• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Can anyone explain to a complete simpleton what this means? Are we now theoretically going to get original fan/community-made VR experiences made using the HL: ALYX tools?

And also, how easy is this stuff to load and run? I only use Steam VR through Oculus Link.
That is what it means; It's mod time baby.

I'm not sure what you mean with your second question. It shouldn't be any more difficult than accessing the Workshop tab of the Steam page for Alyx.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so excited. Workshop support for Pavlov has been INSANE. This will be next level I'm hoping.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Uhhh so I updated Half Life Alyx and went to the DLC options per the instructions but not seeing the Workshop Tools to install. Anyone else able to get set up yet?

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ryzen 7 3700X CPU
ASROCK Fatality AB350 Gaming K4 Motherboard
16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz RAM
GTX1080 8GB GPU
750W PSU
Windows 10 64 Bit
2560 x 1440p 144hz G-Sync Monitor

My PC is more than enough for VR, but sadly some games still don't play nice and Half Life Alyx is one of them. Even on medium settings, my GTX 1080 struggles a tiny bit.

I'll give Vulken a try.
I like that listed your monitor for some reason but not your actual VR headset lol

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh so I updated Half Life Alyx and went to the DLC options per the instructions but not seeing the Workshop Tools to install. Anyone else able to get set up yet?

I didn't have a DLC tab at all till I restarted Steam. Then the DLC tab was there along with the tickbox to install it.

Prior to that there was also a 2.8GB update I downloaded so check for that too.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Yeah so for anyone curious, to access the new SFM you have to launch it through the HLA Workshop Tools. Without checking any settings, my projects will load but I can't see anything in the viewports. Guess I'll be messing with it a bit to see if I can work on anything in it and see how different it is. Or maybe you can ONLY use this version for Half Life Alyx stuff right now, idk.

As far as I can tell there are some small UI font changes but nothing else stands out as being very different from regular ass SFM.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
Off to a good start
x04M8D8.jpg

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
That is what it means; It's mod time baby.

I'm not sure what you mean with your second question. It shouldn't be any more difficult than accessing the Workshop tab of the Steam page for Alyx.

I've never loaded mods in VR before, it's literally a whole new thing to me. If I ever want to play anything I Steam VR, I just load it up through my Link and then play it from the in-VR menu, but I've never done any workshop stuff before.

This is enormously exciting!

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Ryzen 7 3700X CPU
GTX1080 8GB GPU
750W PSU
Windows 10 64 Bit

My PC is more than enough for VR, but sadly some games still don't play nice and Half Life Alyx is one of them. Even on medium settings, my GTX 1080 struggles a tiny bit.

I'll give Vulken a try.
I played through it on a weaker system with no issues on low.

2600 at stock
16GB RAM
GTX 970 (no OC)
Oculus Quest wireless via Virtual Desktop

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Jesus, that's beautiful. Honestly, I'd take an entire Firewatch with those graphics retooled for VR.

So, and I don't mean to seem entitled because I realize it's not for me, but what exactly is the point of the "combat encounter" Valve threw onto the Workshop? Like, what is there to glean from that that modders can't just take from HL:A itself? Not being glib, I just don't understand why it exists and feel like it's probably over my head.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Ryzen 7 3700X CPU
GTX1080 8GB GPU
750W PSU
Windows 10 64 Bit
Oculus Rift CV1

I'll give Vulken a try.
That's really strange. I also have a 3700x but a 1080 Ti instead and had zero problems with Alyx even at high settings with a Vive. I think you shouldn't be running into issues with your setup.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, that's beautiful. Honestly, I'd take an entire Firewatch with those graphics retooled for VR.

So, and I don't mean to seem entitled because I realize it's not for me, but what exactly is the point of the "combat encounter" Valve threw onto the Workshop? Like, what is there to glean from that that modders can't just take from HL:A itself? Not being glib, I just don't understand why it exists and feel like it's probably over my head.

Probably just a basic example map for modders to look at. I remember when Valve shipped the MvM mode in Team Fortress 2 had a similar example map for map makers to see how to set everything up correctly for that mode.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Would it be possible for someone to make a multiplayer mode using these tools? I'd love to see a reimagining of HL2's mp with the gravity gun using Alyx's assets.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone explain to a complete simpleton what this means? Are we now theoretically going to get original fan/community-made VR experiences made using the HL: ALYX tools?

And also, how easy is this stuff to load and run? I only use Steam VR through Oculus Link.
Knowing Valve, the answer to your first question is: Yes! Garry's Mod VR here we come.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
You know, I dislike a lot of valve's decisions in terms of game development but their community support and tool support is really amazing. I love how everyone knows Source 2 is gonna bring (and is bringing I guess) some of the best experiences in gaming. Can't wait for many other great hits that will come out of this community.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if only the economic requirement to play this thing as intended was not ridicolous...

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Ryzen 7 3700X CPU
GTX1080 8GB GPU
750W PSU
Windows 10 64 Bit
Oculus Rift CV1

I'll give Vulken a try.

I have a very similar system--slightly slower RAM, and I run dual 1920x1200 monitors, but otherwise basically the same--and had a largely trouble-free experience. The main issue was stuttering and textures loading in very low-res; both of these problems went away when I freed up resources by closing other open programs like web browsers. Other than that I don't recall any issues, even playing through Oculus Link to a Quest.

Holy shit, it took less than a day for cool-ass gameplay mods to pop up.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't get the mod maps to launch? I'm clicking them in the main menu and nothing is happening. Anyone else getting this issue?

Callum

Oct 27, 2017
I can't get the mod maps to launch? I'm clicking them in the main menu and nothing is happening. Anyone else getting this issue?
Yeah it's kind of confusing, you have to enable them from that addons menu and then go to start game and pick the map you want to play.