• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Any news on review embargo?

Still wish they would have made a big Steamworld Heist sequel instead, but will give this a go on game pass.

Last edited:

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
I'm torn. On one hand, I've really enjoyed the Steamworld games I've played. On the other hand, this looks like a kind of bog-standard 3rd person action game. I guess I'm still not sure what the "hook" is?

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a chilled experience but that wasn't the most riveting gameplay footage lol Wasn't particularly drawn in

FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017
What is this game? Like what is the structure?

Edit: Eh, this looks a little rough around the edges.

Last edited:

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
They've been worryingly quiet about detail on this game.
Barely any released gameplay and it's out in 3 days…

Right now it's seemingly coasting by on "from the makers of Steamworld" and little else

Last edited:

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's on Game Pass (right?), so I will give it a shot, but my problem with the game, has been my problem since they first showed it, which is that I think visually it's just kind of bland. Just these rock and stone environments with some weird looking flora, but I'm hoping there are other biomes and environements that I haven't seen any of the preview stuff, otherwise to me it kind of screams Recore.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
It's on Game Pass (right?), so I will give it a shot, but my problem with the game, has been my problem since they first showed it, which is that I think visually it's just kind of bland. Just these rock and stone environments with some weird looking flora, but I'm hoping there are other biomes and environements that I haven't seen any of the preview stuff, otherwise to me it kind of screams Recore.

Damn, I thought I was the only one I saw Recore in this

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Looks very pretty, but my concerns are the same in that we haven't seen much and its dropping this month.

Steam World was great so that gives me some confidence.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. Being from the Steamworld devs means I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, but this footage doesn't look very good and it's more than a little sketchy how little marketing MS has done for this. Even the release date announcement was very blink and you'll miss it

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It reminds me of Island Saver, which was a f2p/not great kids game that had you clean up pollution while learning about banks. It looks OK but there's nothing I see that looks particularly challenging or fun.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Looks pretty, but what is this game about? I haven't really been following this so I'm not sure?

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Looks great and I love Recore, can't wait to try this!

Edit: Damn not on PC gamepass I guess?

Edit: It is! For some reason the Android gamepass app was saying console only but installing now. I think this looks right up my alley the more I watch.

Last edited:

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Love the look. Not sure if gameplay would be for me. Aso, how is mantling not as core to a platformer as jumping by this point.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The creepy art style of the humans is a deal breaker for me. Look like Muppets or something

GrahamGoring

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, considering how I&F's Dig games utterly absorbed me, this looks weirdly unengaging and bog-standard. I hope I'm wrong and it is as addictive as their prior titles but nothing in the trailers yet has me intrigued. Also, there's a little bit of stuff which looks surprisingly unpolished, like the way that "rope" of plant just pops in while the top part unfurls at 12:33 in the IGN video.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Yeah, considering how I&F's Dig games utterly absorbed me, this looks weirdly unengaging and bog-standard. I hope I'm wrong and it is as addictive as their prior titles but nothing in the trailers yet has me intrigued. Also, there's a little bit of stuff which looks surprisingly unpolished, like the way that "rope" of plant just pops in while the top part unfurls at 12:33 in the IGN video.

I have the same thoughts. Every one of their previous games the look was always instantly engaging, even if I didn't necessarily end up loving the game that much (Steamworld Quest for one.) This just looks... standard. But, it might just not preview that well, which is always a possibility. Fingers crossed, it comes out and is incredible.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Meh - not really impressed by anything I have seen from this game

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Looks pretty, but what is this game about? I haven't really been following this so I'm not sure?
exploring a planet overrun with Gunk.

You have the means to clean it up, and doing so allows the planet's wildlife to flourish. However, said wildlife contains valuable energy/resources, and your partner, who is much more practical and money-oriented wants to strip-mine the planet once you get the gunk out- since you both are on the hook for the mortgage on the ship that brought you there. , while you would much rather preserve nature. Supposedly, there's gonna be something done with that dynamic.
In addition, as we can see from the preview, there's going to be the element of upgrading your equipment to reach new areas, with shortcuts being available once you make it past a particular challenge in the area.

I'm still not 100% sure if the game features any combat or not, which I guess isn't a good thing in terms of how well they are marketing the game.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
The big long video in the OP shows the gunk becoming more... aggressive, sentient. I was only scanning through but I'm getting the feeling of this being a mix of platform/puzzler, but also goo sucking against malignent foe.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
My review of The Gunk goes up later this week. If I was the kind of person who makes videos I wouldn't have shown the first 15 minutes.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'll enjoy the exploration and collecting aspects of this, but still not sure about it as a complete package. Glad it's on GP!