• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WishIwasAwolf

Banned
Oct 24, 2020
You just have to look at their history here with the one X plus their surface line to see how good their hardware design can be. I am pretty sure MS thought this through.

The One series have excellent quality and reliability, the surface line... does not. Like at all.
I am sure the Series X has great thermal management and low failure rate, but believe me, you would hope it's nothing like the surface line.

I love how packed it all is. A 5nm revision without the drive will be even smaller than the Series S

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Damn I didn't mean to stir the hornets nest. Just saying I'm waiting for real life results with demanding next gen games that really tank the GPU and CPU before I take anything away from the design. I'm going on what I'm seeing: a very tightly packed console and partly blocked air vents. If it manages to stay quiet: well done.

We haven't seen any demanding next gen PS5 games either.

And it's the same thing for PS5. I will be convinced of it's cooling/noise level, once the real life tests with games like Demon's Souls and Miles Morales start rolling in. Up until then I will keep my reservations.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
And it's the same thing for PS5. I will be convinced of it's cooling/noise level, once the real life tests with games like Demon's Souls and Miles Morales start rolling in. Up until then I will keep my reservations.
How do you know Demon's Souls and Miles Morales are more demanding than last gen games like RDR2, for example?

It looks like The Watch Dogs Legion will be a more representative test. It's very demanding even on high-end PCs.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Damn I didn't mean to stir the hornets nest. Just saying I'm waiting for real life results with demanding next gen games that really tank the GPU and CPU before I take anything away from the design. I'm going on what I'm seeing: a very tightly packed console and partly blocked air vents. If it manages to stay quiet: well done.

Some optimized games already use the full power so have full access to the GPU and CPU. It even pushes it to a 211w power peak with Gears 5 optimized.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
How do you know Demon's Souls and Miles Morales are more demanding than last gen games like RDR2, for example?
It is important to point out that back compat games have full access to the GPU and CPU. I imagine certain games that have unlocked frame rates and resolutions could push the console pretty hard.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020

Brooooo

Have you not watched ANY videos/articles/engineering slides discussing this? Been beat to death for the last month or more. Christ sake, they were using thermal cameras to show it even. I swear peeps do this shit on purpose lol.

And I'm not even sure DeS or Miles will push the PS5 anyways...WD Legion or AC Valhalla will likely be the first real tests for both I assume.

I think both XSX/S and PS5 will be fine cooling wise. It was clearly a design requirement after getting feedback from this gen's consoles.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
We already have had a peek inside anyway, I wasn't expecting a major difference in retail. But Resetera told me that the XSX was a boring, uninspired black box? Who will I believe? /s

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Am I the only one who find the assembling a bit rough on this picture ? Tape fixing for the flat floating cable irregularly cornered ; fan connector and its cable under the pressure of the rear plate ; a... a clamp ?! to maintain parts and keep enough pressure on the cooler with volume (?) on it to keep some resistance with the case. It seems that the case has no other physical properties than protecting the inside and guiding the airflow - at least on this picture it it doesn't appear as a maintaining structure for the inside (I dunno how the integrated stand is made).

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
Elww2XrXUAQgozz

Steve Jobs would disapprove, if you drop this thing in water a small air bubble will surely escape. Thus, there's too much dead space ;)

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Pretty simple really. RDR2 is limited to PS4 spec, so it won't be pushing PS5 at all.
That's a weird way to determine that a game is more demanding. Neither Miles nor Demon's Souls looks more demanding than RDR2, a huge open-world game with top-notch graphics. Miles is a cross gen game. Demon's Souls doesn't even have RT, the next gen feature.

My point is, there's no point of reference with console exclusive games. You can't just say that an exclusive game is pushing the console to its limit when there's no way to be sure of it (vs its performance on PC).

That's why a game like Watch Dogs Legion will be more representative: a game with RT that even the most powerful gaming PCs are struggling with.

NuKER

Dec 15, 2017
Portugal
After analysing this and the full components list from other df video, they can almost shrink this to an series S size if it wasn't for dvd drive and dual board.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020

Do I think this thing will run hot and be loud when you get it on day one and maybe throughout its first year? No.

Do I think it's eventually going to be an issue? Yes. There's so little room for good airflow in this config, and dust is gonna get in this thing and obstruct it even further.

But, that's something that people will have to deal with in a year/2 years, or by the time a Slim revision of this comes out.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
Have we seen an S teardown yet? Really curious to see how packed that console is.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Do I think this thing will run hot and be loud when you get it on day one and maybe throughout its first year? No.

Do I think it's eventually going to be an issue? Yes. There's so little room for good airflow in this config, and dust is gonna get in this thing and obstruct it even further.

But, that's something that people will have to deal with in a year/2 years, or by the time a Slim revision of this comes out.

You think series X consoles are going to overheat en masse in about a year or two?

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks neat. Doesn't fit in my media unit though, whereas the more traditionally shaped PS5 does.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Digital Foundry have tested the noise, the heat and the power usage.
They've said the new Version of Gears 5 was the most demanding, which makes sense given how it looks and the new things they've turned on

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah laying it flat looks like a bad idea most of it look like base on heat going up and out, laying it down going get in way of that air flow unless that fan really going for it but sounds like it not

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Btw the guy in the vid shows two screws he removed. Any idea what he is saying?