• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's literally me right now. I'm about to get a new TV before next-gen (even before LoU2/GoT summer), but for PC/Gaming usages there doesn't seem to be a "perfect" TV for users like us at all.

LG C9: OLED, future-proof features, Dolby Vision -> BUT burn-in risk for PC usage

Samsung: No burn-in risk, so safe for PC -> BUT missing some future-proof features, bad game mode

Sony: No burn-in risk, so safe for PC -> BUT missing all future-proof features

It all comes down to our PC usage. Without it, LG C9 would be a clear winner, at least for me. Right now, there seem to be only two options: a) take the risk, setup the desktop as OLED-friendly as possible and live with constant fear of burn-in or b) say goodbye to PC usage on TV and go back to a separate monitor like laptop, tablet etc.
It's unfortunate. I've decided on the Sony x950G for now although it's beyond what I would like to spend to be honest. I think I'll live without VRR. What's really disappointing is there are no real choices when it comes to more affordable TVs, they all come with huge caveats. My 2013 Sony TV has a VA panel, 15ms of input lag and was like $500, has impressive black/screen uniformity and very decent contrast. Sony's current low/mid range LCD TVs have IPS panels, awful input lag, all kinds of uniformity issues and are more expensive to boot. Other major brand TVs also seem to be kind of crap. I'd be paying more to buy something worse lol. I almost would prefer to buy the same TV I have to replace it (I'm only in the market because the panel is buggy).

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Since building my Gaming PC, I now have much more knowledge about the state of the TV and monitor industry.

I got myself the rare, but well lauded LG 27inch 144hz. Which has low input lag and excellent motion.

However it seems that there's no truly perfect all in one screen that does everything, at a reasonable price.

The ideal for me would be the underlying technology of my current monitor for fast motion, high refresh rate low lag + 21:9 aspect ratio + OLED + quality HDR.

But it seems like you have to sacrifice one thing for another, so it's best to just have 2 screens for each purpose.

Definitely want to eventually get an LG (or Sony) OLED HDR and place it in my Computer Room, rather than my Bedroom where my current Sony LED TV is. Working out the ergonomics of that will be interesting.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's literally me right now. I'm about to get a new TV before next-gen (even before LoU2/GoT summer), but for PC/Gaming usages there doesn't seem to be a "perfect" TV for users like us at all.

LG C9: OLED, future-proof features, Dolby Vision -> BUT burn-in risk for PC usage

Samsung: No burn-in risk, so safe for PC -> BUT missing some future-proof features, bad game mode

Sony: No burn-in risk, so safe for PC -> BUT missing all future-proof features

It all comes down to our PC usage. Without it, LG C9 would be a clear winner, at least for me. Right now, there seem to be only two options: a) take the risk, setup the desktop as OLED-friendly as possible and live with constant fear of burn-in or b) say goodbye to PC usage on TV and go back to a separate monitor like laptop, tablet etc.

What's the difference between gaming all the time on console vs PC? Are you using your PC as just a monitor for non gaming stuff?

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I plan on get a tv for next-gen by the end of the year by taking next-gen into consideration.
Looking for 43", is there/or is there going to be a budget to mid-budget tv with 4K, HDR and HDMI 2.1?

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
What are the best possible options for a next-gen ready 60" tv? I want 4k, HDR, and all the bells and whistles ill need to make the series x sing.

Nov 21, 2017
USA
I have a LG B7 55" from a couple of years ago. Trying to figure out how ready that is for next gen. Obviously best option would be a 65" CX but that gets real pricey. Thinking about the new NanoCell 90 series 75" but the whole variable refresh rate stuff is what confuses me. If it has HDMI 2.1 it's good to go?

Last edited:

AGE2019

May 5, 2019
Just get something with HDMI 2.1 and low latency.
How about VRR? That's a next gen TV feature that some HDMI 2.1 TV's don't have.
I would definitely consider VRR a must have TV feature on a new purchase.

Needing a really bright TV for my space, I just want to see pricing and details on the 2020 P-Series Quantum X.
That's the one I am waiting on as well, seems like their TV's release later in the year.

I'm also eyeing that 2020 P Series Quantum X TV.
With a Peak brightness of 3000 Nits, Low latency, VRR, HDMI 2.1 and Micro LED tech it should be one of the best 65 inch NON OLED TV's on the market as well as one of the most reliable.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
any word on AV Rcvrs with HDMI 2.1 passthrough?
The future is bypassing the AVR for video using eARC, not passing through higher bandwidth signals.

I wonder how many people get burn in running their OLED's at sane settings, one poster on here got burn in and it turns out he was running his OLED light at 100 in SDR and it was a 2016 set, so lasted a decent time with the OLED light that high for that many years..
RTINGS' SDR real scene peak brightness test only measured 284 nits for a C6 OLED (2016). It's not unreasonable to have the display set to that.

My god this is awful. I almost bit the bullet on a 2019 LG TV. Game mode on my seven year-old Sony HDTV looks virtually identical to Cinema.
That's because your old TV probably didn't have full-array local dimming.
My 2010 Sony TV does use FALD, and it's the same story there - contrast is reduced in game mode because it never turns zones off, and the zones lag a frame behind the content.
But it has a panel with 5000:1 native contrast, which is still higher than many of the current FALD displays on the market, so it didn't look as bad in game mode as some of the newer displays do. Its dimming algorithms still seem to be a step above many of the newer models too.

OLED unfortunately isn't a choice for me because I'd be using the TV as a PC monitor too, and I got no doubt that's going to cause major burn-in issues.
I've been mulling over the idea of buying the cheapest LG 55B9 I can find, because that way I shouldn't be too torn up about it if it does end up suffering from burn-in - and it's still going to provide better image quality than any other LCD on the market - at least for dark room viewing.

It's unfortunate. I've decided on the Sony x950G for now although it's beyond what I would like to spend to be honest. I think I'll live without VRR.
I wouldn't recommend buying a TV without VRR - especially if you plan on using it with consoles.
VRR makes things look much smoother, and really helps to reduce input lag.

GreyFox

Oct 28, 2017
What's the difference between gaming all the time on console vs PC? Are you using your PC as just a monitor for non gaming stuff?

Yes, with PC usage I mean daily desktop stuff, websurfing, forums, YouTube etc. I'm basically using my TV as a PC monitor. And with that, burn-in risk is way higher due to static objects on screen like icons, taskbar, scrollbars and what not.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The future is bypassing the AVR for video using eARC, not passing through higher bandwidth signals.

RTINGS' SDR real scene peak brightness test only measured 284 nits for a C6 OLED (2016). It's not unreasonable to have the display set to that.

That's because your old TV probably didn't have full-array local dimming.
My 2010 Sony TV does use FALD, and it's the same story there - contrast is reduced in game mode because it never turns zones off, and the zones lag a frame behind the content.
But it has a panel with 5000:1 native contrast, which is still higher than many of the current FALD displays on the market, so it didn't look as bad in game mode as some of the newer displays do. Its dimming algorithms still seem to be a step above many of the newer models too.

I've been mulling over the idea of buying the cheapest LG 55B9 I can find, because that way I shouldn't be too torn up about it if it does end up suffering from burn-in - and it's still going to provide better image quality than any other LCD on the market - at least for dark room viewing.

I wouldn't recommend buying a TV without VRR - especially if you plan on using it with consoles.
VRR makes things look much smoother, and really helps to reduce input lag.
OLEDs are way too damn expensive here, they're out of the question for me. And I can't begin to imagine what kind of image retention I'll get with heavy desktop use.

Honestly right now VRR is not a big deal to me. So few TVs currently support hdmi 2.1 anyway, and my PC basically tops out at 60fps and frankly I doubt we'll see much use of it in next-gen consoles anyway since most games will probably still be 30fps. And my GPU doesn't have hdmi 2.1 either way, the TV would have to have freesync support specifically. By the time I actually get a PS5 or whatever maybe I'll get another TV. The TV market is currently too much of a clusterfuck.

Currently mulling over just getting a cheapo RU7100 and be done with it for the time being. Only thing that stays my hand is that these idiotic Samsung TVs have an auto dimming/dynamic contrast function that you can't turn off, and also they don't have 3.5mm output for headphones, although that's more of a personal issue for me based on my usage.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I plan on get a tv for next-gen by the end of the year by taking next-gen into consideration.
Looking for 43", is there/or is there going to be a budget to mid-budget tv with 4K, HDR and HDMI 2.1?

You'll not find anything on that size. Only budget TVs that are not suited for HDR and not HDMI 2.1. Ready.

I have a LG B7 55" from a couple of years ago. Trying to figure out how ready that is for next gen. Obviously best option would be a 65" CX but that gets real pricey. Thinking about the new NanoCell 90 series 75" but the whole variable refresh rate stuff is what confuses me. If it has HDMI 2.1 it's good to go?

Yep. HDMI 2.1 is what you want.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
And yet I quite often see a Samsung TV whenever I go round someone's...
It's a combination of marketing, word of mouth from casual TV users and they're more prone to price reductions so they're generally cheaper than the competition (excluding the higher QLED models).

If I were to choose between a Samsung Q70 and a Sony X950G, what would y'all recommend?
The sony X950G and it's not even close.

Is the C9 a solid suggestion for those familiar with it?
Definitely.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Will any HDMI cable support 2.1? I'm thinking of running a thin HDMI cable underneath the carpet to get to a C9 TV, but now I'm worried it won't be able to support 4k 120Hz once I get a gpu that supports it.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
It's a combination of marketing, word of mouth from casual TV users and they're more prone to price reductions so they're generally cheaper than the competition (excluding the higher QLED models).

The sony X950G and it's not even close.

Definitely.
Will it get me through at least 4-next gen years?

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Really want to "next-gen proof" yourself? Wait until spring 2021 to buy a new tv. Then you'll know what supported technologies are actually important, reliable, and worth investing in. Nobody can make an informed decision when everything we have is theoretical.

You won't enjoy your new console any less in the meantime.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah. I was thinking about buying a 55 CX but I'll opt for a 65 inch C9 instead as it pretty much has all the tech next gen is gonna support.
You are speaking my language. I saw where NewEgg is selling a 65" for $1900 and thinking about pulling the trigger on it. You would certainly suggest that for a TV choice to best showcase nextgen?

Jun 10, 2018
If you're limited to 43" then you'd only be looking at Vizio. They are the only ones offering a 43" TV with HDMI 2.1 (and VRR), though all of their models from the M8, M7, and V-Series are limited to 60hz. Only the M7-Series & V-Series will be offering a 43" model and only the M7-Series will offer local dimming. But it only has up to 30 local dimming zones and between 12 - 16 local dimming zones for the 43". So nothing worthwhile.

But Vizio hasn't started releasing their 2020 TV's yet.

Hopewell

Jan 17, 2018
Can't afford an OLED. My next best option is the Q70R?
I can't confirm because I haven't bought it yet but after reading a lot of reviews, I made up my mind on buying a Q70R.
I don't know if it apply for your place but here in France there's -20% on this model so I can get the 55" model for less than 700 euros.

It doesn't have HDMI 2.1 so no 4K 120hz however.
But it has a very good if not the best value for money imo.

I am too scared of burn in on OLED and I prefer spending less on a TV now and to buy a micro led TV 6-7 years from now.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
You are speaking my language. I saw where NewEgg is selling a 65" for $1900 and thinking about pulling the trigger on it. You would certainly suggest that for a TV choice to best showcase nextgen?
1900 is a damn good price for a C9, here in Europe they cost around 2200 euro's, I'm glad I'm at least getting some employee discount on em. Do it, you won't be disappointed.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Is the Optoma UHD60 still one of the best (and versatile) projectors on the market? I have a super old 42 inch, 1080p, 60Hz Samsung television and when moving to my new place, I'm planning on recycling that old work horse to go with the projector route for my home theatre/gaming set up.

Yudoken

Jun 7, 2019
I'm not sure why the LG 9000 NanoCell tv's are not recommended here.
Of course the C9 is the top notch with the oled screen but if you don't want to spend over 1200€ on a TV and are not sure about burn in you can go with the 9000 series.
They offer the same HDMI 2.1 features and have no burn in risks but still offer a at least good quality screen and colors.
I think they're an excellent choice especially if you can get them on sale.

I purchased the LG 49SM90007LA and I can highly recommend them especially for pc usage. I got my 49 inch for 668€ on sale which is about half the cost of the C9 here in Germany. Bought a lapboard keyboard for the couch and stopped using my pc monitor entirely.

Even though the GTX 1080 does not support Gsync HDMI I can't make out tearing as long as it's not 30fps gameplay. Only in Doom 16 I was able to make up a bit of tearing when they locked the fps down to 30 in videos.

Last edited:

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
I can't confirm because I haven't bought it yet but after reading a lot of reviews, I made up my mind on buying a Q70R.
I don't know if it apply for your place but here in France there's -20% on this model so I can get the 55" model for less than 700 euros.

It doesn't have HDMI 2.1 so no 4K 120hz however.
But it has a very good if not the best value for money imo.

I am too scared of burn in on OLED and I prefer spending less on a TV now and to buy a micro led TV 6-7 years from now.

I'm struggling to find it. I'm seeing the Q70T but this one doesn't have local dimming.

I'm in the same boat as you. I can't afford an OLED especially if it develops burn in.

Nov 21, 2017
USA
Of course a C9 is the top notch with the oled screen but if you don't want to spend on a excellent TV with the right HDMI 2.1 and don't want to risk burn in they're an excellent choice.

I purchased the LG 49SM90007LA and I can highly recommend them especially for tv use. I got mine for 49 inch for 668€ on sale which is about half the cost of the C9. Bought a lapboard keyboard for the couch and stopped using my monitor entirely.
Even though the GTX 1080 does not support Gsync HDMI I can't make out tearing as long as it's not 30fps gameplay. Only in Doom 16 I was able to make up a bit of tearing when they locked the fps down to 30 in videos.

I'm looking into the 65" or 75" 2020 NanoCell 90 series. I have a 55" B7 but if I wanted HDMI 2.1 a bigger screen the NanoCell seems like much more affordable option. How do you like the colors?

Yudoken

Jun 7, 2019
I'm looking into the 65" or 75" 2020 NanoCell 90 series. I have a 55" B7 but if I wanted HDMI 2.1 a bigger screen the NanoCell seems like much more affordable option. How do you like the colors?

I'm no expert but I had some time to play different kind of games and watched some shows/4k HDR content and with the right adjustments (I have a profile for desktop/games and one for videos) the colors and overall picture quality is fantastic.

Even the black levels are not that of a big deal because it dims down the black if you want it to. If you're in a very dark room you might get a little distracted by it but honestly I really did not get bothered by it.

In comparison with other tv's I've seen so far (which are at least a year old, some are huge, some are also curved) I can say that it's better than any of those of my friends and family.
The tv also has much better colors and black than my Predator XB271HUbmiprz monitor which is also a ips monitor, that's for sure.

Last edited:

h0mebas3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been eyeing the CX48 which would be perfect for a gaming/den setup I'm working on. Thoughts?

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
Last edited:

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
guys, I think I am going to pass on the C9 this weekend and instead look for a CX this fall.

I literally have had it in my cart multiple times this week but ya know, I wont gain a whole lot for the next 6 months having a C9 over my B6.

PS5 and Series X will probably come out before BF so sure I might miss a couple weeks of super super shiny & new, but my B6 still looks awesome

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Of course the C9 is the top notch with the oled screen but if you don't want to spend over 1200€ on a TV and are not sure about burn in you can go with the 9000 series.
They offer the same HDMI 2.1 features and have no burn in risks but still offer a at least good quality screen and colors.
I think they're an excellent choice especially if you can get them on sale.

I purchased the LG 49SM90007LA and I can highly recommend them especially for pc usage. I got my 49 inch for 668€ on sale which is about half the cost of the C9 here in Germany. Bought a lapboard keyboard for the couch and stopped using my pc monitor entirely.

Because they are IPS panels, and they suffer in contrast ratios (and hence, HDR). That being said, I saw an SM9500 and it looked surprisingly good, but it wasn't in a dark room, where it's where they suffer the most.

The biggest problem is, if you don't get them at a sale like you, they are usually priced very high, in ranges with better options like the Q70 or the Sony XF9000, and not that far from OLEDs. When I bought my C8, the 55' 9500 was priced at the same price (yeah it was newer TV than the C8 but still).

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's weird, my mate bought the KS8000 and I helped him calibrate it but i still didn't like what was shown compared to the equivalent Sony I bought that year (2017). I have never been disappointed with the quality of a Sony tv and I make sure I do my homework when i buy.
KS8000 is a 2016 TV, so I imagine upper end TVs a year later would be better. Still, I think it's a great TV limited by not having a fald display. Has low input lag and gets plenty bright enough in both SDR and HDR content

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Oof. Saw an open box satisfactory B9 discounted hundreds off on Best Buy this morning. Hesitated and now it's gone. Think I'll just bite the bullet and go with a new C9 55 inch

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019

Gorion's Ward

Apr 6, 2019
Israel <3
Such a bummer about LCDs this year. Seems like the X900H will actually be inferior to the F and the X950 won't have 2.1/VRR. LG doesn't have a strong enough LCD and I stay the hell away from Samsung where I live because their warranty sucks. TCL isn't a thing here, their TVs outside of the US suck.

Almost made me consider OLED but I can only afford 55 C9 and I will get burn in in like a month with my usage.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Will any HDMI cable support 2.1? I'm thinking of running a thin HDMI cable underneath the carpet to get to a C9 TV, but now I'm worried it won't be able to support 4k 120Hz once I get a gpu that supports it.

HDMI 2.1 cables are available but if you're thinking of running a longer cable, they're pretty pricey right now for long lengths. That price should come down pretty quickly once HDMI 2.1 is more widely available.

Maple-Rebel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 15, 2018
Such a bummer about LCDs this year. Seems like the X900H will actually be inferior to the F and the X950 won't have 2.1/VRR. LG doesn't have a strong enough LCD and I stay the hell away from Samsung where I live because their warranty sucks. TCL isn't a thing here, their TVs outside of the US suck.

Almost made me consider OLED but I can only afford 55 C9 and I will get burn in in like a month with my usage.

Sony really missed a step by not launching the 950h with hdmi 2.1. Especially in the 49 inch range, where PC users might consider it as an option and the competition is limited to LG / Sony's much more expensive OLED's. The 900h seems like it makes a lot of compromises just to get hdmi 2.1 ports. If I had to pick a tv now, I'd go with the 950h, but I'm going to hold out as long as I can to see what else releases this year.

Last edited:

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Is 8K a requirement for future-proofing the TV? I feel like it's total overkill

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
Which one does that?
Samsung Q70T and up with 240hz panel 50 inch up. The "240" panel means it actually 120hz and supports full VRR spec and LFC which keeps frames steady for 30FPS games as well. Only Samsung's currently do like it says in that video hopefully that changes.

it's why I'm in a holding pattern for the new consoles and TVs for my game room. The tv I have in there is a 2014 Vizio P55 which can do 120@1080p and 4K@60 but no HDR and it's IPS with FALD but blacks aren't good. My other tv is a 2017 TCL P55 with FALD and HDR but those are 60HZ panels. So I wait.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
None of these TVs seem to make a specific distinction between HDMI '2.1'. How do you even know if a TV has it?

Oct 28, 2017
Oof. Saw an open box satisfactory B9 discounted hundreds off on Best Buy this morning. Hesitated and now it's gone. Think I'll just bite the bullet and go with a new C9 55 inch

I had this same thing with a satisfactory C9 at my Best Buy. Gone in under an hour from when I found it while I was trying to find someone with a big enough car to go pick it up...