• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like anyone who thinks this is a flanderization hasn't watched/read from the beginning.

The dude took the panties off Bulma because he wanted to use her balls as a pillow. That happened. He thought marriage was a food. He never really lived in society or learned anything about life. He just kept taking off into the woods/space/chamber to train for a tournament. It's pretty consistent throughout.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Dragon Ball hasn't been good since the Frieza arc, in my opinion. And Goku is a dumbass.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I think its a fair ask that comedy based on what a character says should make sense in relation with that character

goku is married and has 2 kids but has never kissed?

Goku isn't your average guy, he was raised in the woods. I don't understand how Chichi never kissed him, but Goku I can totally see not doing that and just acting on instinct for sex.

Mar 7, 2020
USA
Goku is a superpowered man child that only cares about fighitng.

Ex. Hey cell, here's a senzu bean, now go beat up my 10 year old son some more so he can learn the joys of combat XD.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Goku is a superpowered man child that only cares about fighitng.

Ex. Hey cell, here's a senzu bean, now go beat up my 10 year old son some more so he can learn the joys of combat XD.
You have to understand, Cell had post-Goku exhaustion.

Back to what matters, Goku has, and will always be, a moron who only cares for fighting and food. That's all. He literally begged Krillin to spare Vegeta because he wanted to fight him again. And even Goku acknowledged it was selfish from him, but you know, more important is to fight again the dude who killed his friends, his son substitute father and almost destroyed the Earth. And who almost killed him.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
IIRC the japanese line is meant to portray Goku as a puritan hillbilly and only outside of japan where we got a literal translation it has been a "problem"

Thanks dubs

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
You have to understand, Cell had post-Goku exhaustion.

Back to what matters, Goku has, and will always be, a moron who only cares for fighting and food. That's all. He literally begged Krillin to spare Vegeta because he wanted to fight him again. And even Goku acknowledged it was selfish from him, but you know, more important is to fight again the dude who killed his friends, his son substitute father and almost destroyed the Earth. And who almost killed him.
Vegeta didn't kill anyone but Nappa.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Yep. Super sucks ass. But people were just starving for a anything Dragon Ball, so they keep pretending to like it.

Yes just like everyone keeps pretending to like Marvel instead of Snyder's brlliance. Internet man.

Super revitalized the franchise and it has been extremely well received, it's impact on Dragon Balls newfound success is clear as day.

You can literally point at Battle of Gods and see the explosion in popularity just keep going up from there.

ArchedThunder posts the receipts constantly

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I always assumed Goku meant kissing with food/sensu bean in the mouth.

Why did Goku, Gohan and Vegeta marry wealthy women? (Chi-Chi until his appetite ate through the Ox-king fortune)

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Goku doesn't understand grown up relationship dynamics, but he lets Chi-Chi take control and ride him like a stallion in the bedroom because his smol brain files it under "workout."

He is a very simple man with a one-track mind, and that's why we love him.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes just like everyone keeps pretending to like Marvel instead of Snyder's brlliance. Internet man.

Super revitalized the franchise and it has been extremely well received, it's impact on Dragon Balls newfound success is clear as day.

You can literally point at Battle of Gods and see the explosion in popularity just keep going up from there.

ArchedThunder posts the receipts constantly

It is what it is.

OP
OP

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
I can believe it. Not everyone's into kissing.
If she's not into kissing, Goku sure as hell won't be the one to bring it up.

The same chi chi that thirsted after Goku from the time she met him? The problem with the whole they're supposed to be a very private, conservative old fashioned couple is chi chi's personality.

Even now she's still smitten with him.

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Goku is supposed to be dumb/innocent. It's part of his charm. Him not knowing what kissing/marriage is and only being interested in fighting and eating is 100% accurate and tracks with his personality. It's the first few huge arcs in DBZ that dropped the ball on his portrayal, not Super. DBS just brought things back to form to where they should have been in the first place from where we see Goku grow in OG Dragon Ball and the Buu arc of Z. It's the the Saiyan/Frieza/Cell arcs that are the odd ones out. I will die on this hill, because Super got it right.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I love how Vegeta was totally into the birth of Bulla and didn't want to miss it. Vegeta has always had the best character development of the crew.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Goku is supposed to be dumb/innocent. It's part of his charm. Him not knowing what kissing/marriage is and only being interested in fighting and eating is 100% accurate and tracks with his personality. It's the first few huge arcs in DBZ that dropped the ball on his portrayal, not Super. DBS just brought things back to form to where they should have been in the first place from where we see Goku grow in OG Dragon Ball and the Buu arc of Z. It's the the Saiyan/Frieza/Cell arcs that are the odd ones out. I will die on this hill, because Super got it right.

Isn't it weird that he doesn't learn anything about intimacy or relationships in over a decade though? It made sense when he was a wild kid living alone in the mountains, but he has had years to live with his wife and son. I don't get why the character remaining static is charming, especially when the rest of the cast around him are allowed to mature and develop. Goku can still be a simple guy that likes fighting and training without requiring him to have the same mental state as when he was a child.

Nov 17, 2017
Idk isn't that exactly why it's flanderization? Like he didn't know what marriage was/agreed to marry Chichi accidentally but he was a kid who grew up mostly in isolation. Flanderization is taking that gag/aspect of his character and making such a dominating part of who he is. That he can somehow be married for decades with two kids and still not know what a kiss is definitely feels like flanderization. You can be dumb/innocent and know what a kiss is.

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Isn't it weird that he doesn't learn anything about intimacy or relationships in over a decade though? It made sense when he was a wild kid living alone in the mountains, but he has had years to live with his wife and son. I don't get why the character remaining static is charming, especially when the rest of the cast around him are allowed to mature and develop. Goku can still be a simple guy that likes fighting and training without requiring him to have the same mental state as when he was a child.
Because throughout all of Dragon Ball, Goku never really learned much of anything, except for how to get better at fighting and maybe the desire for vengeance.And it makes sense that Chi-Chi basically has to force mating and romance on him because he just wouldn't understand it anyway. You have to remember that he kinda got brain damage as a small child, and Gohan died while Goku was still fairly young so he wouldn't be able to teach him how to be an adult anyway. He's pretty much a special needs kid that was robbed of his formative years without proper responsible adults to raise and take care of him. Bulma/Yamcha/Roshi don't really count cuz they're two teens and one weird creepy hermit respectively anyway. He's quite literally an adult child, but that's what makes him so great.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I love Super. You guys can't put words into my mouth and say "people now think Super sucks"!

Screw you soulless haters!

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy more have come around about Super, felt like I was taking crazy pills being in the weekly discussion threads.
Was there some magical time that I'm not remembering where there wasn't a massive hatedom for Super?

The animations issues from the first few episodes were everywhere, for example.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Goku was a concussion away from being a genocidal monster worker drone for the galaxy's biggest slave trader. He was raised by 2 hermits and Bulma.

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm not gonna say all of Super was shit but god damn it had such low lows. Goku's character was actually the worst. I don't even care if it's more accurate to the manga or whatever. Z Goku was much more tolerable in comparison. Even if he still made stupid decisions.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Super Goku is a straight up idiot. Everyone else is their Z personality slightly tweaked for more comedy when necessary, but Super Goku is a straight up idiot, doing things he would've never done in Z or OG Dragon Ball. Previous Goku's would've never forgotten the Mafuba tags or convinced God to host a multiversal tournament that would end most of existence.

They tried to reword things to make it seem like the Tournament of Power isn't all Goku's fault, but everyone knows it was all Goku's fault.

The tournament was definitely Goku's fault. But without the tournament every universe that participated would have eventually been obliterated anyway. So technically Goku's suggestion would have at least saved one universe regardless of who won.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The tournament was definitely Goku's fault. But without the tournament every universe that participated would have eventually been obliterated anyway. So technically Goku's suggestion would have at least saved one universe regardless of who won.
That reveal was so hamfisted when all of the implications were that Zeno essentially upped the stakes for shits and giggles, which also would've jived with the ending better since God would've come to the realization that shits and giggles wasn't a good idea via 17's selflessness.

Dec 30, 2020
At least we all know that Vegeta fucks
Every time he does, the moustache appears.

dragon-ball-vegeta-moustache-1250501-1280x0.jpeg

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Goku is straight business. On top of the sheets, no kissing, money's on the dresser.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
The same chi chi that thirsted after Goku from the time she met him? The problem with the whole they're supposed to be a very private, conservative old fashioned couple is chi chi's personality.

Even now she's still smitten with him.

I believe it's meant to simulate older Japanese generations who do not kiss and sometimes even sleep in separate beds. It's an actual thing.

It's not like Chichi was lusting over Goku's body.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went out of my way to scour TVTropes to explain why this happened and y'all are still going at it.

I feel betrayed and unappreciated.

Oct 25, 2017
On the other hand it's a just a throwaway joke but on the other hand it really feels like Goku is just a mascot than a character
I went out of my way to scour TVTropes to explain why this happened and y'all are still going at it.

I feel betrayed and unappreciated.
It's still kinda weird. I was just watching Zeta Gundam (a show from the mid 80s) had characters who met an episode ago make out. It's kinda hard to gauge stuff like this when something else tells you the opposite lol

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the other hand it's a just a throwaway joke but on the other hand it really feels like Goku is just a mascot than a character

It's still kinda weird. I was just watching Zeta Gundam (a show from the mid 80s) had characters who met an episode ago make out. It's kinda hard to gauge stuff like this when something else tells you the opposite lol

I'm not a Japanese Culture Expert but I think the show was aiming more at portraying Goku as outdated about social norms in a comedic way. He's supposed to have kissed his wife, but really old, traditionalist Japanese couples don't, and that's the joke they're aiming for with Goku.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a Japanese Culture Expert but I think the show was aiming more at portraying Goku as outdated about social norms in a comedic way. He's supposed to have kissed his wife, but really old, traditionalist Japanese couples don't, and that's the joke they're aiming for with Goku.
Jeez talk about a joke that only works in Japan lol. And if Goku is just a silly weirdo who doesn't understand norms than him not kissing his wife should be traditional...thing...God I'm over thinking this again >.>