• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Finishing my rewatch of 79 and it's really a shame that Sayla got sidelined hard afterwards given that she was so important to this storyline. I've read that apparently her actress was too busy with Urusei Yatsura during Zeta/ZZ to appear outside of cameos.

Also Char's clean headshot of Kycilia through the hull of her ship remains my favorite moment of the entire 79 saga.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Finishing my rewatch of 79 and it's really a shame that Sayla got sidelined hard afterwards given that she was so important to this storyline. I've read that apparently her actress was too busy with Urusei Yatsura during Zeta/ZZ to appear outside of cameos.

Also Char's clean headshot of Kycilia through the hull of her ship remains my favorite moment of the entire 79 saga.
They didn't want to sideline her. The voice actress was sick and passed away before they could do more with her, I believe.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
They didn't want to sideline her. The voice actress was sick and passed away before they could do more with her, I believe.
Well she passed away in 2001, so that's more understandable, but I mean before that when they were still making UC stuff in the 80s.

That said they did recast Bright so I would hope that doesn't mean Sayla is forever unable to be used.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Yo Inoue was in Patlabor in the 90s. I guess I never learned more of the reasoning beyond vague things like "was on vacation or safari at the time."

In any case, they have Sayla in Origin up to a scant few hours before the events of MSG, and of course she'll be in the Doan's Island thing. I have no idea if any manga attempt to say what she was doing later on.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I get kinda miffed when other Gundams that are clearly way more powerful than the original also show up in the OYW.

The EZ's are fine, they are basically GMs with spare parts added on. The Alex is okay because its basically just a new type enhanced Gundam showing up at the ass end of the conflict.

All the other ones though...

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I get kinda miffed when other Gundams that are clearly way more powerful than the original also show up in the OYW.

The EZ's are fine, they are basically GMs with spare parts added on. The Alex is okay because its basically just a new type enhanced Gundam showing up at the ass end of the conflict.

Depends, is it a copy or is it a different evolution? Because the Gundam is one of multiple prototypes approved, it's the only one that got super mobile and publicized. Others would've been more specialized and covertly deployed. 78 was sacrificed as a decoy

Oct 8, 2019

I understand the reasoning for it, but yeah I just dont like how over the top some of the OVA gets in terms of power. Gundam 0080 has it make sense, and the final battle is with a normal Zaku II, while in other OVAs like Gundam 0083, you got shit where you basically have to conclude that technology just disappears.

The strength of UC Gundam is that the main character is constantly in danger of being destroyed by anyone. A normal guy can just get lucky and blow up the Gundam. If you have it so that the Gundam is so advance that the only person who can destroy it is another ace pilot in a super advanced robot than your basically just making serious Gundam Wing and that type of robot fights should never be taking completely seriously.

Gespenst MKIV

Nov 1, 2017
Which universe is that?
A quick google say it's from UC.
Universal Century 0089. Mashiro Oaks is a high school student on Side 2 Colony "Olympus." He gets the high score on a game titled "Walpurgis Night" and, by distributing the video on an underground network, he gets noticed. The tagline reads, "Young Man, defy your cursed fate!!"
From the Gundam Wiki

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

What other Gundams are you referring to? I'm still catching up with all the side story mangas.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah my post was meant to sound more light hearted than it came across in second read as well, sorry lol

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Oh yeah, lots of the RX-78 variants are rather OP, starting from the RX-78-04 all the way to 07 and its FA version.

In SD Genesis, the 06 and 07 are rather easy to build in early game and it's enough to clean up all the OYW grunts with ease, even Char's mechs.

Oct 27, 2017
Is Judau secretly the best UC protagonist? He is more well written and relatable than Amuro, Kamille, and Char. Debate me!

Edit: I'm only ~17 episodes into ZZ Gundam.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Oh yeah, lots of the RX-78 variants are rather OP, starting from the RX-78-04 all the way to 07 and its FA version.

In SD Genesis, the 06 and 07 are rather easy to build in early game and it's enough to clean up all the OYW grunts with ease, even Char's mechs.
I really need to get back into that game for a bit, I've done maybe 2 missions. Wanna try and grind out a quick couple monsters like gun cannon snipers I think?

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Is Judau secretly the best UC protagonist? He is more well written and relatable than Amuro, Kamille, and Char. Debate me!

Edit: I'm only ~17 episodes into ZZ Gundam.
Judau is certainly the most accomplished and longest lasting. Judau and the ZZ are active all the way through the Zanscare war, appearing in Crossbone and V Gundam Gaiden.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
e785f187ee4f5076c7150ce4d326c8d7_raw.jpg

Had this beer while I was in Portugal. Super Machines Imperial IPA by Dois Corvos. Yep. That's a Unicorn.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Got up at ep 38 of ZZ. Mashymre's reappearance is such a stark contrast to his original portrayal. I know the tone of this show has shifted but it's like a totally different character.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Mudrock from Zeonic Front is always OP in the games.

Like why didn't someone have the idea of smooshing the Gundam and guncannon together sooner.

They were still uncommon units, the OYW was massive and the Federation was playing catch up on war materials production, hence their main focus on cheaper grunt units. They were still uses mass amounts of balls in combat to the very end. The other Gundams were mainly the other prototypes from the initial series and were typically made to be specialized units. Murdrock was not more powerful than the original RX-78-2 per say, it was just more specialized for ground combat. Other variants got unique gear and such too but none I believe also got the magnetic coated joint upgrade that the RX-78-2 got as well as full space operations verniers upgrades for dual role combat.

Lot of the other Gundams came into the OYW late also so they got later updates and upgrades compared to the early model.

The pilot also is what truly made the original Gundam unique, as we see many of the other Gundam prototypes didn't do a whole lot, Mudrock technically was taken out by a squad of zeon grunt suits for example.

coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished my watch of (almost) all U.C., most of which for the first time.

MSG movies 1-3, 0080, 0083, Z, ZZ, CCA, Hathaway

I've also already seen 08th MS Team, Thunderbolt, Unicorn, and F91.

It's a shame I didn't enjoy MSG, Z, ZZ, or CCA, because I really like basically everything else surrounding those core U.C. series. There are interesting ideas and some good episodes here and there, but overall it was not for me.

I can't agree with folks who recommend to start with first Gundam. If I had done that rather than start with Iron Blooded Orphans like I did, I don't know if I'd be watching Gundam at all.

Now that I feel like I'm free, I'll get back to watching more non-U.C. stuff, starting with Gundam X.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Finally finished my watch of (almost) all U.C., most of which for the first time.

MSG movies 1-3, 0080, 0083, Z, ZZ, CCA, Hathaway

I've also already seen 08th MS Team, Thunderbolt, Unicorn, and F91.

It's a shame I didn't enjoy MSG, Z, ZZ, or CCA, because I really like basically everything else surrounding those core U.C. series. There are interesting ideas and some good episodes here and there, but overall it was not for me.

I can't agree with folks who recommend to start with first Gundam. If I had done that rather than start with Iron Blooded Orphans like I did, I don't know if I'd be watching Gundam at all.

Now that I feel like I'm free, I'll get back to watching more non-U.C. stuff, starting with Gundam X.
It's G Gundam time!

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I can't agree with folks who recommend to start with first Gundam.
Personally I would recommend IBO or 00, but when someone asks where to start with the UC what else can you tell them really??? You might find The Origin Manga more to your liking. Better pacing, cuts out some filler, ads some great prequel material. The anime only adapts the prequel stuff.

coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I would recommend IBO or 00, but when someone asks where to start with the UC what else can you tell them really??? You might find The Origin Manga more to your liking. Better pacing, cuts out some filler, ads some great prequel material. The anime only adapts the prequel stuff.
That's a good point. If they specifically want to start with UC, I don't know what else I'd say. Maybe 0080? 08th MS Team? Probably just first Gundam.

I'll have to check out The Origin manga some time.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
That's a good point. If they specifically want to start with UC, I don't know what else I'd say. Maybe 0080? 08th MS Team? Probably just first Gundam.

I'll have to check out The Origin manga some time.
0080 is solid on it's own but sometimes folks, at least friends of mine who ask -- can only speak from personal experience here, want that "thrown into the fandom deep end" stuff.

If you end up doing so I'd love to hear what you think! They're colorizing the pages and posting them here slowly (story is only partially posted so far but close to the end) if you have an interest in checking it out before buying or seeing if you wanna wait for whenever these color pages hit the shelves. Probably best since you were mild on the show.

comic-walker.com

MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM THE ORIGIN

Amuro Rei is the son of an engineering officer of the Federation Army. When the man-made colony "Side 7" is attacked by the Zeon Army, he fights back with the Gundam that his father developed. He then boards the WB with other refugees, but continues to be dragged back into the war.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
If someone watched 79, Z, and ZZ, and didn't like any of it, I would question if Gundam is the right franchise for them, lol.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Finally finished ZZ. I really liked both the campy and serious approach of the show. Happy about the last beach scene too, gives solid closure on a character I didn't think we were gonna get.

But why did Judua suddenly go to Jupiter? What is in Jupiter I don't think it was mentioned at all?

Now to move on to the next show. Maybe I'll watch 08th MS -> War in the Pocket -> 0083 -> F91. Then catch up on Thunderbolt, Unicorn, and Origin. Once I finished all those I'll pick up Victory.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished ZZ. I really liked both the campy and serious approach of the show. Happy about the last beach scene too, gives solid closure on a character I didn't think we were gonna get.

But why did Judua suddenly go to Jupiter? What is in Jupiter I don't think it was mentioned at all?
It's some sort of far-off colony from what I gather. Scirocco in Zeta came from Jupiter. Crossbone has action around Jupiter.

Oct 27, 2017

Now to move on to the next show. Maybe I'll watch 08th MS -> War in the Pocket -> 0083 -> F91. Then catch up on Thunderbolt, Unicorn, and Origin. Once I finished all those I'll pick up Victory.

I suggest doing Unicorn (the OVA > series) next. Have you already seen Char's Countterattack? Probably CCA > Unicorn > Hathaway. Feel free to never watch Narrative.

As far as 08th MS Team, Thunderbolt, & Origin are concerned, I would circle back on those later as they all feel so disconnected from the primary events of UC. 08th doesn't necessarily retcon anything from 0079/Z/ZZ, but it feels tonally different in such a way that I don't think it makes sense to watch it in-line with the other series. Thunderbolt and especially Origin feel like retcons of certain UC aspects in a way that's still enjoyable, but can create some dissonance when you're watching the original series.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I suggest doing Unicorn (the OVA > series) next. Have you already seen Char's Countterattack? Probably CCA > Unicorn > Hathaway. Feel free to never watch Narrative.

As far as 08th MS Team, Thunderbolt, & Origin are concerned, I would circle back on those later as they all feel so disconnected from the primary events of UC. 08th doesn't necessarily retcon anything from 0079/Z/ZZ, but it feels tonally different in such a way that I don't think it makes sense to watch it in-line with the other series. Thunderbolt and especially Origin feel like retcons of certain UC aspects in a way that's still enjoyable, but can create some dissonance when you're watching the original series.
Perfect I'll watch Unicorn next! I did watch CCA during my ZZ watch because I really wanted to watch Hathaway and heard ZZ didn't have much impact on the story.

Should I watch Victory then before the others?

coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
Some people just have different tastes. They liked the most recent episodic Gundam so I'd say the franchise is right.
I liked some of the ideas and certain episodes of 0079, Z, ZZ, CCA. But yeah most of the UC stuff I like is outside of that core.

But I really enjoyed IBO and 00, and I'm interested to watch more AU shows. And I've built over 50 gunpla kits. I like Gundam for sure.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017

There are some colonies near Jupiter. They mine gasses required for Minovsky fusion and routinely transport them back to Earth.

The finer details really aren't gotten into, but the basics are implied in Zeta, as Scirocco was part of the Jupiter Energy Fleet. Judau deciding to go to Jupiter comes out of left field but basically was "I can't fucking deal with these adults/the Federation, I'm taking my girlfriend and going to Jupiter".

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Perfect I'll watch Unicorn next! I did watch CCA during my ZZ watch because I really wanted to watch Hathaway and heard ZZ didn't have much impact on the story.

Should I watch Victory then before the others?
Idk Victory is like all the elements of the previous series amplified. It's far and away my favorite entry in the franchise, but if you don't like the classic series it is going to be painful. It's the farthest point in the timeline animated. (Crossbone Dust, X-11 and the G-Saviour entries take place later).

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Idk Victory is like all the elements of the previous series amplified. It's far and away my favorite entry in the franchise, but if you don't like the classic series it is going to be painful. It's the farthest point in the timeline animated. (Crossbone Dust, X-11 and the G-Saviour entries take place later).
Different poster was the one that the original UC didn't land with.