• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Choose!

• The Haunted Mansion

Votes: 191 60.1%
  • Pirates of the Caribbean

Votes: 113 35.5%
  • I've never ridden either. I'm a bad person.

Votes: 14 4.4%

• Total voters

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on the location. If you're talking Disneyland, it's POTC. If you're at Disneyworld, its' The Haunted Mansion

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Your cadaverous pallor portrays an aura of foreboding. Almost as if you sense a disquieting metamorphosis. Is this haunted room ACTUALLY stretching... or is it your imagination, hmmmm? And consider this dismaying observation: This chamber has no windows and no doors. Which offers you this chilling challenge: TO FIND... A WAY OUT! AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

...of course... there's always... MY way

EDIT: I see that MY way was being too slow :(

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
DW HM over Pirates for sure. Ive only been to DW and only as an adult, so no kid nostalgia. But Haunted Mansion makes me feel like a kid, and Pirates is not that fun of a theme personally.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
Those are easily my two favorite Disneyland rides. Between the two, I would go with Haunted Mansion, because the theming is right the fuck up my alley, and because I like the types of visual effects used throughout the ride, It's a bit more creative and just more fun than Pirates for the most part.

That said, I think Pirates is the technically better ride. Lets break this down.

Starting with the queue. They're both relatively uneventful. Both have some music. Pirates has a talking animatronic parrot that gets you into the mood for the ride ahead. Mansion only has a ghost effect in one of the windows, but IIRC, it's not worked for some time. Hopefully this is something fixed when the refurbish is completed.

Preshows. Mansion owns this hands down. You're let into an elevator that really gets you into the mood, and you're lead down a hallway with all sorts of cool visual effects before you enter the ride vehicle. The preshow on Pirates really just kinda non existent. You enter the ride vehicle immediately and are launched into the bayou before going past a banjo player and a big drop. The theming is good, but does not pull you in like Mansion does from the start. Might be worth noting here that the drops are decently fun, and there's nothing like that on Mansion.

The ride vehicle. This is where Pirates shots ahead. Mansion stops. A lot. I've been on both rides more times than I can remember and I've only been stopped mid-ride on Pirates I think once (although it was for over 20 minutes). Mansion seems to go down at least half the times I ride it. Part of this is unavoidable, because the ride vehicle is a conveyor belt, they need to slow the ride down or even stop it in order to get people from wheelchairs onto the ride itself. It's understandable, but it breaks the illusion especially if you get stopped in a corner. Because Pirates is basically a system that constantly pushes boats forward, you generally dont have any issues until the boats back up at the end.

World building. Pirates just feels massive. You go from caves to a full blown city with crowds of animatronics. Hard to top that when you're literally in a single house. Mansion opens up at the end with the graveyard scene, and its fantastic, but it just does not feel as big as a full city. Also, Mansion has been showing its age recently. It's clear that they've put more upkeep work into Pirates. That said, the ride is currently undergoing a massive renovation, so this might change.

Finally, they keep fucking with Mansion for Nightmare Before Christmas. It's cool and all, but it runs from September to January which means that for a significant portion of the year, my favorite ride has been fucked with and the lines are crazy longer than usual. Kinda wish they would just run it from mid November to January at the very most.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Depends on which version.

Shanghai Pirates is up there.

And Paris's Phantom Manor is god tier as it's the same and then the whole ending sequence is like leftover pieces of the planned Western River Expedition.

And obv both Disneyland versions are still all-time classics.

Very difficult.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
So I've only gone to Magic Kingdom in Orlando:

Haunted Mansion's queue for sure. Just a more fun set piece.

But for the actual ride? Pirates. Like, the ship battle with the guns going off and the smoke and the music. So good. Haunted Mansion is cool, but is so uncomfortable. I loved both though.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

aDI0YYh.png

I've got an album of various professional bands and singers covering theme park songs, and one I particularly love is the Barenaked Ladies' take on Grim Grinning Ghosts, which I always feel sounds more like They Might Be Giants:

(And, for the record, while it's not quite as distinctive, also loving the Pointer Sisters incredibly 70s Yo Ho (A Pirate's Life For Me):

)

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
When I was a teenager and had an annual pass (late 90s, early 00s), Disneyland had the best cast member working the haunted mansion pretty often. He was a super tall, skinny, almost gothy looking dude and he got really into it. I can't remember his name anymore, but he was definitely among my favorite of the cast members that I got to know during my visits back in the day. Any fellow old timers remember who I'm talking about?

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haunted Mansion because there's not enough cool Gothic horror type stuff.

And Paris's Phantom Manor is god tier as it's the same and then the whole ending sequence is like leftover pieces of the planned Western River Expedition.

Loved it up until the old west stuff, but the bride story and the atmosphere up to that point is legit god-tier and actually scary for something at a Disney park.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
WDW Haunted Mansion is one of the best all-round rides on the planet. Theme, tone, music, execution, the lot.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
I might have voted Haunted Mansion but it's been so long since I've seen the real version instead of the weird Nightmare Before Christmas version that I can't remember the details.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I love both (I adore the work Marc Davis created), but Pirates is ever so slightly better in my eyes.

Definitely Pirates for me, that water smell makes me think of riding it as a kid. Also, there's some super cool science involved with that particular smell.
It's strange being nostalgic for it, but every time I smell bromine I'm always taken back to Disney.

The smell also no doubt contributes towards my choice.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
The Haunted Mansion, it has a cool nightmare before christmas themed makeover for Christmas, and that's pretty cool. Pirates does have the water smell, though..

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been to a Disney park for like 20 years but when I was a kid I made our family go on the Haunted Mansion first because it was my favorite ride. Both are classics though.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
Pirates for the smell, and i like boat rides a bit more. The only smell better is the forest in E.T.'s ride at Universal.

Haunted Mansion is just as good though, but I really recommend checking out Phantom Manor at DL Paris. The story is uh...kinda legit scary.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Haunted Mansion, although the last time we went a couple of years ago the ride stopped working while we were in the graveyard area and my son freaked the fuck out lol, but still love it. PoTC is cool, but I liked it more before they added Jack to it.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I like Haunted Mansion (Zero in the hallway, sweet ghost doge!), but the Pirates atmo gets me every time. Every. Time.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the Pirates of the Caribean one that goes really fast at the end and gets you soaked? Because I really liked that one.

I don't remember Haunted Mansion, is it the elevator one? I didn't ride it because I didn't had the guts.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Mansion, 100%. I haven't been to DL POTC in over a decade, though. MK's is fine but MK's Haunted Mansion blows it out of the water, and Phantom Manor is debate-ably even better. MK's Mansion is the best theme park ride in America (I do like Land's indoor queue but I hate its overlay).

I wouldn't count Shanghai's POTC, it's so far removed from the others it's a whole different beast.

If I could only ride one dark ride for the rest of my life it would be Haunted Mansion

I never get tired of it

I could spend 24 hours in that ride.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yep
www.etsy.com

MortAndCo - Etsy

Shop The Happiest Scents on Earth by MortAndCo located in Riverside, California. Smooth shipping! Has a history of shipping on time with tracking. Speedy replies! Has a history of replying to messages quickly. Rave reviews! Average review rating is 4.8 or higher
magiccandlecompany.com

Magic Candle Company® | Theme Park & Resort Scents You'll Love

Shop Magic Candle Company® for the best home fragrances, gifts, bath & body products! Browse our large selection of theme park and resort scents and escape to your happy place today!

Cherubae

Oct 31, 2017
Beaverton, Oregon, USA
I've been to DL, WDW, and HK, and I would say HK's Mystic Manor is more delightful than Haunted Mansion in either US-based park. Visually it is pretty cool, and the constant-moving ride car makes it a funner experience compared to the simple, slow track of the HM. But because of the speed, it is hard to see everything in a single ride through Mystic Manor. But while we were there, the crowds were non-existent; you could basically get off the ride and go back on after walking through the empty que-lines that are set up to accommodate US-style wait lines. Riding Mystic Manor more than once won't take hours-long waits like with Haunted Mansion, and you're bound to see something you didn't see the prior experience.

DL's Pirates is better than WDW's though.

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
Pirates of the Caribbean is the best ride ever. I will never falter in this belief.

I really like Pirates.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
POWER RANKINGS (USA parks only):

1) Pirates (Disneyland)
2) Haunted Mansion (Magic Kingdom)
3) Haunted Mansion (Disneyland)
POWER GAP
4) Pirates (Magic Kingdom)

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Your cadaverous pallor betrays an aura of foreboding, almost as though you sense a disquieting metamorphosis. Is this haunted room actually stretching? Or is it your imagination — hmm? And consider this dismaying observation: this chamber has no windows and no doors… which offers you this chilling challenge: to find a way out!

Of course, there's always my way.
It took me like 15 years to realize that there was a body hanging from the ceiling because I would close my eyes during the whole elevator sequence.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
Disneyland Pirates is so sick

I had no idea what to expect from that ride but aside from the dumb Johnny Depp shoehorns the atmosphere is nuts

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
The smell of the water at Pirates of the Caribbean > Any ride on earth

This person gets it.

POWER RANKINGS (USA parks only):

1) Pirates (Disneyland)
2) Haunted Mansion (Magic Kingdom)
3) Haunted Mansion (Disneyland)
POWER GAP
4) Pirates (Magic Kingdom)

Disneyland Pirates is definitely better than Disney World. The best day of my life was when my sister and I got to Disneyland one morning and no one was there. The park was damn near empty. I made her ride Pirates with me 5 times consecutively.

She was annoyed. I was in heaven.

DitaParlo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
haunted mansion is INCREDIBLE, my fucking boyfriend took a picture with flash on in the ride and they stopped everything haha

Nov 13, 2017
Yep
www.etsy.com

MortAndCo - Etsy

Shop The Happiest Scents on Earth by MortAndCo located in Riverside, California. Smooth shipping! Has a history of shipping on time with tracking. Speedy replies! Has a history of replying to messages quickly. Rave reviews! Average review rating is 4.8 or higher
magiccandlecompany.com

Magic Candle Company® | Theme Park & Resort Scents You'll Love

Shop Magic Candle Company® for the best home fragrances, gifts, bath & body products! Browse our large selection of theme park and resort scents and escape to your happy place today!
Have you used them? I am so tempted to buy one but they are pricey!

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
This person gets it.

Disneyland Pirates is definitely better than Disney World. The best day of my life was when my sister and I got to Disneyland one morning and no one was there. The park was damn near empty. I made her ride Pirates with me 5 times consecutively.

She was annoyed. I was in heaven.

Oh man, I miss the days when the parks were open late as fuck (midnight, sometimes as late as 3am for resort guests).

My siblings and I would re-ride stuff like Splash Mountain and Tower of Terror non-stop when the parks were empty. To the point where we'd trade jokes with the Cast Members we kept seeing over and over in the queue. Great memories

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Have you used them? I am so tempted to buy one but they are pricey!
I haven't, but I think you can find some reviews out there. I know there are a couple of different candle makers who make Disney scented candles.

haunted mansion is INCREDIBLE, my fucking boyfriend took a picture with flash on in the ride and they stopped everything haha
Once went during Grad Nite season and some shit kid tried to toss a quarter into the ballroom not realizing there's a pane of glass there. He chucked it pretty hard so you could hear the THUNK