• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I don't get why Lawrence felt they were going to come for them. The death of Winslow wasn't tied to her at all. He wasn't even supposed to have seen her there. No one knew, and he was disposed of.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
One of the best eps of the season (if not the best). So much stuff happened, and was enjoyable to see.

-Lots of burns towards the Waterfords. With Serena as baby-crazy as she was, you would think that she would've wanted to at least adopt one (but nah, let's get this crazy birth ceremony with a baby that's forcefully surrogate and whatnot)

-As mentioned above, why was Luke with Fred? The punch was enjoyable to finally see him get some sort of payback with it all. He's toying with Luke, but he's right that she's different (after the trauma he and others caused...)

-Those are some nice holding cells! Unless it's special because of some international detainee thing, Canadian prisons don't really look quite as nice as Scandanavian ones :x

-I do feel bad for Mrs. Lawrence... Too ill to really do anything about Gillead and being denied treatment and whatnot. She meant well, but yeah she did talk too much :/ Honestly, I thought June was just going to smother her with a pillow while she walked around the room thinking about what to do about the situation. But I mean, she would've gone eventually...

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if June thought about the fact that letting Mrs Lawrence overdose may lead her being forced to switch from Commander Lawrence. It doesn't seem like you can have a handmaid without a wife. Though they haven't explained how quickly that change would occur. But I suppose if the plane escape works, and she doesn't leave, she was changing to a different Commander anyways.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I wonder if June thought about the fact that letting Mrs Lawrence overdose may lead her being forced to switch from Commander Lawrence. It doesn't seem like you can have a handmaid without a wife. Though they haven't explained how quickly that change would occur. But I suppose if the plane escape works, and she doesn't leave, she was changing to a different Commander anyways.

yeah my wife thought about that too. I assume they give a mourning period and then would ship her off somewhere else.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
yeah my wife thought about that too. I assume they give a mourning period and then would ship her off somewhere else.

If it's within a week of the plan, it should be enough time before she leaves, I would think... Well, as long as the finale doesn't end with "oh no, June's plans failed, she's still stuck there and gets to go back to her bedroom again!"

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder which route they are going to choose with Tuello and Serena. He's hitting on her since the first time they met and I'm not sure if it's legit or if he is trying to manipulate her even more (he strikes me as highly intelligent and probably is an extremely reliable contact for the Americans and Canada). But as stuck up as she is about her ''Christian principles'' I'm not sure if she would have an affair with another man while Fred is still alive. She really likes to think of herself as the perfect Christian woman no matter what she does, but I feel that things like adopting and adultery are no-nos in her warped view of what is God's will.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I wonder which route they are going to choose with Tuello and Serena. He's hitting on her since the first time they met and I'm not sure if it's legit or if he is trying to manipulate her even more (he strikes me as highly intelligent and probably is an extremely reliable contact for the Americans and Canada). But as stuck up as she is about her ''Christian principles'' I'm not sure if she would have an affair with another man while Fred is still alive. She really likes to think of herself as the perfect Christian woman no matter what she does, but I feel that things like adopting and adultery are no-nos in her warped view of what is God's will.

I feel like season 4 will partially focus on how Fred and Serena are able to get back to Gilead. Serena will end up relapsing either because it's not within her nature to genuinely reform, or when she realizes that she has no claims to June's child. And despite the current acrimony between her and Fred, I feel that she'll return to his side to resume a more explosive feud between them later on down the line.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
She got shot. The Marthas perpetrated it. There, done, next season ho-hum status quo.
Please, please, PLEASE prove me wrong, Handmaid's Tale.

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
Great episode.

I wonder what the Martha's grand plan that they talked about is. Mass assasination or bombing? Could tie in to how they escape punishment for this escape.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
The last 10 minutes...damn. Luke's eyes were just heartbreaking.
I was tearing up the whole time. The season may had its ups and downs, but I still enjoyed it very much so season 4 can't come soon enough.
I wonder if they chose to name this episode "Mayday" because it's where the more organized rebellion will come into the picture.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what, the finale aired already?
I only just learned that it airs on Wednesdays instead of Sunday (like it does on Crave in Canada, fuck), but it's still the middle of the day...?

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was a very strong episode, but the show has meandered so much and mitigated the harshness of Gilead to such a degree that I had a hard time being emotionally invested in what was happening. I'm also afraid that they'll just return to the status quo next season, so I'm kind of just in a "let's wait and see what S4 is before I get excited" mode right now.

She got shot. The Marthas perpetrated it. There, done, next season ho-hum status quo.
Please, please, PLEASE prove me wrong, Handmaid's Tale.

I was hoping the opening scene was a flash forward but then they revealed it to be a flashback to when June was first captured. :/

Even if they do return to the status quo for June next season, I hope that Fred and Serena's situation continues to worsen. It would be awful if they both somehow got to go back to Gilead.

Walker_Boh

Oct 25, 2017
Boise, Idaho
I'm not crying, you're crying.

I don't think they'll go back to the status quo per se. I think they will take her to Joseph's place to heal up but she won't be a handmaid anymore and instead be public enemy number one.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping it was a flash forward too, like the plan failed and they had to adapt. Would've been too bleak even for them I guess. I'd love a season with June as a guerrilla on the run causing a ruckus all over Gilead.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
There is no status quo to go back to. They really need to put in a ton of effort to just have June go back to Lawrence and carry on, because it doesn't make sense. There is 3 dead/missing Commanders so there's a power gap, 52 kids escaped, they know Martha's were involved, June was already about to be assigned a new Commander anyway, and she might not be able to have kids anymore due to her gunshot wound. They set S4 up to be massively different already.

This isn't even touching on Nicks absence, and with 52 kids missing I think they might show us war next season bringing Nick back into the fold. With the power gap, Nicks position only gets stronger so I imagine June will try to find him.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

-Maybe next season.

-Glad Rita made it out, at least. Looking forward to her encounter with Serena next year.

-Hated to see Luke go through all of that knowing Hannah wasn't on the plane.

-Mazzy Star was the perfect way to cap off a stellar season of song choices.

-Speaking of music, the score during the hangar scene was fantastic. I'm talking Giacchino/McCreary in their prime good.

I definitely don't see a path back to the 'status quo' after this episode. Look at the shit storm baby Holly Nicole caused. After the letters, the Waterfords' testimony, and now a jet full smoking guns that will resonate the entire planet, I think we're heading towards War on Gilead. Plus I can buy June avoiding capture/strengthening her resistance movement amid all the chaos and with the Guardian presence decreasing as they get sent off to fight.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
A small but major thing that says a lot about her character can be seen in the scene where Tuello and Serena were talking and he was arresting her. Tuello says June but when Serena tries to retort she called June, Offred. Thing is that Serena knows her name, it's not like it's a shock. But even then, even when in that situation she still called June- Offred.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Gilead was freaking out when 1 baby made it across the border. hoo now 50+ have and a gang of handmaids and marthas. can't wait to see the aftermath.

Mar 9, 2018
I can't stop thinking about this. Well done writers. Some things, you had to stretch the imagination to imagine work. But the emotional beats worked so well.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
giphy.gif

-Maybe next season.

-Glad Rita made it out, at least. Looking forward to her encounter with Serena next year.

-Hated to see Luke go through all of that knowing Hannah wasn't on the plane.

-Mazzy Star was the perfect way to cap off a stellar season of song choices.

-Speaking of music, the score during the hangar scene was fantastic. I'm talking Giacchino/McCreary in their prime good.

I definitely don't see a path back to the 'status quo' after this episode. Look at the shit storm baby Holly Nicole caused. After the letters, the Waterfords' testimony, and now a jet full smoking guns that will resonate the entire planet, I think we're heading towards War on Gilead. Plus I can buy June avoiding capture/strengthening her resistance movement amid all the chaos and with the Guardian presence decreasing as they get sent off to fight.

I feel that at some point, either or both Fred and Serena will need to make it back to Gilead as they haven't established anyone of credible presence to replace them. Within the collective story, I don't think the Waterfords being arrested in Canada would work as definitive closure to their arcs given how indispensable they've been to June's story. As far as convention goes, I feel there would need to be a final clash between June and either Fred or Serena as Gilead is going up in flames.

One other thing I'm wondering is whether or not Hulu is committed to going all in on budget to depict military conflict as a backdrop.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Excellent finale.

This is already renewed?

Figured they'd kind of leave June dying kind of ambiguous.

Would have been a good series finale honestly.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So for how long are they going to drag this out? Like in terms of, how many times are June almost getting out, but not because they're going to milk it? It's getting ridiculous at this point.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
So for how long are they going to drag this out? Like in terms of, how many times are June almost getting out, but not because they're going to milk it? It's getting ridiculous at this point.
June can practically walk to Canada if she wanted to at this point, the obstacle was always her getting Hannah first. I think by the end of S4 we will see her reunite with Hannah, and their journey out being S5 (final season). Anything beyond two more seasons would hurt the series probably.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
June can practically walk to Canada if she wanted to at this point, the obstacle was always her getting Hannah first. I think by the end of S4 we will see her reunite with Hannah, and their journey out being S5 (final season). Anything beyond two more seasons would hurt the series probably.

How do you get Fred and Serena back to Gilead? I have a hard time believing that the show will allow the two main villains of the show, not to mention June's principle adversaries to recede into the background with no back up or replacement characters. Remember Big Love? I think them killing off Harry Dean Stanton's character hurt the show irreparably because his replacement, Alby, was so portrayed as an impotent lightweight that no one took him seriously.

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How do you get Fred and Serena back to Gilead? I have a hard time believing that the show will allow the two main villains of the show, not to mention June's principle adversaries to recede into the background with no back up or replacement characters. Remember Big Love? I think them killing off Harry Dean Stanton's character hurt the show irreparably because his replacement, Alby, was so portrayed as an impotent lightweight that no one took him seriously.

Thing is Serena and Fred were barely the main villains this season.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, at first I thought episode 10 was the finale, but caught up on everything. Those three episodes really changed my view on this season.
Yeah, you need some suspension of disbelief, but it was really cathartic. I don't think it's back to status quo at all, maybe because I never thought June would be leaving on that plane.

Serena and Fred are probably gonna reveal a lot to the Canadians in their petty fight against each other, Nick and his army will probably be involved in something, the Martha plan, Commander Lawrence needs to go out guns blazing if he goes down, Aunt Lydia will have a meltdown, June has all the Marthas and handmaids behind her (they also have some weapons now if they picked up the guards' ARs), we haven't seen the consequences of the death of high commander Winslow etc. Actually looking forward to next season for once, that's fun.

EDIT: Rewatching the ending, that final shot is sick. That's some tight drone flying.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, at first I thought episode 10 was the finale, but caught up on everything. Those three episodes really changed my view on this season.
Yeah, you need some suspension of disbelief, but it was really cathartic. I don't think it's back to status quo at all, maybe because I never thought June would be leaving on that plane.

Serena and Fred are probably gonna reveal a lot to the Canadians in their petty fight against each other, Nick and his army will probably be involved in something, the Martha plan, Commander Lawrence needs to go out guns blazing if he goes down, Aunt Lydia will have a meltdown, June has all the Marthas and handmaids behind her (they also have some weapons now if they picked up the guards' ARs), we haven't seen the consequences of the death of high commander Winslow etc. Actually looking forward to next season for once, that's fun.

EDIT: Rewatching the ending, that final shot is sick. That's some tight drone flying.

The thing is though, this whole plot doesn't really make sense.

A bunch of handmaid's and Martha's go missing at the same time all the kids do.

Like June is actually the only one with a realistic shot of not being handed over to the eyes because Lawrence is cool and her house didn't have any kids living there.

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The thing is though, this whole plot doesn't really make sense.

A bunch of handmaid's and Martha's go missing at the same time all the kids do.

Like June is actually the only one with a realistic shot of not being handed over to the eyes because Lawrence is cool and her house didn't have any kids living there.
The commanders are off doing their thang at the security conference and the wives are probably too busy in their rooms doing nothing.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The commanders are off doing their thang at the security conference and the wives are probably too busy in their rooms doing nothing.

In this very episode a wife called in the eyes. I also don't remember it being an overnight conference, just a meeting. Also, you know, the house to house searches happening in this episode I would think they'd have a pretty good sense of who went missing when the kids went missing.

Like it's a huge plot hole if they just run with, and the handmaids went home and no one even noticed they were gone.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I really liked the finale, especially when compared to the season 2 finale, which probably made the shitlist of the top 5 worst season closers I've ever seen. Everything since the hospital room bottle episode has been fairly solid, which surprised me because everything preceding that had been more-or-less time wasting dog shit. Well done on the crew working on this show; I never expected midway through this season that I would have ANY interest in going into a season 4, but here I am actually kind of intrigued.

That said, I get concerned about the suspension of disbelief required to enjoy the show. It's very high already; like how did all these Marthas, Handmaids, and children just disappear all at the same time and then stroll through the woods quietly enough to not be noticed by the Eyes who were already on high alert? I laughed my ass of when the baby Rita had started making noise, so she goes "Shhh", and the baby just immediately shuts up like "Oh, yeah, we gotta be quiet, right". Besides that it feels like a monkey detective could put together that June and/or Lawrence are up to some sneaky shit behind the scenes, but yet there's almost no pressure on them from the Eyes or other Commanders beyond what went down in "Witness".

All I know is if they try to pull a reset where June and all the Handmaids and Marthas just go on back to what they were doing like they didn't just load a hundred kids onto a plane, I'm gonna lose it.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was Rita literally the only adult to escape with the kids? Was the plan for all the Marthas and Handmaids to escape as well and then the one pair of guards at the airport threw it all into disarray? I'm shocked all the Handmaids just stuck around after they were basically told by June she was sacrificing herself to further the escape.

I legit laughed when the plane landed and literally every ancillary character was on the refugee team there to receive them at the airport. THE GANGS ALL HERE!

Shlice

Nov 6, 2017
I really liked the finale, especially when compared to the season 2 finale, which probably made the shitlist of the top 5 worst season closers I've ever seen. Everything since the hospital room bottle episode has been fairly solid, which surprised me because everything preceding that had been more-or-less time wasting dog shit. Well done on the crew working on this show; I never expected midway through this season that I would have ANY interest in going into a season 4, but here I am actually kind of intrigued.

That said, I get concerned about the suspension of disbelief required to enjoy the show. It's very high already; like how did all these Marthas, Handmaids, and children just disappear all at the same time and then stroll through the woods quietly enough to not be noticed by the Eyes who were already on high alert? I laughed my ass of when the baby Rita had started making noise, so she goes "Shhh", and the baby just immediately shuts up like "Oh, yeah, we gotta be quiet, right". Besides that it feels like a monkey detective could put together that June and/or Lawrence are up to some sneaky shit behind the scenes, but yet there's almost no pressure on them from the Eyes or other Commanders beyond what went down in "Witness".

All I know is if they try to pull a reset where June and all the Handmaids and Marthas just go on back to what they were doing like they didn't just load a hundred kids onto a plane, I'm gonna lose it.

I agree. They got away with it at first because you saw how rare and important Handmaids are so they can't kill June.

Then you see in DC there are thousands of them and families have 6 kids.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
It was okay. Some solid moments, but it continued down the path of being completely absurd. At least it was a better finale than last season, but I mainly am just left wondering how much they're going to shake up next season (or not..).