• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 24, 2019
Back when the Summer of Arcade program first started, I didn't really have much awareness of what an "indie" game is or could be, and I tended to stick to AAA games.

However, Microsoft managed to gin up a lot of hype around these smaller games with this Summer of Arcade initiative. Releasing an annual wave of five radically different, yet cohesively-branded & well-curated experiences was a genius move, because if you really enjoyed one of the games, it encouraged you try some of the others as well. Plus, the added incentive of potentially winning Microsoft Points, a Gold subscription, or even a new console if you bought all the games for that season made it almost like a Battle Pass in our current lingo. It also might just be me being a weirdo, but the fact that it was a summer-themed event means that now I associate those games with really warm, positive experiences. Being on summer vacation, getting a break from the heat by retreating to my cool basement and hopping online with a bunch of my friends from school to try out Castle Crashers or whatever else was out. Good times :)

That of course also brings me to the most important thing: the games. So many of the Summer of Arcade games are so goddamn iconic and some of the all-time great indie experiences:

2008 gave us Braid and Castle Crashers
2009 had MvC 2, Shadow Complex, Splosion Man, TMNT, and Trials HD
2010 had LIMBO and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
2011 introduced one of the motherfucking GOATs with Bastion, alongside Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
2012 brought us Dust: An Elysian Tail and Deadlight
2013 wrapped things up with Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

It ignited a passion for indies within me, along with many of my friends. It felt like indies getting their big debut on the world stage. It was a joyful celebration of all these wildly talented creators and the amazing things that can be made when you stop focusing as much on AAA production values and strict bottom lines, and it was awesome to see everyone from one-man teams like Jonathan Blow to big publishers like Konami, Capcom, and Square Enix all taking part.

As fond as I am of games like Gears of War, Halo 3, Alan Wake, etc. in many ways it's the Summer of Arcade that I look back upon most fondly from my Xbox 360 days, and I hope that Microsoft revives it next generation.

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it was fun as an event to look forward to, but these days we get indie games as good or better than these on an almost weekly basis. Fun to look back on, but we're in a better spot now

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
A lot of good games, but I agree, the introduction of indie games as a concept to a larger audience, smaller games that can deliver experiences better than AAA games, was awesome. Braid still blows my mind to this day.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
It was great having a part of the year that seemed dedicated to a lot of people playing the same cool Indie games.

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
I mean, it was fun as an event to look forward to, but these days we get indie games as good or better than these on an almost weekly basis. Fun to look back on, but we're in a better spot now

I know, but I guess it felt like the indie scene was more tight-knit back then because of it, and it was fun having an event to look forward to rather than random drops. It's like how you can't beat the excitement of a big show E3, even though it makes more sense to just do small announcements and streaming events these days.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Yes it was!

With the free compulsory demos it was like a "monoculture of gaming".

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
Braid still blows my mind to this day.

I finally finished The WItness recently, and I genuinely think Jonathan Blow is a genius of some sort. His mind operates on a whole other level. They say that one of the hallmarks of genius is being able to communicate complex subjects in a digestible way to others, and the madman went and made a game totally based around that through totally abstract, nonverbal lessons... it's insane to me.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
What about Spelunky? Was that too early for Summer of Arcade?

Of the games on your list that's the one I still play. It's one of the few games I would describe as "classic".

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
When I played Limbo and Braid for the first time, my mind was blown. I fell completely in love with the style, the mood and the overall freshness of these games. They completely reignited my passion for video games because they reminded me of the wonder I felt when I discovered games as a child. It felt like the Amiga or SNES days again. And it wasn't just me. I showed these games to friends who fell out of gaming during adulthood and they bought an Xbox to play them.

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
What about Spelunky? Was that too early for Summer of Arcade?

Of the games on your list that's the one I still play. It's one of the few games I would describe as "classic".

It came out on XBLA around the time of one of the Summer of Arcade events from what I recall, but it wasn't included in one of the SoA batches

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
As a ps3 owner SoA made me consider buying a 360 far more than any AAA exclusive. It always felt like Sony was massively behind the curve at that time.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I thought Minecraft had been a part of Summer of Arcade but it was actually Arcade Next (another solid lineup of games) that took place right before that year's Summer of Arcade

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
It was certainly a good way to push Indie games back then. I like to think that we don't need it anymore because indies games are so prevalent now.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. This combined with 1v100 and XBL breaking out made it a good time for awhile. Now indie games like those are in abundance. Magic is dead to me.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
While I didn't take to indies so much during the 360 days, I truly appreciate what SoA did back in the day to get to the point where at least 80% of the games I play these days are indie or AA.

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
Yes. This combined with 1v100 and XBL breaking out made it a good time for awhile. Now indie games like those are in abundance. Magic is dead to me.

Ah man, 1v100 was so much fun, I was very pleasantly surprised by that. I also liked when they had that "theater mode" thing with friends on the Netflix app where you and your friends could all watch something at the same time and you'd see your little Xbox avatars in the row of seats chilling.

Xbox was so weird and experimental in those days, it was a lot of fun

VileZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maryland/DC
Summer of Arcade (and XBLA in general) was so great. I loved these small indie games (and ports of arcade games) that were generally shorter than your typical game but with a high level of replayabilty. I miss it, and the hype that came with it, greatly.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, good times. I know it was probably unfair to other games when some got way more limelight but the focus and curation for the event was top tier a lot of the time and some my favourite games. I think it really opened my eyes to indie games and I played a greater variety because of it that is a positive to this day.

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
Summer of Arcade was lowkey fire and a fun thing to look forward to ever year

Exactly. I also have to wonder if recent indie games like The Messenger, Katana Zero, Yoku's Island Express, Pyre, Ape-Out, etc. would have gotten a sales/publicity boost if they were part of a well-known and hyped event like SoA rather than just released randomly and overshadowed by whatever big games are out at the time

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
As a ps3 owner SoA made me consider buying a 360 far more than any AAA exclusive. It always felt like Sony was massively behind the curve at that time.

Sony tried their own version- I remember Payday was a part of it one year, and Journey was part of it another. They did a Vita version which was legitimately great- it had Sound Shapes.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Ah man, 1v100 was so much fun, I was very pleasantly surprised by that. I also liked when they had that "theater mode" thing with friends on the Netflix app where you and your friends could all watch something at the same time and you'd see your little Xbox avatars in the row of seats chilling.

Xbox was so weird and experimental in those days, it was a lot of fun

Wow I forgot about that. I remember watching a few movies that way too. Good times.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
OP missed one of the best of all time... Geometry Wars 2. That was my most played game last gen. I feel like playing it right now!