• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Half-Life: Alyx has been updated to include
Steam Workshop support
. This includes a beta release of our community development tools, as well as support for Linux and the Vulkan rendering API, and a few small quality of life updates.

Workshop and Editor Tools Beta Release​

Half-Life Alyx's level editing tools are now open to the community! You can create new levels, models, textures, and animations for Half-Life: Alyx, and using Steam Workshop you can browse and play everything the community has uploaded.

Want to make your own VR physics sandbox or a giant Rube Goldberg machine? Design a new combat encounter featuring a dozen Combine soldiers at once? What about creating the world's longest Multitool puzzle, or imagining a whole new district of City 17?
Crack open the tools yourself and make it happen!
If you just want to play what the community's been making,
browse the Half-Life Alyx Steam Workshop page
to try out the latest and most popular addons.

This is the first Beta release of the Alyx Workshop tools suite, and we intend to add to and improve them in the coming weeks. Included in this release are new or updated versions of:
  • Hammer, the latest version of the Source 2 level editor.
  • Material Editor, the tool for creating and tuning materials in Source 2.
  • ModelDoc, a tool for viewing, editing, and compiling models with animation, collision, and other gameplay attributes.
  • AnimGraph, our animation tool used to create complicated animation setups with blends and transitions.
  • Particle Editor, for making new particle effects.
  • Subrect Editor, for creating smart texture sheets known as "hotspots."
  • Source Filmmaker, the Source 2 cinematic renderer and animation tool.
In addition to these tools, the update includes several sample maps. We've included these to demonstrate and explain how we authored enemy encounters in the game, as well as showcase some new features of the Half-Life: Alyx level art pipeline including tile meshes, static and dynamic cables, and texture hotspotting. The entire set of Half-Life: Alyx maps is also included as editable source for reference - this includes a large collection of interactive objects and prefabs. We'll have news on more features and some smaller additional tools and examples in an future update.

We've also started writing
Half-Life: Alyx Workshop Tools documentation
. If you're looking to start your first addon, this is a good place to start. This is a beta release of the development suite and we are still writing documentation for many of these tools, but we hope in the meantime you will dive in and learn by exploring for yourself. We can't wait to see what you make!

steamcommunity.com

Steam :: Half-Life: Alyx :: The Half-Life: Alyx Workshop is now open

Expand the world of Half-Life: Alyx with new levels and addons made by the community, or make your own with the level editing tools beta release.

Dec 23, 2017
Nice!

Does this mean we could see mods turn into fully fledged games like Team Fortress 2, Neo Tokyo or other Source games?

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Come ooooon, Black Mesa VR!

Last edited:

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Best VR game on the market about to get a whole lot better 👀

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This is incredibly exciting for me. Half Life changes the way people think about game design, but the Source tools changed the way games were made; What sort of games were made. Giving people easy to use tools to create VR games, using a relatively polished engine?

Fuck yes.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
Dec 23, 2017
Depends on the rig.
It's worth a shot if your PC is strugglinga a bit and you need that extra performance.

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU
ASROCK Fatality AB350 Gaming K4 Motherboard
16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz RAM
GTX1080 8GB GPU
750W PSU
Windows 10 64 Bit
2560 x 1440p 144hz G-Sync Monitor
Oculus Rift CV1

My PC is more than enough for VR, but sadly some games still don't play nice and Half Life Alyx is one of them. Even on medium settings, my GTX 1080 struggles a tiny bit.

I'll give Vulken a try.

Last edited:

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
So maybe we might start getting character mods and stuff for Alyx?

Also, do you need Alyx for film maker 2?

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Can anyone explain to a complete simpleton what this means? Are we now theoretically going to get original fan/community-made VR experiences made using the HL: ALYX tools?

And also, how easy is this stuff to load and run? I only use Steam VR through Oculus Link.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
hmm, only seeing the pre-order dlc, no workshop tools to download.

Edit: seems the update broke something in my install. trying verifying file integrity option in Steam.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
I totally missed that this included the Linux version. Will try that out. I wonder if I will get less random hitches compared to playing it using Proton.

carmofin

Nov 15, 2017
This is really good news. Having played around with Unity a lot, which tons of VR games of today use as well, I'm tired of the horrible performance backdraws that brings with it.