• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Been enjoying it overall but I realized I forgot to scan a bit of alien tech & Ive found myself annoyed with how little the game lets you backtrack. The fast travel points I tried just lead to dead ends - most of which required me to quit & reload to get out of. Makes me wonder why they even have multiple fasttravel points in the first place if the game doesn't let you actually reexplore areas. The landing sites couldve just been one way trips back & forth justified by the ship's lack of fuel.
idk if some chapters block you off from backtracking or if i was just too tired that night i was playing to notice little tunnels, but i went back through near the end of the game looking for some last resources for upgrades & all but one of the "dead ends" let me pass through. so just correcting myself lol. Granted, that led to a new issue of not finding backtracking for resources particularly enjoyable. I'd have preferred a resource detective vision or something as the final upgrade over the revive thing that I dont think I ever used.

fun game imo, as a platformer fan it was pretty much comfort food. Just rock solid with some neat stuff even if it wasnt mindblowing or anything.

MrGiraffe

Feb 27, 2020
Finished it.

The game fails for the opposite reasons that every Steamworld game before it succeeded:

- It has near-zero evolution of the mechanics. Previous games from I&F start deceptively simple and over the course of just a few hours evolve into a beautiful amalgamation of systems that make the second half really compelling and hard to put down until you finish it. Not so here - it starts flat, and it continues flat until the very end.

- It has little heart. A secondary NPC in Steamworld Dig exhibited more personality than these two main characters did in the entirety of the game.

Just a huge bummer all around. No idea how anyone can be compelled by this bog-standard, dry game.

Here's to their next one.

Paradox

Oct 28, 2017
- It has near-zero evolution of the mechanics. Previous games from I&F start deceptively simple and over the course of just a few hours evolve into a beautiful amalgamation of systems that make the second half really compelling and hard to put down until you finish it. Not so here - it starts flat, and it continues flat until the very end.

This is probably the most egregious thing to me. I could put up with a fairly short game or with so-so story/characters if it felt like it was actually going somewhere. Without getting into specifics, the things you do to defeat the final 'boss' of the game are things you could have easily done within the first few minutes. Which isn't automatically a bad thing, but it feels like the game has one idea (sucking up gunk) and...that's that. Even the upgrades you get are ultimately mostly pointless and don't noticeably change things.

I've seen a lot of comparisons to PS2-era puzzle platformers but even those either lasted longer and had a greater variety of environments, or had different mechanics that changed or evolved. It reminded me more of those very early XBLA titles that were super cheap but fairly rudimentary and felt more like proof of concepts than anything.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Glad I inadvertently skipped this after reading the topic.

And I recently bought Hand of Gilgamech, and while I like card based battling, I couldn't finish that one either. The story wasn't compelling and the gameplay wasn't that engaging there either.

MrGiraffe

Feb 27, 2020
This is probably the most egregious thing to me. I could put up with a fairly short game or with so-so story/characters if it felt like it was actually going somewhere. Without getting into specifics, the things you do to defeat the final 'boss' of the game are things you could have easily done within the first few minutes. Which isn't automatically a bad thing, but it feels like the game has one idea (sucking up gunk) and...that's that. Even the upgrades you get are ultimately mostly pointless and don't noticeably change things.

I've seen a lot of comparisons to PS2-era puzzle platformers but even those either lasted longer and had a greater variety of environments, or had different mechanics that changed or evolved. It reminded me more of those very early XBLA titles that were super cheap but fairly rudimentary and felt more like proof of concepts than anything.

On point.

PS2/Xbox-era platformer this is not.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Fired this up last night, and got some Mario Sunshine vibes. Sounds like the platforming and enemy challenge doesn't get anywhere near it though.

Charming game, but I intend to just blow through it if you just go through the motions, without having to engage any thought. Glad I'm trying it on Game Pass, because this wouldn't be a buy at $25.

Also, motion blur is really bothering me anymore. Shut that shit right off.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I tend to agree that calling this a PS2-era platformer is a bit generous. There really is no sense of escalation to this game, it doesn't feel like you're learning or growing. Even the upgrades you can unlock, like 80% of them are borderline useless. Like, increased run speed after sucking Gunk? There's no situation where that would matter

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I'm loving this game. Yes, it doesn't succeed in being a platformer or action game very well, but it's some odd mix of platformer and walking simulator. It's just working for me as a way of relaxing after a long day. The music is great too.

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
For me the core problem I think is that the centerpiece of the game, The Gunk, is just not challenging, interesting, or fun to deal with, ultimately just feeling like busy work. Now I don't think a game needs to be challenging to be engaging, for instance I know it's a very different thing but Unpacking is not remotely challenging but does create an oddly satisfying gameplay loop, which The Gunk just fails to do with cleaning up the gunk IMO.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I liked most parts of the game, but it could be much better with more platforming and harder puzzles. Some of the last parts (desert) weren't interesting too and I think The Gunk had potential to be a better game without those parts. Also I wish it was a little more challenging. I know that developers didn't want to go in that direction, but the game could be better in that way in my opinion.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
I hate to bag on the voice acting, but it felt like they hired the first random 20-something girl they found for Rani, the main character. The Becks VA was stronger overall.
Agreed. I imagine the intent was to give Rani a childlike enthusiasm and sense of wonder, but every line feels forced and unnatural to me. The delivery makes me think of your average child actor.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
yeah its one of those games, which starts fine but never evolves to something interesting.
i still might go to the end, since playtime seems short from what i heard.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Yeah I tend to agree that calling this a PS2-era platformer is a bit generous. There really is no sense of escalation to this game, it doesn't feel like you're learning or growing. Even the upgrades you can unlock, like 80% of them are borderline useless. Like, increased run speed after sucking Gunk? There's no situation where that would matter
It let me finish the game marginally faster than otherwise so that was a positive

ChuckXL

Banned
May 3, 2018
My only real problem with this otherwise "it's fine" game is that you can't really go back in and clean up achievements you might have missed. Some of them are inaccessible from your last save.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Finished it.

The game fails for the opposite reasons that every Steamworld game before it succeeded:

- It has little heart. A secondary NPC in Steamworld Dig exhibited more personality than these two main characters did in the entirety of the game.

Just a huge bummer all around. No idea how anyone can be compelled by this bog-standard, dry game.

Here's to their next one.

I uninstalled it after 30mins, cuz I had a feeling it would be like this the whole game. Also I couldn't stand the characters.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Finished and I'd give it a 6/10. Most certainly not the best game, but a good GP game. Didn't mind vacuuming because it was pretty relaxing. Coming from the intensity of finishing Halo may have helped me get through this one because Halo was beating my arse.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I find this quite enjoyable; gameplay loop is relaxing, characters are fun, graphics are pretty and voice acting is excellent. With its` cute characters and overall presentation the game reminds me a lot of Kena. I wish that game had such talented voice actors.

Last edited:

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Very beautiful game but i think they exaggerated on the chromatic aberration a bit much.

Very relaxing game so far.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. Not amazing or anything, but I do enjoy these kinds of "make the world pretty again" type games like De Blob or Okami and whatnot.

Just the right length as well, not really much to it but it was a nice palette cleanser after beating Halo on legendary, achievements were easy too. Definitely an ideal Gamepass game.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
This last hour or so is pretty rough. I thought I'd finish and delete, but I had to take a break.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Gunk. All in all it's the same thing over and over - but then so was Halo Infinite, which I finished before this.

I had some fun with it overall. It was a rather relaxing experience, with little in the way of challenge. I did enjoy sucking up all that shit though.

My only gripe was the scannable objects seemed hit or miss. Objects that looked like something you should scan, weren't scannable at all. Ah well, uninstalled and ready to move onto something else.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Not really sure, can't find anything about the latest update.

In fact i can't find anything about any of the updates released so far.
I asked about the update on their facebook page and thought it was odd they never responded...then noticed that my question/post had vanished/deleted. Strange.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Played the 2 first chapters and liked the game.
gameplay is simple but relaxing and overall visuals were pretty nice to me.
another charming game in my opinion.
will play more.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Weird to bring up Kena for no reason, but the voice acting in The Gunk is definitely not "excellent."

It really reminds of Kena in the way that it's a beautiful, low-key vibe game. I think the comparisons are apt to be fair.

I also think the voice acting is quite good too. It's not amazingly written or anything but the voice actors certainly make me feel like the characters care for one another.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I was enjoying it at first but ooof it's starting to grate a bit now. Samey, repetitive stuff. Shame. The game ain't on the same page as Kena.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Actually found that pretty useful against the spitters. Suck up some gunk, rush over to them asap, get them out of the picture.
The revive & the one that lets the lure stay out longer were the ones that me scratching my head.

Roquentin

Oct 29, 2017
I recommend using manual saves in this game. I got stuck in the polluted lake area (most likely by not doing stuff in the intended order) and lost around ~30 minutes of progress. Fortunately at the end of my previous session I decided to create a manual save. Otherwise I would have had to start from the beginning. Apart from that mishap, I'm enjoying the game so far.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Tried playing the Game Pass version on PC, but can't get past the cut-scene in the first level where the ship lands.

The game slows to a crawl (0-1 FPS, even though GPU utilization is incredibly low), while audio keeps playing just fine. Menus takes some time to load after pausing, but also seem to work fine. Quitting and reloading doesn't help.

Any ideas? 5900X/3090, all latest drivers, etc.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
About 2/3 through the game now I think. The formula is definitely repetitive and some of the enemies are annoying but I'm enjoying the cozy laid back vibe of it all. Great visuals + score.

I do really appreciate how falling deaths just throw you back to the platform you fell from, feels like the game respects your time quite a bit in that regard.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
I recommend using manual saves in this game. I got stuck in the polluted lake area (most likely by not doing stuff in the intended order) and lost around ~30 minutes of progress. Fortunately at the end of my previous session I decided to create a manual save. Otherwise I would have had to start from the beginning. Apart from that mishap, I'm enjoying the game so far.

was it the bridges not working?