• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Hill House remains one of the better horror projects of recent years. Hearing this is more Henry James inspired than Shirley Jackson sets some different reasonable expectations.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I knew this was gonna be divisive just from the reviews. I'll still give it a go but won't lie, I'm worried I'll get bored. But we shall see. Will start tomorrow though.

RedEye

Oct 25, 2017
first 2 eps got me hooked cant wait to see where this all goes.

it is definitely slower paced tho

edit: Miles and Flora are great child actors man

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
As with last season, I'd give it until episode 5 if you are on the fence as that is where things start picking up and become clearer. If you're not interested at that point, it's probably not for you.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
judging from the "I look at my phone while watching something" or "I watch something / listen to podcasts at 1.5X speed" comments I read all the time these days, a lot of the reactions I'm seeing don't surprise me at all. That's not even a critisism btw, just what I said, it doesn't surprise me. Like I said before, it IS super slow and like Stuckmann's review pointed out, more gothic romance than actual horror.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
Knowing it ahead of time, I'm really enjoying the slower pace. First episode was really good. I'm sure I won't like it as much as Hill House, but I don't like Turn of the Screw as much as Shirley Jackson's Hill House anyway.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
It's really good overall and I enjoyed watching it. For those concerned about the glacial pace, it does pick up and become clearer. You have to watch it all thr way through if you've started, the pay-off is worth it.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
b569956fa937bc3ae569a3667b28e76fc4dc4c28.gif

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Loving it so far. Flanagan has a style and if it hasn't worked for you before, it certainly won't now, but I dig it.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I stopped midway through episode 1. Does it get better?

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped midway through episode 1. Does it get better?
Much better. The first half of the first episode is rough. Stick it out to the end and, if it still isn't working, it might not be for you. Flanagan has thing for slow-pacing, table-setting, and corny/flowery dialogue, and the worst aspects of those traits are all over the very beginning of the episode.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
We're on the second episode and the kids are creppy as hell.

We're liking it so far.

Absolutely loved Hill House.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, it really does get better.
Much better. The first half of the first episode is rough. Stick it out to the end and, if it still isn't working, it might not be for you. Flanagan has thing for slow-pacing, table-setting, and corny/flowery dialogue, and the worst aspects of those traits are all over the very beginning of the episode.
Thanks I actually loved Haunting of Hill House. But the premise for this one seemed so incredibly predictable and...rehashed. I will give this another shot tomorrow.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching episode 2 now and haven't seen a single ghostie that has not been signaled to the viewer with either a sound cue or the camera just focusing obviously on it, kind of disappointing. It also feels really trope-y.
Well, thats not accurate. The plague doctor in the first episode that appeared in like 30 shots had a distinct visual cue and then the next episode there was a doll with an obvious cue. Anyway, there are ghosts in the show for anyone wondering.

But yeah, this show is more interested right now in telling a dramatic tragedy story, but it's also a really good one, so im really enjoying it 4 episodes in.

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
only finished episode 1 so far. this reminds me a bit of the innocents with deborah kerr.

bit of a slow start, but i'm interested to see how the story plays out. i keep peeping the background of shots, and it seems like mike flanagan doubled up on hidden ghosts thing haha there were a handful shots with the
coat and hat figure.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
finished it and while its different, I personally loved it. Season one is better paced and has a better overall chemistry between all the kids, but I think its worth sticking to it to the end. Its a great story and you will def see more ghosts and silhouettes scattered around as you progress trough the episodes.

I do prefer the first episode of season one as it kind of throws you in and keeps your attention until the last episode, while the first episode of season 2 is a very slow start and classic introduction that works better in a movie, but stick with it!

I really like to see a season 3 now since I am loving this style of show and I hope they can maintain the quality of it.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Well, thats not accurate. The plague doctor in the first episode that appeared in like 30 shots had a distinct visual cue and then the next episode there was a doll with an obvious cue. Anyway, there are ghosts in the show for anyone wondering.
I'll have to go back and watch, what I liked about the first season was they didn't call attention to the hauntings mostly, they were just there and if you missed them you missed them, here it seems more like "we're gonna do a sound effect or have lightning or do something to make sure you don't miss it"

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they didn't call attention to the hauntings mostly, they were just there and if you missed them you missed them
That is the most exact description of this season so far lol. Be on the lookout for a plague doctor with a long 'beak', a soldier, and child in the first 4 episodes. They call attention to 2 of those in one scene each. Im just starting eps 5.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
Incredibly slow start but glad I stuck with it as t'was a pretty good season. The father of the kids looks a lot like Garth Marenghi.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
That is the most exact description of this season so far lol. Be on the lookout for a plague doctor with a long 'beak', a soldier, and child in the first 4 episodes. They call attention to 2 of those in one scene each. Im just starting eps 5.
Oh! I did see the plague doctor a bunch googling it but I thought it was just like wardrobe or part of the background lol, I totally missed that.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
I really like this so far. Sure it's a slower burn then season one, but man, the acting has been really good. I am super impressed with the kid who is playing Miles. I'm really enjoying it. Haven't seen too many ghosts in the background aside from a few obvious ones. I loved that aspect of season 1 so I hope we get some of that in later episodes

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
three episodes in, loving it. i don't personally feel it's overly slow, the writing and acting are strong enough to keep me engaged. definitely less scary than Hill House, but i'm finding the story more engaging

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well i just watched episode 5, im drunk, dont know what the fuck, did a google search, and half spoiled myself, i think..

so i assumed Hannah Grose somehow died in the well because Peter the possesed boy killed her but yet i was very confused how everyone treated her as real the whole seasone etc etc? ugh

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first two and will watch some more tomorrow, I really like it but the "slow and only medium scary" is a big part of what I liked about the first season. This kind of suspenseful horror is pretty effective on me as opposed to the CG-Ultra gore a lot of shows do, which is cool too.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We watched the first 2 episodes and love it so far. I think I prefer the slower pace to be honest, I'm not big on jump scares etc. They get old fast. Hope it carries thru to the end.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I do prefer the first episode of season one as it kind of throws you in and keeps your attention until the last episode, while the first episode of season 2 is a very slow start and classic introduction that works better in a movie, but stick with it!

I was the opposite! I thought Hill House's first episode was good, but had very little suspense or scares in it. This opening episode has a lot of long hall shots, some great tense acting, and of course the kids aren't the protags but the creepers themselves in a way. Kids are always creepy.

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
Mike Flanagan in a nutshell. I don't know of any other director that can make me care, be interested in, and empathize with a character, and also make them feel like actual human beings (as opposed to, well, characters in a story), all within ten minutes flat. He's a fucking wizard.

As I understand, he got help writing Hill House to focus on directing, but wrote alone Bly Manor in its entirety while directing only the first episode.

Shouldn't have turned a novella into a s series. Would've been better as a movie.

While I agree it has pace issues, series is what gives plenty more depth to characters in the end. There are no bad or evil to the bone protagonists as opposed to your usually demon nun from hell. Yeah, coming to see Bly Manor for the thrill is not gonna make it.

Well i just watched episode 5, im drunk, dont know what the fuck, did a google search, and half spoiled myself, i think..

so i assumed Hannah Grose somehow died in the well because Peter the possesed boy killed her but yet i was very confused how everyone treated her as real the whole seasone etc etc? ugh

Yup it's confusing on purpose but plenty of signs prior about that character acting suspicious. And maybe a nod to The Sixth Sense. As with Hill House, a second viewing might be interesting while you know everything.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
As with last season, I'd give it until episode 5 if you are on the fence as that is where things start picking up and become clearer. If you're not interested at that point, it's probably not for you.
Fucking hell.....again?! I thought maybe after last season it would be quicker to get off the mark this time around. Guess I'll give it a miss then.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Episode 5 was MUCH better than the first 4, hope it stays at this quality for the rest of the season.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it.
Full series spoilers:
I thought it was really good, one thing that bothered me was the changing of adult actors at the end. I guess it would have spoiled the twist they were going for but I wished they had just aged the actors with makeup or something. I'm not sure how old the actor that played older Owen is, but I didn't think he looked drastically older than Rahul Kohli did, but they gave Carla Gugino grey hair.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I am really enjoying this, especially as an adaptation. Flanagan is deft with his touch.

Certainly better than The Turning. God damn.