• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
quarantine this man

on the other hand... movies got really popular during the great depression because high unemployment meant people had nothing else to do

True, but that was in an era before everyone could get 60" flatscreens with surround sound in their homes, as well as streaming. The rise of TV in the 60s sent cinema into a freefall that it has never really recovered from.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot of assumptions going around. Each day is literally unpredictable. Theaters closing predictions is like saying all restaurants, airplanes etc will also be closing. People WILL return to their routines. (After they been vaccinated)

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot of assumptions going around. Each day is literally unpredictable. Theaters closing predictions is like saying all restaurants, airplanes etc will also be closing. People WILL return to their routines.

people need to eat, people usually don't fly for leisure but rather for necessity. People don't need to go to a theater to watch a movie.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not even a star wars fan but if Disney released a movie that was literally about Thanos' anthropomorphic penis fighting Kylo Ren, I'd see it out of sheer morbid curiosity.

I would too, honestly. We all would. It would be the peak of the artform.

Hopefully in 2 years we're all still dying from Corona so you can get less Blockbusters.

Hey, just because I like smaller scale, auteur filmmaking doesn't mean I'm cool with people dying. I'm just envisioning what I'd like to happen if Hollywood has to evolve post-pandemic.

If it still isn't clear, I think people dying = bad.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's been hand wringing anxiety ridden articles about the death of cinemas since the invention of television. This is not gonna stop people from wanting to go to concerts and bars and nba games and movie theaters. The response to people being trapped in their homes isn't "let stay inside forever and forget the things we used to love". And there's no way in hell Tenet, Wonder Woman, Mulan, etc are gonna debut on streaming when most of their money comes from the box office.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's been hand wringing anxiety ridden articles about the death of cinemas since the invention of television. This is not gonna stop people from wanting to go to concerts and bars and nba games and movie theaters. The response to people being trapped in their homes isn't "let stay inside forever and forget the things we used to love". And there's no way in hell Tenet, Wonder Woman, Mulan, etc are gonna debut on streaming when most of their money comes from the box office.

It will mean that only the biggest, most spectacle-filled blockbusters are gonna get a wide release. I don't think even Oscar-bait will be getting into wise release soon.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
People went back to the cinema again in Hong Kong eventually after SARS. I think it will be quite emotional for some people who haven't been through SARS to go back to the threatre, to a football game after all this is over.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As I've said in past threads, I'm excited about the post-theater future. It will be a painful transition, but people will still want movies, the delivery will just be direct. We'll get to enjoy brand new releases on our nice OLEDs without teenagers texting and talking in front of us.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Hopefully this pushes the investment in internet services and digital distribution further. I absolutely would love being able to rent/buy new releases digitally instead of going to a theater or waiting. Other people make the theater experience awful and in the end $20 premium digital rentals end up being cheaper for me and my wife. We probably wouldn't have even bothered seeing Onward in theaters and then forgot it even existed later after it finally released digitally, but we bought it day 1 because of the convenience and it being something new from a studio we like.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
As I've said in past threads, I'm excited about the post-theater future. It will be a painful transition, but people will still want movies, the delivery will just be direct. We'll get to enjoy brand new releases on our nice OLEDs without teenagers texting and talking in front of us.

People won't want to pay for it though so something is going to have to give for that reality. Right now the movie business depends on multiple runs in order to generate their revenue. What you're suggesting is to remove one of those runs and hope that the revenue is compensated from the other means which isn't going to happen.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I should add that theaters won't entirely die. Big chains will, but I imagine at some point independent theaters will become like vinyl records. They'll be a novelty that the cinephiles will keep alive. Ironically, that will probably make the theater experience better, but the majority of movie-goers will switch to direct distribution. There is a lot of denial about this here on Era, which is confusing, but it's happening.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
If this lasts a couple more months, movie theaters are done right ?

No. If this continues commercial landlords will just defer lease payments until it stops. They don't want to not get paid, obviously, but they have no leverage because nobody else is available to move into the space. And it will cost a lot more to change the space into something else than it will to just ride out the pandemic and try to get back to normal after the worst has passed. Once the population as a whole accepts that this is the situation for a substantial stretch of time, you'll start to see this "pause the rent" attitude become more common among commercial leaseholders. Residential, that's another story.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like a pretty big overreaction. People (especially Americans) will be itching to get get back out to their regular lives, including theaters, the moment it seems even remotely safe to do so.

blast0rama

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
I appreciate the response of many here, but I guess the answer we don't have is: how do the movies get paid for?

The only streaming service which is "successful" is Netflix, and that's built on burning billions of capital.

How are you going to generate $2 Billion to pay for the $200 million+ movie in box office on streaming?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the response of many here, but I guess the answer we don't have is: how do the movies get paid for?

The only streaming service which is "successful" is Netflix, and that's built on burning billions of capital.

How are you going to generate $2 Billion to pay for the $200 million+ movie in box office on streaming?

You can't which is why this notion of eliminating theaters and now everyone gets it direct to their homes with no impact is living a fantasy. Hell, shouldn't the whole digital streaming services be a wake up call? People loved their Netflix for $10 a month with all you can watch because it was cheaper than cable but then shocked when everyone started introducing their own services. $10 a month for everything was never going to cut it. The same unrealistic expectations for direct to home movies needs to be realized at what you're asking for.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think we all understand that the industry is in for a rough period. Obviously you won't be able to replicate $1B grosses with $20 at home rentals. There will be growing pains and a period where AAA big-budget films will have to recoup costs in areas like merchandise (or more likely, will have to be made for $80M instead of $200M).

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I think we all understand that the industry is in for a rough period. Obviously you won't be able to replicate $1B grosses with $20 at home rentals. There will be growing pains and a period where AAA big-budget films will have to recoup costs in areas like merchandise (or more likely, will have to be made for $80M instead of $200M).

I don't think people do understand that. It's just like they didn't understand that cutting the cord for $10 a month was an unsustainable model. Going from $200M to $80M is going to have a huge impact on how a film is made too. People are not going to like the end results and they're not going to be willing to pay for what it costs to get the end results they want if you go streaming.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda feel the opposite

Like as soon as this shit is over business is gonna BOOM

Even if it's not safe or smart to do so, people are dumb

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda feel the opposite

Like as soon as this shit is over business is gonna BOOM

Even if it's not safe or smart to do so, people are dumb

Yes, and there will be a wide range of films that will potentially be readily available. Wonder Woman 84, Top Gun, Soul, Ghostbusters Afterlife, Black Widow, Mulan...

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck the theater, send it all to me DOD, I have an OLED and 5.1 home theater, I'm ready

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it was a crumbling system anyway. This quarantine just accelerated what was going to a slow, painful decline.
I didn't read the article yet, but last year we had a movie that broke all the records, and every single year we have a movie that grosses $1 billion worldwide, am I missing something that indicated cinema is in decline?

blast0rama

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
I didn't read the article yet, but last year we had a movie that broke all the records, and every single year we have a movie that grosses $1 billion worldwide, am I missing something that indicated cinema is in decline?

Overall actual number of tickets sold to the theaters, and the size of the box office in aggregate, versus adjusted numbers for the past, indicate an overall decline.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Overall actual number of tickets sold to the theaters, and the size of the box office in aggregate, versus adjusted numbers for the past, indicate an overall decline.

I'm not sure there's a clear decline though. These are the last five years of box office revenue:

2019 - $11,320,887,082
2018 - $11,889,341,443
2017 - $11,072,821,415
2016 - $11,377,080,039
2015 - $11,125,864,078

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
If this somehow kills the blockbuster era and we see a return to more modestly funded films that need less ROI and be more focused on streaming...

I want to believe there will be a Second American New Wave but I really shouldn't get my hopes up. It's more likely that things recover after a year or two and everyone goes to line up to see Thanos' dick fight Kylo Ren or some shit.

smug_pretentious_arrogant.jpg

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i always felt like you should be able to pay, like, i dunno, $30 or thereabouts to stream a theatrically running movie at home. and that was where the market was going anyway just a matter of if it's 5 years or 20 years later

i want to see theaters "survive", don't want to see livelihoods ruined, ect. but in 2020 i think the concept is kind of silly and perfunctory