate…" by Alexandra Tara Reade, J.D. https://link.medium.com/GzM3oWQL22

I am the living example of what happens when you dare to be seen and speak out against powerful men. I lost my job, my career. I did not end up with the career I dreamed of at all. I have drifted from different jobs to survive and always hoping to reinvent my future.

Last year, my reputation was smeared again by Joe Biden's campaign cronies on twitter and social media when the story came out on the AP wire about what he did. I lost clients in my freelance work after a reporter called me a Russian agent online. I received phone call and email threats, my website hacked. Mainstream press has still not really covered my story. I am again, still silenced.
I have not even told the whole story about working for Biden,
why would I?

The next time you witness or hear of sexual harassment or sexual assault instead of asking about the person who reported it. Ask why so many powerful men are assaulting and harassing women in such a pathological way. And if you find out that answer, please, call me.

and the one from last year when Biden's other victims came forward:
medium.com

A Girl Walks into the Senate…

My Time with Biden’s Senate Office
I am a loyal American and in the words of Lucy Flores, I was a Democratic foot soldier. I voted despite all my troubles for the Obama/Biden ticket…twice. I heard Assemblywoman Flores speak up and then she was ripped apart in some of the media. This is why women do not speak up, in case anyone is wondering. The late-night hosts lined up with their snide humor, but hey, we still need to laugh at ourselves.

All of the trolls? The outrage and circling the wagons to protect Joe Biden? It comes from a real place. A place of fear and hope for a better future than the one we have now. I get it. But a friend called who knew me back then and heard a pundit say, "Yes, well none of his former employees have come out."

My friend said gently, "Tara, did you hear that?"

I sighed, "yea." And the gauntlet had been thrown. So I responded to the reporter who called me.

There is a song by Sara Bareilles, "She Used to be Mine" that sums up these experiences. Like the lyrics say, I am imperfect but kind and hard on myself. To the millennials, as you look at our geopolitical landscape and the major candidates, remember, "Mockingjay."
To my trolls, I am sorry you were baffled and scared that I was a foreign agent or some political scheme to end Joe Biden. I am not. Even after all that happened, Joe Biden's legislative agenda, especially on social issues was aligned with my own.

We all suffer from fear and grief. If we could just see each other with some compassion. All of us face the death of loved ones. Right before I came to Biden's office, my brother died. Watching my beautiful brother slowly die young and in tremendous pain was awful. Joe Biden has faced the loss of not one but two children and others close to him. He has had unimaginable grief. Many of us have known that dark corridor of pain. Some never get out.

If we can reach out to each other with empathy and the knowledge we are all trying our best with the information we have at the time, maybe there will be healing. Maybe as women, we can speak up at the time and not lose our jobs or reputations if our boundaries are violated. Maybe these men can modify their behavior or at least let them be held accountable. There needs to be restorative justice for victims who lose their jobs due to sexual harassment and assault. Maybe we can start from there.

Both articles, along with her initial interview, deserve a readover and it would be nice if people did that before commenting further. At least it would hopefully reduce the hot takes.

Abaddonn

Dec 4, 2018
Is that your proof criteria? Only legitimate sexual assaults result in lawsuits by the victim?
Proof criteria? I didn't say anything about proof criteria, I just find it weird that she doesn't seem interested in wanting to sue when she could totally do that. You don't think this case should be investigated at all? We should just blindly believe everyone who accuses someone else of something? Btw I have no idea if Biden did this or not, I'm not trying to defend him.

RockGun90

Jul 28, 2018
No no, instead we should keep Trump, his Cabinet, and his policies in place, so we can keep the moral high ground. And throw in a Supreme Court justice pick for good measure.
I mean, if the Democrats elect Biden as their nominee and he loses because of this allegation, that sounds like all of that is their fault.

Jan 18, 2018
But, do you disagree with my post? Look, times have changed. Behavior that was viewed as "okay" a generation ago, is no longer "okay." There are degrees of wrong. People are posting about him like he is Harvey Weinstein or Bill Cosby. It is just not the same and the degree to which people are attacking Biden on this forum right now is out of whack with what he has even been accused of.Trump is a danger on so many levels.

This sounds like what people say about their racist grandparents. Only reason that shit was okay is because men had a tighter grip on society, now it's slipping and they have to answer for oppressive behavior. Time aint a good excuse.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Proof criteria? I didn't say anything about proof criteria, I just find it weird that she doesn't seem interested in wanting to sue when she could totally do that. You don't think this case should be investigated at all? We should just blindly believe everyone who accuses someone else of something? Btw I have no idea if Biden did this or not, I'm not trying to defend him.

Considering how few rape cases (both criminal and civil) end in favor of the victim, I don't see what's weird about Reade not wanting to sue. She wouldn't have a chance without hard evidence (which most rape cases don't have, especially not when they happened years ago). What does a lawsuit do for her that her interview didn't?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how few rape cases (both criminal and civil) end in favor of the victim, I don't see what's weird about Reade not wanting to sue. She wouldn't have a chance without hard evidence (which most rape cases don't have, especially not when they happened years ago). What does a lawsuit do for her that her interview didn't?

Forgive my ignorance, but was there hard evidence against Weinstein or just witness/victim accounts?

Edit: This is just an aside, I don't believe a lawsuit is in any way necessary to be believed.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Forgive my ignorance, but was there hard evidence against Weinstein or just witness/victim accounts?

Edit: This is just an aside, I don't believe a lawsuit is in any way necessary to be believed.

There was enough hard evidence to send him to jail, which tends to be difficult in cases like his.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Also, unless my understanding of the US judicial system is completely wrong, even if she had a reasonable chance of winning, it's still a very lenghty and costly process, isn't it? Even for pragmatism's sake, I could understand a victim (of anything) not wanting to sue the perpetrator. Much less so if said perpetrator is a powerful politician.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Also, unless my understanding of the US judicial system is completely wrong, even if she had a reasonable chance of winning, it's still a very lenghty and costly process, isn't it? Even for pragmatism's sake, I could understand a victim (of anything) not wanting to sue the perpetrator. Much less so if said perpetrator is a powerful politician.

Firms can represent her pro bono, and if she won, the defendant could be liable for court costs, but yes upfront it would be an obstacle. In this particular case, I have no doubt that she could crowdfund the expenses, at least up to the election, but again if she doesn't want to sue that shouldn't be seen as evidence of things one way or the other.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I'm getting sick and fucking tired of you running interference for Biden across every thread that involves Tara Reade's accusation of rape, calling for proof and more evidence despite the multiple allegations of inappropriate touching and harassment other women have also reported. Many of which is brazenly done on camera, in front of the rest of the world (some linked above).

You've been downplaying her accusation since it showed up and no amount of "other people are saying/according to them" is going to change that. I see you.

A year ago, you swore up and down that if even one person accused Biden of sexual assault, we should "burn him alive" and that if any woman says she felt assaulted by him "throw him under the bus".

Turns out all of that is complete and utter bullshit and that you don't actually care about victims of abuse. You care more about burying a story to protect our probable nominee because you value that more than giving accusers a voice.

You are the reason why victims of sexual assault don't step forward. You are a silencer.

FWIW I agree with you. I'm about to put said poster on ignore, constantly makes my blood absolutely boil. Bless your non-bs approach to this whole topic. Someone Such as yourself with their heart completely in the right place gets fed up at the nonsense people are coming with and then ends up getting banned themselves. Don't agree with that at all