• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
for some reason i thought this was out next month. not sure how i got my dates mixed up. only watched 2 episodes so far. what a perfectly splendid way to spend the weekend.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Okay, just starting the first episode but:
Is that fucking Greg Sestero!?

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We watched about three episodes last night and are enjoying it.

It's a similar framework to Hill House but otherwise very different. No huge family, a more defined "main character" (at least so far), less scares, but more focus on character, it feels like.

I will say that I normally love Pedretti but she's going to 11 in almost every scene and action. It fits her anxious character in a way but sometimes it's a bit much.

In addition, the
mirror man scares
we're effective for one episode but got old quick.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i keep looking in the background to see if there are any spooky ghosts hanging about like in Hill House. i haven't seen any :( the only ones so far where they is something in the background are super obvious cause the camera puts it into focus or keeps the shot going making you expect something. not hating on it lol but that was one thing i loved about Hill House. it kept my eyes glued on the TV every shot and i'd start to see things that werent there.

anyway one thing that i'm curious about is that woman who doesn't seem to eat/drink. i wonder if she's a ghost. also i love rahul kohli :)

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, just starting the first episode but:
Is that fucking Greg Sestero!?

Lol yup! I immediately yelled ITS MARK to my wife.
i keep looking in the background to see if there are any spooky ghosts hanging about like in Hill House. i haven't seen any :( the only ones so far where they is something in the background are super obvious cause the camera puts it into focus or keeps the shot going making you expect something. not hating on it lol but that was one thing i loved about Hill House. it kept my eyes glued on the TV every shot and i'd start to see things that werent there.

anyway one thing that i'm curious about is that woman who doesn't seem to eat/drink. i wonder if she's a ghost. also i love rahul kohli :)
I've seen a few. A plague doctor, a random little boy(?), someone in a top hat (plague doctor again?).

They feel more obvious than last season sometimes, but still fun to catch them.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Here I am thinking that Dani looks familiar but can't pinpoint it....short trip to imbd and color me surprised :)

Also always hitting pause on slow panning shots to count gohsts is exciting.

Liked the first episode but something feels off with the crispness/style of the show.

Deleted member 29857

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Lol yup! I immediately yelled ITS MARK to my wife.

I've seen a few. A plague doctor, a random little boy(?), someone in a top hat (plague doctor again?).

They feel more obvious than last season sometimes, but still fun to catch them.
Wait what, which episode. I'm starting with ep7 now.

Def think all the residents in the manor are dead, except for the kids. And the only reason the nanny is safe is because she has a guardian spirit (the ex)

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
Without spoiling anything can anyone tell me if there are any stereotypical indigenous tropes like "indian burial grounds" etc..

Hope not.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished. Episodes 2-4 were kinda a schlep, but I enjoyed it otherwise. If Hill House is a 9/10 for me, this is something like a 7-8.

Ending made me tear up.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Supernatural Kevin ain't as scary as the show wants him to be

latest

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Things pick up after episode 5.

I'm not mad at it, but the 'horror' aspect of this show is definitely taken a step down. If people hated the family drama of the first, they will def hate this.

Abylim

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 29, 2017
Just finished it now. My gf and I enjoyed it but liked Hill House a thousand times more.

I never really got scared or unsettled.

Good story all in all.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Started watching this last night with my wife. We loved the first season but both of us were confused, is it like an alternate timeline since all the actors from Hill House are back?

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Just started the first episode and fucking hell the fake English accents are awful. Are they meant to be bordering on Dick Van Dyke?

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait what, which episode. I'm starting with ep7 now.

Def think all the residents in the manor are dead, except for the kids. And the only reason the nanny is safe is because she has a guardian spirit (the ex)

I've only seen the first three episodes so far. It's usually been in corners or shadows in the bedroom and hallway, though I think one was in the background outside during a dialogue scene at one point.

Right at the beginning. He's one of the people Carla Gugino is telling the story too.
I didn't even see this one!
Supernatural Kevin ain't as scary as the show wants him to be

latest
Lol yeah, I thought it as well.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Also the wierd soft focus on everything is really distracting, makes it look like vaseline has been smeared all over the lens. This is really difficult to enjoy in the first episode.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I swear to god you guys saying episode 5 is much better than the first 4 better be right. We're 4 episodes in and this is utter drama schlock.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Vastly enjoying this more then hill house love use of colour during daytime to make it seem safe then how dark drained of colour nighttime is. I prefer dread or physiological horror then boo spooky ghost shit. If this season ends with there was no ghost all along I be impressed and happy but doubt it be that.
Only just done 3 episodes so someone who didn't get hype of Hill House and found it terrible I prefer this

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Vastly enjoying this more then hill house love use of colour during daytime to make it seem safe then how dark drained of colour nighttime is. I prefer dread or physiological horror then boo spooky ghost shit. If this season ends with there was no ghost all along I be impressed and happy but doubt it be that.
Only just done 3 episodes so someone who didn't get hype of Hill House and found it terrible I prefer this

Whew! I thought I was the only one that is enjoying this more.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Whew! I thought I was the only one that is enjoying this more.
I don't know if I'm enjoying it more, but I'm actually finding it more creepy than the first one, two episodes in.

The first season is great, but I never found it scary. It felt very much like a family drama with a horror surface. This one I'm finding much more outwardly creepy, mostly because of the kisd.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
You know your a parent when you pop this on and it takes you only few minutes to remember why you know Floras voice

can't even escape Peppa Pig when its adult time

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Are there any prerequisites to this? Can I just watch this standalone? Is it scary?

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Yep so far I'm going to have to agree with you. I'm enjoying Bly House more because of the combination of interesting characters + color scheme creating a creepy effect psychologically on the viewer. There's less in your face scare moments but this is much creepier.

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
I swear to god you guys saying episode 5 is much better than the first 4 better be right. We're 4 episodes in and this is utter drama schlock.

I felt like Ep 1was a massive slog but chalked it up to necessary exposition. Reading about how it picks up at Ep 5 is making me reconsider if I even stick with it.

Oct 25, 2017
Dundee, Scotland
Finished it. Loved it. It's not as good as Hill House, but that's not a slight at all. It's such a different type of story, at it's heart a beautuful love story. Flanagan is such a master of his craft.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Watching now, only past Episode 2, starting Episode 3.

I'm really enjoying it so far, but I think I knew what to expect having seen (and enjoyed) The Innocents (1961). I have not read The Turning of the Screw (which I know Bly Manor and The Innocents are adaptions of), but this two episodes in really feels like a remake of The Innocents but set in modern day with much story expansion and new outside horror elements. I've thought their adaptions of specific scenes from the movie have been excellent, and interesting to see how they decide to realize the scenes.

The new plot elements are also interesting, and leave me wanting to know more.

I have no idea how I'd feel if I didn't watch and enjoy The Innocents, but as someone who liked both, at least the first two episodes have been really neat to see as a modern day expanded retelling.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished. Those first four episodes were rough to get through.. but i enjoyed where the story eventually took me.

I love the way Flanagan emotionally hooks you into his characters. I'm definitely satisfied with that ending.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm really enjoying this season, but more as a drama. Flanagan did a great job with these characters and making me care about them. It's not spooky at all this time around, though.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Just finished it. I liked it, but it's definitely a love story and not a ghost story, and it's self aware of that. Really great drama and the last shot gave me goosebumps. I liked Hill House a lot more though.

Zypher

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Episode 5. Wow that was good!
It is indeed very different from Hill House and maybe not as good, but i still like it alot so far.

Just like Villeneuve, Flanagan has earned my absolut trust.