• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
We got all sorts of hot takes in a hot take thread. All kinds. Medium, Scolding, hot pocket scorch! Every kind of hot take on mario games right here.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario World + Yoshi's Island >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NSMBU Deluxe

Though as far as the premise of the thread, lol.
Baby Mario alone makes this wrong.

And NSMBU Deluxe has the best level design of any 2D mario game and the best Bowser Castle music (which is similar to the Wii version)

The game got too much hate for coming out "too close" to NSMBWii when the gap was longer than between SMB3 and SMW

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As if buying/playing SMW1+2 would make NSMBW DX a worse game.
Just say you weren't really interested in the first place and let it be.

And regards Xenoblade:
DUUUUUH of course play the first one, since the second one has actually story connections.
Doesn't mean you wouldn't ever play the 2nd one

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
yeah we've hit the hot takes part of the thread.

That one's been broiling for almost 30 years.

I bought NSMBU at launch for Wii U and(stupidly) rebought it for Switch in January. Is the game similar to 3D World in that the later levels are MUCH more challenging/fun than the early ones? I've gotten to the 2nd or 3rd world both times before I became bored out of my skull and dropped it. Is it worth jumping straight to NSLU content if I'm bored by the game?

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
NSMBU is amazing. So are Yoshi's Island and Super Mario World. I love 2D Mario and can't get enough!!!

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
That's like saying "I can play SM64 so I don't care about any other 3d Mario game"

PS: NSMBU is not ony a great game, it's the best 2D Mario game I've played, and I grew up playing SMB3 on NES.

Oct 25, 2017
SMB 1–3 are also better than U, and those have been available on NSO for quite a while. If you're a Mario fan though, U is definitely worth playing at some point. In fact, it's the only game from the NSMB series I can genuinely recommend.

Yoshi's Island is still the cream of the crop when it comes to 2D Mario though, with World in a close second. I too am thrilled that we're finally getting them on Switch!

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
No joke, Yoshi's Island is amazing.
I played it for the first time in my life on the SNES Classic and I was gobsmacked. Game is legit one of the best games I played in my life, it holds very well even in 2019 and it's better than most platformers that exist today.
Certainly leagues better than New SMB U, that's for sure.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
NSMBUDX is amazing and packed full of content. It's also nothing like Yoshi's Island.

I genuinely think it's one of the best Mario games. And New Super Luigi U is awesome and different (and hard!).

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
That's honestly your loss. NSMBU is as good as the old classic Mario 2D platformers, and it's never good to just live in the past.

Oct 27, 2017
Yoshi's Island is still the cream of the crop when it comes to 2D Mario though, with World in a close second. I too am thrilled that we're finally getting them on Switch!
Yoshi's Island is certainly a good 2D game, but I don't really even consider it a Mario game—at least not in a gameplay sense (and yes, I am aware it has "Super Mario World 2" as a subtitle).YI plays so much differently that it spawned its own series, and nobody really considers those "Mario" games.

When all is said and done, if you are actually a fan of 2D Mario games, the NSMBU DX is a must have, and if anything were to make it irrelevant it would be Mario Maker 2, definitely not two games that most of us have played dozens of times at least.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
So you just don't want to pay for games?

I don't understand what NSMB and Super Mario World 1 & 2 have to do with each other.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean you do you but that is some faulty logic right there.

Yoshi's Island doesn't even play like the other 2D Mario games.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Funny you should say that because I have Mario Oddysey and don't like it, yet I've been eyeing NSMBU for quite some time now because it looks like a much more fun platformer for me.

Speaking of, does anyone know when I should wait to buy Switch games? Is a major sale coming up soon? Or is the next one around the winter?

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Is "as good", but with 3x the price.

This is the case with quite a few games. Personally I enjoy trying new things on occasion, and don't feel bad about paying for them either.

Funny you should say that because I have Mario Oddysey and don't like it, yet I've been eyeing NSMBU for quite some time now because it looks like a much more fun platformer for me.

It's a much better platformer. With Odyssey it basically comes down to whether you prefer exploration to platforming. I like platforming more too.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
NSMBU is an amazing game that gets overlooked a lot because NSMB2 released way too close to it.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
The people who like the Super Mario Worlds over the NSMB series are looking for totally different things from their 2D platformers and that's totally fine. I definitely fall into the World camp, never did like the NSMB games. Far too twitchy

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
The gap between NSMBU and its immediate predecessor, NSMB2, was 4 months
NSMB2 was a 3DS game made by people who had never worked on a Mario game before; NSMBU was made by series veterans. The gap in quality between it and NSMBU is astronomical. You might as well count Super Mario Land coming out 6 months before SMB3 in the US, then.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I want to get NSMBU DX but the music kills any hype for me. It really grates my ears >_<. Never could enjoy the music from the New series.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
NSMB2 was a 3DS game made by people who had never worked on a Mario game before; NSMBU was made by series veterans. The gap in quality between it and NSMBU is astronomical. You might as well count Super Mario Land coming out 6 months before SMB3 in the US, then.

Everyone I've seen cite NSMB burnout as a factor for NSMBU and/or Wii U's relative failure did so in the context of NSMB2 being a recent release at the time. The quality gap (however much that or little that may be) isn't a meaningful factor. And even if it were, times change, especially when those periods are 30 years apart

Last edited: