• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 8, 2017
According to Turn 10, Forza Motorsport is still in early development. So is Hellblade 2, despite the fact they've been working on it for like 3 years.

I imagine when people say "blah is still early" in public what they actually mean is "don't expect to see this soon" not that it necessarily is only 1/4 of the way through.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
This isn't going to play anything like the original Perfect Dark, is it
I hope not. I really liked Perfect Dark on n64 but the gameplay does not really hold up having played it recently on xbox. What's still fun are the gadgets, alternate mode for the weapons etc. Those can be brought back with a different gameplay loop. The core gameplayo of the original is very basic.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Yes, and so are a lot of other games. But the difference is, FM and Hellblade 2 aren't being developed by a new studio that's never made a single game. It's unrealistic to assume that The Initiative would be as efficient as studios that have been making games for years.

Don't get me wrong: I think this is good news for Perfect Dark, but it's ridiculous to say that Crystal Dynamics are just a support studio that will be doing only the grunt work and the Initiative already has the design and mechanics nailed. Crystal Dynamics are not that kind of studio at all. Clearly the Initiative needs help. And there's no shame in it: they're a small, young studio for an AAA game.

We'll chalk it up to a difference in perspective. I see a team filled with experienced industry veterans (majority of which are designers) leveraging outside manpower to finish a game (as planned from day 1). You see a studio in need of help.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
That is not a fine estimate. That number is just how many people with a linkedin profile that actually reported they worked at the Initiative. That is why you are seeing the number 70.
I know how LinkedIn works. If you are going to say that The Initiative is way bigger than 70 people feel free to bring a source.

Majority of the employees will have a LinkedIn that's updated.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I just really don't get why these games get announced so early.
Sometimes games are announced early to hire developers faster.
People who think this is concerning for the game I don't agree with, but I do think it says a lot about SE-Europe's confidence in the team
Could be and maybe SE really wants to sell CD. Another possibility imo is that they just had free ressources, because nothing is in full production and wanted to have all their developers occupied.

Nov 8, 2017
So does this mean Crystal Dynamics is also developing a new Tomb Raider game?

Likely yes. They've opened 2 satellite studios (Washington state and Texas) and probably have 300-400 total staff, so they're likely finishing up support for Avengers with some of the studio, working on PD with another chunk, and then doing preliminary work on Tomb Raider with the remainder.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
We'll chalk it up to a difference in perspective. I see a team filled with experienced industry veterans (majority of which are designers) leveraging outside manpower to finish a game (as planned from day 1). You see a studio in need of help.
The difference is, they're not leveraging outside manpower to finish the game--they're partnering with a third party game studio that'll also be credited as a developer of the game. You can't possibly think that was the plan from Day 1. Crystal Dynamics is not a support studio. Support studios don't get credited as developers outside of being mentioned in the credits.

Putting together an efficient team takes more than throwing together a bunch of veterans.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
The difference is, they're not leveraging outside manpower to finish the game--they're partnering with a third party game studio that'll also be credited as a developer of the game. You can't possibly think that was the plan from Day 1. Crystal Dynamics is not a support studio. Support studios don't get credited as developers outside of being mentioned in the credits.

Putting together an efficient team takes more than throwing together a bunch of veterans.

You spend enough time in the XGS thread to know that heavy outsourcing was always the plan for The Initiative.

Elog

Oct 21, 2020
Didn't Sony do this with From for Bloodborne? Didn't Nintendo do this with Monolith helping with BoTW? Why does this instance standout so much?

IIRC, Star Fox had a partner right?

Big difference in my opinion.

MS started the Initiative with quite a lot of fanfare as a new first party studio - built from the ground up with really strong talent and budget. Now that studio is partnering with Square Enix to develop their first game. So who is exactly doing what here?

With Sony and Bloodborne, the game was developed by From with some project management and technical support from Japan Studio. It was very clear that all the creative development - the actual game - was developed by From.

Given how the Initiative was pitched as a new first party flagship studio, this announcement is a little surprising and slightly odd to me..

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Sony and Nintendo are publisher of those games. It is wild for a 1st party studio to pull in a big 3rd party studio. Normally other internal studio would be pulled for support not a 3rd outside studio. Also yes it is common for development studio to outsource their work to other studios but not to another studio that make big full fledge games before. That is why the news is wild. Please take note, I said wild and not bad.

It's not that uncommon. Bandai Namco co-develops Smash Bros games and Creative Assembly (SEGA-owned) worked on Halo Wars 2. A 3rd party developer is also assisting on God of War: Ragnarok.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

MS started the Initiative with quite a lot of fanfare as a new first party studio - built from the ground up with really strong talent and budget. Now that studio is partnering with Square Enix to develop their first game. So who is exactly doing what here?

With Sony and Bloodborne, the game was developed by From with some project management and technical support from Japan Studio. It was very clear that all the creative development - the actual game - was developed by From.

Given how the Initiative was pitched as a new first party flagship studio, this announcement is a little surprising and slightly odd to me..
Take a look at Super Mario RPG; published by Square and Nintendo. I guess I'm not as surprised as some because this has been a thing for a long time. I would think an established studio wouldn't need as much help but that's just me.

Last edited:

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
Sony and Nintendo are publisher of those games. It is wild for a 1st party studio to pull in a big 3rd party studio. Normally other internal studio would be pulled for support not a 3rd outside studio. Also yes it is common for development studio to outsource their work to other studios but not to another studio that make big full fledge games before. That is why the news is wild. Please take note, I said wild and not bad.
didn't intelligent systems outsouce most of fire emblem three houses to koei tecmo's romance of the three kingdoms team?
metroid samsus returns had a core team from nintendo as well working on it in addition to mercurysteam.

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
I can't wait to see this game. I just hope the recent comparisons to John Wick are true because being able to create action scenes on that level in a game would be amazing and it's the perfect direction to take this game to another level.

CorvoAttano

Oct 11, 2020
That statement was from two years ago when the studio was in preproduction. They have hired more employees.

They have hired more employees. I have a software background and know a person who works as a producer at 343 industries. It is fine if you don't believe me because I have networked with other people in college that has software engineering roles at Microsoft Redmond campus and other campus. I am also a long term investor of MSFT and do attend the IR day and quarterly reports. Linkedin is a subsidary of Microsoft in case if anybody doesn't know that. Microsoft is also considered a unicorn company for software engineers.

I don't know what you having a software background or having a friend working at Microsoft or holding Microsoft stock or attending investor calls have anything to do with this. But in any case, I do happen to be an engineer at Microsoft (nothing to do with Xbox) but I can definitely say that there is no way anyone in the engineering offices at Microsoft (even the ones in the Xbox platform team) has any knowledge of what The Initiative's exact situation is unless they are directly working on the game with them. Or they know Phil and like to have a drink with him from time to time. Also, Linkedin being a subsidiary of Microsoft should tell you that Microsoft encourages their employees to make Linkedin accounts and that much is true so Microsoft's numbers are bound to be closer than most.

Also, these are the employee counts for the following dev studios on Linkedin:
  • 343 Industries - 570 Employees
  • Guerilla - 414 employees
  • Playground Games - 320 employees
  • Santa Monica Studio - 400 Employees
  • Rockstar Games - 4245 employees
  • Rare Ltd - 267 employees
  • Ninja Theory - 132 employees
Do you honestly believe that each of these studios are much bigger than then numbers quoted here? These numbers all sound in line with expectation and other quotes available elsewhere. Maybe there is a 10% error rate but not much more than that.

Therefore, I conclude that The Initiative is not bigger than 85 employees with 99% confidence.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I can't wait to see this game. I just hope the recent comparisons to John Wick are true because being able to create action scenes on that level in a game would be amazing and it's the perfect direction to take this game to another level.
Most rumors are an immersive sim closer to Deus Ex ? Where is this John Wick rumor? Just curious, would be interested in reading it.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Uhmm.... because they did such a great job with rebooting Lara Croft??? *cough*not really**

So.. what daddy issues will be plaguing... *checks google* ...Joanna Dark from game#1 all the way to game#3? And how will she be "becoming Perfect Dark" even at game# 3?

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Wow. That is not great news. What does that say about The Initiative if they need to partner up with Crystal Dynamics? Aren't they supposed to be a premier studio?
Most studios outsource nowadays. Ironically enough especially the "premier studios".
Every big project uses support studios. Watch end credits for a COD or AssCreed. "In total, The Last of Us Part 2's production process involved 2,332 people, including 2,169 developers and 163 given thanks...[and] 12 other studios." Game Rant People have been citing the Initiative as a team of 80
I knew ND use outsourcing and that more studios worked on the game. But over 2000? Insane. Thanks for the info.

On another hand, why is it the "core" Xbox titles seem like they struggle in house? Is it tight development schedules and over ambitious scope?
Which studio with the exception of 343 seems to struggle?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The reactions aren't because the company is making a game for microsoft, it's because they're being onboarded several years into development and acting in a subordinate role to an internal Microsoft studio who is leading the project. That's what's unusual about it. Nobody calls it odd when, for example, Relic is making AOE2 for Microsoft, because that's much more normal.
That's normal though. In preproduction The Last of Us Part 2 didn't have those 2100 devs. Those came on board via outsourcing studios somewhere in full production.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
No, but they also have a lot of internal support.

With XGS being so big now (not even counting Bethesda) the teams would benefit from it.
Xbox studios share tech similar to other publishers studios. For example the water tech in FH came from Rare. And currently TC is helping with Halo.

Deleted member 68874

Banned
May 10, 2020
You telling me all your colleagues that you worked with in the past and present, have a Linkedin account and one that is also updated too? When was the last time you were logged on?
I work in marketing and sales. I'm on LinkedIn everyday for my job lol.

My current company is like 10 people off our current LinkedIn headcount.

Honestly I dont care about the amount of people at The Initiative, I'm just tired of the AAAA hot takes being used for console wearing.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like a case where the vertical slice wasn't meeting expectations so they're bringing in a more experienced team to handle the gameplay aspects. Good news for the game, but it's probably a reset of the development. Maybe a similar situation to some Japanese projects like Metal Gear Revengeance?

That would sound better to me if they were just touching the gameplay aspects.

Because my first impression was "we brought in CD because they make games with a female protagonist", lol.

IIRC Square enix sought help from the devs of Just Cause for their streaming engine, so it's no big deal seeking help from another studio. (as long as it doesn't make the game worse)

Oct 28, 2017
CD huh. If they're brought on solely for the production pipeline it would make a lot of sense. They know production values. Hope they're not brought in to support conceptually or creatively though.

Nest19

Feb 17, 2021

You're wrong as stated multiple times and being a famous trivia, the original idea for Bloodborne came from Japan studios and they did have creative output.

Deleted member 68874

Banned
May 10, 2020
Okay, you got me. I am only on Linkedin when looking for a job. Most of my colleague and my manager are not on Linkedin and if there are they haven't updated their profiles in years.

I wasn't trying to start a fight by the way. I apologies if it came off that way. I was only focusing from my side.
It's all good lol.

In my experience some industries will have way higher numbers signed up for LinkedIn than others.

I hate LinkedIn so if I could I definitely wouldnt use it haha.

T.I (uh oh)

Oct 29, 2017
Uhmm.... because they did such a great job with rebooting Lara Croft??? *cough*not really**

So.. what daddy issues will be plaguing... *checks google* ...Joanna Dark from game#1 all the way to game#3? And how will she be "becoming Perfect Dark" even at game# 3?

Joanna Dark already has daddy issues fromn before Crystal Dynamics coming on board. And the backstory of her becoming Perfect Dark has also already been told.

For someone who apparently *checked google* you really didn't learn anything. Must have been in too much of a hurry to drop your hot take...

Oct 30, 2017
User Warned: Concern Trolling
What world are we living in? This is throwing in the towel and yet we still. Come on folks. This is the nice way to kill something. It's embarrassing to pretend otherwise.

PMA

Alt account / Attempted to circumvent ban with alt
Banned
Sep 13, 2021
I'm a huge Perfect Dark fan. The trajectory of this worries me though. Hopefully it comes out well, but we have a studio formed almost 4 years ago now, a creative lead who has left the project, and we have a CGI trailer with no gameplay, and now they need to lean on another studio before we've even seen a frame of gameplay.

I hope all of this is just a coincidence or something they have to get through but it does worry me. The Joanna character is really important to me. I loved the N64 classic... I was lukewarm on PD Zero. I want a good new entry!

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Joanna Dark already has daddy issues fromn before Crystal Dynamics coming on board. And the backstory of her becoming Perfect Dark has also already been told.

For someone who apparently *checked google* you really didn't learn anything. Must have been in too much of a hurry to drop your hot take...

It's just a jab at CD, but I'm surprised those two story elements actually relate to Perfect Dark. It's not a hot take, time and again the same criticisms have been levelled at the Tomb Raider trilogy by many posters, not only myself.

You're exactly right, I just checked google for the name of the main character. Why would I need to "study up" on a game that's years away and I might or might not be interested in buying, depending on its trailer?

Sorry I made you so mad about your game.