• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to have to rebuy the same game several times over in a single generation, though.

Schnee

Oct 25, 2017
If they were to actually make it an add-on for people who have the original game then sure.
But that's not gonna be the case as history has shown.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
260px-Pok%C3%A9mon_Cristallo_copertina.png

!!e!UHJgEWM~$(KGrHqV,!g8E0fWQq1!mBNP25q6SkQ~~_1.JPG

!!e!VbvgBGM~$(KGrHqV,!hsE0GBkN-jPBNP4g!Etq!~~_1.JPG

black-2-white-2-full-gb.png

ultracovers.png

Not really a new concept.
Thank you. Thread backfire confirmed.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Stepping away from a game, acknowledging it can be more, developing a new title to sell at full price, not simple DLC, adding new mechanical, characters and narrative elements is a great middle area between a remaster and a remake.

I think there is a lot of potential in this idea of "remodelled" editions of games.
Nah, this is a lame approach outside of when the new release is able to be purchased for a steep discount by owners of the initial release. Atlus will 100% not be doing that and instead hoping to force fans of the series to pay full price for a small amount of content when compared to the overall package.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, in the sense that devs get more money for forcing people to buy the same things multiple times? sure.

As a consumer it's shitty as fuck.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I didn't follow the announcement super closely.
Can you upgrade the base game to the R version by paying 20 bucks or something?
Because if not, fuck this.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Disagree. I would argue that making your existing fans pay full price again to receive improvements to a game they already paid for is absurd, and extremely outdated in this digital age. Keep improving and adding to the game people bought already instead. It's not 1995 anymore.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Disagreeing on the part where they sell it at full price.

We've seen tons of games make huge QoL improvements without charging a dime. You don't need a full rerelease to add an improved menu

KRBM

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Disagree. The industry should instead milk their games by porting them to Switch.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
I disagree. I don't mind updated versions, but they should make it possible for owners of the original game to update it through Add-on DLC or get a reduced price on the re-release (only really possible with a digital purchase of both of course).

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I find the idea of a developer comprehensively refreshing their game to be pretty exciting. Less so when a company repeatedly bonks you over the head with them like Street Fighter 2/3, but if a developer basically takes everything they learned after launching a game and adds to and/or refines it to the best of their ability in a package that feels fresh, I'm all for it.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I agree, I think Sega should go back to the Saturn era and make them right.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Stepping away from a game, acknowledging it can be more, developing a new title to sell at full price, not simple DLC, adding new mechanical, characters and narrative elements is a great middle area between a remaster and a remake.

I think there is a lot of potential in this idea of "remodelled" editions of games.
People have been bitching about Pokémon doing it, complaining that it wasn't DLC when Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon changed a lot.

Saikar

Nov 3, 2017
It's not really the same game. It's like asking what the market was for Pokemon Lets Go when it was just the Kanto journey again with some different content and mechanics.
I mean. I did ask that exact question regarding Let's Go, and I guess my answer is "People that want more Pokemon and don't really care what it is" because it sure somehow managed to sell 10 million.

I'm not saying they don't sell. I just don't really understand why they do. I would have been cool with Let's Go but I was done with Kanto's base story in the 90's.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

While I'm open to it, you've got to be very careful to avoid the perception of it being the "You bought the wrong version!" version. I remember getting quite grumpy about TLOU Remastered for that reason (and that didn't even have significant additional content!)

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
If they charge full price I prefer the studios selling it as DLC instead of paying 60 bucks for a game that I've already played.

DrainedSpirit

Mar 25, 2019
Like Square Enix has done for generations. Nothing new or Atlus-exclusive about this method, seems very popular amongst JP-devs and publishers. Also makes me hesitant to buy JRPG's at launch because they most likely will have an "Ultimate"-version in a few months or a year and there is plenty to pick from from the backlog anyways.

Nov 18, 2017
I guess, but I'm not buying any "remodeled" editions of 100+ hour games
Yeah, i never had a problem picking up Super or Ultimate editions of fighting games. Outright prefer it to the current Season Pass model where everything is sold piece meal at a premium.

but a 100+ hour jrpg, no thank you. If it were DLC however i'd probably pick it up but the nature of this update requires a fresh start & thats just not something im willing to do.

Oct 30, 2017
Games need a director's cut making them tighter and cutting out the fluff, not the opposite, if anything. Persona 5 being arguably the biggest contender.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
This both isn't new (Japan's been doing it FOREVER) and it's not even new for Persona (Fes, Portable, Golden)?

Actually adding this stuff as later DLC + a combined rerelease is seen as the more progressive and consumer friendly model. Look at Monster Hunter's shift from G versions to Iceborne.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
I still can't believe how many people replay rpgs in these forums. Sometimes even multiple of 5 or 10 times.

I won't replay games like that 97% of the time, no matter how much I loved it before! I replayed Chrono Trigger on DS and that's probably it - and it wasn't the same.
Radiant Historia is one of my all time DS games, but god deliver me from playing the 3DS remaster.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I mean. I did ask that exact question regarding Let's Go, and I guess my answer is "People that want more Pokemon and don't really care what it is" because it sure somehow managed to sell 10 million.

I'm not saying they don't sell. I just don't really understand why they do. I would have been cool with Let's Go but I was done with Kanto's base story in the 90's.
I think if you truly love a game then the idea of playing through the journey again but with different parameters and some extra content is really exciting. It's what the rom hacking community is based on for example, shuffling up beloved games that play the same but different so it's fresh but also familiar and enjoyable.
It's maybe for those that liked rather than loved Persona 5 or Pokemon R/B where replaying or the cost involved becomes more of an issue.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
MonHun's been doing it for years, and now they've moved on to actual DLC scheme for MHW.
At the very least with MonHun, you could move your save data over so you can just start with the new contents.
Will P5R let you do that?

Dec 1, 2017
I just wonder who these things are for. Fans of the series probably won't want to play the same game over, especially a long game, just for a few features and given that they have to buy it again at full price.Non-fans aren't going to suddenly become interested in the tweaks.

I guess there must be a substantial suckers market for people that buy the same game multiple times or devs wouldn't do this. Personally, even with things I liked, I've never been tempted.
Oh don't worry about the audience, people reread all chapters of One Piece, replay The Witcher 3, Baldur's Gate 2, rewatch Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and replay Persona 4/The Golden (I might do one myself).

But yeah Persona 5? That game needs to be streamlined or else 0.5% people will reach the credits.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Why people need to pay again full price for a game they already bought, and most likely, finished? I can accept Persona 4 Golden or Portable since they were developed for a different system, but not this. Especially since we have DLCs, and Atlus decided to use them to sell costumes and music instead of adding new features to the game.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I think more industry could benefit from more games getting The Lost Levels treatment.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
How is this good thing? I mean yeah new content is nice, but what is the benefit of selling it with a full new release price?

You could sell this as an expansion like XCOM.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sure they can do this. Can they also release the improved and additional content as updates and dlc for existing owners? Or should everyone who bought the first product always be screwed over for funding the updated version?

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather it just be an expansion for the people who bought the first game. I don't exactly like the idea of having to rebuy a game I already own.

I'm absolutely willing to fork over more money for an improved version of a game, but unless it's not technically feasible it seems like it's a bit of a cash grab.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
As much as I like playing the Persona rereleases, most games aren't good enough to warrant multiple playthroughs to experience a fraction of new content.

The only games that would fit are From Software games.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to say I'm glad Capcom and Monster Hunter series already moved on from this model. Was really worried that you need to pay full price for Monster Hunter World Ultimate just to access Iceborne.

Also P5 Royal not being Expansion/DLC (though not sure how feasoble this is) means an easy skip for me.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
You mean, selling a do-over three years later?

You'd probably get a lot of people holding off buying the original game if they knew a standalone improvement was inevitable though. You already see this today in the form of, "Nah, I'll wait for the third version of this Pokemon entry", or "Nah, I'll wait for Super Street Fighter #". Or even just, "Nah, I'll wait for the GOTY Edition."