• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

Who then benefited from the accumulated wealth of Scrooge and Marley? First Britain and then all mankind. Since Scrooge and Marley never consumed the wealth they created, its use was a gift to all. It funded the factories and railroads, the tools and jobs that fed and clothed millions of British subjects and then billions around the world. Their unspent wealth was of no use to them, but it was of sublime use to humanity.

Even as Dickens's Ghost of Christmas Present pulled back his robe to reveal the children who embodied Ignorance and Want, the wealth accumulated by Scrooge was already beginning the long drive that would do more to end ignorance and want than all the governments and charities that ever existed. Scrooge's wealth accumulation would have benefited far more people than anything he gave to charity after his reclamation, and many times more than government would have helped had they taken his wealth and spent it.

So on Christmas, as we celebrate the promise of human redemption and join in repeating Ebenezer Scrooge's famous pledge, "I will honor Christmas in my heart and try to keep it all the year," let us also remember the contributions that Scrooge and Marley and the wealth accumulators of our own age have made as "the founders of our feast."

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Here's my counter-argument:

throw-wreath-at-bean-bunny.gif

No person who does this against a cute, starving bunny can be defended.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Real people actually believe this, hence why the guillotine was invented.

This should tell you all you need to know about the authors:
Mr. Gramm is a former (Republican) chairman of the Senate Banking Committee. Mr. Solon is a partner of U.S. Policy Metrics.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
This is certainly a take. Imagine what Charles Dickens would think. "Oh, you mean you liked the guys who I wrote to explicitly be hated? How is that possible?"

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not understanding. How does it help anyone if they don't spend it?
The theory is that Scrooge was investing and building up businesses as he went. His profit-driven nature that led him to deprive his servant of a Christmas bonus and vacation and whatnot also drove him to reinvest most of his wealth into new businesses and ventures, creating jobs and driving the economy. And his frugality allowed his businesses to thrive where less ruthless capitalists might have failed, thus while his employees didn't have good wages, at least their jobs lasted.

Of course, while the jobs lasted, the employees might not have. After all, if they got injured, they'd be shoved out onto the street and replaced with the next schmuck.

This is certainly a take. Imagine what Charles Dickens would think. "Oh, you mean you liked the guys who I wrote to explicitly be hated? How is that possible?"
Pretty sure Tumblr fangirls were doing this since Tumblr was founded.

OP
OP
DrForester

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

So few people realize that A Christmas Carol was literally written as a social commentary. Dickens did it instead of just writing a political pamphlet. '

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
So few people realize that A Christmas Carol was literally written as a social commentary. Dickens did it instead of just writing a political pamphlet. '

Which is wild because it's not like it's some sort of deep allegory. It's pretty surface level lol. I mean:

"Business! Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, benevolence, were all my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!"

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
The story is literally Scrooge being a terrible person because he only cared about money being haunted by his dead colleague and 3 ghosts showing him the error of his ways. He hordes his money and chases off charity workers. He keeps Cratchit working through the holidays because it makes him more money. The ghosts straight up tell him he's an asshole and that when he dies everything he owns will get taken from him and no one will remember him.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I swear, every year some dumb conservative write a variation of the same dumb story.

It's not even the first time the WSJ ran an article with that title -
www.wsj.com

In Defense of Scrooge

The old miser in Dickens’s classic tale is just misunderstood. The real lesson of “A Christmas Carol” is the importance of receiving loads of fancy presents.

p.s.
scrooge.jpg

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like someone needs a visit from the Cybernetic Ghost of Christmas Past

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
WSJ opinion pages you say? Rich people hot takes you say? No way!

The type of trolling that gets people sharpening guillotines.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I swear, every year some dumb conservative write a variation of the same dumb story.

It's not even the first time the WSJ ran an article with that title -
www.wsj.com

In Defense of Scrooge

The old miser in Dickens’s classic tale is just misunderstood. The real lesson of “A Christmas Carol” is the importance of receiving loads of fancy presents.

p.s.
scrooge.jpg

They continually allow these op-eds because it generates clicks.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They continually allow these op-eds because it generates clicks.
100% true.
I generally think it's better to not boost troll shit that is obviously done for "engagement", but this crap, no one is getting persuaded by this, and I think it's good that those people show the logical conclusion of their wrapped world view from time to time.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Articles to make rich people feel better about being cunts to their fellow man... fair play, capitalism is clearly working as intended.

Rimon-Hanit

Oct 27, 2017
so it's
It isn't about being unwilling to contribute to society it is that the government shouldn't do it for us.
and also
Personal wealth accumulation is naturally the most effective form of altruism.
I hate when people associate contradictory stances to the same person just for similar political lining but I'm willing to bet it would be hard to find someone that holds one and not the other.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
wsj opeds are deliberately designed to be jokes meant to appeal to out of touch well off boomers while agitating everyone else for publicity and clicks

Sounds like someone needs a visit from the Cybernetic Ghost of Christmas Past
tumblr_mxq826lAOe1rawb5do1_400.jpg

"THOUSANDS OF YEARS AGO, before the dawn of man as we knew him, there was Sir Santa of Claus, an ape-like creature making crude and pointless toys out of dino-bones and his own waste, hurling them at chimp-like creatures with crinkled hands regardless of how they behaved the previous year. These so-called "toys" were buried as witches, and defecated upon, and hurled at predators when wakened by the searing grunts of children. It wasn't a holly jolly Christmas that year. For many were killed."

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
"The author of American Pshyco may have thought that Patrick Bateman was the villain but failed to realise how god he was at enlightening mankind by raising stocks with his investment advice."