• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't really think of any actual twists in the show aside from...
Abigale not being a ghost

One twist

Luke was actually telling Steve the truth when he said that it didn't look like what it looked like.

Also, one thing I didn't like about the show that sort of screws up the whole series

Sherly kept seeing the ghost of a dude that is still alive...

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man.

That jump scare with Shirl and Theo driving got me. I really love Hugh trying to connect with his kids and him finally getting somewhat through to Steve is great.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Also, one thing I didn't like about the show that sort of screws up the whole series

Didn't Steve say that ghost were guilt and regret as well. Like sometimes the house would send actual ghost after the Cranes but a lot of the time it just sent stuff to fuck with them.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One twist

Luke was actually telling Steve the truth when he said that it didn't look like what it looked like.

Doesn't screw anything up. It reinforces central themes of the show.
The fact that not all ghosts we carry with us are supernatural is an important aspect of the material, the reveal with Shirley and her 'ghost' was perfect. She's not haunted by the house, she's got bigger things in her life that haunt her. Something far more real even if it is simultaneously 'less' real. The entire point of The Haunting of Hill House is the blur between what is real and what isn't, what is in our heads vs what isn't. The show, like the 90s movie, takes a relatively hardline turn where it says 'yes, this definitively happens' while the book does not, but the show is still VERY heavily influenced by the aspects of mental health and sanity. For instance, I think it'd hard to walk away from the show and think that Olivia is a completely well woman that was just driven insane because of the house. Even in death she suffers some series mental breaks, which did NOT happen to Nell for example (who was just haunted by literal ghosts). Lindsay's ghost is a good reminder of how real life can haunt you too.

Jeramii

Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, UT
My wife and I were absolutely in love with this show... However,
the show went a direction my wife and I were both disappointed in -- perhaps based on the source material, I don't know. The narration on the last episode was a cringefest. I wanted the plot to end as dark as the story felt it was building up to be. I wanted an end as powerful as when the one sister found out that she was the bendneck lady. Instead, I could barely stay awake for the ending because the last two episodes had to get all cheesy and explain things away. It's a damn shame.

Also, this thread title is a lie. Ash Vs Evil Dead and The Exorcist TV series were both great.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Loved the show, except for the ending
I don't like how it basically just went to happy ending mode. The first few eps set this up to be one creepy as show. It ends up as... actually the house isn't that bad... you can basically live forever, and if you drop of loved ones you can revisit them after they die. I would have much more prefered it to be a lot more sinnister. I mean they built up that last night so much. But nothing creepy really happened, the mum just lost her mind and tried to poison the kids. I wanted to see some serious spooky shit.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
As someone that has suffered from sleep paralysis over the years (haven't had it in ages thankfully and it never got to the hallucination part, although dreams most certainly "bleed over" and you actually KNOW you're dreaming but atbthe same time you can see your bedroom, it's fucked up), episode 6 was super uncomfortable :(

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like how it basically just went to happy ending mode. The first few eps set this up to be one creepy as show. It ends up as... actually the house isn't that bad... you can basically live forever, and if you drop of loved ones you can revisit them after they die. I would have much more prefered it to be a lot more sinnister. I mean they built up that last night so much. But nothing creepy really happened, the mum just lost her mind and tried to poison the kids. I wanted to see some serious spooky shit.

Idk what they have in store for season 2 but not at least delving into the house itself made it seem like the ending we got was inevitable as the last few episodes were leading up to it. When the red haired lady showed up I thought they would start to pick away at the past history of the house but they never went there. There was even a mention of a husband as well as several other family members of hill house past but they didn't seem to want to explore that angle. In the end what we got was "Time is a flat circle but not really and love conquers all but oops we died in this house so we're stuck here so did we lose or win. Fuck if I know."

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Oh so this show is good?
Finished ep 6 yesterday and it's a firm "yes" from me. I can't speak for future episodes, but I will say the scariness kinda fizzle out when you realise it's always the same type of scares; they're kinda one-note. But the story and central mystery and characters keep me interested.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland

Apparent original alternate ending
when the surviving Crains are together celebrating Luke's sobriety we were originally supposed to see a window to the red door in the background to suggest they all hadn't got out of the house at all. https://www.google.com/amp/collider.com/haunting-of-hill-house-alternate-ending/amp/

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Apparent original alternate ending
when the surviving Crains are together celebrating Luke's sobriety we were originally supposed to see a window to the red door in the background to suggest they all hadn't got out of the house at all. https://www.google.com/amp/collider.com/haunting-of-hill-house-alternate-ending/amp/
I kind of wish they would have done that, but kept it really subtle so when you notice it you're unsure and have a "no...." Moment. The ending was so tonally different than the 10 hours preceding it that I really don't think it worked.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My audio cuts out off and on with this show. I don't experience this with any other Netflix show

Jindrax

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I kind of wish they would have done that, but kept it really subtle so when you notice it you're unsure and have a "no...." Moment. The ending was so tonally different than the 10 hours preceding it that I really don't think it worked.

Yeah I agree, the tone shifted too dramatically.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just started watching this, finished 2 episodes last night

really enjoying it. they do creepy and tension so good and there haven't been any cheap scares. I think I can tell where the story's going and I'm definitely interested in the angle that they've set up. it's really neat. all the actors are really good as well. the mother is particularly captivating and the two young girls have done a really good job. also the flashback dad is the perfect amount of weird. great show so far, would've kept watching if it wasn't so late last night.

KamalaHarris

Oct 28, 2017
Last edited:

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
We binged this over the weekend and it's fantastic. Very powerful and touching moments that spoke to me as a parent.

bill crystals

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thru episode 5 now. This show is....boring. I dunno none of the emotional/family moments are really hitting for me, the characters and scenarios just seems so generic and trite. A few of the ghosts have been extremely well done from a design standpoint (bowler-hat man I'm looking at you) but for the most part the scares are like a PG version of the Conjuring. It somehow relies on like 90% jump scares but still manages to be pretty tame.

Well done for what it is but it's really not doing it for me.

Oct 2, 2018
Great 1 seasoner. I dont think this can come back can it?

Wonderfully acted and I liked the creeping dread and mike flangan understands how to do dread. Some of the earlier hill house episodes were creepy with 1 stand out jump scare

its a jump scare but damn, if the nelly in car jump scare didnt shock

they nailed the casting on this one. Everyone was right. From the adults to the kids. Young theodora was great.

Onto Ep 7. 6 was great and those 1 takes! Whew!!!!

just want to add

that the male house servant person - suddenly

had this immense long and extremely well acted monologue when he was talking to the dad about the experience of his mum and hill house
which totally came out of nowhere and made me go "oh wow" at the tv.

necrosis

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
finally finished the series yesterday

it took me a little while to completely process the ending, but the more i think on it, the happier i am with it. the crain family may have largely gotten a happy ending, but the ending as a whole didn't mirror that, no matter how upbeat it seemed at a glance. this is because the house still stands, and as the dudley family illustrates, still eats. and while the reunion of hugh and olivia may have seemed sweet, it's important to consider that this too was another instance of the house ingesting one of its inhabitants. hugh died not naturally, but as a sacrifice

the house is corrupting and dangerous, and while the survivors of the crain family may have escaped its influence, they did nothing to diminish the threat it poses to others

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Just finished the series, was a great ride and one became one of my favorite Netflix original shows. I believe i have everything pinned down, nevertheless one thing that is still not clear to me and want to discuss:

I understand that the house in haunted since its inception and nobody knows why and no reason is given in the show. But, it's Poppy Hill the actual evil in the house and the one who killed all the other people/ghosts living the there? is she the only evil spirit in the house who corrupted the others or is she a representation of the evilness of the house?

Also, Why some ghosts look gross and decayed but the Craine and Dudley's ghosts look just fine and happy?

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

For me, that definitely felt a little out of place, especially considering all the horrifying reveals of what the other characters had been seeing, and
we see hers in the season finale and it's just...a guy she cheated on her husband with once
. It's a little ho-hum, all things considered, but didn't really break the movie for me, since the House haunts every one a little differently based on their shame, guilt, fear, etc. Shirls' pride is what it targeted.

that the male house servant person - suddenly

had this immense long and extremely well acted monologue when he was talking to the dad about the experience of his mum and hill house
which totally came out of nowhere and made me go "oh wow" at the tv.

Same. Wish he'd gotten more material after seeing that.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Unto episode 7 and loving it so far
Too bad that Ive been watching it alone, my girlfriend doesn't do horror lmao
I've been pretty damn spooked during every episode so far

necrosis

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the series, was a great ride and one became one of my favorite Netflix original shows. I believe i have everything pinned down, nevertheless one thing that is still not clear to me and want to discuss:

I understand that the house in haunted since its inception and nobody knows why and no reason is given in the show. But, it's Poppy Hill the actual evil in the house and the one who killed all the other people/ghosts living the there? is she the only evil spirit in the house who corrupted the others or is she a representation of the evilness of the house?

Also, Why some ghosts look gross and decayed but the Craine and Dudley's ghosts look just fine and happy?

i understood poppy to be an exceptionally malevolent entity within the house, but to answer your question, i think it was left ambiguous (perhaps intentionally)

the ghosts seem to be able to appear to others as they wish; poppy alternates between her fleshy and decayed appearances during one of olivia's interactions with "the twins" in episode 9, for example

the house itself can also manifest imagery to lure people inside or make them complacent once they're there. this has been shown to include people ("the twins"), so, that's also a possibility

For me, that definitely felt a little out of place, especially considering all the horrifying reveals of what the other characters had been seeing, and
we see hers in the season finale and it's just...a guy she cheated on her husband with once
. It's a little ho-hum, all things considered, but didn't really break the movie for me, since the House haunts every one a little differently based on their shame, guilt, fear, etc. Shirls' pride is what it targeted.

it seemed a little weak to me too but, in retrospect, i think a lot of that can just be attributed to
her relatively tame experience in the red room. comparatively, i would argue that shirl cheating on her spouse is worse than steve hiding his vasectomy, for example

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me or do the colours change very subtly sometimes in certain scenes? Like it goes brighter or darker ever so slightly in the same scene sometimes. Happens like a few times per episode. Not sure if it's the show intentionally or a setting. Watching in HDR 4K KS8000

Deleted member 16609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
Is it just me or do the colours change very subtly sometimes in certain scenes? Like it goes brighter or darker ever so slightly in the same scene sometimes. Happens like a few times per episode. Not sure if it's the show intentionally or a setting. Watching in HDR 4K KS8000
Yeah during certain panning angles I peep. But I'm still not 100% sure myself. But the damn camera angles get to me. I'm like "what eerie shit I'm going to see now" Really digging the show and the audio.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Does this show have any relation to the movie with Liam Neeson/Zeta Jones besides being based on the same book? spoiler safe pls..

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does this show have any relation to the movie with Liam Neeson/Zeta Jones besides being based on the same book? spoiler safe pls..
I mean, that's the relation. There are characters with the same names or clearly pulled from those characters in the book, there are evocative elements, but the plot is completely different. Non spoiler version: it's about a family, rather than a doctor conducting a study.