• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
So glad the original rumors were correct! And no problem with keeping it as an fps, the first game still lives in my memory as the most impressive fps of its time (perhaps alongside Halo and HL2)

Telamon

Banned
May 25, 2020
Didn't give me a particularly strong PD vibe, aside from what seemed to be the laptop gun on the wall, the DD logo and Jo herself of course. PD has a more moody atmosphere in my head.

Saying that, I'm happy to have varied environments, as long as most of it's moody. But I'm guessing you'd want your reveal trailer to reflect the feel of the game, so I'm not hopeful.

No judgements yet, glad if others like it.

Mar 8, 2018
Perfect Dark was never going to be third person, because the original games aren't third person. Why would it be third person just to meet some arbitrary threshold?

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never thought we would get another one after all these years. I hope they do it justice. Glad it's an FPS though.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yea what was I thinking. Microsoft has only made 8 of them over the last 2 generations and have been getting heat for over relying on Halo and been nicknamed "the FPS console" for all these years.
Halo is the only FPS Microsoft makes. Maybe Sony should make an FPS than. Or is FPS the only genre that can be "played out"

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Didn't give me a particularly strong PD vibe, aside from what seemed to be the laptop gun on the wall, the DD logo and Jo herself of course. PD has a more moody atmosphere in my head.

Saying that, I'm happy to have varied environments, as long as most of it's moody. But I'm guessing you'd want your reveal trailer to reflect the feel of the game, so I'm not hopeful.

No judgements yet, glad if others like it.
I dunno, that trailer seemed to have a reasonably moody atmosphere. Not overbearingly moody, but I wouldn't say the original game was either.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
So proud of everyone at the Initiative! A lot of friends there and they are super talented. It's in great hands.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
What an underwhelming and completely by the numbers trailer. Marketing departments really lack any originality these days.

Looking forward to a new Perfect Dark game, as I love the original and even enjoy the often shat on Zero. Although, I kinda wish it was a sequel/prequel and not yet another reboot. Just seems like the cool thing to do these days...

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
This is huge, love the atmosphere and Im really excited to see where they will take the franchise. Guess its still 2-3 years away?

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
It's not just the trailer that's causing hype. It's that one of Microsoft's biggest 1st party studios has finally announced their secret AAA project, and it's a reboot of one of the most beloved, classic games of all time.

It's not hard to understand why people would be hyped if you aren't a miserable cynic.
No cynic here. Just responding to the person's post as to why they used a CG trailer to announce the game.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Perfect Dark probably makes sense as a fps. Since Halo has such a unique feel, and Gears is already a best in class 3rd person shooter.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
What an underwhelming and completely by the numbers trailer. Marketing departments really lack any originality these days.

Looking forward to a new Perfect Dark game, as I love the original and even enjoy the often shat on Zero. Although, I kinda wish it was a sequel/prequel and not yet another reboot. Just seems like the cool thing to do these days...
Reboot's absolutely the right way to go. Many people's reaction to this trailer has been "Neat, what's Perfect Dark?"

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
From the Devleoper Interview it sounds like it could be like Mirrors Edge in terms of gameplay. Not really a bad thing.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
Pretty cool! Do we have any idea on what sort of game it will be?

I'm picturing an Uncharted/Tomb-Raider style adventure but in a futuristic setting.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
I'm curious to see what they do with it. In the developer trailer they mention that they are really trying to push movement in a first person game and specifically mention go-pro footage. Sounds like it may end up in a similar style to Dying Light or Mirror's Edge. Will be interesting to see how that plays with the gadgets etc.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
Yea what was I thinking. Microsoft has only made 8 of them over the last 2 generations and have been getting heat for over relying on Halo and been nicknamed "the FPS console" for all these years.

They have released one, one FPS during the Xbox one gen and it was Halo 5 (unless I'm mistaken) What direction would you like them to take?

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Damn !

Look like it will be a mix of Mirrors Edge & unique First Person experiences with deep narrative/cinematic aspect.

I'm in !

rude

Oct 25, 2017
First Microsoft IP I've been interested in since the 360. FPS? I thought the rumors were TPS.