• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus everyone in this is so...weird hahaha just adds to the unnerving atmosphere.

O Vet

Oct 30, 2017
I'm very interested in this, the Haunting of Hill House was amazing. It was scary in a good way, more unsettling than scary really. This trailer promises good stuff already. I also like the rendition of Home Sweet Home in it.

Original:

Is this a standalone film?

It's a series, 9 episodes

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
All Episodes up or weekly like the Boys?
(sry for the stupid question, I´m not at home and my Internet sucks ass out here)

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
It's not sucking me in as much as the first season. Idk, I never liked the AHS style of reusing the same actors in different roles.

desertstrike

Alt account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Just finished reading the novella this season was based on - The Turn of the Screw. I was not a fan of the prose but the actual story and the critical analysis were both very interesting. Lot of pent up sexual frustration in those Victorian times.

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched any of this yet, but I just looked up the soundtrack on Apple Music, glad to see the Newton Brothers have done this again. The main titles theme is a fantastic evolution from the Hill House version.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm 4 episodes in and I'm pretty lukewarm on this. It's just not as engaging as Hill and it's plot is almost at a snails pace. Hope it picks up in the back half of the show.

Nov 27, 2017
Can't wait to jump into this, as I loved Hill House. I'm doing the 31 days of horror movies thing, so I'll have to find some time to fit it in.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Only 3 episodes in.. I don't hate it, but it's definitely a step down from season 1. At this point I'm losing patience and just wanna know why everyone is so damn weird

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
On ep 2 and I'm loving it, it has this fairy-tale vibe about it, and the cast is great. The kid is a little creepy fucker isn't he?

I have no idea where this is going which I like. Its definitely a slow burn tho.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
This is very much what I was expecting when they said it was going to be Turn of the Screw. It's slow, not exactly a horror, and gives a feeling of being unsure. Like, you know everything is wrong, but you can't quite label what it is.

I'm curious to see how they handle The Romance of Certain Old Clothes and The Jolly Corner.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
For those that have watched it how is the audio/speaking? Saw somewhere it takes place in the past. I watched the witch recently, that scarred me on the old english or w/e that was. Could barely understand what they were saying and the subs on Appletv was delayed by like a second.

Bulletzen

Oct 30, 2017
For those that have watched it how is the audio/speaking? Saw somewhere it takes place in the past. I watched the witch recently, that scarred me on the old english or w/e that was. Could barely understand what they were saying and the subs on Appletv was delayed by like a second.
Most of it is set in 1987. Bad accents abound but olde english? You will be fine!

Last edited:

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
It´s a really slow burn. Im sure it´s good but I dont know if it is what im looking for right now.
Adored Hill House tho so i think I´ll stick with it.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
This was a nice follow up to The Haunting of Hill House. The best way to describe it is horror and gothic romance.

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
Binged in one sitting today.

A little disappointed, not as good as Hill House (one of my all time fav). Way less scary, the rythme is not quite good and the story go unnecessary into some places for... Reasons ? Hurting the pace of the show.
But stellar acting and strong story and characters. It's so... Human. Got a little tear at the last shot.

Hope they'll cook something with this creative team again. Come on Haunting of whatever !

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Just watched the first episode. I'm absolutely loving every minute of it. <3

But stellar acting and strong story and characters. It's so... Human.

Mike Flanagan in a nutshell. I don't know of any other director that can make me care, be interested in, and empathize with a character, and also make them feel like actual human beings (as opposed to, well, characters in a story), all within ten minutes flat. He's a fucking wizard.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm much more interested in this season as a drama than a horror.

I feel Hill House was a horror with some drama. Bly Manor is a drama with some (very) mild drama. I didn't really care for where the drama parts of Hill House were going and was more interested in the hidden ghosts (annoyed they didn't form that much of the story, if any) and the bent-neck lady, but I really am interested in Bly Manors story. Though I am interested in finding out what the mirror ghost is all about.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Henry Thomas needs some type of award for the worst English accent I've ever heard. Accents don't usually bother me.. but I have no idea what's going on here.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the first 4 eps, it's not nearly as interesting as hill house was for me at this point but it's still pretty good.

Bulletzen

Oct 30, 2017
Just finished the series, and I liked it. Not as much as Hill House, but I still really liked it. The series has so much heart, I was welling up with tears at the end. Fuck!

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halfway into the first episode i can already tell its gonna be good. Difference between creepy shows like this and others is this series has a lot of emotion behind it.

edit: Just spotted a hidden ghost already. Wonder how many there will be.

edit2: its been in like 20 shots now lol

Last edited:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Watching episode 2 now and haven't seen a single ghostie that has not been signaled to the viewer with either a sound cue or the camera just focusing obviously on it, kind of disappointing. It also feels really trope-y.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I'm like halfway through episode 4 and have to go to bed for the night, but I don't love it so far. I'm interested to see where the plot goes, but this doesn't feel like a horror show/movie at all. Very slow, boring at times even. Kinda disappointed.

Oct 25, 2017
My thoughts on this so far, having reached episode 7, is that... it's just not very good.

Which sucks. I thought Hill House was great, with full-bodied characters, interesting stories, places and motivations. The horror was incredibly balanced with the drama. Even with its rough edges it had these incredible, stand out moments, and maintained intensity even (and sometimes especially) in its quieter moments.

Bly Manor on the other hand is superficially following in a lot of the footsteps, understands how to be loud and quiet, and is visually fantastic and smart, but the core of it feels so slow. It's unable to prop each of its characters up at the same level and doesn't maintain the energy of the first series. Its scares are weak, unreliable, telegraphed, and... frankly, uninteresting.

It sucks because I *like* it. It does have these moments that are brilliant, acting that is nailing everything, and at least one episode (so far) that taps deeply into what made the first show great in my eyes, but it is too slow. Even when it kicks up the pace, it feels like its reaching for something it never finds. The drama is overbearing here and stuffy.

I'm hoping it will all come together in the end and have a strong couple of pay-off episodes, but at this point I'm not holding my breath.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the first two episodes today, then restarted with my partner in the hopes that she would enjoy it as well. We watched the first two episodes again and she's tapping out.

I enjoy it so far, and I'm curious to see what comes of things so far but I think it will have trouble topping Hill House for me, which I thought was sublime.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Review score on Metacritic continues to tumble. Down to 62 now. So basically 8/10 for Hill House and 6/10 for Bly Manor. Very disappointing.