• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spiderhead

Banned
Aug 15, 2020
Canada

Not really sure what to say other than that this video explains so well on why I get so much enjoyment out of pre DLC Fallout 76, Generation Zero and Breath of the Wild. I like the feeling of being alone and taking in sites of a destroyed and forgotten world, while being surrounded by nature and taking everything in at my own pace.

Last edited:

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain

I don't think I've ever felt as alone and lost in a game as I did in Outer Wilds. It was terrifying, but also weirdly peaceful. I strongly recommend it to anyone who enjoys the thrill of everything around you being huge and unknown and overwhelming and having no idea why you're suddenly in outer space after falling through a wormhole while hearing your own heavy breathing.

Oct 27, 2017
God of War Greek Saga had a lot of this. The games sometimes take you into big holes underwater and lots of traps so it feels like you are very far from civilization.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think I've ever felt as alone and lost in a game as I did in Outer Wilds. It was terrifying, but also weirdly peaceful. I strongly recommend it to anyone who enjoys the thrill of everything around you being huge and unknown and overwhelming and having no idea why you're suddenly in outer space after falling through a wormhole while hearing your own heavy breathing.

Manages to whiplash effortlessly between whimsy and existential dread. Those times when you are in outer space without your ship anywhere nearby are horrifying.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

I can't stress enough how amazing this game is. Actually having to learn the solar system and figure things out was just truly sublime.

Getting lost can be one of the most amazing feelings in a video game.

My nomination and one of my all time favorite "getting lost" games:

morrowind.jpg

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, now that I think about it. I can't remember the last game that I played where I felt truly lost. Maybe Morrowind? I remember having to use the physical map that the game came with. It was such a cool feeling.

I need to stop using in-game maps or get rid of UI elements. I wouldn't mind recapturing that feeling.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California

Beautiful game, easily one of my favorites of all time.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's what makes the Metroid Prime games amongst my favorite action adventure games ever. OG Zelda games (pre-hand holding), were incredible and conveying that feeling as well.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil

Thinking about that spikey thing, Dark Bramble I guess, still has me feeling anxious and with shortness of breath. I almost couldn't handle it at all, but I perceived and finished the game.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Expected a Shadow of the Colossus mention but since it's not there, I want to shout out the fact that even if you've memorized the map in that game, the sense of wandering is never gone. And that's because of how anatopic the Forbidden Lands are. You're at a lush jungle and suddenly arrive at a desert in a flash.

Inside is the same. The trajectory of your journey doesn't make sense, and you'll traverse everything from farmlands, to the metro, to research facilities.

OP
OP
Spiderhead

Spiderhead

Banned
Aug 15, 2020
Canada
It's what makes the Metroid Prime games amongst my favorite action adventure games ever. OG Zelda games (pre-hand holding), were incredible and conveying that feeling as well.
Metroid Prime is my favourite game of all time, and that's one of the reasons why. I adore the environmental story telling in the game, and the atmosphere.

I really outta play this game. The "time limit" has me worried though too. I know it just resets back but it kind of scares me.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I remember watching this vid a few weeks back when it dropped and actually I just watched his latest on rage quitting just a few hours ago, also recommended, it's a good channel.
I was expecting something on the fun of getting lost in a more tense panicked sense like "where's a dang save room/bench/bonfire?!" but what I got instead also works
Shadow of the Colossus was probably the first game that had me reflect on the sense of peace a vast quiet space could offer via a video game, I'd echo the poster being surprised of its absence from the vid but I guess you can't cover them all (also Ico on a similar note)

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
3qrsum.png

SOTC or "Getting Lost: The Game"

Never encountered another game where exploration was so truly its own goal.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I don't remember feeling lost at all in OG shadow of the colossus. You had the sword ray and knew where to go. Morrowing tho. Never experienced such sense of exploration since that game. Breath of the Wild maybe?

Jan 10, 2018
Well there's a difference between being lost in a beautiful forest of Breath of the Wild and then being stuck deep inside a cave system in Outer Wilds that is quickly filling up with sand.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I never finished it, and I gotta finish it. Loved it.
The remake is incredible, despite the total failure to capture the emotions in Wander's facial expressions. Highly recommend it for your purposes.
I don't remember feeling lost at all in OG shadow of the colossus. You had the sword ray and knew where to go. Morrowing tho. Never experienced such sense of exploration since that game. Breath of the Wild maybe?
You're right the game does have reasonable way finding with the sword, but there were definite times I recall during my first playthrough where I was a bit lost, especially in the canyons in the southern part of the map. But it's more just the ability to "go get lost" in the world, the set off in a direction and find some new carefully curated piece of the world that exists for no other real reason than to explore it and soak it in. There's no reason to be galloping full speed on Agro's back through the surf on the "Ico Beach," but that doesn't make it less enjoyable.

To top it off, even the small rewards the game does give for exploration - the white tailed lizards and the fruit - are never even indicated to players as rewards/bonuses. I'm sure there are players that play through the game and never know they're there. So it is literally just through exploration and trial the player finds out about their (very real) benefits.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

The haunting peace of entering the atmosphere of Giant's Deep for the first time.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
The remake is incredible, despite the total failure to capture the emotions in Wander's facial expressions. Highly recommend it for your purposes.

You're right the game does have reasonable way finding with the sword, but there were definite times I recall during my first playthrough where I was a bit lost, especially in the canyons in the southern part of the map. But it's more just the ability to "go get lost" in the world, the set off in a direction and find some new carefully curated piece of the world that exists for no other real reason than to explore it and soak it in. There's no reason to be galloping full speed on Agro's back through the surf on the "Ico Beach," but that doesn't make it less enjoyable.

To top it off, even the small rewards the game does give for exploration - the white tailed lizards and the fruit - are never even indicated to players as rewards/bonuses. I'm sure there are players that play through the game and never know they're there. So it is literally just through exploration and trial the player finds out about their (very real) benefits.
I didn't knew about the lizards when I played the game. I learned about them a decade later. So at the time, exploring didn't seem to bring any reward. Of course you could just go anywhere randomly, but that's something I can now appreciate as an adult who like contemplative stuff. At the time, I was like 16/17 and needed a new weapon or a stack of gold at the end of a stretch of land or it wasn't worth it! I should play the remake, see how I experience the game now !

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I used to love getting lost in games, but these days it just gets on my nerves for the most part, not as much time and way more games to play means I want to go from start to finish quickly. It's still fun every once in awhile though.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
This just came out and is EXACTLY what the OP is talking about. It's the most Morrowind kind of world exploration I've played since. The maps are scrawled by goblins and require you to use the environment to figure out where you are on it (no player tracked marker - need to ID a landmark or town to regain your bearings).

www.resetera.com

Tenderfoot Tactics |OT| The Joys of Exploration and Strategy OT

Platform(s): PC (Windows, Mac, Linux) Release Date: October 21st, 2020 Genre: Strategy RPG Price: $24.99 (Launch discount available) Player(s): 1 Format: Digital Developer: Badru, Michael Bell, Isa Hutchinson, Taylor Thomas, Zoe Vartanian, Madison Pathe Publisher: Ice Water Games Size: ~1GB...

095DAEF6F1221F8F594D31476A48A4D10333E57D

4C8A59B3E695E13646438E3B3ED72C09850E7222

3a326ee7c0591ca5ad31c2e79db0e430676d9488.jpg

OP
OP
Spiderhead

Spiderhead

Banned
Aug 15, 2020
Canada
This just came out and is EXACTLY what the OP is talking about. It's the most Morrowind kind of world exploration I've played since. The maps are scrawled by goblins and require you to use the environment to figure out where you are on it (no player tracked marker - need to ID a landmark or town to regain your bearings).

www.resetera.com

Tenderfoot Tactics |OT| The Joys of Exploration and Strategy OT

Platform(s): PC (Windows, Mac, Linux) Release Date: October 21st, 2020 Genre: Strategy RPG Price: $24.99 (Launch discount available) Player(s): 1 Format: Digital Developer: Badru, Michael Bell, Isa Hutchinson, Taylor Thomas, Zoe Vartanian, Madison Pathe Publisher: Ice Water Games Size: ~1GB...

095DAEF6F1221F8F594D31476A48A4D10333E57D

4C8A59B3E695E13646438E3B3ED72C09850E7222

3a326ee7c0591ca5ad31c2e79db0e430676d9488.jpg

That looks neat, don't have a PC to play on, so I'll hope for a console release.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
My nomination and one of my all time favorite "getting lost" games:

morrowind.jpg
Getting lost in this game was a highlight of 2004 for me (GOTY version on Xbox).
I used to pick a location with that awesome physical map it came with, and then try to go find it in game. Often getting lost and discovering something else on the way, sometimes getting stuck in a weird location being attacked by cliffracers and trying to find somewhere to hide. It was magical.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Getting lost in this game was a highlight of 2004 for me (GOTY version on Xbox).
I used to pick a location with that awesome physical map it came with, and then try to go find it in game. Often getting lost and discovering something else on the way, sometimes getting stuck in a weird location being attacked by cliffracers and trying to find somewhere to hide. It was magical.
I'm STILL finding new things in Morrowind!

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe

Such an amazing game. That feeling I got when things started to come together on the Sun Station was unlike anything I've ever felt in a game before. The satisfaction of figuring out some of its secrets is unmatched. Really a remarkable game.

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017

Not really sure what to say other than that this video explains so well on why I get so much enjoyment out of pre DLC Fallout 76, Generation Zero and Breath of the Wild. I like the feeling of being alone and taking in sites of a destroyed and forgotten world, while being surrounded by nature and taking everything in at my own pace.

Have you ever played the first Unreal, OP?

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
i never really felt lost in any game other than in Hollow Knight and i fucking hated it.

in BOTW you're never lost.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
One of the reasons I prefer Dark Souls 1 over the sequels. You don't have fast travel for the first half of the game, so if you are knee deep in the bottom of the swamp in Blighttown (or even worse, Ashen Lake) you know you have to arduously crawl your way back into the surface. So now you are stuck in this horrible, dreadful, hostile shithole and you know that you have no choice but to press forward.

It feels like a journey into an abyss and none of the subsequent From games managed to capture that since teleporting back to safety is always a couple of button presses away.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Elder Scrolls is the best for this, and probably why there isn't a lot of competition in that space. It takes a lot of resources to make a world really explorable. Half the fun of Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim is deciding to go to someplace you see in the distance and then looking back and seeing a sweet view. It's satisfying. Like doing the finger of the mountain quest in Oblivion where you climb a tall mountain, or reaching High Hrothgar in Skyrim. Skyrim was pretty good in this regard for dungeons (Oblivion had terrible copy paste dungeons). I remember walking around and finding the pirate cove beneath Solitude and spending a good hour looking around in there, or finding your way into Blackreach and being drawn to the giant fake sun.
Morrowind was on another level with the journal directions, and I hope they bring that back it adds a lot to immersion and engagement. I remember getting lost looking for some tribe to talk about the Nerevarine and looking at my map and journal thinking like shit where did I turn wrong?

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shadow of the Colossus is the perfect game for this feeling.

Alone, not sure of what happened to this destroyed land, just you and your horse... and a couple of mysterious giants.

The lack of music while traveling and hearing the wind and stomping of your horse adds so much.

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
I remember being a little too young to beat Ocarina of Time without any help and I never grabbed the strategy guide. But I still remember the joy of aimlessly wandering around each zone and the rush that would come from seeing a new dialogue box or cutscene. Back when 3D adventure titles were a new genre, I can't remember anything more impactful on my taste in games than OoT.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I made a thread with a similar concept to this a short while ago and people came in with some outstanding suggestions:

A Wanderer in a Strange Land

• No Man's Sky
  • Hollow Knight
  • Dear Esther
  • Breath of the Wild
  • Death Stranding
  • I Am Alive
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • Subnautica
  • Death Stranding
  • Fez
  • Soma
  • Observer
  • Another World
  • Heart of Darkness
  • The Outer Wilds
  • Hellblade
  • Myst
  • Ico
  • Elite Dangerous
  • SnowRunner
  • Tacoma
  • Hardspace Shipbreaker
  • GRIS
  • Rain World
  • What remains of Edith Finch
  • Skyrim (shallow AF but you can get lost in the world exploring with the great ambient soundtracks courtesy unfortunately of a sexual predator)
  • Metroid Prime
  • Pathologic 2
  • The Void
  • This War of Mine
  • Kentucky Route Zero
  • Pyre
  • Where The Water Tastes Like Wine
  • Sunless Seas/ Skies
  • A House of Many Doors
  • Anodyne 2
  • Beeswing
  • Fallout 3
  • Other Waters
  • Blasphemous
  • FAR: Lone Sails
  • Paper Beast (VR)
  • Samorost 3
  • Vane
  • King's Field
  • Morrowind
  • Darkwood
  • Ashen
  • Betrayer - an atmospheric FPS with horror elements.
  • Yume Nikki - a classic. (Also YUMENIKKI -DREAM DIARY- for the modern take.)
  • Strange Telephone - exploration game inspired by Yume Nikki.
  • NaissanceE
  • Disco ELysium
  • Panzer Dragoon Saga
  • Moon: remix RPG
  • Journey
  • Darksiders series
  • Fashback
  • Control
  • Souls Reaver 1/2
  • The Witness
  • Devil May Cry 2
  • Firewatch
  • Phantasy Star Online
  • Minecraft
  • Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

Not all apply specifically to this, but there'll definitely be overlap.

spiel

Oct 28, 2017
Yes to the Hollow Knight mentions. The exploration in it was satisfying without being unfair. I love that the game doesn't hand you the map to the area right away, you have to look around for Cornelius. You're always uncovering the map bit by bit, hoping for the next bench to give respite and to save your progress.

I've been playing Raft recently and felt so very alone floating in the vast expanse of the ocean. It's lovely.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Subnautica, especially when you start to venture into waters so deep you can't see the bottom.. then you dive down and can't see the surface

Oct 27, 2017
Being lost in BOTW was one of the best feelings. It wasn't even necessarily with the expectation of finding an item or anything, it was just me enjoying the scenery and environments.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
While I think the video went on a bit too much of a tangent on it, this concept is exactly why games like BoTW and Hollow Knight are the best when it comes to organically exploring an open world and letting you get lost. People who want a typical grid-based automap simply don't get it.