• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Wanted to try this since the initial reveal! I do wonder how this will look and run on the original X1 though...

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
exploring a planet overrun with Gunk.

You have the means to clean it up, and doing so allows the planet's wildlife to flourish. However, said wildlife contains valuable energy/resources, and your partner, who is much more practical and money-oriented wants to strip-mine the planet once you get the gunk out- since you both are on the hook for the mortgage on the ship that brought you there. , while you would much rather preserve nature. Supposedly, there's gonna be something done with that dynamic.
In addition, as we can see from the preview, there's going to be the element of upgrading your equipment to reach new areas, with shortcuts being available once you make it past a particular challenge in the area.

I'm still not 100% sure if the game features any combat or not, which I guess isn't a good thing in terms of how well they are marketing the game.

If it's structured like a Metroidvania I could see myself liking it, but they need to tell people what the game actually is..

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
If it's structured like a Metroidvania I could see myself liking it, but they need to tell people what the game actually is..
I haven't watched the post in the OP, which is 90 min long, but I assume that probably gives a better idea than a bunch of snippets from showcases and the 1st 15 min of the game.

EDIT: so some of the trailers do show "Gunk Monsters", so there's most likely combat. I just don't recall it being featured in any trailers prominently.

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Image and form has not let me down with the Steamworld games, excited to try this on game pass. Do we have a release date?

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched the post in the OP, which is 90 min long, but I assume that probably gives a better idea than a bunch of snippets from showcases and the 1st 15 min of the game.

EDIT: so some of the trailers do show "Gunk Monsters", so there's most likely combat. I just don't recall it being featured in any trailers prominently.

I saw a little of it, skipping through to various section, but didn't get any wiser, but yeah, maybe it's explained better, if you watch it all.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I'm very excited for this, I love a good action platformer. Looks like this might scratch that Luigi's Mansion itch since I don't have a Switch lol.

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
Might be worth it but im getting NMS vibes - sucking up gunk and scanning is gonna get tiring real quick. Story/bosses/something better hold it up.

Munroe

May 17, 2019
Looks fine, looking forward to playing it this Thursday. Been waiting for a new 3d platformer adventure game. Not entirely sure what people are expecting from the literal first 15 minutes of the game.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Steamworld Devs have my sword.

If its bad its bad, but until I play it, Ill trust them.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I love the steamworld games, so I'm definitely going to check this out.

Jun 15, 2020
Going by @Mentalist's post earlier, it sounds like there's some kind of monsters, but it's still unclear whether you fight them or not:
I actually did scroll through the longer video after posting this. It did show a little combat. It seems you suck up The Gunk and then launch it at the enemies. And can maybe suck up smaller monsters to launch at bigger ones even.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I actually did scroll through the longer video after posting this. It did show a little combat. It seems you suck up The Gunk and then launch it at the enemies. And can maybe suck up smaller monsters to launch at bigger ones even.

I think it's worth keeping an eye on this, even if it's a little unlear as of now, how it's structured. The Steamworld people usually make great games.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Glad this is a Gamepass game, because i don't know what I'm watching from the video.

RavenK92

Nov 3, 2020
Given that this was the only game from the initial XSX games reveal that really stood out to me I'm definitely gonna give it a try when it drops

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
so this is a real life simulation? Got it.
My exact thought when I read that post :)

Edit -on topic - with the early upgrade abilities I was getting "journey to a savage planet" which was a really enjoyable exploration with light combat game.

Very interested to see where this goes, and will out in a few (2 or 3) hours to see.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
Didn't expect how narratively dense it seems seems to be a mood

Slight mischief maker vibes too, hope they knock it out akin to Kena

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
they've been teasing this on gamepass for a while and i'm more hyped to play this than halo. def my kind of game.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Looks chill. Maybe a little too chill gameplay wise.
Lots of standing there, sucking up gunk, picking up bio-balls, throwing them, going back to pick up another one just to throw it again.
With all the elements seen so far it reminds me of Kena X Luigi's Mansion X Mario Sunshine X No Man's Sky (in a good way).

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I loved Kena and Concrete Genie.
For some I reason I really enjoy games where you clear areas of black/grey shit and make it colorful.
Epic Mickey, Prince of Persia (2008), Okami, de Blob, Chicory, The Pathless. All about cleansing corruption from the world. I think we like cleaning things up because there's something reparative about it all.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way the gunk looks as it gets sucked up is so satisfying! Can't wait to try this.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
I'm torn. On one hand, I've really enjoyed the Steamworld games I've played. On the other hand, this looks like a kind of bog-standard 3rd person action game. I guess I'm still not sure what the "hook" is?

Same for me, I don't see the unicity of it at the moment. The sucking mechanic like in Luigi's Mansion?