• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
It's actually how Flanagan viewed it:

Which is weird because this is one of the few "It's really a long movie!" (lbr, they all say that) shows that actually has episodes that are distinctly identifiable as such - they're not just all mushed together in a vague shapeless form, to the point where they all blend together so you can't even remember anything in particular about any individual episode (as is the case with most Netflix shows).

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Which is weird because this is one of the few "It's really a long movie!" (lbr, they all say that) shows that actually has episodes that are distinctly identifiable as such - they're not just all mushed together in a vague shapeless form, to the point where they all blend together so you can't even remember anything in particular about any individual episode (as is the case with most Netflix shows).

I agree, even about two or three weeks removed, I remember episodes distinctly and individually. It's becoming the way to create seasons more and more, but this show benefits from its episodic and POV-driven story.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Nice ending to episode 1, really liked the first episode with the past/present narrative and I'm super intrigued to see where this goes.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched a bunch last night and it is excellent.

My wife won't watch it because ghosts scare the shit out of her. :-\

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finishing up episode 6 today (fiancee had to run an errand and won't let me finish the last eight minutes lol), but yeah, I'm really enjoying this show.

It's not perfect--the performances sometimes aren't there and the show is very much a melodrama (not an inherently bad thing for me) and mostly lives up to it (almost every episode, after the first few, has a showpiece dialogue/monologue scene for a central character).

Like, Michiel Huisman. For the life of me, I cannot decide if this guy is acting just right or if he's complete dogshit. I didn't really like him in GoT, but I really enjoyed him in The Invitation. The strange and somewhat false way he displays sincerity was perfect for that character, and I guess it makes sense for his asshole character here too?

MoonScented

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The first episode almost put me to sleep. Does it get better? I also felt like some of the acting was a bit iffy... could be the writing though.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Watching 4 right now
Fuck the tall man with the stick hovering...

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Alright, I hate to be that guy. I just scanned the thread and it looks like this might be a first.. I must be watching something entirely different.

This show is generic as fuck. The acting/writing ranges from terribly clunky to passable.. there is nothing remarkable about anything that I've seen in two episodes (besides a cool series intro). This feels like a piece of entertainment from 2002.. as if the last 15ish years of horror didn't happen. Weird, close up CGI jump scare transitions (ie screaming faces morphing into zombies/demons, close up of demon kittens with white eyes), entire scenes built as cheap jump scares, cliched "creepy" music. There were multiple times when I ended up inadvertently laughing. I watched with somebody else (who also watches horror consistently) who had the same reaction. I'm surprised this is the same dude who directed Oculus, because I really enjoyed that movie.

I want to like this show, and I'm glad others are enjoying themselves. But it was painful to make it through two episodes and I cannot watch anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just about to finish episode 5 and
Dr. Jacoby Russ Tamblyn as Nell's therapist is perfect casting. I know he was in the first adaptation back in 1963 so it's cool to see him pop up in this.

Really enjoying the show, but I also have enjoyed pretty much everything Mike Flanagan has done so I'm not too surprised by that.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Alright, I hate to be that guy. I just scanned the thread and it looks like this might be a first.. I must be watching something entirely different.

This show is generic as fuck. The acting/writing ranges from terribly clunky to passable.. there is nothing remarkable about anything that I've seen in two episodes (besides a cool series intro). This feels like a piece of entertainment from 2002.. as if the last 15ish years of horror didn't happen. Weird, close up CGI jump scare transitions (ie screaming faces morphing into zombies/demons, close up of demon kittens with white eyes), entire scenes built as cheap jump scares, cliched "creepy" music. There were multiple times when I ended up inadvertently laughing. I watched with somebody else (who also watches horror consistently) who had the same reaction. I'm surprised this is the same dude who directed Oculus, because I really enjoyed that movie.

I want to like this show, and I'm glad others are enjoying themselves. But it was painful to make it through two episodes and I cannot watch anymore.

I'll say that the show didn't really click until 3 to 5, with 5 sucking me into a binge. I've finished it. Is it 100% original? No. But it was entertaining and intriguing.

It doesn't really depend on jump scares, there's only a few and one major one that sticks out.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'll say that the show didn't really click until 3 to 5, with 5 sucking me into a binge. I've finished it. Is it 100% original? No. But it was entertaining and intriguing.

It doesn't really depend on jump scares, there's only a few and one major one that sticks out.
There were like 5-6 jump scares in the first episode alone, that I can remember.. and they weren't minor ones. One thing I hate is when a scene is leading up to one then just transitions. It's just incredibly lazy.

I would like to continue if it does get better but man was EP1-2 unimpressive.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
There were like 5-6 jump scares in the first episode alone, that I can remember.. and they weren't minor ones. One thing I hate is when a scene is leading up to one then just transitions. It's just incredibly lazy.

I would like to continue if it does get better but man was EP1-2 unimpressive.
just continue, if it doesnt get better for you with 3 and 4 then its not for you

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

It's ok, I agree with you. I forced myself to watch 3 episodes. 3 isn't any better.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
That was kinda weak.
This is more of somber drawn out family drama than a horror show, they just sprinkled horror elements here and there.

In terms of general horror tone Channel Zero is much better, especially visually. Butcher's Block was excellent.

Oct 26, 2017
Thats one of my favourite things about the first 5 episodes, the suspense that leads to nothing is what it feels like to be the characters.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
yo this show is fucking dope

reminds me a lot like It (I assume this is an often made comparison)

Just finish ep 4 but i want to know that
Will they(+some people )go back the house again ?

same ep

heck yeah you know they're going to!!

also thats just a guess

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't feel that way to me. It feels like they pulled this show from a time capsule from 2002. Over reliance on jump scares really sinks just about any horror media for me.
Not sure how you think there's a reliance on jump scares. They're all telegraphed a mile away, which is the point. If you have time to (figuratively at least) put your fingers over your eyes because you know something is coming, it's by definition NOT a jump scare.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
That was kinda weak.
This is more of somber drawn out family drama than a horror show, they just sprinkled horror elements here and there.

In terms of general horror tone Channel Zero is much better, especially visually. Butcher's Block was excellent.
I kinda agree. I think the show is good however since I was intrigued with the mystery and drama but only the 1st episode was 'scary'.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
This series is superb, and gets better with every episode. Loving the characters. But we've definitely had great horror TV series before. Watch Salem, From Dusk Til Dawn, or Scream Queens. All very different, all incredible.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
You could tell me that the actress for young Elizabeth is the daughter of the actress for adult Elizabeth and I'd totally believe you.

She was in Conjuring 2 and Anabelle Awakening as well.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Not sure how you think there's a reliance on jump scares. They're all telegraphed a mile away, which is the point. If you have time to (figuratively at least) put your fingers over your eyes because you know something is coming, it's by definition NOT a jump scare.
A jump scare is intended to make you jump. You can still expect a jump scare and be scared/jump anyway. It's a part of the thrill of seeing a horror movie for many people. And it's incredibly lazy to rely on.

That is literally what happens when there's build up to a jump scare.. tension mounts the audience is on the edge of their seat, then BOOM the jump comes. I mean.. sure, you can also have jump scares without it being telegraphed but they're both essentially doing the same thing.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Im really enjoying this series but I do wish it was a bit scarier. At episode 8 now and it's only really creeped me out once or twice. Love the family dynamic though

JakeD

Nov 7, 2017
Meanwhile, for those who want to see some excellent supernatural movies for Halloween, I'd highly recommend The Changeling (1980) starring George C Scott and The Woman in Black (1989) - (NOT the Daniel Radcliffe abomination).

I actually thought of The Woman in Black a couple times watching this (only through 3 episodes) because it does the:

"ghost standing still and staring" type scare a lot which tWiB just nailed perfectly and left haunting images in my brain like 10 years later

this show does it a lot more in the background than tWiB but its still spooky as hell

fauxtrot

Oct 25, 2017
Does the acting get better because I feel like I'm watching community theater for most of the first two episodes... even the actors that I've seen knock performances out of the park in other shows seem unable to make the clunky lines work.

It's a bummer because I was really looking forward to this series after all of the good reviews and word of mouth!

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
I got to the final episode and then my family came back from vacation. The wait for the final hour after binging the entirety of the rest of the episodes is brutal

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Does the acting get better because I feel like I'm watching community theater for most of the first two episodes... even the actors that I've seen knock performances out of the park in other shows seem unable to make the clunky lines work.

It's a bummer because I was really looking forward to this series after all of the good reviews and word of mouth!
Ep 3 is a little better in that regard but it's still not great.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Duuuude light spoilers regarding ep 3

Ive seen at least 4-5 ghosts/figures in the background in this ep, shit freaks me out lol. I absolutely love that kinda stuff. Fucking great ep so far too. I just had to pause it at the 39:40 mark because I saw another one

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The ad on this page lmao

yI0MCsD.png

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I kept thinking how Wierd the young dad looked a s ended up googling.... It's the fucking kid in ET, holy shit.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the last episode.

Kinda pissed how it ended. Also, the house kinda worked the same way as in American Horror Story. :/