• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete

Jul 4, 2019
It doesn't matter though, the GPU will produce exactly the same signal between VRR/Freesync/Gsync, there is no benefit of one over the other
Does this include LFC? As the CX supports Freesync Premium Pro, does that mean VRR can do LFC as well? I guess since freesync and gsync on tv is really just using HDMI VRR it should be the case.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Short answer: Just wait until the console comes out.

Medium answer: You won't get the best of the best that comes along with HDMI 2.1, but you don't NEED it. Wait until you can afford a TV upgrade or one goes on sale. If you really want to grab one, you can get the 55-inch Sony X900F for $999. I guess the LG CX is the "ultimate experience" right now but even then there are a few questions on how nice it will play since the console isn't out yet so again...might as well just wait. Prices aren't going to go up between now and then.
A sensible answer. Thank you.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Does this include LFC? As the CX supports Freesync Premium Pro, does that mean VRR can do LFC as well? I guess since freesync and gsync on tv is really just using HDMI VRR it should be the case.
LFC is handled on the output device, not the display.
The only requirement on the display end is that, for FreeSync at least, the difference between the minimum and maximum refresh rate must be at least 2.5×.
NVIDIA does not specify a range, but all G-Sync displays must support it.

As an example:
  • 48–120Hz = 2.5× so LFC works.
  • 40−60Hz = 1.5× so LFC does not work.
This is why 120Hz support (and thus, HDMI 2.1 for 4K120) is required for VRR to work correctly with televisions.
Nothing has a low enough minimum to support LFC at 60Hz (note: RTINGS erroneously list the minimum as <20Hz for some Samsung displays).

delete

Jul 4, 2019
LFC is handled on the output device, not the display.
The only requirement on the display end is that, for FreeSync at least, the difference between the minimum and maximum refresh rate must be at least 2.5×.
NVIDIA does not specify a range, but all G-Sync displays must support it.

As an example:
  • 48–120Hz = 2.5× so LFC works.
  • 40−60Hz = 1.5× so LFC does not work.
This is why 120Hz support (and thus, HDMI 2.1 for 4K120) is required for VRR to work correctly with televisions.
Nothing has a low enough minimum to support LFC at 60Hz (note: RTINGS erroneously list the minimum as <20Hz for some Samsung displays).
Awesome, it's what I thought but wasn't sure, thanks for the explanation.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So I have an LG OLED B7 — a 2017 model. I bought it on sale a couple of weeks before the 2018 models launched, so I got mine in early 2018.

It has served me well and is still satisfying to me. I maybe think it's a bit on the dim side at times, and I have noticed some tech reviewers (like Digital Trends) have started to admit that there's some black crush that occurs due to the way OLED tech works, which can in some games amplify the dimness. I also know there's an inherent dimness from brightness limiters to help prevent burn-in.

To be clear, I have not had burn-in at all on my OLED, and with how much I've used the TV over the years, it's no longer actually a concern for me when it comes to the way I use my TV. My gray uniformity is kinda outta whack now, even after doing pretty regular pixel refresher cycles, but I'm under the impression that this is just normal wear and tear of the pixels on an OLED that come with time. I've used the TV a minimum of 2000 hours since I got it, probably much more.

I've been very tempted by the number of features and updates I've seen roll out into specifically the LG OLED line of TVs since, but I have on occasion experienced dimness that feels just a bit too dark in some games, even after configuration attempts. My eyes have slowly adjusted since I bought this TV (coming from LED computer monitors that I'd used for over a decade), but as I start looking into the potential of already buying another TV to get HDMI 2.1, VRR, 120Hz, auto low latency mode, Filmmaker Mode, etc — I can't help but wonder if I might be better suited to giving up "pure black" from OLED for higher peak brightness on premium LED sets. It feels like tech reviewers and people with a strong eye for picture settings still generally prefer the OLED approach as an overall approach, but I feel like perhaps the ONE somewhat persistent issue I've had with my choice to go with OLED — bearing in mind that I am more of a gamer than any other type of media consumption on my TV — is that I often kinda dislike the dimness of my OLED. HDR still punches like crazy when I set it correctly (which still requires me to lean on other OLED owners' guides on a per-game basis more often than not) and I genuinely don't dislike OLED in general, I just realize I maybe don't have any experience at all with HDR-equipped LEDs, specifically more high-end ones like Samsung's QLED line.

I've kind of started to dabble in research since a few tech sources have started to examine the differences, and I'm kinda considering trying to get an HDMI 2.1, VRR, 120Hz, auto low latency mode equipped LED instead of another OLED... As I feel like giving up the pure pitch black display capabilities of OLED might be offset in my continuous wrestling with a sense of dimness on my current OLED. I also don't know how much better newer models of LG OLED's have gotten when it comes to handling the impression of dim picture.

And for reference, I am a night shift worker and often maintain my night shift sleep schedule on my days off when I use my TV — that is to say, I very often play in a dark room and not a bright one. I have experienced that a bright room setup DOES impact the impression of dimness somewhat significantly, though, but my general hours are at night with the lights off, so my ongoing dimness impressions are not a result of me playing in an overly bright room all the time.

Apr 28, 2020
So I have an LG OLED B7 — a 2017 model. I bought it on sale a couple of weeks before the 2018 models launched, so I got mine in early 2018.

It has served me well and is still satisfying to me. I maybe think it's a bit on the dim side at times, and I have noticed some tech reviewers (like Digital Trends) have started to admit that there's some black crush that occurs due to the way OLED tech works, which can in some games amplify the dimness. I also know there's an inherent dimness from brightness limiters to help prevent burn-in.

To be clear, I have not had burn-in at all on my OLED, and with how much I've used the TV over the years, it's no longer actually a concern for me when it comes to the way I use my TV. My gray uniformity is kinda outta whack now, even after doing pretty regular pixel refresher cycles, but I'm under the impression that this is just normal wear and tear of the pixels on an OLED that come with time. I've used the TV a minimum of 2000 hours since I got it, probably much more.

I've been very tempted by the number of features and updates I've seen roll out into specifically the LG OLED line of TVs since, but I have on occasion experienced dimness that feels just a bit too dark in some games, even after configuration attempts. My eyes have slowly adjusted since I bought this TV (coming from LED computer monitors that I'd used for over a decade), but as I start looking into the potential of already buying another TV to get HDMI 2.1, VRR, 120Hz, auto low latency mode, Filmmaker Mode, etc — I can't help but wonder if I might be better suited to giving up "pure black" from OLED for higher peak brightness on premium LED sets. It feels like tech reviewers and people with a strong eye for picture settings still generally prefer the OLED approach as an overall approach, but I feel like perhaps the ONE somewhat persistent issue I've had with my choice to go with OLED — bearing in mind that I am more of a gamer than any other type of media consumption on my TV — is that I often kinda dislike the dimness of my OLED. HDR still punches like crazy when I set it correctly (which still requires me to lean on other OLED owners' guides on a per-game basis more often than not) and I genuinely don't dislike OLED in general, I just realize I maybe don't have any experience at all with HDR-equipped LEDs, specifically more high-end ones like Samsung's QLED line.

I've kind of started to dabble in research since a few tech sources have started to examine the differences, and I'm kinda considering trying to get an HDMI 2.1, VRR, 120Hz, auto low latency mode equipped LED instead of another OLED... As I feel like giving up the pure pitch black display capabilities of OLED might be offset in my continuous wrestling with a sense of dimness on my current OLED. I also don't know how much better newer models of LG OLED's have gotten when it comes to handling the impression of dim picture.

And for reference, I am a night shift worker and often maintain my night shift sleep schedule on my days off when I use my TV — that is to say, I very often play in a dark room and not a bright one. I have experienced that a bright room setup DOES impact the impression of dimness somewhat significantly, though, but my general hours are at night with the lights off, so my ongoing dimness impressions are not a result of me playing in an overly bright room all the time.

Just wanted to say that I'll be interested what you decide to purchase next. I am also a 2017 OLED owner (C7), and I am a bit soured on how game mode was "dimmed" by LG, with their only recommendation to increase dynamic contrast. As much as the pure blacks and wide viewing angles impress me, I have been strongly considering returning to the LED panels for my next TV. And I too work many nights and also primarily use my TV for games, with the occasional movie.
Good luck with the next purchase!

Bearwolf

Oct 27, 2017
Will have to wait until the end of the year or next year to see if there is a 43 inch option. I just don't have the space for larger.

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
For US - Costco will have the 65" Sony x90h for $969 on the 30th - normal price is $1599 but is also on sale at other places for $1399.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Will have to wait until the end of the year or next year to see if there is a 43 inch option. I just don't have the space for larger.
That actually is my delima. My media center is able to fit wide TVs at that size but apparently you won't really see "4K" in that screen size. I'm not sure all these bells and whistles that will benefit PS5 will even come in that size if I choose to stick with it.

Bearwolf

Oct 27, 2017
That actually is my delima. My media center is able to fit wide TVs at that size but apparently you won't really see "4K" in that screen size. I'm not sure all these bells and whistles that will benefit PS5 will even come in that size if I choose to stick with it.

Yeah, at this point I'm considering a gaming monitor instead as I will eventually upgrade my pc too.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I just ordered a LG CX 55 myself and I also use my current display as a PC monitor (A decent-ish 49" Sony Bravia X800D). I originally bought the X800D for a HDR display but I didn't know until after the fact while it is a HDR10 display with wide color gamut with a 10 Bit panel, unfortunately it only has a peak brightness of 381 Nits so not exactly ideal for HDR content.

The entertainment stand shared with my game consoles sits immediately next to small table where my PC tower is, so I don't exactly have the ideal setup to accommodate both a Monitor and a TV hence why I use a TV for an all-in-one purpose solution.

My only concerns in getting an OLED panel is the issues with image retention but I have put some contingencies in place, changing my OS and Browser theme to black, Wallpaper Engine and using the uBlock Origin browser extensions to disable / hide some website icons.

2F7DvSu.jpg

I just now need to decide how to do my next gen console setup.

I think maybe it's a small blessing the RTX 3080 purchase never went through because I had to decide on upgrading my TV or getting a new GPU for my PC. I mean ever since the discovery of the capacitor issue of the 3000 series cards happened. I've opted to put the money from the GPU towards my TV purchase instead.

I'm just now planning ahead to prepare myself to minimize any sort of burn in issues, but any additional tips or recommendations would be welcome.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Just ordered the 77 inch LG CX. First tv purchase in 8 years and I'm upgrading from a 42 inch Panasonic. My eyeballs are ready.

I hope you enjoy. I just got my LGX 55 today, so having an even larger screen will have a big impact.

Here is my current setup. (You can see my old TV in the image above for where I plan to put my PS5 and XBSX)

OklbRiB.jpg

I wish we had a LG CX thread. Quite a few people bought one the last couple of days, so I was hoping for dedicated thread for the sake of calibration and getting the settings right. I am having a bit of trouble navigating the configuration so some kind of thread where we can share ideal settings would be nice.

ciD_Vain

Nov 28, 2017
Los Angeles
I hope you enjoy. I just got my LGX 55 today, so having an even larger screen will have a big impact.

Here is my current setup. (You can see my old TV in the image above for where I plan to put my PS5 and XBSX)

OklbRiB.jpg

I wish we had a LG CX thread. Quite a few people bought one the last couple of days, so I was hoping for dedicated thread for the sake of calibration and getting the settings right. I am having a bit of trouble navigating the configuration so some kind of thread where we can share ideal settings would be nice.
Yo I'm so pumped! Thanks for the pic!

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
I just ordered a LG CX 55 myself and I also use my current display as a PC monitor (A decent-ish 49" Sony Bravia X800D). I originally bought the X800D for a HDR display but I didn't know until after the fact while it is a HDR10 display with wide color gamut with a 10 Bit panel, unfortunately it only has a peak brightness of 381 Nits so not exactly ideal for HDR content.

The entertainment stand shared with my game consoles sits immediately next to small table where my PC tower is, so I don't exactly have the ideal setup to accommodate both a Monitor and a TV hence why I use a TV for an all-in-one purpose solution.

My only concerns in getting an OLED panel is the issues with image retention but I have put some contingencies in place, changing my OS and Browser theme to black, Wallpaper Engine and using the uBlock Origin browser extensions to disable / hide some website icons.

2F7DvSu.jpg

I just now need to decide how to do my next gen console setup.

I think maybe it's a small blessing the RTX 3080 purchase never went through because I had to decide on upgrading my TV or getting a new GPU for my PC. I mean ever since the discovery of the capacitor issue of the 3000 series cards happened. I've opted to put the money from the GPU towards my TV purchase instead.

I'm just now planning ahead to prepare myself to minimize any sort of burn in issues, but any additional tips or recommendations would be welcome.

I will take a new tv for nextgen to and want to take CX but I am so afraid of retention.
I use the TV to visit some sites and navigate on windows explorer to, some sheet, etc...
I really want to experience a OLED but all this talk of retention has really made me cautiou.
Its this really a really major concern ?

edit: more 2 questions:
Which new tv has the best HDR mode?
and which new tv has the lowest response time?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I will take a new tv for nextgen to and want to take CX but I am so afraid of retention.
I use the TV to visit some sites and navigate on windows explorer to, some sheet, etc...
I really want to experience a OLED but all this talk of retention has really made me cautiou.

You just want to avoid static icons and unmoving UI elements on your screen for a prolonged period of time. I would have never bought this LG CX set if I never had a solid plan on how to deal with retention.

I plan to keep this TV around the entirety of the next console gen which I anticipate to be a solid 6 years.

One of the immediate things I did was get Wallpaper Engine on Steam and get one of the moving wallpapers, Also set the screen to turn off after 3 minutes after idle. Also used ButteryTaskbar to hide the taskbar (pressing the Windows key brings it up when I need it, otherwise it gives me a ton more screen estate. Another good suggestion is to use a dark browser and Windows theme. Create a folder on your computer somewhere and put all of your desktop shortcuts inside and link this to the start menu to make your desktop Icon free. Although I seldom go to my desktop anyways since I'm usually in game on Steam.

The important thing is to use varied content on your display so it isn't seeing the same thing for an extended period of time. So playing an MMO with static UI elements on your screen for 5 hours straight isn't really idea. As long as you can Alt-Tab out of the game, or give your screen a break every now and then you should be able to avoid the biggest issues with burn-in.

Mainly non-moving static icons is the big issue. Like the Resetera logo in the upper left for example. But using a browser extension like uBlock Origin will let you hide these sorts of things.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
You just want to avoid static icons and unmoving UI elements on your screen for a prolonged period of time. I would have never bought this LG CX set if I never had a solid plan on how to deal with retention.

I plan to keep this TV around the entirety of the next console gen which I anticipate to be a solid 6 years.

One of the immediate things I did was get Wallpaper Engine on Steam and get one of the moving wallpapers, Also set the screen to turn off after 3 minutes after idle. Also used ButteryTaskbar to hide the taskbar (pressing the Windows key brings it up when I need it, otherwise it gives me a ton more screen estate. Another good suggestion is to use a dark browser and Windows theme. Create a folder on your computer somewhere and put all of your desktop shortcuts inside and link this to the start menu to make your desktop Icon free. Although I seldom go to my desktop anyways since I'm usually in game on Steam.

The important thing is to use varied content on your display so it isn't seeing the same thing for an extended period of time. So playing an MMO with static UI elements on your screen for 5 hours straight isn't really idea. As long as you can Alt-Tab out of the game, or give your screen a break every now and then you should be able to avoid the biggest issues with burn-in.

Mainly non-moving static icons is the big issue. Like the Resetera logo in the upper left for example. But using a browser extension like uBlock Origin will let you hide these sorts of things.

wow!!
thats a lot of things to take care...
Theres LCDs on the market with similar image quality to this CX, specially in responde time and image quality with HDR mode?

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Just wanted to say that I'll be interested what you decide to purchase next. I am also a 2017 OLED owner (C7), and I am a bit soured on how game mode was "dimmed" by LG, with their only recommendation to increase dynamic contrast. As much as the pure blacks and wide viewing angles impress me, I have been strongly considering returning to the LED panels for my next TV. And I too work many nights and also primarily use my TV for games, with the occasional movie.
Good luck with the next purchase!
I have a B7 and I dont know what you folks mean by dimmed game mode. Most games I have turned on recently are in HDR though. the OLED light for HDR i have set to 100. Ive heard others say it too but maybe it is subjective.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
The only one I can consider close to an LG CX is probably the Samsung Q90T but it only has a single HDMI 2.1 port, so you have multiple next-gen consoles or a gaming PC, You would need to use an HDMI 2.1 splitter (once they become available)

The problem is the Samsung is almost the same price for a QLED set.

The Q90T is also a much brighter panel. 1100 Nits peak brightness for HDR as opposed to the 750 Nits of the LG CX. However the OLED panel can produce perfect blacks and excellent gray uniformity so ultimately colors have much better pop on the OLED display.

It's a decent comparison

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017

OklbRiB.jpg

Don't know if you've checked this thread, but I think it might be close enough to what you're looking for. Any questions you have regarding your TV will probably get plenty of answers from people there.

www.resetera.com

2019-2022 LG and Sony OLEDs calibration and general settings

I've decided to make a new thread, where owners of the new LG C9 OLED can chat about gaming settings and tv calibration settings. This is to avoid getting too confused between the C7 tv and C9 as theres a bit of a difference in settings.

delete

Jul 4, 2019

edit: more 2 questions:
Which new tv has the best HDR mode?
and which new tv has the lowest response time?
If you are going to be paranoid about burn in I suggest steering away from OLED, anytime you are using it you will be thinking about burn in instead of actually enjoying the content.

According to RTINGS the best HDR gaming tv is the LG oled followed by Samsung Q90, however the q90 doesn't support dolby vision which the series x/s will support.

Most mid range and high end tvs have very little input lag these days in game mode.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Just bought the TCL R635 6-series and I like it a lot. The THX Game Mode looks fantastic, the input lag is great and it has next-gen like features like variable frame-rate.

Yes, it is a budget option at only $650 for the 55 inch, but I've watched some reviews of the TV before I bought it and many of them said it's amazing TV for the price. Plus it has mini-LED technology with excellent HDR to boot.

It does only support 1440p at 120fps which honestly is fine for me because I don't honestly think many AAA games will have the option for 4K120hz. Additionally, 1440p from 4K isn't very noticeable of a downgrade for my eyes. You still can do 4K60fps no problem when 120hz isn't an option, which probably will be the case for many games.

It technically isn't a HDMI 2.1 TV but I've read that more or less it matches that input minus 4K120hz support.

Also shoutout to Roku's interface, makes setting up consoles fairly easy. Though like any console a lot of options are turned off by default for gaming so you have to go in and tinker with all the settings, some hidden within the Roku app to fully enable and get the most out of the TV. The results however are wonderful.

Last edited:

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
If you are going to be paranoid about burn in I suggest steering away from OLED, anytime you are using it you will be thinking about burn in instead of actually enjoying the content.

According to RTINGS the best HDR gaming tv is the LG oled followed by Samsung Q90, however the q90 doesn't support dolby vision which the series x/s will support.

Most mid range and high end tvs have very little input lag these days in game mode.

Thanks!!
It will be a really hard choice for me!!

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017

OklbRiB.jpg

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The Q90T is also a much brighter panel. 1100 Nits peak brightness for HDR as opposed to the 750 Nits of the LG CX. However the OLED panel can produce perfect blacks and excellent gray uniformity so ultimately colors have much better pop on the OLED display.
In terms of HDR, that's half a stop brighter - which is not a huge deal in my opinion.
Nice to have, but it would not be a deciding factor in which display I buy.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I've had good use out of my Toshiba 1080p set but I need to upgrade.
Anyone have a 4K Hisense (basically Toshiba sets)?

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Hey folks, been reading the thread to try to learn but still looking for advice. Sorry if this has basically been asked before (seems likely).

Up front: I probably don't have budget for an OLED and I've had enough OLED devices get burn-in that I don't trust them at all anyway. So I'm not gonna get an LG. Yes, I know they have a great picture :)

The three models I've identified as possibilities are the Samsung Q70T, Sony X900H, and TCL 6 Series all at 55" and under $1000 US. I'm mainly looking for HDR quality but also refuse to go without VRR or 120 Hz @ 1440p or lower (120 Hz @ 4k is nice but whatever, since I expect this to be vanishingly rare in the upcoming gen).

Anyone have personal experience or thoughts between those three? From what I've read the Sony probably has the best picture/HDR, but is waiting on a firmware update to enable VRR and 120 Hz. I'll be pretty annoyed if I'm waiting a year for that stuff, so that'd be a point against it. And then I'm wondering if either the Sony or Samsung is worth the premium over the TCL.

Cheers, thanks for any help!

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
2021 models will probably have less trade offs, there will definitely be better options in the future. It might be worth waiting.
I could, but my actual tv is from 2014.
Its a Sony high end but it's from 2014.
Theres no HDR. It will be to bad buy a PS5 and couldn't run HDR mode in their games...
I should wait but will be hard to resist.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm just waiting for 2.1 monitors to be available. I'll probably play my PS5 initially without HDR on one of my existing monitors.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying real hard to resist upgrading my TV, I'm looking at the Sony X900H and hoping that Black Friday brings some big discounts. Is there any major downside with that TV?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I'm trying real hard to resist upgrading my TV, I'm looking at the Sony X900H and hoping that Black Friday brings some big discounts. Is there any major downside with that TV?

It's a relatively new TV from Sony that just came out in July. The thing is Sony is advertising it as a Ready for PS5 TV, however it doesn't have HDMI 2.1 support out of the box. Sony said that would be coming later on as a Firmware update.

Also not all all four ports are HDMI 2.1, only two and one of the two being shared with eARC which means if you have a AV Receiver and and multiple next-gen consoles. That means only one console will be able to take advantage of 4K VRR benefits of HDMI 2.1, or you two consoles if you don't have an audio receiver using eARC.

I'm sure it's probably an excellent TV, but I wish manufacturers would stop cutting corners with they have multiple HDMI ports and only limit the amount of 2.1 utilized rather than make all of the ports HDMI 2.1 instead.

Fixuis

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I was totally excited about the Sony X 900h until I saw it in Best Buy in person. The PQ was great but did not wow me. The picture didn't pop. Coming from a Pioneer Kuro so maybe a bit spoiled when it comes to absolutely Pristine PQ.

The CX LG Oled seems like the next logical step here. Incredible PQ on those.