• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't necessarily agree with that. What specific reason do they need
What are they exactly looking for? No murder weapon was apparently used... she was just drowned. In their opinion Peter drowned her, stole a bunch of shit and disappeared. The body was found floating at the top, there was no other reason to search for anything .
But I am no cop, so maybe i am way off.
Some evidence that there was someone else near the lake at the time

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I'm about midway and liking it so far, but damn "glasses dude" scares are way overdone. Got played out halfway into episode 2.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed it, but it definitely had its flaws.

First off, like others said, this is not a horror show and people should not look at it like that, it is gothic horror/romance. I think people have to stop thinking that this series is going to be something like The Conjuring.

I LOVE a slow burn, but this show could have easily been 5-6 episodes and been better for it, there are multiple parts where you are just saying "Okay, we get it" and it's enough to easily predict what's going to happen next 1 episode in advance. They beat you over the head with themes and foreshadowing way too many times.

Accents aside, performances have been great but writing could have been better, especially the romance scenes.

The ending was MUCH better than Hill House, but just like Hill House, they explain way too much towards the end, and it's explanations that we don't need.

Not everything has to always be explained 100%, that's how you lose the mysteriousness, and things are no longer as creepy when you understand everything 100%.

Same, I was doing dishes later and suddenly it clicked.

Your second point though

Semi-unrelated but I love how people make fun of the "HIDDEN GHOSTS" clickbait and here it is perfectly encapsulated on that thumbnail.

I'm surprised they don't have white outlines.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
It's not as strong as Hill House imo but it's pretty good. I love that they took it in such a different direction but it still feels like it has the same "soul".

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I think this loses steam after the middle of the season. There's a lot of build up and the pay off just wasn't there.

I don't mind it being a love story but the drama wasn't that compelling, especially episode 9. The ending itself was just disappointing.

Congo Jack

Oct 25, 2017
Candy Apple Island
GF and I just finished this last night and good lord what a drop-off after episode 5. We were loving the first few episodes and felt it was even better than HH, then they spent the rest of the season explaining every little detail and creating plot lines that led nowhere. What a letdown

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Got 2 episodes left but it definitely took a dive for me.
It's still a good show but Hill House was sooo much more intense.
I still find the soft focus distracting. Will probably finish this on thursday but for now I am slightly disappointed.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I must've enjoyed it enough since I got through all the episodes in a single weekend. I felt that after episode 4 I was a bit skeptic of it all in general. I'm surprised that people seem to like episode 5 so much. I was hoping for some subversion of my expectations since Hannah's fate seemed so obvious from the beginning but there wasn't.

Hill House felt very similar Oculus, and now some of the same tropes appear again and it just feels a bit tired.
Memory jumping and "you. me. us." stuff seemed half baked. Like it's just understood that saying this magic words makes it a special possession where you can leave the house? Doesn't really matter but it caused me to groan a bit. I don't want to complain too much either since this thread has that covered, but as a love story it isn't really that strong either.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
My daughter is 12 and she loved the first season. I skipped through some stuff-like the revelation of that one girls sexual abuse.

Is this season pretty much like the first? Should it be ok for her?

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
My daughter is 12 and she loved the first season. I skipped through some stuff-like the revelation of that one girls sexual abuse.

Is this season pretty much like the first? Should it be ok for her?

Damn if your daughter could deal with the horror, general dread and underlying themes of Hill House, Bly will be a walk in the park. It's way, way less intense overall (but has an even more somber and generally sad tone.) .

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Damn if your daughter could deal with the horror, general dread and underlying themes of Hill House, Bly will be a walk in the park. It's way, way less intense overall (but has an even more somber and generally sad tone.) .
She loves horror movies. Nothing scares her. It's more the adult content and sexual assault stuff I'm concerned with.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Wife and I started the first episode last night. Will continue tonight and probably do an episode a night until we finish it.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
She loves horror movies. Nothing scares her. It's more the adult content and sexual assault stuff I'm concerned with.

Bly has no sexual assault imo, more like emotional manipulation that leads to consensual sex. I don't know what you want you daughter to watch but I think Bly has more meaningful stuff to say about building relationships (and avoiding toxic ones) than you'd expect from something that is tagged "Horror".

It's not "Horror" anyway, Gothic romance would be a more fitting genre.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Bly has no sexual assault imo, more like emotional manipulation that leads to consensual sex. I don't know what you want you daughter to watch but I think Bly has more meaningful stuff to say about building relationships (and avoiding toxic ones) than you'd expect from something that is tagged "Horror".

It's not "Horror" anyway, Gothic romance would be a more fitting genre.

Good to know! Thanks!

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Personally enjoyed eps1-4, then found myself looking at my phone, bored, from 5-9. Also the general spookiness really drops off as well.

How did nobody bump into the lake ghost's pathing all that time when the family spent summer there. I mean she literally walks up to the parents bed every few weeks and they don't notice once?

JakeD

Nov 7, 2017
just finished today.. really enjoyed it. definitely has peaks and valleys in terms of pace. i agree with everyone who says it probably could have been 6 episodes.

as someone who read the book, i find it funny all the people saying the jessel/quint stuff was boring
they're the only ghosts in the novella.

i hated all the explanation behind the dreams/possession. a ghost explaining how they're going to strategize their possession and use the magic words..would be so much better to just leave it out. even if a couple nerds on the internet would go crazy asking for technical logistics..

there is one scene where child abuse is implied, and a few scenes depicting domestic violence/abuse but nothing like Hill House

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Just finished and I agree with most sentiments that's it starts well but then just descends into melodrama and over-explaining. It was alright but feels like it lacked ideas.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished and I agree with most sentiments that's it starts well but then just descends into melodrama and over-explaining. It was alright but feels like it lacked ideas.

I didn't mind the over-explaning, my real issue was that after said things were fully explained, they tied back and were resolved in such an unsatisfying manner.

sweetie

Alt account
Banned
May 19, 2020
Finished earlier today and definitely enjoyed it to the end.

I think I preferred the plot of Bly Manor and all its characters more than Hill House, but I think Hill House was executed better and was more entertaining as a whole.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's not supposed to be horror in the same vein as Hill House, but this show just seems disappointing in comparison. I wish they stopped being faithful to the book and just made a Season 2 instead.

Oct 25, 2017
Man the music in both series is so good.

I really appreciated the weird timeless feeling this had, its something im missing in Hill House.

Last edited:

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I finished this the other day and I really enjoyed it. Definitely wish it had more scares of course, but the story was cleverly told, and it was really sweet. I hadn't read the book so it was all new to me. Agree about the music as well. Just a well told, appropriately styled, suitably scored story.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Never watched Hill House but caught this the other day and didnt think it was scary at all but rather depressing and kinda bizarre. I really didnt like that ending either.
I wonder how many bodies/remains are in that little lake, maybe they should get a coroner dive team out there or something?.
I wonder if I should check out Hill House now, it seems much better based on what others are saying.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Never watched Hill House but caught this the other day and didnt think it was scary at all but rather depressing and kinda bizarre. I really didnt like that ending either.
I wonder how many bodies/remains are in that little lake, maybe they should get a coroner dive team out there or something?.
I wonder if I should check out Hill House now, it seems much better based on what others are saying.

Definitely watch Hill House

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Well, this awful kinda of a turd.

I guess I enjoyed
The explanation behind the Manor's power, i.e. Viola's becoming curse itself and why and how people became trapped, even if that flashback ended up being just waaaaay too long. It was sorta neat in the sense that it made everything slot into place. I find pretty unrealistic that apparently the Wingraves never saw Viola's ghost for all the time they lived there?

The script was really bad this time around, it basically had everything I didn't love of Hill House's final episode.

I found incredibly hilarious that in the final episode
Everyone shows there and... they all accomplish nothing. You expect Hannah to make a stand, but she accomplishes... nothing?

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this awful kinda of a turd.

I guess I enjoyed
The explanation behind the Manor's power, i.e. Viola's becoming curse itself and why and how people became trapped, even if that flashback ended up being just waaaaay too long. It was sorta neat in the sense that it made everything slot into place. I find pretty unrealistic that apparently the Wingraves never saw Viola's ghost for all the time they lived there?

The script was really bad this time around, it basically had everything I didn't love of Hill House's final episode.

I found incredibly hilarious that in the final episode
Everyone shows there and... they all accomplish nothing. You expect Hannah to make a stand, but she accomplishes... nothing?

Hannah told Owen and Jamie where to find Dani, and where to find Henry too. Without that Henry would never have been resuscitated and Dani may have drowned after absorbing the lady and trying to swim out with Flora.

Jul 10, 2020
This had TOO many episodes.

You could have told the story you wanted in like half of the 9 episodes.

The first 4 episodes ran in place, Episode 5 was supposed to be a twist but everyone already figured it out, and then the last three or so really brought it together.

I mean I get WHY they think they needed 9 episodes, but you could have done it in 5/6 tops and it would have been just as strong if not stronger.

Re-edit this, trim it down, and it would easily be on the level of Hill House.

Not bad, but overly long.

ajcacio

Mar 6, 2018
I fuckin hated it. It was lame in the same way Hill House was by the end too.
I get it, the ghosts are sad
. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Finished it tonight, thought it was a good story with some great performances but Hill House was waaaaay creepier - disappointed in that regard

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
This was been the first Netflix show I've watched from start to finish. Never watched last years show which was apparently in the same series, but this one didn't do anything for me. By the middle of the series I was losing interest and I really had to power through it.

The only episode that was mildly interesting was the origin of the story in episode 8.

Oct 27, 2017
Episode 7 and I am struggling to maintain interest. This show sucks compared to Hill House. Overblown melodramatic soap opera shit, endless teary monologues, not remotely creepy or scary anymore. The focus on
Peter and Becca
has totally killed whatever interest I had in the beginning.

The big reveals are telegraphed from a mile away and I don't remotely care for any of the characters.

This is supposed to be the peak episode and it's downhill from here? I can't picture it getting worse.

Last edited:

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Finished it two days ago and I loved it. Yesterday, I started Hill House and I hear it's even better overall

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Like she has a brief fling with this guy, he immediately turns into a piece of shit. She finds out he's even a bigger piece of shit then she thought so she kills herself to be with him? Fucking unbelievable corny shit

You got that all wrong. Peter was the one who killed her.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
About the lake (full series spoilers):

There are at least four bodies that we know of in that lake before Rebecca drowned, so the fact that nobody seemed to find any of them or thought to search there seems a bit like an oversight. Especially considering in the final episode all we see is Dani's body.

Unless we're supposed to believe the 100-200 year old bodies would completely decompose there, though that still wouldn't explain the lack of Peter's of course.

I'm pretty sure we also see skeletons / bone remains in that shot.

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the tropeiness of it all. Some neat twists. As someone mentioned its more gothic horror/romance and the show itself mentioned this in the last episode. I enjoyed it until the last episode where it just falls off into soapy mess.

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the tropeiness of it all. Some neat twists. As someone mentioned its more gothic horror/romance and the show itself mentioned this in the last episode. I enjoyed it until the last episode where it just falls off into soapy mess.
The soap opera-ness gets worse?! Ugh. I'm in to finish it because I'm watching it with my partner but at this point I'd rather just spoil the ending and save myself the trouble.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 3 episodes in and pretty bored. Disappointed so far but will stick with it. By this part in Hill House I was riveted.

Oct 27, 2017
The soap opera-ness gets worse?! Ugh. I'm in to finish it because I'm watching it with my partner but at this point I'd rather just spoil the ending and save myself the trouble.

The last episode. I enjoyed it most until the last half of the last episode. It does get a little soppy and explainy at the end, you could stop watch then and lose little.

I enjoyed the back story flashbacks too. And the neat little ghost rules.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Hill House,
Definitely preferred Bly.

Hill House doesn't have enough of the house for the story.
Bly goes a bit overboard but you really feel the legacy of it's haunted house throughout.

Last edited:

RyanPrime_

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I loved it. Everything just clicked for me, I loved all of the characters (especially the house workers).

The ending nearly had me in tears. This was so much more thought provoking than Hill House and it sat with me for a while.

I loved this. I think it comes down to expectations. If you only want jump scares and horror stuff, then I can see not liking this. But the actual horror here is far more Gothic, and deals with existential dread (of being trapped, not understanding what you are experiencing, etc).

This was a fantastic Gothic romance, and I'm so happy it was made. I do understand why it's confusing as a follow-up to Hill House, but personally I liked Bly Manor more. I also think it's better because of Hill House, as it subverts expectations about what the hidden ghosts mean (are they malicious, etc).

I don't even agree with the criticisms that it is too slow until episode 5, because the relationships and the atmosphere are what make it great, along with trying to piece everything together (who is a ghost, what can you trust, etc).

Definite 5/5 for me, and a great modernization of The Turn of the Screw.

This totally sums it up for me. Much more enjoyable than Hill House.

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I like how the Dani and her dead fiancé ghost hauntings just stop out of nowhere. She suddenly isn't afraid of them anymore or she had a sit down with him at the fire? Like what happened there.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I like how the Dani and her dead fiancé ghost hauntings just stop out of nowhere. She suddenly isn't afraid of them anymore or she had a sit down with him at the fire? Like what happened there.

Her fiance was never a real ghost, it was a psychological ghost. Like Henry's alter ego. She was holding onto him and her guilt the entire time, and her burning the glasses was her way of finally saying goodbye and coming to terms with her guilt.

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Her fiance was never a real ghost, it was a psychological ghost. Like Henry's alter ego. She was holding onto him and her guilt the entire time, and her burning the glasses was her way of finally saying goodbye and coming to terms with her guilt.
Huh...I guess that makes sense, but given the show was about ghosts and hauntings, I'm left disappointed.