• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
Investigate him, I say. But let's be honest, if he's found innocent, is that REALLY going to change anyone's minds in here?

And I will say, that the title (#metoo) is a bit misleading. Here's what the accuser said herself:

"In June 1993 Reade found herself in an office without windows. Two months later she left Biden's office, she said.
Reade said Biden's senior staff protected the senator. She was considered a distraction. Reade said she didn't consider the acts toward her sexualization. She instead compared her experience to being a lamp.
"It's pretty. Set it over there," she said. "Then when it's too bright, you throw it away.""

Not that treating another human being like that is great, but it's a bit different from sexual harassment.

EDIT: This post was made before people gave me additional information/context. The thread title is accurate and the accusations are sexual in nature. When a woman says something like this, I fully believe you should listen to her. I definitely support a full investigation.

Last edited:

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Have fun pretending to have principles while voting for an enthusiastic supporter of the invasion of Iraq and a sexual predator who in a civilized society, would be sentenced to permanent exile

Yeah this whole thing sucks

Worth noting that Anita Dunn, his senior campaign adviser, also ran free PR for Harvey Weinstein during his accusations.

Last edited:

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Investigate him, I say. But let's be honest, if he's found innocent, is that REALLY going to change anyone's minds in here?

And I will say, that the title (#metoo) is a bit misleading. Here's what the accuser said herself:

Not that treating another human being like that is great, but it's a bit different from sexual harassment.

How do you reconcile that the title is misleading when the accuser herself tried to find support from TimesUp, which IS a MeToo organization?

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
How do you reconcile that the title is misleading when the accuser herself tried to find support from TimesUp, which IS a MeToo organization?
That's a good point. Hmm. I guess I'd ask her if she thought it was sexual harassment. If she's since changed her mind (which she's allowed to do as matters like this can be complicated), I think it's relevant to know.

Explicit(!) interview with Tara Reade in which she details the assault.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a good point. Hmm. I guess I'd ask her if she thought it was sexual harassment. If she's since changed her mind (which she's allowed to do as matters like this can be complicated), I think it's relevant to know.

You can listen to the woman herself (trigger warning: explicit detail of sexual assault):

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this whole thing sucks

Worth noting that Anita Hill, his senior campaign adviser, also ran free PR for Harvey Weinstein during his accusations.

Anita Hill is a victim of sexual abuse, you're thinking of Anita Dunn.

Anita Hill made an extremely credible sexual assault accusation against Justice Clarence Thomas, whose asshole wife actually had the temerity to make an unsolicited call to ask Anita Hill to apologize AFTER the disgusting I LIKE BEER rape fiasco. Two credible sexual assaulters on the Supreme Court and one cuckoo (in the stolen nest sense). That combined with John Roberts' recent heel turn (from right wing jerk with principles and a sense of decorum to regular right wing jerk) makes me extremely nervous. If Roberts thinks "ah fuck it" I can just do anything I'm askedf and hide in a yacht club from now on, then we're seriously doomed.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

Anita Hill made an extremely credible sexual assault accusation against Justice Clarence Thomas, whose asshole wife actually had the temerity to make an unsolicited call to ask Anita Hill to apologize AFTER the disgusting I LIKE BEER rape fiasco. Two credible sexual assaulters on the Supreme Court and one cuckoo.

Yeah, sorry, fixed it. Very unfortunate mistake on my part.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can listen to the woman herself:

Jesus. Listening to the woman's account, this goes beyond unwanted touching. It's alleged sexual assault.

Listen to the woman's account please.

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like what that excuse implies about Joe Biden coming from someone who works on his campaign. If we report this accusation against Joe Biden and he wins in November he'll probably punish us for helping a woman share her story of abuse. I can't say I'm shocked though.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Ah okay, fair enough. I'll take a look when I have time.

It's unfortunate that she made her tweets political. It doesn't help her case. People will just dismiss this as politically motivated which noone deserves.

It's not really further politicizing to want the only reasonable alternative to your abuser to become president instead of your abuser

Dems rightfully made a big deal about Trump's allegations last election, they have a chance to do the right thing here too, but I doubt they will be principled about this...

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's unfortunate that she made her tweets political. It doesn't help her case. People will just dismiss this as politically motivated which noone deserves.

Victims have the right to make their case political, I do have to give side-eye to campaigns using accusations as political fodder regardless of who's doing it -- at least without context - at least with Trump we could point to his own admissions and court records - these weren't unproven (yet) accusations. They were facts, court records, admissions and tapes.

On the other hand, Biden's sheer depth of even nonsexual touchy weirdness isn't unproven accusations - it's an extremely awkwards series of indisputable things he definitely did. We have a weird spectrum of forgivability in this country - I'd contrast Trump "grab her by the pussy" and multiple forcible rape and assault accusations - with Al Franken's inappropriate and disrespectful chicanery as an example of that gulf. Shoulld Al Franken have resigned? Maybe. Should Donald Trump have been rewarded with the most powerful job in the world? Obviously not.

From a strategic POV I think forcing Franken out was dangerous and a blend of actual and feigned or exaggerated outrage, but then I wasn't humiliated or embarassed in his photos.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dude did equal to or worse things than Al Franken and there was proper demands for his resignation. And Biden's behavior and attitudes towards these behaviors by other men has been well captured even outside of a window where people could use a "It's a russian smear" excuse.

Edit: Listened to Reade's stry of what happened and it's sexual assault and worse than Franken

Last edited:

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
Is it not reasonable to have a principle along the lines of:
"I will not vote for a sexual predator"?
See if you don't compromise your values by voting for the slightly less shitty women harraser than you are a moral black hole.

It's telling how some people treat sexual harassment as simply an optics game. So hyper focused on 'Beating Trump':tm: that they are willing to give free passes for previous crimes and violations of peoples dignity.

The proper response to stuff like this would be to DEMAND Joe Biden seriously address this and make new policies within his campaign and beyond to mitigate the chances of this happening again. Instead you have posters deflecting, getting mad at people not supporting him in light of this or defending it on the basis of 'it was more accepted back then'.

To counter that- no, I dont believe it was more 'accepted' back then. It was simply scum behavior that more people could get away with because creeps held more power over the victims.

This shit is no better than MAGA voters deflecting the various pedophillic and rape accusations against trump because MAGA.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, being a senile old man is one thing, but a sexual predator, I can't in good conscience vote for.
All of these democrats in all of these states who voted for Biden? You all just fucked us. This has potential to give us another 4 of Trump.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anita Hill made an extremely credible sexual assault accusation against Justice Clarence Thomas, whose asshole wife actually had the temerity to make an unsolicited call to ask Anita Hill to apologize AFTER the disgusting I LIKE BEER rape fiasco. Two credible sexual assaulters on the Supreme Court and one cuckoo (in the stolen nest sense). That combined with John Roberts' recent heel turn (from right wing jerk with principles and a sense of decorum to regular right wing jerk) makes me extremely nervous. If Roberts thinks "ah fuck it" I can just do anything I'm askedf and hide in a yacht club from now on, then we're seriously doomed.
Probably worth mentioning here that Joe Biden was a chair of the senate judiciary committee when Anita Hill testified before congress about Clarence Thomas' sexual assault and he didn't exactly covered himself in glory.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to the audio excerpt Reade. Joe Biden raped her. It's horrifying to hear and difficult to get through.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

Eh if someone sexually assaulted you would you want them to be the democratic nominee and potential president? Joe Biden has a long history of placing his hands on camera in places where it's unwanted so sadly this isn't much a surprise.

If he wasn't the almost assured democratic nominee I doubt he would be even be getting much defense from the democratic establishment, regardless these claims are serious and must be dealt as such you shouldn't lower your morals simply because the other party has a rapist as the president.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Probably worth mentioning here that Joe Biden was a chair of the senate judiciary committee when Anita Hill testified before congress about Clarence Thomas' sexual assault and he didn't exactly covered himself in glory.

Not to mention his thing about a woman's body also being the privilege of her husband's with respect to abortion and similar rights. (I forget the exact quote.)

I expect more accusers to speak up in the coming weeks.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, the deal keeps looking worse the more we look. And these are the people we have as options for our leaders.

Ars Arcanum

alt account
Banned
Feb 3, 2019
Yeah, being a senile old man is one thing, but a sexual predator, I can't in good conscience vote for.
All of these democrats in all of these states who voted for Biden? You all just fucked us. This has potential to give us another 4 of Trump.
Potential was before these allegations came to light and Biden was just lying in the debates constantly and forgetting where he even was. Now? Nail in the coffin.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
Potential was before these allegations came to light and Biden was just lying in the debates constantly and forgetting where he even was. Now? Nail in the coffin.

I don't really see that to be honest. As much as I hate to admit it shit like the video of Joe Biden telling a factory worker to 'shut the fuck up' when talking about guns rights has a better chance of sinking his campaign than this.

Some of the reactions in this thread are telling enough of this.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deepwater you may want to post a warning on that audio. It's difficult to listen to.

Jesus Christ, this clip is going to get a ton of play in September/October during the general election, isn't it? GOP has their own version of a tape to play against the Democratic nominee.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Victims have the right to make their case political, I do have to give side-eye to campaigns using accusations as political fodder regardless of who's doing it -- at least without context - at least with Trump we could point to his own admissions and court records - these weren't unproven (yet) accusations. They were facts, court records, admissions and tapes.

On the other hand, Biden's sheer depth of even nonsexual touchy weirdness isn't unproven accusations - it's an extremely awkwards series of indisputable things he definitely did. We have a weird spectrum of forgivability in this country - I'd contrast Trump "grab her by the pussy" and multiple forcible rape and assault accusations - with Al Franken's inappropriate and disrespectful chicanery as an example of that gulf. Shoulld Al Franken have resigned? Maybe. Should Donald Trump have been rewarded with the most powerful job in the world? Obviously not.

From a strategic POV I think forcing Franken out was dangerous and a blend of actual and feigned or exaggerated outrage, but then I wasn't humiliated or embarassed in his photos.
These are legit disgusting sentiments. Unproven accusations.....? What does evidence or proof have anything to do with this.

Also, I can't believe people are still trying to rationalize Al Franken not resigning. Dude fucking sexually assaulted people, beyond the photo.

Let me help you out: Al Franken being forced out was the right thing to do, one of the times dems could actually say they're different from republicans in this regard. That this even needs to be stated is absurd.

In short: let's stop downplaying sexual harassment and assault.

Last edited:

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Deepwater you may want to post a warning on that audio. It's difficult to listen to.

Jesus Christ, this clip is going to get a ton of play in September/October during the general election, isn't it? GOP has their own version of a tape to play against the Democratic nominee.
There's a good reason why I voted for Bernie over Biden and the potential for stuff like that is a major reason why. Just wish that someone that could actually beat Biden ended up in a one on one against him.

supra

Oct 30, 2017
Because the alternative was Sanders. An awful candidate who surrounds himself with even worse people. Honestly both Sanders and Biden should have stood down this year but this is what we have now. Also fuck the Intercept, not necessarily because of this story but rather because they are Russian propaganda.
Joe Biden surrounded himself with very lovely segregationists for years and even eulogized Strom Thurmond, cut the fucking bullshit dude.

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019
For the entire primary, I have said to myself that sexual harassment/assault/rape/etc. is where I'd draw the line as far as "vote blue no matter who" goes. And I already wasn't keen on Biden JUST due to his role in defending other people guilty of sex crimes back in the day - to say nothing about all the other issues I have with him. At this point I can confidently say that Biden can go fuck himself, and I will not be voting for him in the general if he is the nominee.

(And I would have also said this about Bernie if he actually won and then it turned out he had his own comparable skeletons in the closet. It's called moral consistency, and it's not actually that difficult to achieve, so this is no boast coming from me. The bare MINIMUM we can do is take allegations of sex crimes against our own candidates seriously, and not immediately jump right to attacking the victims instead. Otherwise, can we really say we're better than the Republicans on this issue?)

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Anita Hill didn't accuse Clarence Thomas of sexual assault -- she accused him of running a hostile workplace with rampant sexual harassment (from him) and unwanted advances (also from him)

I'm not downplaying that, and I'm only motivated to correct it because you lumped him together with Kavanaugh who was accused of raping multiple women. It gives the impression that Kavanaugh's appointment is just business as usual when it is actually a huge (yet natural) escalation

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
If this is truly as bad as it seems, shouldn't the party do something to nominate someone else? Just because Biden seems the de facto nominee doesn't mean anything until the convention right?

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Looking at some of the wild takes in this thread and...
I don't care what political leaning you have, I'm begging you: Please don't support or defend sexual predators, people. It doesn't matter if it was "just a touch", or "not rape" or whatever. They fucked up, whoever they may be, be it Trump or Biden, or hell, Al Franken. And they hurt innocent people doing it. Tara Reade is just as much a victim as the women Trump has victimized and never seen court for hurting.

And, this isn't speculation, but rather, a caution. Usually where there's smoke, there's fire. I've known of several powerful men (or, well, who have a certain power or leverage over their victims) who were "only" accused of touching rather than outright rape. Vic Mignogna for example (who we have a humongous thread about over here) who then turned out to actually have attempted to force himself on one of his coworkers in bed and touched many many more fans inappropriately than talked out initially. To be extremely clear, I am NOT saying Biden did that. What I am saying, is, there's probably more women he's hurt- as well as Trump and every other person with multiple #metoo allegations- than those who have spoken out, and a not impossible chance he's done worse. We NEED to listen to the ones brave enough to speak out.

Sadly it seems people are more willing to defend Grandpa Joe or rationalize why he's still a decent guy than take the side of the women he's hurt and victims as a whole. Please don't do that. Please.

Like I swear we've had this conversation before, too, when the other women who have accused him came forward, and we've learned nothing. It doesn't matter he's on the "good guy team" or whatever. He needs to be held accountable for his ill actions. Let's just say what's true for him as it is for Trump and every other person accused by multiple people:

Joe Biden is a sex pest and absolutely should answer for that.

That out of the way, it's ridiculous that Time's Up didn't step up to the plate for that. "We're nonprofit and he's running for president" shouldn't be an excuse. How fucking ridiculous. They should know this will actually actively prevent women and other victims from asking them for help because they might turn them away for some arbitrary reason. It undermines their ENTIRE cause, knowing how scary it is for victims to step forward to the authorities already.

EDIT: Wow. Now listening to her talk. It wasn't "just touching", it WAS rape. Holy shit. Don't support this monster ResetERA, you're better than that.

Last edited:

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Biden's personal past was always my biggest worry about him becoming the nominee. Listening to the interview, I believe her.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
You can listen to the woman herself (trigger warning: explicit detail of sexual assault):

This is fucking horrific, and I think it goes far beyond what people are aware of with Biden's sexual assault history.

Maybe FliXFantatier could directly add the soundcloud link? I think more people really need to hear this. I recognize that there's a link in the first reply, but I think many people may still miss it.

soundcloud.com

Tara Reade, Joe Biden's accuser, finally tells her full story (excerpt)

Hear the full interview https://soundcloud.com/katie-halper/tara-to-post Read Ryan Grim's article https://theintercept.com/2020/03/24/joe-biden-metoo-times-up/ Support the show https://www.patreon.com

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
I can already see the placards this November. I voted for this rapist because he's better than the other rapist. jfc.

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
This is fucking horrific, and I think it goes far beyond what people are aware of with Biden's sexual assault history.

Maybe FliXFantatier could directly add the soundcloud link? I think more people really need to hear this. I recognize that there's a link in the first reply, but I think many people may still miss it.

soundcloud.com

Tara Reade, Joe Biden's accuser, finally tells her full story (excerpt)

Hear the full interview https://soundcloud.com/katie-halper/tara-to-post Read Ryan Grim's article https://theintercept.com/2020/03/24/joe-biden-metoo-times-up/ Support the show https://www.patreon.com
Done and threadmarked.