• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
Got to the end of Ep 7 and we dipped out - they spend so much time drawing out obvious plot points and it gets waaay too soap opera in terms of acting.
specifically the Rebecca and Peter scenes

I can't remember the last time I was yelling at the TV going "YES WE GET IT ALREADY, GET ON WITH IT"

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm watching a different show lol. I'm six episodes in, planning on finishing today, and am overall liking this quite a bit more than Hill House. It's not as scary, but the characters and writing are all much stronger. The overarching plot here feels much more thoughtfully developed, and I think it makes the fewer instances when the scares do come hit much harder.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Finished it this weekend. It was fine. I think it showed and told far too much. By revealing the heart and story of every single character AND ghoul it dulled its own teeth. Hill House indulged a darker mystery; a creeping, ambiguous malevolence that seeped into every frame. I very much missed that with Bly Manor.

Eintopf

Jul 8, 2018
UK
Ah ok, I recocgnized the whole set up with the nanny and kids (especially the pervy boy) instantly from that movie haha
It's one of the creator's favourite films. As someone who watched The Innocents a couple weeks back and is currently reading the book, it's fun spotting the differences and similarities between the three. The lead character, Dani Clayton has the same surname as the director of the film which is a pretty nice easter egg.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Just finished it. I can understand fans of the first series being disappointed. I don't think this was as strong or memorable, but I still enjoyed it though I thought it was too long (yes, ep 8). Also, funny coincidence, not 5 minutes after I finish, I get a spam election text that starts with
you. me. us.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finished it with my friends. I gotta say I preferred Haunting of a Hill House exponentially. I didn't hate my time with this but yeah horror was WAY toned down and the romantic/family drama turned up.

Zarathustra

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like Hill House that much, and I thought it was utterly forgettable. I don't remember a single character, but I remmeber that after the initial episodes I lost the plot, and by the end it was just something playing in the background.

This isn't much better so far. I am 5 episodes in and don't feel like I'll miss something if I don't finish it. My main issue is that it's so slow. These 5 episodes have felt like at least 7 so far.

zou

Oct 29, 2017
the new shot-based encoding is ruining the show for me. 8mbps for 4K is a fucking joke, looks so bad..

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How did the cops

never find Peter's body when they found Rebecca's? You find a body in a small-ass lake maybe you should search the rest of the lake?

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
How did the cops

never find Peter's body when they found Rebecca's? You find a body in a small-ass lake maybe you should search the rest of the lake?
I was wondering the same, but I'm guessing you see a body floating on the top of the lake, and you're not looking for another body (they thought he was on the run), you don't go in and look. Maybe the body was fished out before the cops got there. Then again they would probably also look around to confirm there was no foul play so 🤷‍♂️

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As with Hill House, or Flanagans other work really, it really indulges itself far too much in the literal plotpoints and events of whats transpiring. There's no room for anything remotely resembling surrealism or anything, because every single piece of thing needs to be explained in the show at some point, and i really don't jell with it. I think its also the main reason for why the show just dips in quality in the second half for me. Half of the things explained didn't need explaining or could have been revealed in far less "bonk you over the head with it" manner, or any more interesting way really. Drama elements didn't strike me as well as in Hill House, but other than that i did like this more however. Old-ass british mansions and those working there is a soft spot for me there i guess. But uh yeah, not really scary outside of one scene that got me, so Flanagan continues to not be able to make scary films or tvshows. As with all of Flanagans other works, its heaps and heaps of intriguing horror elements just wasted, every damn time.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering the same, but I'm guessing you see a body floating on the top of the lake, and you're not looking for another body (they thought he was on the run), you don't go in and look. Maybe the body was fished out before the cops got there. Then again they would probably also look around to confirm there was no foul play so 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, I mean you find a body floating in the middle of the lake you don't just go "well, case closed. Suicide" (then again, that seems to be exactly what you do in the Hill House Cinematic Universe of staged suicides

These series remind of American Horror Story if it took itself seriously

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. The last two episodes were the strongest for me. However, it doesn't make up for the other seven. I think they could've done more with less.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Finally had the time to start this, first episode was excellent, perfectly splendid.

Four things I absolutely loved:
  • The reuse of music from Hill House.
  • Split diopter shots, baby!
  • Victoria Pedretti in that pink sweater and those high-waisted 80s jeans is too good of a look.
  • I love how it seems to be doing the 'background ghost' thing of Hill House but doing it in almost the opposite manner, Hill House had them hidden and eater egg-ish but Bly Manor is constantly drawing your eye towards that Plague Doctor looking thing.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm at the end of episode 6 and I'm baffled that people don't like it. I think it's bloody fantastic. Yeah it's a lot slower than Hill House and not even remotely scary for the most part. But the characters get much more room to grow and breath and that makes this eerie, looming atmosphere even more unsettling.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
The opening episodes were great 1-4
The middle episodes 5,6,7 were just ridiculously confusing for me
8 was ok
The final episode and ending was excellent and saved it for me

can someone explain somethings for me though
if Hannah was dead the whole time since dani arrived then how did she talk and touch with everyone else?
And if flora was not dead why was she jumping around in her memory's like Hannah and Peter?

also why did the uncle see a ghost version of himself the acting of that guy[ETs Elliot] was terrible his English accent was so off putting and too OTT for me why didn't they just hire an English actor can't believe they approved that accent lol but yeah this whole section of the show was soo stupid and very unnecessary

Last edited:

Capricorn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really surprised to see the negative reactions in here -- Binged the season over the weekend and loved it, I think I preferred it to Hill House even. Episode 5 blew me away, I felt like I was watching The Constant from Lost for the first time again! I didn't even come in with low expectations, in fact it's the only show I've binged this year besides Dark Season 3

I do agree that I wish it was a bit scarier and that I feel like there was no need to go into detail about every little thing (that said, I did enjoy Episode 8 as a standalone story), but I guess I accepted early on that this was just a drama with some slight horror elements in the background and I felt satisfied with it.

EDIT: One detail that I'm surprised they didn't actually focus on and let me pretty confused, however:

After inviting the Lady of The Lake to her body, suddenly one of Dani's eyes changes color, probably matching Viola's now. This is not referenced by any character as far as I know, and when I noticed I started to think that maybe the actess has Heterochromia and I somehow didn't realise until that episode, I went back to the start of the season to verify what her eyes were like at the beginning, lol.

Still, if that's the case, shouldn't Miles eyes change as well once he invites Peter in? I get that he didn't fully control Miles for too long after Miles agreed to let him in, so I don't know if Dani somehow forged a deeper kind of pact with the Lady of the Lake.

I guess her being the "Gravity Well" that kept al spirits on the Bly Manor grounds explains why she is able to leave the property without any issues at the end unlike the other ghosts, but that also caught me a bit off guard to be honest

Last edited:

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Didn't hate it but it's no Hill House. And I'm not a big horror fan to be honest so the lack of horror stuff wasn't a big deal for me. Music did a lot of the heavy lifting but the story just didn't grab me.

mupepe

Banned
Sep 27, 2019
8 was ok

if Hannah was dead the whole time since dani arrived then how did she talk and touch with everyone else?
And if flora was not dead why was she jumping around in her memory's like Hannah and Peter?

also why did the uncle see a ghost version of himself the acting of that guy[ETs Elliot] was terrible his English accent was so off putting and too OTT for me why didn't they just hire an English actor can't believe they approved that accent lol but yeah this whole section of the show was soo stupid and very unnecessary
Flora was being "tucked away" by Rebecca and Peter. So they would enter her body and mind and put her in a memory.

Henry saw himself because he was technically dead. He was just resuscitated.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
Surprised by the negative reactions in here. I'm loving this. My Twitter timeline is raving over this too. This thread is the only place I've seen such widespread negativity.

I think if you're evaluating it purely in terms of how much it scares you, then yeah... Maybe you'd be disappointed, but I think that's doing the work a disservice. It's closer to a work of gothic fiction than straight-forward horror, but that's completely fine. The same could be said of Hill House.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
8 was ok

also why did the uncle see a ghost version of himself the acting of that guy[ETs Elliot] was terrible his English accent was so off putting and too OTT for me why didn't they just hire an English actor can't believe they approved that accent lol
Hannah didn't truly comprehend she was dead until Peter/Miles showed her her body. As such she interacts as a living person. However she does not eat or drink anything. Her zoning outs were where she was folding into her memories. When she would pop out of them she would forget she was dead.

Flora and Rebecca both fold into their memories when they are possessed. That is the point of the idea of the forever house. When Peter completely possess Miles he's supposed to put Miles in his memories of living with his parents.

Much like the ghost of Dani's fiancé Henry's ghost of himself is psychological. He sees it because he blames himself for his brother's and former lover's death. So he has created for himself a devil to torture him because he hates himself.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
Surprised by the negative reactions in here. I'm loving this. My Twitter timeline is raving over this too. This thread is the only place I've seen such widespread negativity.

I think if you're evaluating it purely in terms of how much it scares you, then yeah... Maybe you'd be disappointed, but I think that's doing the work a disservice. It's closer to a work of gothic fiction than straight-forward horror, but that's completely fine. The same could be said of Hill House.
Yeah it's been marketed as straight up ghost horror thou when it's more a gothic drama/ love story you can't blame people for that it's the marketing

I did actually enjoy this alot more than hill house

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
This show felt like they struggled to have enough content for 9 episodes, constantly reusing scenes/moments done differently. In reality, it could have been MUCH shorter but was dreadfully dragged on to make this an anthology series. Bly Manor wasn't even close to being as good as Hill House, not even sure they will make a "Season 3" after this.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

Last time I checked Twitter a lot of people seemed to be saying it was really scary too...

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Finished the first 5 episode and I'm really enjoying it. it's not scary, but the stories have the same kind of well-woven intrigue from the first season, which what I liked the most about it.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Can't tell whether I like the over the top accents or find them distracting

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it definitely was no Hill House but I still thought it was great. Episode 5 is the best for me,
it really hits you with the same kind of existential dread a lot of Hill House had going on.

Overall it was pretty well done but I do agree there was just so much exposition that unfolded so slowly. It could've definitely been much shorter without really losing anything.

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes. The first half of the season was really strong with a cool setup and good characters. Then the show fell off a cliff in the second half. Right at and after episode 5. The big black and white flash back episode was terrible. And the whole resolution was just kinda boring.

My partner and I were sitting here like, yeah, we get it. WE GET IT. Honestly the framing of entire episodes dedicated to flash backs sucked all the life out of the thing. Also the narration was painful. I really hated the way it tried to redo the "ghost in the background" schtick and failed utterly.

Real miss with this season overall.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
After all the complaining here a out the first 4 episodes I vastly preferred it over what we got I. 6-8.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Hill House started strong, peaked about 5 episodes in and then just totally limped to the finish. Disappointed to hear this is less good and less scary.

Dreezy

Oct 27, 2017
They should've subtracted some storylines for sure, like after they revealed what one of the characters was going through, they didn't need to do it for EVERY character - leave some damn mystery. And use that time to develop more scares / horror elements.

I still enjoyed the show though.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Ended up liking this in the end. I thought the final episode finished strong.

Pacing was kinda terrible throughout the season though. It felt like maybe four episodes worth of story stretched into nine.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
What are the actual connections to Hill House? Two differently colored eyes was something in Season 1. But what does this all mean? Are the stories connected? Why did they drop "forever house" casually in one of the conversations?

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus this show has some predictable twists
Hannah's arc in particularl is offensively bad, I'm pretty sure most horror fans will figure the twist like... 5 minutes after you meet her, including how she died.

The only good twist so far seems to be that
Rebecca is evil and possessing Flora, so Flora way of speaking didn't take after her, she is Rebecca.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Jesus this show has some predictable twists
Hannah's arc in particularl is offensively bad, I'm pretty sure most horror fans will figure the twist like... 5 minutes after you meet her, including how she died.

Show is as subtle as a brick to the face.

It's established SUPER early on that
she doesn't eat or drink
, so that's a "twist" 5 episodes in the making, so when it was revealed we were like

aL9NPkB7_700w_0.jpg