• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
ZYmEYYS.gif

I will say live-watching every week with the online fanbase was a funner experience that no other show has topped since except maybe GoT.
The Lost community on GAF was really something else. GoT probably had a similar week-to-week feel for me as Lost, but those threads were always supremely unfun to be in; the Lost threads were just a blast of freaking out during episodes and speculating in the weeks or months between new ones. I think the only TV OT communal experience that has felt as close to that was the Twin Peaks: The Return thread.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I was thinking the same thing, I really don't remember a lot of Lost very well.
I only watched it all like 8 years ago as a box set and I literally don't remember anything about a bomb at all. My memory of this show that stands out is the little guy with glasses who ended up doing person of interest, and then the big statue of a foot or something

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
The one thing that I dislike about Lost more than the season finale or the hydrogen bomb or any plothole is what it did to John Locke after his "suicide".

He was easily my favorite character. The iconic orange smile on the beach, the Walkabout-episode (which might be my favorite from all of the seasons of Lost) and his interactions with Jack and Ben are all some of my favorite moments on the show.

"Its never been easy."

And this.

Last edited:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
The one thing that I dislike about Lost more than the season finale or the hydrogen bomb or any plothole is what it did to John Locke after his "suicide".

He was easily my favorite character. The iconic orange smile on the beach, the Walkabout-episode (which might be my favorite from all of the seasons of Lost) and his interactions with Jack and Ben are all some of my favorite moments on the show.

"Its never been easy."

And this.

well, he wasn't actually John Locke afterwards, lol.
He had an insanely tragic end. Very fitting for the character, imo. But still, depressing. He was finally in a good place at the end of S4 and everything was taken from him almost immediately.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I went back and re-read the (enormous, unwieldy, probably not actually suitable for reading) six-season summary I wrote for Lost so I could explain to some other internet friends wtf the show was about. I apparently glossed over Juliet's revelation that the bomb needs to go off so she doesn't have to lose Sawyer; my guess is at the time it felt like a reasonable character moment. And in a lot of ways that's the story of Lost in a nutshell: a bunch of weird-ass shit that, if you buy into it and hop aboard the freight train, is likely to take you over a lot of rough patches and implausible plot developments. But as soon as you fall off the train, holy shit do you fall off the train. Suddenly everything is terrible and nothing makes sense.

For the OP specifically, I think you fell off the train when the bomb got introduced. And considering just how much shit is going on at that point in the story, I can't say I blame you. I thought season 5 was really neat and revitalized my interest in the series after a stretch where it felt like a whole lot of mostly meaningless busywork was going on, but it's also the season where stuff gets SUPER WILD in a different way from the rest of the show to date.

I unfortunately fell off the train somewhere in the last season, so when we got to the finale and it's a whole bunch of Hallmark moments where characters reunite and make out and shit before the final reveal, I was done.

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
How is Locke's death a mystery?
Ben murders him, and makes it look like a suicide, to manipulate Jack into going back to the island.

Pretty... straightforward.

I wasn't on Team Locke, but that death to me was incredibly shocking and still makes me uneasy how he went out.

It put people watching in a weird position because it either meant the death was real meaning it was one of the least consequential character deaths on the show or it meant it was a red herring and it meant we'd have to sit around waiting to figure out what the deal was.

For a guy that was so important in the early seasons, it was a lame way to go out.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Granted I was a kid when the show was airing but I absolutely loved LOST. I'm afraid to go back and try rewatching it

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
My buddy has never seen LOST or even knew what happens during it, so I wanted to try and experiment and have her watch it as a joke mainly, also to see if it holds up at all.

We are only a couple seasons in and it truly is a fantastic show at the beginning, like I'm stunned how well it holds up and how confidently/competently it is written and directed. Like I'm still on the edge of my seat and I know how it all turns out, they are masters of pulling you along and maintaining momentum.

Too bad it all implodes in on itself.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favourite things about Lost was the ARGs that ran between each season. So good, especially the one where you were collecting pieces of a video and investigating the modern Dharma Initiative.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
People have such a visceral reaction to this show because majority of it was good. The developed interesting characters and threw them into a survival situation with a slight paranormal (answered by weird science) setting. For the most part it was grounded in reality.

The backlash because the writers lied to the viewers all along about significant parts of what was going to happen. In interviews, live panels, documentary pieces, they told fans- oh yes, x, y, and z be answered.

All the mysteries in seasons 1-4, which could have simple been kept to DHARMA and the Others tapping into an unexplained power, with the goal of getting away from these crazies instead was bait and switched to be a religious purgatory allegory. That Jacob, a god like figure hand been torturing the main character and thousands people before them because he was looking for the right one to succeed him. Which ends up mentally destroying the man of science, Jack, into a crazy, sociopath murder. Which is even more "what" considering Jack was suppose to die in the pilot.

Using faith and religious allegory, they tried to cover up the fact that they for whatever reason wrote themselves into a corner with the Others and Dharma. The put numerous Checkoff's guns into the early seasons that they completely dropped in favor of a completely different premise. Which is absurd because their was so much fertile material their they could of crafted and ending with- it boggles the mind why they switched gears and eviscerated the story they had been telling for 4 seasons.

The end retroactive made the characters journey hollow. Nothing they did matter, cause in the end- none of them had free will. None of their choices mattered, because Jacob controlled them like pawns. The story ended up being Jacob and Smokey being similar to God and Lucifer playing with the life of Job.

The writers in the end not only tossed the mysteries into the bin, they made it that there is no point going back an watching the series as a whole ever again because the characters never will get a satisfying resolution.

Last edited:

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
As someone who hasn't watched Lost and thought it was just some island survival show:

The what?

Musouka

Dec 31, 2017
Well, at least I can tell myself they were all stupid and died in that blast and the series stopped there. No season 6 exists.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
I think I disliked Season 5 more than Season 6 somehow. I mean, if season 6 didn't have the finale, it'd definitely be worse than Season 5; I can't remember a single thing I liked about Season 5 and agree with the OP. It felt like a different show entirely with weird character motivations and choices.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
My buddy has never seen LOST or even knew what happens during it, so I wanted to try and experiment and have her watch it as a joke mainly, also to see if it holds up at all.

We are only a couple seasons in and it truly is a fantastic show at the beginning, like I'm stunned how well it holds up and how confidently/competently it is written and directed. Like I'm still on the edge of my seat and I know how it all turns out, they are masters of pulling you along and maintaining momentum.

Too bad it all implodes in on itself.

Yeah, especially based on the momentum of the first few seasons, LOST is still the most fun I've ever had watching a show. It absolutely falters in S5 and falls off a cliff in S6, but on the whole I still think of it very fondly.

Basically, I enjoyed it far more than I was frustrated by it, even if that ratio was getting increasingly skewed by the end.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It's wild that there are some people who go "see, we called that it was purgatory/the afterlife from the start!" despite the fact...it wasn't? That's literally not the story lol only the "Flash sideways" sections are the afterlife.

I liked the time travel stuff in Lost a fair bit at the time, and I think it more or less holds up. The last series was where the show really felt like trash though. So much time spent explaining that every loose end was Jacob also every origin story we had for the characters was actually Jacob and Jacob wants Jack to become Jacob but Hurley is Jacob and everyone is Jacob but nobody is Jacob and Jacob Jacob Jacob Jacob.

And while Jacob was an element in the previous seasons, it was abundantly clear in the final season that the choice to make him this god playing with the lives of men was a late addition as the show needs to spend an absurd amount of time making it clear that that is what is happening and tying him to every major event in the show in hamfisted ways to make him relevant.

TGR Sean

Nov 5, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Didn't read through the thread to see if this was mentioned, but my favorite part about Juliet causing the bomb to explode is that she became the reason why women couldn't successfully give birth on the island. It's been a while, but there's a scene with Rose and Bernard where she puts her hand on her lower stomach, indicating she was pregnant.

It's great because the mystery of impossible birth is why Juliet was brought to the island to begin with. It's one of the few answers they don't wag in your face, which I appreciated.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm still upset they never revealed who was shooting at them when they were on the raft during the time skips.

The Lost community on GAF was really something else. GoT probably had a similar week-to-week feel for me as Lost, but those threads were always supremely unfun to be in; the Lost threads were just a blast of freaking out during episodes and speculating in the weeks or months between new ones. I think the only TV OT communal experience that has felt as close to that was the Twin Peaks: The Return thread.

Lost threads were amazing when it aired, and I agree, TP:Return thread/discussions were the closest feeling since.

Emmz

Oct 28, 2017
Lost is the best TV show of all time, just finished re-watching it and it still holds up.

Just finished rewatching it for the first time in about 5 years. Still gets me in that final season.

The time travel plot is mostly pointless other than establishing character relationships. The explanation of Jacob and the MIB is stupid, nonsensical, poorly acted, and fails to give a satisfactory explanation to things that were, quite frankly never going to have a satisfactory explanation.

However, as a generally emotionally distant person, basically no piece of media manages to tug at my heartstrings like Lost does. There's a lot of shows that I like, a few that I love, but very few that hit me on an emotional level. And Lost, for all of its completely nonsensical plotting and horrible flaws, does accomplish that, and I love it for that. If saying that it was all about the journey and finding ourselves in the relationships we establish along the way is a cop out, then it's a far better cop out than most shows establish for themselves along the way.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Unpopular opinion maybe but I don't think Juliet's reason for supporting Jack's plan is out of character for her. Crippling insecurity was baked into her character from the start, she just grew a tough exterior after being brought to the island. Also, literally all she wanted for years was to leave and when she finally had the chance, she gave it up because all the craziness seemed to be over and it seemed like she and Sawyer had a thing blossoming. I don't think it's all that surprising that once her peace and her relationship became threatened after a few good years, it sent her into a tailspin.

Catalix

Oct 28, 2017
You're right, OP. Juliet's motivations always bothered me in that episode. The last second flashback of her parents' divorce was a weak attempt to explain away her dramatic flip-flopping. But it wasn't nearly strong enough of a reason for the life or death situation she was currently involved with.