• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Answer for #2

I'm pretty sure it's said explicitly (and it's certainly shown several times) that Viola did not take her walk every night. In fact from the way Flora reacted to seeing her doll it was implied that her walks were fairly rare events
They weren't that rare. It was implied that they were mopping the mud quite frequently.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
About 6 episodes in and me and pretty much all of my friends think this is terrible. Not what any of us wanted out of a new Haunting series. Feels like a soap opera/drama with maybe a few minutes of scary stuff in the last 5 minutes of each episode. The Hannah episode was the best so far and didn't get good until the last part.
This show feels like it'll be the next "Altered Carbon" - S1 amazing, can't wait for a S2, S2 comes out and sucks, Netflix cancels a potential S3 because S2 sucks. ;(

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
I started watching this with my partner last night and we found the accents and the dialogue pretty terrifying indeed (ha ha). Tell me, does it improve?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
They weren't that rare. It was implied that they were mopping the mud quite frequently.
I feel like they noticed the mud only like 3 or 4 times since Dani's arrival, and she was implied to be there for at least several weeks. By rare I was thinking like once or twice a week, at most. If it happens late enough at night you could reasonably explain the parents never noticing it.

Or maybe Flora and Miles were just that diligent about keeping people out of its way.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
About 6 episodes in and me and pretty much all of my friends think this is terrible. Not what any of us wanted out of a new Haunting series. Feels like a soap opera/drama with maybe a few minutes of scary stuff in the last 5 minutes of each episode. The Hannah episode was the best so far and didn't get good until the last part.
This show feels like it'll be the next "Altered Carbon" - S1 amazing, can't wait for a S2, S2 comes out and sucks, Netflix cancels a potential S3 because S2 sucks. ;(

This is an anthology show anyhow so it wouldn't sting as hard if that were to happen

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really liked how in depth they went for everything and how all the pieces fit into each other until episode 9 and that is when I found two plotholes and now everything is ruined.

1. When Flora said You me and Us why did the Lady of the lake not respond then.
2. If Lady of the lake was taking a fixed path through the house why did the Wingraves not see her every night? What made her decide on that particular path?
it's shown for like 10 minutes of her episode that she's "tucked in" for periods of time, and occasionally wakes up for reasons she can't remember but she vaguely remembers where her daughter slept so she walks that path. They said she went many years without waking up so that justifies the frequency.

Redhood

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for the responses everyone. I think al the explanations make sense. I loved the slow burn and lore heavy aspects of it even if it was over explained.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
That ending HURT. But I really enjoyed the show. Would love to rewatch at a later point.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
It was good. Very good at times but not as scary as season 1, which made me unnerved to walk around our house at night lol. The last episode was a bit long in the tooth. Wish they could've wrapped everything in episode 8.

And the motivation for
Viola the lake lady ghost
was a bit silly in the end. I was expecting some J-horror type backstory where the wife is horribly abused and killed only to have her raging spirit remain. This was like, not that. Someone popped her pirate treasure chest and she got mad. There's the setup.

Lilyth

Sep 13, 2019
It was good. Very good at times but not as scary as season 1, which made me unnerved to walk around our house at night lol. The last episode was a bit long in the tooth. Wish they could've wrapped everything in episode 8.

And the motivation for
Viola the lake lady ghost
was a bit silly in the end. I was expecting some J-horror type backstory where the wife is horribly abused and killed only to have her raging spirit remain. This was like, not that. Someone popped her pirate treasure chest and she got mad. There's the setup.
THAT would have been a boring cliché...

Anyway, good season, a lot of heart and nice atmosphere. The season was more of a psychological drama than the first one, and people's expectation of "a more scary season" were certainly not met. However, I'm not a big fan of horror, so it mostly worked. Great metaphor for the struggles of mental illness in relationships in the final episode, a high point of the series and very empathetically done.

Victoria Pedretti needs to be a huge star, as does Rahul.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk

🙄

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate that

The husband's reaction to finding his wife with a death scream on her face was "this chest is fucking cursed, we ain't taking this shit with us"

ironically the smart movie was the wrong move this time around

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished it, really liked it a lot. I for one love how they didn't just copy Hill House and instead made Bly Manor a completely different animal and tackled different genres. I still prefer Hill, but Bly was a worthy entry to the franchise and I really hope they do another season.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
3 episodes in... this is boring as hell. Hope it picks up
hqdefault.jpg

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
What a ride! Really enjoyed season 2, and that ending was very well done, and so very sad. I'm happy season 2 was it's own beast, and I've enjoyed both seasons because of that.

I will definitely re-watch this at some point.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
It's interesting, while I loved the characters of this season, I didn't think they weren't interesting enough to carry the early, slower episodes. Not sure if that makes any sense though.

I thought the ending was phenomenal though.

ZDKilljoy

Managing Editor at BunnyGaming
Verified
Oct 3, 2018
Malaysia
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk

🙄

that should have been the dialogue for an entire episode

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk
She would sleep
She would wake
She would walk

🙄

Excruciating, honestly.

We both yelled "WE GET IT, MOVE ON!!" at the tv.

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
We finished this last night and both loved this season. I think its hard to say which I prefer out of this and Hill House since they both tell their own stories in their own ways. They are both perfectly splendid and I love them both.

Im honestly baffled by some of the responses in here. I think people have a tendency to expect a show to function like cliffs notes where they should ping between plot points without a moment to feel immersed.

Oct 25, 2017
Re-watching Hill House and it's so painfully clear how much better it is than Bly. My only major takeaway at this point is just that the actors who are common to both shows are incredibly versatile. It isn't just that Bly is a miss, but that Hill House is an insane fucking hit in my eyes. It's terrifying, well-paced, directed, acted, extremely well-written.. I really hope there's another season that can return to that greatness.

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Finished it last night. I enjoyed it but definately not as much as Hill House which is one of my favourite series and The Bent-Neck Lady episode is probably one of my favourite TV episodes ever.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Finished it last night. Much, much milder than Hill House, but I ended up thinking of it more as a charcter drama with ghosts in than a horror series really.

I liked all of the characters in it, and thought some of the story telling with memories was cool but got worn out by the last few episodes. In general it was probably a bit overlong and short on thrills, but the finale was a freaking gut punch, simulataneously the creepiest and most heartfelt episode of the series.

Worth the journey, but don't go in expecting a whole load of excitement or scares.

PS - I loved the first two thirds of Hill House but felt lik ti fell a bit flat in the last stretch.

Oct 30, 2017
Episode 8 was sad as hell. I thought I finished the season finale of episode 9 with the flashback to the 1600s but apparently another episode.

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
My wife and I absolutely loved it. I wasn't aware of the gothic romance aspect, but it really clicked with us.

The last episode absolutely destroyed us. My wife's biggest fear is me dying before she does, and she was sobbing when Flora started crying while talking about it. Really good stuff.

Smoothcb

Oct 27, 2017
While it did drag a bit, my wife and I really enjoyed it. Hill House was better but the gothic romance aspect of Bly was pretty well done.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
Excruciating, honestly.

We both yelled "WE GET IT, MOVE ON!!" at the tv.

almost like it's an intentional choice to capture the monotony of life as a ghost, wandering the same halls every day for hundreds of years until your identity begins to fade and you're nothing but a faceless spectre...

Oct 27, 2017
almost like it's an intentional choice to capture the monotony of life as a ghost, wandering the same halls every day for hundreds of years until your identity begins to fade and you're nothing but a faceless spectre...
it was a bad intentional choice, IMO. they tried to convey something they didn't have to. We get it basically instantly. In fact you've already got it before that episode airs because we know the ghost is doing the walk multiple times a week. we get it.

this is the worst example of show vs. tell in that they both showed us and then proceeded to bang it over our heads for nearly an hour.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
After finishing it I'm going to have to agree with the majority here: it wasn't good.

Hill House was better in pretty much every single aspect. It was painful listening to (what I perceived as) a ton of badly done English/Irish/etc. accents, and at the end of the day I really don't think they should have used the same core cast again. I mean, they were fantastic in HH, but it's really jarring seeing them all here again doing a completely unrelated story. When you top that with the bad accents, and weird pacing, lack of spookiness, etc. It was just painful to watch- on the edge of becoming "cringey" as they say.

The only redeeming thing about this show I will admit here is they had a pretty good explanation/concept as to why ghosts exist at all. Instead of just saying "oh, it's unfinished business" like the typical tropes they kind of laid out what kind of events can lead up to it, and why the ghost remains. I especially liked the part about slowly forgetting who they are as the years go on, but continuing that pilgrimage because it's all they know to do.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wondering what metrics Netflix is using to determine if they'll do another season or not. Bly Manor didn't review as well as Hill House, but on the flip side, between the goodwill from Hill House and everyone stuck at home during Covid life, I'm sure Bly Manor did massive numbers. Then of course one also has to consider if Flanagan is even interested (he only wrote and directed the first episode this time and is in production on his next Netflix show Midnight Mass), or if Netflix would push on without him.

All of which is to say, The Haunting of _______ _______ starring Victoria Pedretti in October of 2022 please.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't mind the season. Episode 8 and 9 being as long as they were though... holy shit. That was a brutal slog. Also didn't like that it had as much "epilogue" type stuff as it did. Following this trajectory the next season will be "The Haunting of People's Conscience", which I won't have to watch because I live it plenty of days. This season was like Romeo and Juliet on crack; you get to be starcrossed, and you get to be starcrossed, and you get to sleep, wake, walk and be starcrossed!"

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
It was painful listening to (what I perceived as) a ton of badly done English/Irish/etc. accents

There were a lot of badly done accents in the show, but there wasn't even an attempt at an Irish one (Peter Quint was allegedly Scottish).

I disagree about it being jarring using the same cast. Accents aside I think they all did a stellar job, especially Victoria Pedretti (Nell / Dani) and Oliver Jackson-Cohen (Peter / Luke), just as they were the standouts in Hill House.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Watched all of it.

The short of it is that I think that the highs of season 1 were higher, but season 2 is more consistant in its quality. Also season 2 has a much better and satisfying ending.

I think I prefer season 2?

Also for season 3, I want them do go to asia. Maybe set during the Korea war? You could set the show in Korea or Japan post-WW2.

Keep the same cast of course. Victoria Pedretti has to be a main character in all the seasons of this show.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
There were a lot of badly done accents in the show, but there wasn't even an attempt at an Irish one (Peter Quint was allegedly Scottish).

I disagree about it being jarring using the same cast. Accents aside I think they all did a stellar job, especially Victoria Pedretti (Nell / Dani) and Oliver Jackson-Cohen (Peter / Luke), just as they were the standouts in Hill House.

That's how bad they were, I thought he was sounding Irish at times, same with the gardener. lol

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
This is funny, because I'm pretty confident Amelia Eve is actually English, and wasn't putting on that much of an accent at all.

Oh wow, that's interesting. I try my best to just listen to actors/actresses first before looking up what their nationalities are but I think similarly to how people in the US might hear a US actor do, say, a southern draw incorrectly, I assume in the UK they nitpick about their own talent fudging up dialects and such from specific areas over there too.

Oct 27, 2017
I tried to look up the actress that played Jamie for that very reason but couldn't find much info on her.

Her accent (and Owen) was one of the only ones that sounded legit, but it's hard to tell sometimes unless it's glaringly bad. (looking at you Karl Urban)

Annatar86

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
I appreciate that

The husband's reaction to finding his wife with a death scream on her face was "this chest is fucking cursed, we ain't taking this shit with us"

ironically the smart movie was the wrong move this time around
Well but it was
For him and his daughter it was absolutely the right choice, and he had lost the house anyway so fuck the new owners I guess

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well but it was
For him and his daughter it was absolutely the right choice, and he had lost the house anyway so fuck the new owners I guess
well she wouldn'thave killed the daughter if she opened the chest. Sheonly killed the sister because it wasn't meant for her (and also becauseshe killed her). But he didn't know that.