• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
If it's episodic/seasonal like some of those rumours suggested, and it leads to new Hitman style levels/words that you replay over and over finding different ways to complete the mission then this could be really super fucking cool.

The "deliver stories that stand alongside our peers in TV and movies" line from Darrell Gallagher has me very wary though, I don't care if shit is cinematic I want a game that knows it's a game and controls and play well.

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sitting here looking at my game shelf and I have 5 (FIVE) Third Person Sony exclusives next to each other on it from THIS past generation. (Most of which I enjoyed very much)

I see a total of 1 (ONE) Microsoft First Person shooters on the shelf from this past generation. What year are some of you from? 🤣

I'm also like 10 hours into Control now.

Perfect Dark is one of my favorite games of all time, all you delusional people let us Perfect Dark fans be excited for this and the fact that it's first person, LOL.
That s 1 too many fps shooter 😅

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hope it won't take too long to have a good look at the new Joanna. So far, that trailer and the concept arts above are all from behind. Letting me think her final design might not be finished yet? Or maybe they just like to tease.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand, "seasonal" could have been some kind of code word for the environmental aspect. Kind of a pun that ended up getting taken literally.

On the other hand, consider this: Maybe they're looking to make a huge, 50-60 hour game. And maybe the plan is release the game in four chapters (Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter), and each chapter will take place in a new location and provide a campaign of about 12-15 hours plus some location-specific multiplayer for each season.

This is exactly the kind of thing that fits in really well with Gamepass, and is consistent with what they've been saying about Halo Infinite and how it's going to be an ongoing game. I could defnitely see them approaching something like Perfect Dark and thinking of it as a seven-year project, where they spend four years working up the engine, characters, story, art design, gameplay, etc. to put out the first installment, and then spend the next three years releasing the successive installments.
Yeah, I don't think that seasonal rumour holds weight, MS own recruitment info mentioned AAA game project for The Initiative, as you mentioned it could be something that's been lost in translation.

ginge

Jul 23, 2020
Hope it won't take too long to have a good look at the new Joanna. So far, that trailer and the concept arts above are all from behind. Letting me think her final design might not be finished yet? Or maybe they just like to tease.
Its probably just that they haven't nailed it down 100% yet, plus they have to save somethings for later :)

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AHH, so now Ken Lobb being congratulated by Gallagher makes sense.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Im usually not moved by cgi trailers, but im hyped about this

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
That trailer makes me think the "levels", could be mini open-worlds like Hitman. That would be an excellent model to follow, and I'd love to see a more gadget, slightly more action, more future-tech Perfect Dark game like that. Very cool trailer.

scarybore

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to get excited for a CG trailer but happy none the less to give a new Perfect Dark game a chance, just hope the execution is more akin to the original game than to Zero.

Deleted member 4874

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite gaming experiences was playing Perfect Dark Zero for the first month or so when the 360 was released and experiencing online multiplayer with headsets for the first time. There was a fun camaraderie and everybody talked about how once Christmas comes, all the kids would get on and ruin online chat. (we were right) Having slap fight death matches was such a stupid fun time. I look forward to the new game, but I doubt it'll have the same silliness that one brought. (games aren't silly enough anymore - where has paintball mode gone?!?)

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the alien tech/story makes a return and is expanded on. That was such a central part of the original Perfect Dark, and I was pretty disappointed when it was all removed in Zero.

KillaKap

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it funny how people go out their way to say they don't like Xbox even when giving a compliment. Lmao.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Im usually not moved by cgi trailers, but im hyped about this

I can barely contain myself and haven't been able to focus on the rest of show. This has immediately become my most wanted game and there really isn't any game anyone could have announced, that I want more than this. Sure, I'm desperately hoping for another Banjo, Crackdown or 3D Donkey Kong, but Perfect Dark easily tops them all.

And thank you, The Initiative, for making it first person! It's Perfect Dark after all :)

What's the best game in this franchise?

This, but played on Xbox:

Perfect Dark

From The Initiative comes Perfect Dark, a secret agent thriller set in a near-future world. A re-imagining of one of the best loved IPs in gaming history.

Quellyford

Banned
May 16, 2020
If it's episodic/seasonal like some of those rumours suggested, and it leads to new Hitman style levels/words that you replay over and over finding different ways to complete the mission then this could be really super fucking cool.

The "deliver stories that stand alongside our peers in TV and movies" line from Darrell Gallagher has me very wary though, I don't care if shit is cinematic I want a game that knows it's a game and controls and play well.
I think he just means with regards to storytelling specifically, not in terms of gameplay. I'm sure them taking over the Perfect Dark franchise, they know gameplay is of the utmost importance.

I also love what you're suggesting about episodic content. That sounds incredibly cool!!

Timu

Oct 25, 2017

Perfect Dark

From The Initiative comes Perfect Dark, a secret agent thriller set in a near-future world. A re-imagining of one of the best loved IPs in gaming history.
The first one. The 360 remaster of it specifically.
The HD remaster of Perfect Dark on 360 (also included with Rare Replay).

And TBH I'd say even the N64 version of the original don't feel compelled to search out. 360 version or bust.
Yeah I would recommend it on Xbox 360/Xbox One just for the framerate alone.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
I didn't have the chance to play the previous games, and thus never experimented the revolutionary gameplay of those games. Seeing the passion the fans put on Perfect Dark makes me exited as well for the reboot of the franchise.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I can barely contain myself and haven't been able to focus on the rest of show. This has immediately become my most wanted game and there really isn't any game anyone could have announced, that I want more than this. Sure, I'm desperately hoping for another Banjo, Crackdown or 3D Donkey Kong, but Perfect Dark easily tops them all.

And thank you, The Initiative, for making it first person! It's Perfect Dark after all :)

Perfect Dark

The first one. Perfect Dark. Zero was okay, just felt like the franchise didnt age with the rest of the industry.
The first one. The 360 remaster of it specifically.
PD got a MC of 97 and PDZ got a MC of 80. So the original game for sure.

Zero, and (shudder) the Game Boy Color game you can safely not play. And TBH I'd say even the N64 version of the original don't feel compelled to search out. 360 version or bust.
The original Perfect Dark is one of my favorite games of all time so that one.

Thank you all. I'll check out the original Perfect Dark, I've got a copy of Rare Replay somewhere.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020

Zero, and (shudder) the Game Boy Color game you can safely not play. And TBH I'd say even the N64 version of the original don't feel compelled to search out. 360 version or bust.
I enjoyed Zero back then. I tried to play the original game recently on my One X but I couldn't get into it, it was extremely outdated. Just figuring out what I could interact with was a huge pain, navigating the levels was very confusing.

Sadly, for newcomers, I think these games are too old and aged terribly.