• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
HaloInfinite-2022Roadmap-April.jpg

Much of the discourse over the past several months around Halo Infinite has been deeply focused on the state of the F2P Multiplayer suite - whether that has been the new content pipeline, the monetization mechanisms inherent to the battle pass model, the armor core system, and other such items. I think there are a lot of really good ideas floating that 343 Industries and the community have discussed that would remedy many of the games ongoing troubles. So I wanted to make a post focusing on something else:

Enhancements and features that 343 could bring to the Campaign experience (outside of Co-Op and Mission Select)

Now, we already know that several huge features are coming to the Campaign - notably, the ability to replay missions and cooperative play (split-screen and online with friends.) Not to mention that it is clear that we will be getting additional campaigns within the Halo Infinite launcher over the coming years. But I think there are some other items that I think would really enhance the Infinite campaign sandbox, both in the present and over the course of the lifetime of Halo Infinite - and I say that as a person who adored the Halo Infinite campaign!

• A Resettable Map:
    • As I was thinking about improvements to the Halo Infinite campaign experience, I decided to dive into my post-campaign save state. I still have skulls to find, but I lamented the fact that there was really no way for me to re-approach the many Banished keeps and map activities again with all of the spartan abilities and gear that I had accumulated. The opportunity to "prestige" the map, going to a relatively clean slate, fresh with Banished bases to take down and marines to rescue would be great. While many found issue with the singular biome of the main story, it was rare to find anyone who didn't enjoy the raw minute-to-minute gameplay found within the open world and this would be an opportunity to have those experiences again with the gear you have already earned.

• I think this could be paired with an overall higher level of enemy difficulty, distinct from the traditional options in the main menu - wherein enemies are better equipped, there are more deadly vehicles, etc.
  • Monthly or Seasonal High Priority Targets:
    • When I first heard the news that the Zeta Halo map would be dotted with High Priority Targets, I was excited at the prospect of boss-type enemies coming to Halo. And I rather enjoyed the various encountered they featured in during my initial campaign play through. After beating the game, imagined that these could monthly or seasonal bosses that we could log back on to our save to take down (alone or with our friends.) Unfortunately, that hasn't really played out - and I think that is an incredible missed opportunity for new, ongoing content to flesh out this part of the game.

• I think a useful comparison would be how the modern Hitman games have handled the elusive targets - so perhaps they could be time sensitive.

• They could bring additional weapon variants into the sandbox, and/or other unique unlockables for the MP suite.

• Not to mention these could be enemies and encounters that flesh out the ongoing seasonal narratives that 343 is pushing in Multiplayer!
  • Theater/Photo Mode Integration:
    • The Halo Infinite campaign has some truly magnificent vistas/areas and moments that are begging for high quality captures that can be shared with the community - unfortunately, Theater Mode as it currently stands is incompatible with Campaign. I think such a mode would be an excellent addition to Campaign, especially as Co-Op is added into the experience!
  • Firefight Mode:
    • Now, hear me out here: I am not huge fan of Firefight (was never really a huge fan of Horde-type multiplayer modes generally) but there is a section of the Halo Infinite campaign that is perfectly suited for a wave-based battle experience, and I think it would be a tremendous feature to bring into Halo Infinite's campaign (for singleplayer or Co-Op)
  • Miscellaneous Ideas:
    • Killable Ally NPCs

• Randomized Marine Rescue Missions and Banished Propaganda Towers that reset at some regular cadence (daily, weekly, monthly, etc.)

• Time Trials around the map that incentivize creative/speedy movement with vehicles or the grappleshot

• More miscellaneous battles that take place across Zeta Halo

• Monthly/seasonal Audio logs to find that flesh out the post Infinite narrative and/or the ongoing season arcs

Obviously, these range from minor changes to some rather resource intense deliverables, so I am not trying to indicate that 343 MUST implement these or want it to seem like I am shaming them for not having them in the game, but I think these would be worthwhile additions to an enhanced and growing Halo Infinite Campaign sandbox - especially as new open worlds and missions are released!

What do you all think? Anything you would love to see included in the Halo Infinite Campaign(s) going forward?

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
I haven't finished the campaign yet but I would need some incentive to come back besides finding stuff on the map.

The new Hitman games, as you already mentioned them, we're brilliant at making me come back from time to time. Granted, I am burned out by Hitmab for the time being but the ideas implemented are great!

I think some kind of rogue-lite system would be great, too. Or randomised "dungeons" something like that.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
honestly I kinda just want them to release a big campaign chunk every year or two. New storyline, map, enemy types, side missions, weapons, collectibles, etc

The more incremental stuff you're describing would better fit the live-service angle but I feel like we would have already seen them start rolling that stuff out if that were the plan

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Arbiter. Just add the Arbiter in some way. That is all. I don't care if any features are added, just give me the actual Arbiter in a story mission.

OP
OP
Eamon

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
honestly I kinda just want them to release a big campaign chunk every year or two. New storyline, map, enemy types, side missions, weapons, collectibles, etc

What you're describing would better fit the live-service angle but I feel like we would have already seen them start rolling that stuff out if that were the plan
I am definitely excited at the prospect of a new campaign every year or two - perhaps one or two types of environments each time. Like I could totally see 343 addressing the criticism they have received by doing a Campaign in a Desert environment, and then a snowy one, etc.

I also imagine some of these elements I had in the OP, could be introduced in such larger content drops like you referenced. But you're right to note that they align more closely with the live model that they have for MP

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Other planets. it's really disappointing we went from the post CE Halo games traveling across different worlds, to back on a Halo ring only again.
I get they were trying to recapture that Halo feeling and do a soft reboot of sorts, but im really not interesting in playing CE with a grappling hook.

Gonzito

Banned
Apr 5, 2022
Spain
New biomes and new sidequests. The map is huge but I felt like there was barely anything interesting to do in it

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I already played the campaign, i'm not going back unless there's significantly more stuff

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Use the campaign map for FFA multiplayer. Leave enemy AI intact. Maybe some kind of shrinking zone that the players have to stay within? Hmm

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
More biomes please, I want a classic snowy, dessert, beach sections. :(

They could make an amazing beach section with a niagara falls style waterfall due to the ring damage... with a small marine base hiding there? Idk.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Love the idea of resetting or "prestiging" the map. Maybe you could do it with affixes like "each camp has extra enemies" or "all camps have vehicles" things like that to spice it up. The seasonal or rotating targets is also cool. I would do all this stuff just for fun, but you could also tie cosmetic rewards to it.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Marines need to be able to drive vehicles and get on the side of the Scoprion. Straight up embarrassing during the third to last mission. ODST's and Spartan 4's as allies too.

Score attack and speed run times when mission select comes in.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
I would have loved an update where the game world would come alive. Have some of your towers and bases come under attack again, have the game spin up some random named guys to take out, etc.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
How bout the co-op that has been included in all the previous games? Still waiting for that.

The open world also feels very samey. Which is what I worried about when it was first announced. I would of thought there would of least been portals or something that took the player to different planets and biomes. Again, the previous games had some pretty cool variations in environments.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada

The more incremental stuff you're describing would better fit the live-service angle but I feel like we would have already seen them start rolling that stuff out if that were the plan

This is what I want, along with a dedicated Firefight mode for Infinite.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Co-op and once that's ready, something along the lines of regular banished bases / dungeons that you can do together ala Strikes from destiny

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I just want new maps and story missions to go along with it. I'm not going to log into the game to play any seasonal content.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Are we not allowed to say "add co-op and more difficulty options"? That's all I want really. More types of environments/biomes would be a plus.

Anything else I can think of seems difficult enough to implement without hitting the "mind as well make another game" threshold. Maybe my standards for this game are too low.

Let marines drive vehicles and follow you along on missions.
I would love a chauffeur, though Id imagine getting them to drive well in that large of an open world with such topology is difficult.

Still, I loved being driven around in FFXV.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
You're welcome to do whatever you want lol - I was moreso getting that out of the way, since we already know it is on the way

I think Id feel like Im just asking for a new game if Im like "add more dynamic events happening across the map for me to run into", or "make a new map in a new looking area that's comparable to what we got in the game already".

Almost all of my complaints are multiplayer focused, and I guess I actually am mostly satisfied with the campaign. I think had the multiplayer been as good as what Id expect for a CoD game this many months after release, I would excuse the shortcomings of the campaign.

EDIT: Second thought, I would love if they added more store and lore stuff. Like give me more things like skulls to find, or small areas/scripted events to find that somehow give me more lore.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
New biomes, forerunner dungeons, more vehicle encounters, scarabs and last but not least blood splatters.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
new biomes. I'm surprised there's only one

when i say it out loud it sounds like a dumb reason to turn off from the game but honestly just having one makes the game feel so monotonous and bland and I couldnt bring myself to play more knowing there would be no visual progression in that way throughout the campaign. still want to go back and beat it but at this point i'm waiting for co op

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Oh fuck really!?!? I read it wasn't, gonna fire it up that was my #1 tbh
Yep. Df covered it. There's still improper frame pacing it seems if you're on a mode that differs from your refresh rate. If your xbox is 120hz play in 120hz and it should be smooth. Its recommended to play campaign in 60fps and 60hz video settings though.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Stuff that adds to the sandbox. Start adding more unique weapons , enemies, vehicles, and I like the idea of weekly or monthly targets.

They created an open world Halo but didn't add enough post game content to keep me playing. So they need to start adding to it. An expansion with a new biome would be great, but keep working on the base game in the meantime.

They also need to fix the way weapon selection works at bases at it takes forever to scroll through then, and each base needs ammo boxes so you can actually restore ammo without having to spawn the gun you're carrying again.

Oct 27, 2017
More environments and additional story content that isn't so repetitive. I enjoyed it but once I realized there wasn't much mechanically to the campaign and the set pieces/cut scenes all blended together i dropped it for MP

Drachen

May 3, 2021
Honestly? I'd rather just have a new game. I already finished the game and am ready to move on.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The obvious one is a new expansion, but taking campaign assets and making firefight out of them sounds like a great idea.