• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Vert1

Vert1

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Map rotation killed it for me. My understanding is Splatoon 2 has an extra map in rotation? Ehhh, that won't cut it for ne. Online in general felt super restricted.

I certainly agree that it's a very unique and well conceived game in general. It's surprising how much they were able to innovate (successfully!) on their first attempt.
Splatoon [Wii U] and Splatoon 2 [SW] both do the 2 maps per rotation (excluding Splat Fests). The big difference in the sequel is that maps change every 2 hours while in Splatoon it was every 4 hours.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I want Splatoon 2. Played a bit of 1 and enjoyed it
I'm more of a single player kind of person. Is Splatoon 2 worth it?
If you get the DLC, maybe. Otherwise, absolutely not.
Splatoon 2's base singleplayer is just more splatoon 1's single player, I understand it didnt blow the house down and upped the ante but saying "absolutely not" when he said he enjoyed the 1st one??? Theres got to be some perspective here

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Splatoon is to Wii U what Halo was to XBOX.

The Wii U not having a Halo-style killer app aside, Super Mario Maker generated a lot more buzz than Splatoon, at least outside of Japan.

Also, I played the demo on Wii U - it didn't click for me. Painting the ground got old quickly.

Splatoon 2's Salmon Run does look fun, though.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Response to all the responses to the opening line on XBOX:
Greatest Ever BizzyBum Jaded Alyx Error 52
Let me start off by writing that I played Halo at launch AND with people online via xLink. Yes, Splatoon launched towards the end of the console while Halo was as a launch game, and yes Halo also had a ton of copycats in the FPS genre afterwards. I understand all this. I was there. My statement on the importance to the console, the game it is defined by, can be attributed to both games. I consider Splatoon the gamebreaker that changed everything for the Wii U. Splatoonmania definitely hit Japan. Influence-wise, it's much harder for third parties to replicate "color play" mechanics than limiting weapon slots to two weapons, having outdoor environments, and having vehicles in an FPS game (there may also be copyright stuff going on ala Simpon's Road Rage vs Crazy Taxi case). Splatoon's uniqueness hasn't been copied or diluted, which helps maintain the impact of impressiveness the original game has to offer.

Response to all the responses on why bother with Splatoon when Splatoon 2 exists:
Cheebo
Because the stage selection, specials, and tone of the original game are different and more enjoyable to me, and as such I'd strongly recommend people experience the original. Splatoon 2 is more "in your face" while Splatoon is more laidback. My goal isn't to tell people not to play Splatoon 2, but to express how good I think the original is and how it hasn't been replaced. I'm interested in reading opinions on players who went from Splatoon 2 to Splatoon. I switch from playing Splatoon and Splatoon 2 constantly, and I want people to play the first before the online server disappears.

Definitely.
The Wii U before Splatoon was a massive bomb of a console. The Wii U after Splatoon was...a massive bomb of a console. It's like, the sixth best selling game on the console, whereas Halo 1 is the third best selling and beaten only by Splinter Cell (?!) and Halo 2.

And sorry nobody's gonna buy a whole new console for one dying game that's got a by and large better sequel because the maps are slightly better.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I miss from Splat 1 is the music, at this point I prefer everything in 2, warts and all. The maps in Splat 2 are safer but stronger overall with no absolute garbage maps like Saltspray and Hammerhead (I think you're the first person I've ever seen compliment Saltspray!) and I can't agree about the specials at all, which are way too strong and less nuanced in Splat 1 (except for Echolocator which is still sorely missing from 2's meta).

cmdiego

Oct 25, 2017
I think there is truth that Splatoon as a franchise is important to Nintendo, and I think part of an identity for it's players. While I did enjoy my thousand of hours playing Splatoon, and so far near thousand of Splatoon 2, I am not sure if the context of the first is needed. Everyone should just play Splatoon 2 with it's overall improvements.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Splatoon 2's base singleplayer is just more splatoon 1's single player, I understand it didnt blow the house down and upped the ante but saying "absolutely not" when he said he enjoyed the 1st one??? Theres got to be some perspective here

Splatoon 2 story mode was pretty weak because the freshness wore off. It was pretty fun in the U game because it was all new, it was a soulless 'cash grab' kind of campaign until the DLC anyways. The rest of the game was ace though. As someone who also enjoyed Splatoon 1 campaign I felt a lot of difficulty in getting through the sequels. I suppose if it's your first experience it would be fine.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I still pop in Splatoon from time to time, and I'd say I probably play it more than my Switch copy of Splatoon 2.

Thankfully cheaters haven't been too rampant yet.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Xbox halo sales 5.5 million
Splatoon wii u 4.94 million

Same ballpark, once you get past the first few million most people focus on numbers like this

while not being neck and neck to say the sales are the same, if you look at the number of hardware units sold and the impact the game had for the system I think the point is valid

Although Halo 1s campaign was worthwhile compared to the barebones Splatoon 1 player mode

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Only thing better about Splatoon 1 is the plaza. Besides playing with a pro controller is much better than using that cumbersome gamepad lol

julian

Oct 27, 2017

I read that sentence as they tried the game and liked what they tried - not, they played the single player campaign and were satisfied. So we're just reading it differently. Also, I liked the first campaign more so if they did play it all I wouldn't tell somebody that 2 is worth it just for the campaign.

Back on topic, another thing missing from 2 is the Miiverse integration. Seeing the levels change whenever news hit was always cool. Playing the weekend Iwata died was a truly bittersweet moment. Everybody having fun surrounded by tributes of Iwata all over the maps. I know people can still make posts, but it doesn't feel at all the same.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I played Splatoon 1 for 2 years..it was sooo fucking good

I loved the bubbler and miss it soon much :(

Got Splatoon 2 last year and it ...just isn't the same without it. Something just feeels soooo off about 2 compared to 1 where it was just so highly addicting. I stopped playing 2 after 3 months ._.

And recently my Wii U gamepad died so yeah rip Splatoon 1 T_T

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Probably the same bubble that acts like Federation Force is the best FPS game ever: the kind that has never played anything that isn't Nintendo.

Seriously, Halo was an instant, game changing smash hit that completely changed the entire FPS genre overnight and turned Xbox from a curiousity that was dismissed as having any real chance of breaking through into instantly one of the "Big Three" and one of the biggest brand names in the entire medium.

Splatoon was a fun, quirky TPS that was released on a dying console that continued to die, and did reasonably well when its sequel came out for a console people were already buying.

Comparing Splatoon to Halo is actually quite apt as long as you're talking about Japan. Splatoon 2 was the 4th best-selling game of 2018 in Japan, only outsold by Smash Bros., PokƩmon Let's Go, and Monster Hunter World and Splatoon 2 isn't even a 2018 game! In a genre that generally hasn't sold very well in Japan, Splatoon and its sequel came in and took over completely.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really?online runs extremely well for me, maybe once every 10 hours I get booted out of a game. Not great but not a deal breaker, and I play on WiFi. Are u American?
I would reccomend you reading this up https://oatmealdome.me/blog/splatoon-2s-netcode-an-in-depth-look
Also there is an entire twitter Account posting laggy opponents, broken lobbies and whatnot. Besides the fact that you still
can't team up in a lobby with friends or play in pre-made teams Turf War outside of league.

And that someone on WiFi wouldn't notice the lag, lag that you clearly have compared to someone on ethernet, I'm not surprised by that anymore.

Dec 18, 2018
I would reccomend you reading this up https://oatmealdome.me/blog/splatoon-2s-netcode-an-in-depth-look
Also there is an entire twitter Account posting laggy opponents, broken lobbies and whatnot. Besides the fact that you still
can't team up in a lobby with friends or play in pre-made teams Turf War outside of league.

And that someone on WiFi wouldn't notice the lag, lag that you clearly have compared to someone on ethernet, I'm not surprised by that anymore.
I tried Ethernet for 1 week, didn't notice a different. Same thing with smash ultimate online most of the time it runs beautifully, sometimes there is lag.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I couldn't read much further after seeing you equate a niche game as indicative of what Halo did to xbox- Halo was more than just a gaming phenomenon, it was a cultural phenomenon. Not even close to being in the same realm of reality. Splatoon may have been a hit in Japan, but it certainly wasn't that influential anywhere else.

Comparing Splatoon to Halo is actually quite apt as long as you're talking about Japan. Splatoon 2 was the 4th best-selling game of 2018 in Japan, only outsold by Smash Bros., PokƩmon Let's Go, and Monster Hunter World and Splatoon 2 isn't even a 2018 game! In a genre that generally hasn't sold very well in Japan, Splatoon and its sequel came in and took over completely.
Except Halo's popularity was far larger than just a single country, including sales' wise. Its really strange seeing people say this is equivalent to what Halo did to the xbox but only if you look at it in this one market and ignore the monumental success Halo had virtually everywhere. Like it we wanted to qualify any condition to meet a statement like that we could say something as equally as wrong about virtually any semi popular game.

Like on twitch the MCC has double the viewers as splatoon 2 does, and Halo's popularity has waned significantly since its height.

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Even Splatoon 1 sold more in US than in Japan. Splatoon 2, even moreso.
How did its sales do relative to everything else? WHich is what that poster mentioned-it selling the 4th best out of every game in Japan. Lets look at where it stood in other markets besides just Japan. Because halo didn't need to be mitigated to a single country to present its dominance in the sales department.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
WHich is what that poster mentioned-it selling the 4th best out of every game in Japan. Lets look at where it stood in other markets besides just Japan.
It sold 5 millions worldwide of which less than third (1.602.993) was sold in Japan. Imagining the rest is split evenly between Europe and US -- you will get to conclusion that:
Splatoon 1 sold more in US than in Japan. Splatoon 2, even moreso.

Because halo didn't need to be mitigated to a single country to present its dominance in the sales department.
Halo is literally defined by how it's sales are mostly in one region.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It sold 5 millions worldwide of which less than third (1.602.993) was sold in Japan. Imagining the rest is split evenly between Europe and US -- you will get to conclusion that:

Halo is literally defined by how it's sales are mostly in one region.
Again youre ignoring the context of the post which I was responding to. How did splatoon do, sales wise, relative to other games in other regions? The post in question specifically brought up how it sold in Japan vs all other games. It very well might have sold more in the US than in Japan, where did it place in overall sales compared to other games in the US?

EDIT:

Here they are

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2018/01/19/the-best-selling-video-games-of-2017/#23a36dd36226

1. Call of Duty: WWII
  2. NBA 2K18
  3. Destiny 2^
  4. Madden NFL 18
  5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild**
  6. Grand Theft Auto V
  7. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands
  8. Star Wars: Battlefront II 2017^
  9. Super Mario Odyssey**
  10. Mario Kart 8**

Not even top 10.

And even then you still wouldn't be on par with Halo's numbers. Theres no reality in which splatoon as a franchise is competing with Halo in sales, even more so when you factor in how influential Halo was compared to splatoon (or how Halo basically made an entire console a competitor today whereas splatoon did nothing to mitigate the dying numbers of the wii u). We can be happy splatoon is successful without making bold face lies about its success relative to one of the biggest and most influential games ever made.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
In S2 basically every weapon can ink the shit out of everything, and consequently can move around the map and retreat through enemy ink much more freely, especially for medium and long range weapons. In S1, you had to be much more tactical about how you inked territory, and there was a much more interesting and strategic long arc to most matches at high levels. S2 feels like quake 3 in comparison.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Splatoon 1 is much more fun due to a more enjoyable map philosophy and the specials being bananas by comparison.

I only play Splatoon 2 for splatfests.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved this game when it received all the updates but i found it nearly impossible to go back to after playing Splatoon 2. It's one of those sequels that makes the original obsolete. Some of the weapons/specials/ stages that remain exclusive to Splatoon are best left behind.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
I regard Splatoon much like I do Pikmin, you had to be there in order understand it's importance. On consoles that had very little going for them (GC and Wii U), and then came these truly innovative and fun games. Some new fans will be made, but people won't understand the core essence. So much time was put in playing because there was little else to play if you only owned those console.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The one thing I miss the most from Splatoon 1 are the specials. Splatoon 2 just isn't very fun without them. They're too restrained now. I want to feel overpowered every once in a while. Killer Wail will forever be my favorite, and I am so happy it's Inkling's Final Smash in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Again youre ignoring the context of the post which I was responding to. How did splatoon do, sales wise, relative to other games in other regions? The post in question specifically brought up how it sold in Japan vs all other games. It very well might have sold more in the US than in Japan, where did it place in overall sales compared to other games in the US?

EDIT:

Here they are

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2018/01/19/the-best-selling-video-games-of-2017/#23a36dd36226

Not even top 10.

And even then you still wouldn't be on par with Halo's numbers. Theres no reality in which splatoon as a franchise is competing with Halo in sales, even more so when you factor in how influential Halo was compared to splatoon (or how Halo basically made an entire console a competitor today whereas splatoon did nothing to mitigate the dying numbers of the wii u). We can be happy splatoon is successful without making bold face lies about its success relative to one of the biggest and most influential games ever made.

Let's take a look at Splatoon 2 sales vs Halo 2 sales.

Halo 2 - 8+ million worldwide (6.3+ million in the US)
Splatoon 2 - 8.27 million worldwide (2.8+ million in Japan)

So Splatoon 2 has sold about as well as Halo 2 did, except whereas Halo 2 sales were almost entirely in the US (and to a much lesser extent, the UK), Splatoon 2 dominates in Japan, but about 2/3rds of all sales are outside Japan. Splatoon 2 regularly shows up in the Top 20 for both Japan & the US, so by the time Splatoon 3 comes out, chances are Splatoon 2 will far eclipse how well Halo 2 did (and Halo 2 was the best-selling original Xbox game of all-time).

As far as the NPD thing goes, Splatoon 2 was in the Top 20 Best-Selling Video Games of December 2018 despite being a 1.5 year old game which is even more impressive when you consider that A) most of the titles on that list are the combined sales totals of multiple platforms not a single-platform like Splatoon 2 and B) they don't include digital sales of Switch games in their ranking but they do include digital sales on other platforms.

So yes, comparing Splatoon to Halo seems apt - they're both revolutionary multiplayer shooter series, they both sell exceptionally well, and they both dominate in 1 country. Splatoon 2 is also currently the best-selling Switch game of all-time in Japan (easily outselling BotW, Mario Odyssey, and Mario Kart, although Smash Bros. is close and will probably overtake it over time) with nearly 40% of all Japanese Switch owners owning the game so it doesn't seem a stretch to say that Splatoon 2 has been a big system seller worldwide, but especially in Japan.

EDIT: Halo 1 & Splatoon 1 both sold about 5 million copies each (4.9 million for Splatoon 1, 5.5 million for Halo 1) so there's another similarity.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have no desire to revisit the MP but I wish they ported the campaign to the Switch. It's Octo-Expansion > Splatoon 1 > Splatoon 2 in terms of SP.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I wonder how much copies of Splatoon 1 will sell for after the online is shutdown. Most of the game will be unplayable.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Couldn't get into Splatoon 2 because of the lack of gamepad. Being able to constantly see the map and state of the match was truly important. Plus gyro in handheld mode implies that you constantly fiddle with your angle of view.

plebc

Jan 7, 2018
Motion controls on Wii U are much better and more responsive compared to Switch. Wii U also has less input lag could be due to Gamepad's usage of 5GHz connection to communicate with the console.

This video also compares other Wii U ports.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I want Splatoon 2. Played a bit of 1 and enjoyed it
I'm more of a single player kind of person. Is Splatoon 2 worth it?

At launch, not really it was pretty barebones. However the Octo Expansion really fleshed out the SP content to the point where I would say it's worth it

wiiucollector

Aug 5, 2018
Germany
I think the importance is to preserve the ability to play the online multiplayer modes - is it possible to do this locally, even if it requires 8 consoles?

Personally, I find going back to the original both easier and more difficult. With the roller, which is all I use, the improvements are sublime, but I do find that I have more little tricks I've learned for the maps than I currently have on Splatoon 2.

The online certainly is still alive, but once that goes it will be a damn shame to have lost a game to go back to, and one that I consider console-defining (alongside Super Mario Maker).

I guess they didn't add all the original maps to the sequel as they'll possibly intend on doing "retro" maps a la Mario Kart.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
It's the only TPS that has ever captured me. I only tried Splatoon for a few hours but Splatoon 2 is my favourite game on the Switch. Put 500 hours into it, right now burned out but in a month I'm back just like last time. It's just a fun game and I wish more older players would give it a chance.
I wish Splatoon 2 had some tunes from one and Mahi-Mahi+Flouder heights as returning maps tho. Can't really comment about the map, since I'm more use to the Switch version. Nintendo has really done it with this game. This and Mario Maker imo are one of the best new IP from last gen.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried to get into Splatoon 1 on WiiU

.. but those shitty gamepad only controls made me quit after a while. Just an awful way to control by tilting that fisher price toy all over the place

Splatoon 2 however - I love it. It controls wonderfully with split joycons, it is just so precise and feels really good

Oct 26, 2017
I tried to get into Splatoon 1 on WiiU

.. but those shitty gamepad only controls made me quit after a while. Just an awful way to control by tilting that fisher price toy all over the place

Splatoon 2 however - I love it. It controls wonderfully with split joycons, it is just so precise and feels really good
You do realize you could've turned off Gyro controls, right?

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie I like the first game better. Subjectively I prefer the weapons and maps. Also think it had a better single player and that the gamepad was really crucial as you say. The constantly available map just contributed so well to overall stage awareness and had me jumping around with much more aim and big picture focus.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
The bullet speed and responsiveness of shots when they hit someone is sooo much better in Splat 1. It just feels like all of the guns are faster or more accurate.

The gamepad's gyro feels a lot more responsive and precise than the ProCon's.

I love it.

The Splat 1 specials are really dumb, though, but I'll still boot it up from time to time.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
S**tty netcode, only 24hz and be forced to play with japaneses and their insane lag ruined the online for me. At one point I only played during Splatfests, which where region locked, the only way to have enjoyable matches.

Edit: oh yeah, i forgot the insane lack of map rotation and being forced to play with only two map with 50% chance of playing the same map over and over, such bull**it.

Dec 18, 2018
User Warned: System wars and antagonistic behaviour over a series of posts

Fake news, and internet trolling.there are countless threads on the internet over the years full of fake rage and fanboy bullshit. i still remember the thread about how twilight princess HD looked worst than the original on the Wii.
Do you even own the game?

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Motion controls on Wii U are much better and more responsive compared to Switch. Wii U also has less input lag could be due to Gamepad's usage of 5GHz connection to communicate with the console.

This video also compares other Wii U ports.

Having played the original on the WiiU again after 2, this is really noticeable. It's feels so off when going back to 2 again then.