• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, June and Lawrence would be like on a constant surveillance detail.

You kind of do just have to roll with the shit that doesn't make sense because otherwise it is a well crafted and acted show.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
My wife dug her nails into me from the minute they went for that walk. Really liked the terminator vibe the score gave to June when she went to get the gun from under the mattress.

I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop knowing how this show is rarely large victories, but was stoked to see they kids made it. Then seeing that girl get reunited with her dad and lost it.

Luke has so many allies from around June, there has to be some sort of plot cooking up now that they keep getting more and more sources of information.

Felt the season was slow, and got tired of JUNE STARES INTO CAMERA for most of it, but the last 3 or 4 episodes really brought it home.

Walker_Boh

Oct 25, 2017
Boise, Idaho
I really hope we get more Canada storylines next season. I want more Luke, Moira, Emily, and now Rita and some more focus on Fred and Serena's legal troubles.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still think June should have gone to Canada at the end of season 2 and then turn the show into more of a political thriller on trying to take down Gilead.

We don't need anymore of June being a handmaid imo. We get it.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
So for how long are they going to drag this out? Like in terms of, how many times are June almost getting out, but not because they're going to milk it? It's getting ridiculous at this point.

Yeah, it's utterly absurd that the writers have hit reset on June four times in two seasons. I appreciate that quite a lot happens in the back half of this season and there's only one push of the button, but, still, come on. Shit or get off the pot.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's utterly absurd that the writers have hit reset on June four times in two seasons. I appreciate that quite a lot happened in the back half of this season and there was only one push of the button, but, come on. Shit or get off the pot.

Yeah it's clear they view her as indispensable to the show which I disagree with. Yes she's a strong actress but the plot armor is ridiculous at this point.

Or at the very least put her in canada. At this points it's actually like let her flex her skills outside of being offred or kill her off completely. It's like how many emotional stares into the camera for 30 seconds do we need.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
I still think June should have gone to Canada at the end of season 2 and then turn the show into more of a political thriller on trying to take down Gilead.

We don't need anymore of June being a handmaid imo. We get it.

This is where I'm at. I also thought season 2 was going to go that way. At this point, I don't think I can take any more of her getting abused in Gilead. It needs to turn into more of an offense against Gilead. Watching the fall of Gilead has to be what the payoff of this show is.

That said, I did like the finale. My fiance was balling watching the kids come off the plane and seeing Luke looking for June and Hannah. But I really hope they have a timeline to wrap things up in a season or 2 more. This is not a show that can sustain too many more seasons unless things change up drastically.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
I wanted June to get out and then have a season of her and like dealing with the changes in each other but especially dealing with Fred and Serena from a position of power

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
They should have had June escape to Canada, or she should have died. Now they have to make some contrived reason as to how she stays alive and somehow stays a handmaid to save her daughter.

Instead what they should have done, is have her die as she saw the plane fly overhead, and then focus the show on Luke somehow teaming up with a defected Nick on the battlefront that end up liberating Hannah.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think what kind of bothered me throughout the planning phase of getting 52+ kids out was "how the fuck are they gonna fit everyone in the plane".

We saw in a previous season that getting a plane in and out of Gilead was difficult, even for a small crop duster, and yet here we are with a literal airbus landing in an airfield with zero resistance (and a singular guard), and able to take off without any sort of countermeasures?

A "Staff meeting" can only go so far to divert attention away from it, but having an open airfield big enough to support a full-sized jet (regional or otherwise) with zero staff onhand to notify people of a plane landing is a bit of a stretch of suspension of disbelief, considering the rules the show itself established in previous seasons.

Likewise, if they're going door-to-door to find a single lost child, and presumably the other 50 or so children are also missing, how did no one think to

a) go check on their own kid
b) if they were all drugged or passed out too, how did the people conducting the search not break down a door when no one answered?

Finally, the roaming search party scene in the woods with the searchlight.. I was eyerolling at how blatantly they were missing the swarm of people moving by. Even in dark conditions, that light would have some falloff, and with all the girls WEARING PINK, your eye would catch some movements (and you know, point the light down a foot or two!).

The finale was fine, but there were so many plot contrivances / matters of convenience during the escape where I checked out.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think what kind of bothered me throughout the planning phase of getting 52+ kids out was "how the fuck are they gonna fit everyone in the plane".

We saw in a previous season that getting a plane in and out of Gilead was difficult, even for a small crop duster, and yet here we are with a literal airbus landing in an airfield with zero resistance (and a singular guard), and able to take off without any sort of countermeasures?

A "Staff meeting" can only go so far to divert attention away from it, but having an open airfield big enough to support a full-sized jet (regional or otherwise) with zero staff onhand to notify people of a plane landing is a bit of a stretch of suspension of disbelief, considering the rules the show itself established in previous seasons.

Likewise, if they're going door-to-door to find a single lost child, and presumably the other 50 or so children are also missing, how did no one think to

a) go check on their own kid
b) if they were all drugged or passed out too, how did the people conducting the search not break down a door when no one answered?

Finally, the roaming search party scene in the woods with the searchlight.. I was eyerolling at how blatantly they were missing the swarm of people moving by. Even in dark conditions, that light would have some falloff, and with all the girls WEARING PINK, your eye would catch some movements (and you know, point the light down a foot or two!).

The finale was fine, but there were so many plot contrivances / matters of convenience during the escape where I checked out.

It was supposed to be a cargo plane based on the dialog and then it was a 737 or Airbus. So they fucked it up themselves or they literally couldn't get a c130 or similar for filming.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Really liked this season. But they should just end it. Feels like it only can get worse from here.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I would've bet money she was going to make it out this episode. Most of the principal characters are already in Canada, and Luke's conversation with Fred seemed to hint at the story exploring his relationship with a radically changed June in the near future. More than anything, Serena's there. Handmaid's Tale is at its strongest when their arcs are orbiting and those two elite actors can play off one another. Hell, their story is the show in a lot aways, so I figured the writers wouldn't keep them separated for long.

And who knows, maybe there's some swerve and June makes it out sooner than we think. I highly doubt they'll spend the entirety of next season building towards Escape Mission IV.

Edit: and yeah, I don't see any way around Lawrence being fucked: Kept the border open, BS meeting, plus the captured Martha will spill the beans about his House being the rendezvous spot.

Last edited:

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoyed the finale. Surely there's no real way around pretty much every Martha going to the wall?

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Still love the show overall, but the total dropping of pretty much everything they established in the previous 2 seasons in order to continue the storyline of the 3rd season has been slightly disappointing.

June would have been on the wall by like Episode 5 of this season. Instead she somehow just keeps getting away with everything, and while it makes for an entertaining show, it also makes for a inconsistent one.

Still, an inconsistent Handmaid's Tale is a fantastic show. I just would have preferred they kept things a bit more grounded in the world that had already been established. My wife thinks I am crazy but up until this season everything has been fairly realistic and plausible for a terrifying dystopian nightmare. They just ignored all of that especially on the second half of this season and in particular especially for the finale.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
June would have been on the wall by like Episode 5 of this season. Instead she somehow just keeps getting away with everything, and while it makes for an entertaining show, it also makes for a inconsistent one.
There were moments like this, but I think most of it is explainable in that June has (relative) power and leverage thanks to Gilead using her to bring back her daughter. If they killed June or sent her to the colonies, they'd lose that bit of their credibility with Canada and the US.

BTW - has the show ever shown any sort of maps or anything to help distinguish the relative geographies of Gilead vs. USA? I imagine Canada is unchanged, but I don't think Gilead is all of the US, right?

Oct 28, 2017
There were moments like this, but I think most of it is explainable in that June has (relative) power and leverage thanks to Gilead using her to bring back her daughter. If they killed June or sent her to the colonies, they'd lose that bit of their credibility with Canada and the US.

BTW - has the show ever shown any sort of maps or anything to help distinguish the relative geographies of Gilead vs. USA? I imagine Canada is unchanged, but I don't think Gilead is all of the US, right?
I think it was shown in one of the episodes but they posted this one their Twitter

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Very cool, thank you!

I know they discussed it on the show, but is the idea that the colonies were destroyed by nuclear warfare, and the people sent to the colonies are basically cleaning up all the radioactive waste?

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
so now June is Moses?

I was actually thinking this was more akin to Schindler, and saving the kids from a terrible fate (except I guess June would be the one wearing red, in this case).

Great episode, and I really wish the seasons were shorter since this had so much bloat. There were a few episodes where I wasn't paying too close attention, but felt like I missed nothing. The last few? My full attention. There's always plot issues and whatnot, but it's still enjoyable to watch and see what happens.

Fred throwing Serena under the bus this time was something else. He's not wrong though, she certainly helped build a lot of the empire and did a number of awful things. She certainly wasn't under duress for a lot of choices she made. Their relationship has always been all sorts of messed up, but was funny to see her not get her immunity like she thought.

One thing I did think about that wasn't on my mind until this episode: where are all the young boys? Boys are favored in Gilead, but the only time I think we've ever seen them is from the one commander with like 10 kids or whatever. But the ones that were found when Gilead was formed, where did they go? They aren't elites so they wouldn't learn to become future commanders. Would they be like baby chicks, where the males are often disposed of, in preference of egg-laying hens? Did they ever explain this but I missed it?

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
I was actually thinking this was more akin to Schindler, and saving the kids from a terrible fate (except I guess June would be the one wearing red, in this case).

Great episode, and I really wish the seasons were shorter since this had so much bloat. There were a few episodes where I wasn't paying too close attention, but felt like I missed nothing. The last few? My full attention. There's always plot issues and whatnot, but it's still enjoyable to watch and see what happens.

Fred throwing Serena under the bus this time was something else. He's not wrong though, she certainly helped build a lot of the empire and did a number of awful things. She certainly wasn't under duress for a lot of choices she made. Their relationship has always been all sorts of messed up, but was funny to see her not get her immunity like she thought.

One thing I did think about that wasn't on my mind until this episode: where are all the young boys? Boys are favored in Gilead, but the only time I think we've ever seen them is from the one commander with like 10 kids or whatever. But the ones that were found when Gilead was formed, where did they go? They aren't elites so they wouldn't learn to become future commanders. Would they be like baby chicks, where the males are often disposed of, in preference of egg-laying hens? Did they ever explain this but I missed it?
I would bet they are sent out to "schools" as soon as they are of a certain age

Dec 12, 2017

There are definitely boys in Gilead, but June and the rest of the Mayday Resistance made the right pick in prioritizing the girls first. The worst outcome for the men is that they become guardians.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
There are definitely boys in Gilead, but June and the rest of the Mayday Resistance made the right pick in prioritizing the girls first. The worst outcome for the men is that they become guardians.

That's a good point, where they just end up being watchdogs for Gilead. The elites are the only ones that can live the lavish (aka 'normal') lifestyle with actually raising kids and well, commanding, anyways.

Foov

Oct 25, 2017

There were a bunch of boys in the plane group - not as many as girls but there were quite a few peppered throughout.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Thing is Serena and Fred were barely the main villains this season.

Maybe so, but they're June's nemesis' within the framework of this story. And I just feel that ending the Waterford's story in Canada would be anticlimactic to June's overall story arc. They're utter defeat should come at June's hand, not a panel of judges. I think that a good portion of season 4 will revolve around the Waterfords being publicly stripped of all their pretensions of morality before somehow succeeding in making it back to Gilead to regain their stature.

For all the intrigue the show did this season in explaining their power infrastructure, they haven't committed themselves to building up any characters to effectively replace Fred and Serena. I don't think the writers have intentions of writing them both off, as they're central in the novel. And I feel in my heart that Serena moreso than Fred is June's arch rival, at least from a thematic standpoint.

I did find this season's exploration into the theme of redemption (or non-redemption) to be interesting. It may perhaps be a stretch, but it felt similar to Amon Goeth's non-redemption in Schindler's List, where upon Oskar Schindler's gentle prodding, tries to suppress his true nature by extending mercy to the workers at his villa only to relapse back into his usual depraved routine in less than a day.

Serena Joy trafficked her husband and her own freedom in exchange for the child she felt entitled to. Her mutilation may also have factored in her decision to defect as well, but all the same, it was a more of a gesture of self-preservation than of genuflection on her part.

I'm honestly interested in how a person in her situation functions when they're denied the redemption they feel they're entitled to.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Definitley dropping the show after this season. If there's a Word-of-Mouth rivaling drama's greats next season I may consider picking it back up, but after already dragging a bit in Season 2 this simply put the nail in the coffin. I didn't care for the finale either. I'm a bit letdown by the show's intrigue sinking like a rock over time While I'm curious what will become of the Waterfords now, (June would be estatic to hear the timeline I'm sure). June has only become less interesting to watch as the events have unfolded.

The camerawork is still good, Elizabeth Moss is still good, but the sum has been lesser than its parts for a while now. The writing simply isn't there to support the length. I do hope for the show to make a great bounceback though, at least for the viewers.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Saw all the seasons in the past 2 week. Seasons 1&2 were great, but season 3 felt all over the place with a lost sense of direction. By episode 9 of season 3, i was already to drop the show. Everything just felt like a side stories and fillers. However, i enjoyed the last 4 episodes.
As the show goes on, i find myself caring less about June or the majority of the main characters. It kind of takes me out of show when June gets away with a lot of things considering how militant and strict it was in the first 2 seasons.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Cross post from the other thread:

Handmaid's Tale Sequel Eyed at Hulu

MGM Television and Hulu are developing The Testaments, Margaret Atwood's sequel to her best-selling dystopian novel The Handmaid's Tale.

MGM and Hulu are currently in talks with Handmaid's showrunner Bruce Miller about how the upcoming novel can become an extension to the series, which was recently picked up for a fourth season by Hulu. The Testaments picks up more than fifteen years after Offred's final scene in The Handmaid's Tale novel, and is narrated by three female characters. It will be published on September 10.

So either A. the main show will be wrapping soon to make way for the sequel, B. they're going to try juggling both shows at once (airing the sequel while the original is still on, which...would be interesting), or C. they're going to let The Handmaid's Tale go for however long and then do The Testaments some time after it ends.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
So im only about half way through Season 2 so far, but I have a question. Does Gilead have their own version of the bible? Or just the Old Testament?

I just dont get how people are so accepting, so quickly. The best I can tell its only been 3 years. But every single woman is okay with losing so much freedom? Even the wives cant read and write lol. Theyve done a great job making this world hell.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
It looks like it's going to keep focusing on the same small amount of characters instead of actually develping the bigger politics of the universe, which are far more interesting than whatever garbage they've been doing with it so far.

And there's a certain line that it's not just cringe-inducing, but bordering on meta-parody.

It's not like I had great expectations after S3's odious finale, but there's nothing to make me hopeful about S4.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So im only about half way through Season 2 so far, but I have a question. Does Gilead have their own version of the bible? Or just the Old Testament?

I just dont get how people are so accepting, so quickly. The best I can tell its only been 3 years. But every single woman is okay with losing so much freedom? Even the wives cant read and write lol. Theyve done a great job making this world hell.
I don't understand the the timeline in the book, it takes place what 100 years into gilead regime. The show is kinda fuzzy.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dope trailer. Seems there is a lot of scenes from the third season, which means they dont have many new ones yet.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the the timeline in the book, it takes place what 100 years into gilead regime. The show is kinda fuzzy.
That would make the world, or rather the people accepting the world, more believable imo. But I think the timeline in the show is a lot more compelling for a tv show.

I also just finished watching Peacock's Brave New World, which is what made me decide to check this show out, and man this world is soo much more depressing lol.