• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't get Little Dragon's Cafe. I love that genre but little dragon's cafe was so bad I actually stopped trusting Aksys as a publisher as they were willing to publish it and refused to address any of the numerous issues that game had, even just in terms of performance. It also has a really boring feedback loop—I gave it a solid 10 hours when I was bored. It doesn't get better.
Well that's kind of disappointing. It looked pretty cute from the trailers but if it's as bad as you say, I'm not sure I really want to spend the money on it. Thanks for the heads up.

ZedLilIndPum

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks everybody, you've really helped to narrow it down for me lol

I do like the Steam sale though because it reminds me I have an ok gaming laptop and the diversity of games on PC is unparalleled.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just snagged this but haven't played it for myself yet, supposedly one of the better somewhat below the radar horror games on Steam that I've seen on various lists over the years...

.I don't know that I would call Lisa horror. Thats exactly what it puts its characters through though.

Its a post apocalyptic RPG with some odd humor and a lot of darkness and tragedy. Its amazing.
Gotta be honest, I haven't played much of this yet but I'm impressed every time I thumb through the soundtrack. Shit's wild.

Last edited:

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
Streets of Fury EX is a really dumb game. I'm not really sure how else to put it. It's a ridiculously over the top FMV beat em up with crazy juggles, janky animations, and cancels everywhere. It's a ton of fun with a friend. I really can't say it enough, though: holy shit this game is stupid. And I love it. Somehow it plays really, really well. And there's a demo!

The devs (Guard Crush) went on to work on Streets of Rage 4.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Tactical rogue-like topdown-shooter with loads of build variety and weapons:
store.steampowered.com

SYNTHETIK: Legion Rising on Steam

SYNTHETIK is an unforgiving tactical shooter rogue-lite where freedom and experimentation is key. Fight in a world overrun by the Machine Legion and their Gods. Experience the next level in gun-play and dive into unparalleled build options and Android upgrades. Can you defeat the Heart of...

EA's strike series but with mechs and super-stylish Cyberpunk presentation:
store.steampowered.com

Brigador: Up-Armored Edition on Steam

Pilot a mech to hunt down and destroy the oppressive government of a cyberpunk autocracy. In this fast-paced, top-down-shooter, use overwhelming firepower to destroy columns of tanks and level buildings. Unlock up to 56 unique vehicles and 40 weapons.

Probably Supergiant Games most overlooked game. A mashup between visual novel, RPG and ... sports game. But don't be afraid, the sports part is super arcadey and fun:
store.steampowered.com

Save 80% on Pyre on Steam

Pyre is a party-based RPG from the creators of Bastion and Transistor. Lead your band of exiles to freedom through a series of mystical competitions in the Campaign, or challenge a friend to a fast-paced ritual showdown in the head-to-head Versus Mode.

Crazy turbo puzzler where you have to find creative solutions for problems in a few seconds. Stupid fun:
store.steampowered.com

McPixel bei Steam

McPixel ist ein Rette-den-Tag-Typ, den Sie durch 100 kleine Level führen und verhindern, dass irgendetwas explodiert. Sie haben nur 20 Sekunden, um den Tag zu retten! Denken Sie schnell!

Friendly reminder, that Octopath Traveler is available on Steam (and Xbox). I enjoy this game a lot. It doesn't have a great story or dungeons, but the battle system is fun and there is a lot of stuff to grind for (jobs, equipment, super bosses):
store.steampowered.com

OCTOPATH TRAVELERâ„¢ on Steam

Eight travelers. Eight adventures. Eight roles to play. Embark on an epic journey across the vast and wondrous world of Orsterra and discover the captivating stories of each of the eight travelers.

The best retro-inspired FPS. Also a work of art with sublime art style and music and some crazy later level designs.
store.steampowered.com

AMID EVIL on Steam

A retro FPS for the ages! Once branded a HERETIC. Now YOU have been chosen as our champion! Reclaim our sacred weapons. Take back our ancient lands. If you can stand... AMID EVIL.

The best alternative to Beat Saber:
store.steampowered.com

Dance Collider on Steam

It's your time to become a dance master and take down Uriel! Battle 9 of the best dancers from around the globe and compete on global leaderboards. Featuring 45 Songs by F-777 and a VR dance editor. Dance Collider is the ultimate dance and rhythm game.

Sword fighting first-person rogue-lite fitness game:
store.steampowered.com

Until You Fall on Steam

Fantasy and synthwave collide in this physically active VR sword fighting game. Grow stronger as you battle through an awesome neon environment and strike down magic-infused monstrosities in this hack-and-slash roguelite. Fight. Fall. Rise Again.

The best Diablo-like out there (even better than D2 and Path of Exile). Get the DLC with it, totally worth it:
store.steampowered.com

Save 75% on Grim Dawn on Steam

Enter an apocalyptic fantasy world where humanity is on the brink of extinction, iron is valued above gold and trust is hard earned. This ARPG features complex character development, hundreds of unique items, crafting and quests with choice & consequence.

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
You can't help but feel they only want to hurt you. But you know you must move forward. You must fight.

Some of the first words you see in Lucah: Born of a Dream. I'm not sure where to start with this, really. From a gameplay perspective, it almost plays like a 2D character action game once you get your moveset. From an aesthetic standpoint, it has a surreal feel to it, and a very angry, erratic and violent look. But what stuck with me most was its themes and story, and what this whole adventure is about. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll just say I love it very much.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/3669/Rusty_Lake_Bundle/

oZDonfr.png

ALOT of games for such a low price. Really awesome games.

Point and click, find objects, solve puzzles. Eerie, Twin Peaks esque weirdness.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington

This game is so goddamn good, it's a shame it was apparently not super successful.

The controls take a bit of getting used to, the default scheme reminded me of those EA "Strike" games from the 90's; however, the dev has updated the game a lot over time and so now there are several options to choose from to find something you're more comfortable with. Plenty of difficulty modifiers as well so you can tailor the experience to your liking.

Missions are pretty bite-sized, maybe 15-20 minutes on average if you do everything. I'll usually just play 1 or 2 at a time.

You are obligated to post the soundtrack at least. The soundtrack is INCREDIBLE And MandaloreGaming's excellent review.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
I got no idea how I had not ran into Mini Healer before this summer sale, but better late than never. It's ridiculously fun and seems to have tons of content despite still being in early access. It's essentially a single player game about being healer in MMO raid bosses.
In Mini Healer, you play as a healer of adventuring party, which also has a tank, a berserker and a ranger. You are tasked with keeping the party alive while they punch the bosses to death. In between the fight, you can invest talent points and equip loot which affects the entire party, and there is wide potential for different builds that don't only amplify your healing, but boosts other party members as well.

addyb

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure this is a 'hidden' gem but i always like to recommend this.
store.steampowered.com

Viscera Cleanup Detail on Steam

In Viscera Cleanup Detail, you step into the boots of a space-station janitor tasked with cleaning up after various horrific sci-fi horror events. Instead of machineguns and plasma-rifles, your tools are a mop and bucket. That hero left a mess, and it's up to you to deal with the aftermath.

Nucarn

Jan 15, 2020
Belgium
Just snagged this but haven't played it for myself yet, supposedly one of the better somewhat below the radar horror games on Steam that I've seen on various lists over the years...

This game made quite an impression on me, it's nothing extraordinary gameplay wise. It's a take on how earthbound plays, competent at that.

But what I loved about my time with it was for sure the characters, in particular the 'bad' guys. Most of them went through some messed up stuff.

I don't see the game as a horror game, but more like a psychedelic setting, difficult to explain. It can get into creepy territory but only because of the setting it is on.

What I also found quite interesting here were the really impactful choices that even affects the gameplay for the rest of the playthrough.

Overall I really liked this and definitely an interesting take on the earthbound formula!

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
So it looks like Cyberpunk is on sale. I'll probably wait for a further sale before dipping in, but was wondering if anyone with experience with the game knows whether CD Projekt Red fixed any of the glaring ai or visual bugs the game had at launch yet?

edit - sorry wrong thread

Last edited:

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass.

Earthbound but you can shapeshift and become a 1950s vampire or a bear. Also that whole "darkness lurking under the surface" thing.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone recommend some fun multiplayer or coop hidden gems to play with friends? PVP, PVE, or whatever doesn't really matter. (for at least 3 players)

By far some of the best same screen action I've played, honestly, the only complaint is that after 20+ hours of this really fun arcade game is that we've played through a very large portion of its content. Frantic fun! Some people admittedly did not enjoy at all how fast it can be, or how uh, mean the damage values can be.

Last edited:

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
The character design is kind of ehhhhhhh but The Vagrant is a surprisingly competent Vanillaware-style beat em up. Its base price is already stupid cheap, but it's really a steal at $1.59 imo.

Odin Sphere is one of my favourite games, so I'm interested in checking this out but LOL you weren't kidding about that character design 😬

Insomniac

Oct 27, 2017
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/3669/Rusty_Lake_Bundle/

oZDonfr.png

ALOT of games for such a low price. Really awesome games.

Point and click, find objects, solve puzzles. Eerie, Twin Peaks esque weirdness.

For anyone who gets in on these, there's also a couple free games in the series that are worth playing:

store.steampowered.com

Cube Escape: Paradox on Steam

The tenth Cube Escape follows the story of detective Dale Vandermeer who finds himself trapped in two different universes and needs to escape. Cube Escape: Paradox will be released together with the accompanying Paradox: A Rusty Lake Film.

store.steampowered.com

Samsara Room on Steam

You woke up in a mysterious room you have never seen before. Can you find another way out? Samsara Room is a remake of the praised predecessor of the Rusty Lake & Cube Escape series.

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
Monolith is a neat little roguelite. It's kind of Binding of Isaac as a bullet hell. Minus the poop. Pilot a little ship through rooms, picking up upgrades and a bunch of different weapons. Good music, neat aesthetic. If I had one dig against it, it'd be that there's not a huuuuge variety of drops, so it's more about just getting better at the game than the runs being wildly different from one run to the next.

Tangledeep is just a really solid roguelike. It's not necessarily doing anything super new, but it's doing everything really well. It looks great, it sounds great, and it plays great. Bunch of different classes and gear, so there's a lot of replayability.

Odin Sphere is one of my favourite games, so I'm interested in checking this out but LOL you weren't kidding about that character design 😬
Yeah, it's...pretty bad. I wouldn't fault anyone for writing the game off immediately because of it.

Last edited:

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I grabbed Nex Machina because of all the good stuff I've heard about it and it's definitely an overlooked gem. However in full screen I'm not seeing it run at high framerates despite metrics saying it is and also in windowed mode it is visibly running at high framerates. Easy to tell by how the bullets break up or flow smooth. Any ideas?

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I grabbed Nex Machina because of all the good stuff I've heard about it and it's definitely an overlooked gem. However in full screen I'm not seeing it run at high framerates despite metrics saying it is and also in windowed mode it is visibly running at high framerates. Easy to tell by how the bullets break up or flow smooth. Any ideas?
It's a known issue, there's a fix at the bottom of the PCGamingWiki page here:

btw, everyone in this thread should familiarize themselves with this site.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
You are obligated to post the soundtrack at least. The soundtrack is INCREDIBLE And MandaloreGaming's excellent review.

Yeah, Brigador soundtrack is absolutely god-tier.

Man what a killer game.

The Deluxe edition features 2 Soundtracks, 2 EPs and an audiobook.

Over 40 synth-wave tracks from Makeup and Vanity Set that absolutely shred.

Def. worth a few extra bucks.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
How do I do a Steam code/giveaway? I want to do a giveaway in this thread but I have no idea what to do for the "code" part.

Oct 26, 2017
Here's a mix of hidden gems, semi-hidden gems and forgotten gems.

I'm not sure the Creeper World series is THAT hidden... it kinda used to be, before the switch to 3D. Anyway here's Creeper World 4:

store.steampowered.com

Creeper World 4 on Steam

The unstoppable fluid enemy has returned and destroyed every world in its path! Defend against Creeper as it floods across the 3D terrain in this real time strategy game where the enemy is a fluid.

Hell Yeah!, a criminally underrated 2D platformer:

store.steampowered.com

Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit on Steam

A crazy action-adventure platformer... In Hell.

Atom Zombie Smasher, a forgotten abstract zombie tactical game:

store.steampowered.com

Atom Zombie Smasher on Steam

The zombie apocalypse is upon us and it's up to you to evacuate everyone before they fall prey to the undead. Conduct massive rescue operations with a helping hand from snipers, artillery crews, orbital bombardments, and more.

Tomb of Tyrants: a weird blend of match-3 and dungeon crawling:

store.steampowered.com

Save 70% on Tomb of Tyrants on Steam

Claim and defend the Tomb of Tyrants against greedy adventurers by matching tiles to build a deadly dungeon full of traps, minions, and more!

Quern - Undying Thoughts: I'm not sure if this game can be considered a hidden gem since it's well-known among Myst-like aficionados...

store.steampowered.com

Save 55% on Quern - Undying Thoughts on Steam

Discover the truth about Quern’s past, unfold the mysteries of its present, and be the explorer who shapes its future. Quern introduces reusable puzzle mechanics to the classic genre, making the player think about the game as a whole, and not just as a series of individual challenges.

For some reason Joe Danger is never brought up and oddly enough it has only 62 reviews on Steam.

store.steampowered.com

Joe Danger on Steam

Can you put the world’s most determined stuntman back into the limelight? Combo, boost and pull ludicrous stunts as Joe attempts to race his way back into the record books in over 100 eye-popping levels. Leap school buses full of screaming kids and pools of ravenous sharks! Dodge spikes and...

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
Fight'N Rage has some...questionable character designs, to say the least. But if you can get past that (won't blame you if you can't!), it's also one of the best playing beat em ups out there.

Friends of Ringo Ishikawa is kind of like River City Rampage if it focused on the story of a juvenile delinquent growing up and trying to find their place in the world.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
I haven't played it yet, but this has been on my wishlist for a while and I've heard good things about it:

I bought this game and really enjoyed it. Really neat small and compact story. Have to replay a few times to get all the achievements.

A few more recommendations.

Neat PS1 style horror game. Some of their other games are on their Itchio, and they have a demo for their new game which is also really good.

Collection of short horror games, really interesting.

Last edited:

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

Incredibly funny writing.

Striking presentation.

Pro-tip: In the opening, keep inspecting the bookcase in your room to unlock Walking Stupid book/perk. You have to then equip it. Worth the effort!

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Incredibly funny writing.

Striking presentation.

Pro-tip: In the opening, keep inspecting the bookcase in your room to unlock Walking Stupid book/perk. You have to then equip it. Worth the effort!

Fantastic game. Had zero expectations going in, but I ended up binge playing it over like two days.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

if you're into rougelite shooters like Immortal Redneck, Tower of Guns, ect this will be your next jam. the best feeling controls/gunplay i've experienced recently

is still in EA though

Aug 31, 2019
Somewhat of a side point, but remember that if you bought either of the two itch.io bundles you may own some of the indie recommendations already. This site makes it really easy to double check (some games listed in this thread are definitely in these bundles): https://randombundlegame.com/

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

last years GOTY. if you can handle a bit of jank and a bit of a wonky translation at times its an incredible anime xcom like with tons of systems. its so good.

This game would be much better with fewer systems. I enjoy it more than X-Com but I just find the amount of shit to pay attention to overwhelming.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
The best Diablo-like out there (even better than D2 and Path of Exile). Get the DLC with it, totally worth it:
store.steampowered.com

Save 75% on Grim Dawn on Steam

Enter an apocalyptic fantasy world where humanity is on the brink of extinction, iron is valued above gold and trust is hard earned. This ARPG features complex character development, hundreds of unique items, crafting and quests with choice & consequence.

0w4wolEm.jpg