• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Hollywood Reporter has published this article explaining how Hollywood is currently adapting to the current coronavirus pandemic crisis and is saying that "there may never be a return to normal" regarding a post-coronavirus Hollywood:

www.hollywoodreporter.com

As a Virus Upends Hollywood, There May Never Be a Return to Normal

With an unprecedented shuttering of the industry, major studios break the glass to deliver films on demand while some executives and artists take up a DIY ethos amid the downturn: "You have to adapt."

Long before a public health crisis closed exhibitors' doors, the audience's retreat from the theater to home video had driven both anxiety and opportunity at entertainment companies. But COVID-19 represents a watershed moment in the business, one that is accelerating current trends in media consumption and forcing Hollywood to embrace its digital future.

Desperation has driven studios to shrink the once sacrosanct 90-day theatrical window, a move some have been contemplating for more than a decade. At the same time, new streaming video services are drawing heavy investment, and though no company wants to be perceived as profiting from the disaster, streaming usage will be up 60 percent overall during the crisis, according to Nielsen. Gaming will spike 75 percent, according to Verizon. Internet demand is already so high in Europe that government officials there have asked Netflix, Amazon, Apple and Disney to reduce the video quality of their streams to lessen the burden on the continent's networks.

"COVID-19 will expand the gaps between those lagging and leading in the transition to digital distributions and business models," says venture capitalist Matthew Ball, former head of strategy at Amazon Studios. "OTT video services will surge, while pay TV loses its most valuable content — sports — and sees an accelerated decline in subscriptions and ad revenue. Parks and movie theaters are ground to a halt, while gaming companies hit new highs in usage."

The virus disaster, which has shut down production at virtually every entertainment company, also has exposed weaknesses, especially in those that carry a heavy debt burden, like ViacomCBS, Endeavor and theater chain AMC Entertainment, or those that rely on travel to theme parks and cruise ships, like Disney. Cowen analyst Doug Creutz has cut his earnings estimates for all the entertainment companies he tracks through 2022, slashing his price target for Disney from $159 to $101 and for ViacomCBS from $25 to $17.

Widespread layoffs are expected in an industry that had expanded to meet the demands of the streaming content bubble, with agencies including Endeavor and Paradigm already cutting staff and with UTA slashing employee salaries. The question for many in entertainment is how permanent these changes will be — will the industry rebound once the pandemic has passed and come to resemble its former self or will this crisis cement a new normal in Hollywood?

When Universal executives called Blumhouse CEO Jason Blum to discuss plans to make The Invisible Man available for home rental just three weeks into its theatrical run, along with another Blumhouse movie in theaters, The Hunt, "I was supportive of their decision," Blum says. "It was a very tough decision. In a time of crisis … you have to look forward. You have to adapt."

Universal had released Invisible Man wide in theaters Feb. 28 and made it available to rent March 20 at a cost of $19.99 in the U.S., narrowing the theatrical window to just 21 days. The $9 million movie, which had grossed $123.6 million worldwide before theaters closed, was the top movie on Fandango's VOD service over the weekend of March 20-22. Blum says Universal execs assured him their strategy is a temporary response to the crisis while making it clear that the Comcast-owned studio will be using the unplanned experiment as a way to learn what consumers will tolerate.

"Is the audience going to see it as, instead of going to the theater and all the costs associated with that, getting there, parking, popcorn, a babysitter if you have kids. … Are they going to say, 'Wow, this is a real bargain compared to that?' " Blum says. "Or are they going to say, 'What a rip-off. Netflix is $12 a month. I could watch a hundred movies.' No one knows the answer to that."

Universal's groundbreaking decision was followed quickly by Disney, Sony and Warner Bros. making similar moves, albeit offering their films for purchase, rather than rental, and by Paramount sending its April romantic comedy The Lovebirds to Netflix. Though the shifts were a response to a singular catastrophe, this change may reverberate long after the crisis has passed, as consumers, who can now watch fresh-from-the-theaters releases like Disney's Onward, Sony's Bloodshot and Warner Bros.' The Way Back at home, may come to expect such convenience.

The closure of theaters because of COVID-19 has provided an opportunity for studios to learn something about consumer behavior that they've been wanting to explore for years. In 2011, Universal attempted an experiment with its movie Tower Heist, proposing a plan to make the Eddie Murphy comedy available for home viewing three weeks after its theatrical debut at the rental cost of $59.99 to 500,000 people in Atlanta and Portland via Comcast's VOD system. Theater chains rebelled, threatening to boycott the movie, and Universal abandoned the plan. Now a crisis has inspired a similar test, in a moment when exhibitors have scant leverage.

National Association of Theatre Owners chief John Fithian told THR in a fiery interview March 20 that "exhibitors will not forget" what Universal in particular did during this crisis. While other studios delayed their tentpole releases rather than dropping them online — MGM pushed its James Bond movie No Time to Die, Paramount delayed A Quiet Place Part II, Warners rescheduled Wonder Woman 1984 and Disney postponed Mulan and Black Widow — Universal decided to release its DreamWorks Animation sequel Trolls World Tour, scheduled to arrive in theaters April 10, direct to home entertainment.

"Every other studio has demonstrated true partnership and belief in the theatrical model during this time of crisis," Fithian said. Universal did not respond to a request for an explanation of what drove the decision, but one person with knowledge of the studio's deliberations says much of the marketing money for Trolls World Tour had been spent and there were no appealing available dates on the calendar. "When is a good weekend?" says the industry source. "It's a clusterfuck. And it's obviously precedent-setting."

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it was a crumbling system anyway. This quarantine just accelerated what was going to a slow, painful decline.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Yeahh will be a long time before potential audiences regain their confidence to go to the theaters again.

Gamechanger.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just have to look at China that opened 200 cinemas and nobody went to go watch a movie, there was going to be more opening up but China closed them all again

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Too early to tell. Once vaccine is out, and everything is more back to normal, I don't see why people wouldn't go back to theaters.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Remember the last time this major happened, reality shows took over

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Cinemas will still be around, no doubt about that after people return to a largely normal way of life, but how productions are done will change to reflect the streaming age.

Smaller scale budgets and tighter control are more possible in my eyes, not ultra budget productions on the scale of Avatar or Star Wars. If it means a return to the adventure films of The Mummy and National Treasure I would love it. But that's not likely, instead we'll get some tripe with bad editing and EDM playing in the background.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Movie theaters will come back. Blockbuster flick business model is all around that, and blockbusters are never going away.

I wanna see Tenet, No Time To Die, and The Batman on the big screen. If the virus is still around, I'll buy up the chairs around me. It's a difficult experience to replace, movie theater with an audience.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I may be one of the few, but I can't wait to go back to the movies. I practically live there on the weekends.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
I feel like every journalist that has nothing to write about right now is doing these articles. Not to downplay the virus but I legit dont understand why the world is gonna permanently change in a post vaccine world.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm fine with having a home theatre and paying a premium on new straight to digital movie releases.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like every journalist that has nothing to write about right now is doing these articles. Not downplay the virus but I legit dont understand why the world is gonna permanently change in a post vaccine world.

Trauma of living through a pandemic + Global Depression = most people are going to be very careful about how and where they spend whatever extra cash they have.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Movie Theaters will always have a place, but I really wish they would release more movies digitally day and date. I get why they dont, Piracy is still a huge problem and would cut sales numbers drastically. But that just means they need to adapt and come up with ways to combat it.

Luschient

Oct 30, 2017
In 2011, Universal attempted an experiment with its movie Tower Heist, proposing a plan to make the Eddie Murphy comedy available for home viewing three weeks after its theatrical debut at the rental cost of $59.99 to 500,000 people

lol, can't imagine why that wasn't successful

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Too early to tell. Once vaccine is out, and everything is more back to normal, I don't see why people wouldn't go back to theaters.

I think even once corona virus is defeated, people are going to be scared for the next outbreak. We've seen SARS and corona virus rock china within a relatively close time span in our lives, and now everybody in the world has seen upfront what an outbreak looks like, so people will think the next viral outbreak is just around the corner. I think this could curb mass gatherings to a pretty big degree for at least several years.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's pretty obvious there are going to be big changes after this. It's only natural. This is a defining moment for humanity.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of experts say there just be a Covid season even with a vaccine, so we might be planning in the future to shut down for a month every year

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine being that guy coughing in a theater in March 2020.

I sort of have a year round cough all the time. Not hacking or anything, but I clear my throat pretty constantly. I think it was because I was a pack a day smoker earlier in my life, and even though I haven't smoked a cigarette in years, I think that's still why I clear my throat.

I know everybody is going to look at me going forward like an asshole, haha.

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like every journalist that has nothing to write about right now is doing these articles. Not downplay the virus but I legit dont understand why the world is gonna permanently change in a post vaccine world.

Feel like a lot of you are missing the point of the article. Yes life will return to normal at some point and people will return to theaters. But the current situation is forcing studios to adapt new distribution models centered around streaming.

They'll be getting raw data and numbers on audience consumption compared to the traditional model instead of projections.

When things do return to normal, it's very likely that a lot of studios will find out these new methods worked out better and not see a need to return to the old ways.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
If this somehow kills the blockbuster era and we see a return to more modestly funded films that need less ROI and be more focused on streaming...

I want to believe there will be a Second American New Wave but I really shouldn't get my hopes up. It's more likely that things recover after a year or two and everyone goes to line up to see Thanos' dick fight Kylo Ren or some shit.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
I go there all the time. It's fun.
quarantine this man

Trauma of living through a pandemic + Global Depression = most people are going to be very careful about how and where they spend whatever extra cash they have.
on the other hand... movies got really popular during the great depression because high unemployment meant people had nothing else to do. we may need to have ticket prices fall to get butts in seats though

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
If this somehow kills the blockbuster era and we see a return to more modestly funded films that need less ROI and be more focused on streaming...

I want to believe there will be a Second American New Wave but I really shouldn't get my hopes up. It's more likely that things recover after a year or two and everyone goes to line up to see Thanos' dick fight Kylo Ren or some shit.
Hopefully in 2 years we're all still dying from Corona so you can get less Blockbusters.