• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to hear Hathaway is good. NT for me was kinda so-so. Some cool animation and fights, but the story felt like such a boring Unicorn retread. And of course Hathaway is by a completely different writer, but Tomino's writing can get, uh, pretty suspect!

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I miss original Gundam titles like that. Feels like Bandai Namco is just afraid to try these days.
I think the math just works out that crossover titles are seen to do better because you get the "everyone's here" bump and you get to please all segments of the fanbase. If they just picked an era and filled it with appropriate suits, characters, and story you are always going to leave someone out.

IIRC I thought there was a Seed game coming down the pipe though. Which isn't at the top of my list when it comes to setting, but I'd rather another focused title than anything else.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear Hathaway is good. NT for me was kinda so-so. Some cool animation and fights, but the story felt like such a boring Unicorn retread. And of course Hathaway is by a completely different writer, but Tomino's writing can get, uh, pretty suspect!
The issue with NT is that they let Fukui write the screenplay.
Unicorn is Fukui's story but the anime cuts a lot of superfluous bullshit and streamlines the story A LOT. Like the novels are interesting but slooooow reads.
NT is Fukui's worst bullshit on full display.

Tomino's writing is very esoteric, but he is a master world builder. If the movies continue to be as faithful I am excited but movie 2 is going to be 90% character work and a lot of Feddie corruption and some gnarly Marty attacks but not much on MS battles, so movie 2 i don't think will be super well received.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The issue with NT is that they let Fukui write the screenplay.
Unicorn is Fukui's story but the anime cuts a lot of superfluous bullshit and streamlines the story A LOT. Like the novels are interesting but slooooow reads.
NT is Fukui's worst bullshit on full display.

Tomino's writing is very esoteric, but he is a master world builder. If the movies continue to be as faithful I am excited but movie 2 is going to be 90% character work and a lot of Feddie corruption and some gnarly Marty attacks but not much on MS battles, so movie 2 i don't think will be super well received.
It wasn't even that NT felt super convoluted, it was more that they were really straining credulity (whatever credulity Gundam still has lol) to match or ramp up the threat from Unicorn...ok, another group of surviving Neo Zeons, fine, but they have a *second* Sinanju, and a *second* Neo Zeong, and they have super Newtype powers that are just as radical as anything else? Just seemed like a bit much for a bad guy who wasn't exactly Char or Haman or Full Frontal, but just a rando.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
That's how the novels are though. Which is why I say NT is just Fukui unrestrained. It's really just escalation to insane degrees. And so much nonsense.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Just bought 0080, 0083, Zeta Part 1 and Part 2 (all of which I've never seen) and my credit card is literally smoking but I loved 0079, so I figured I'll just watch all of the good UC stuff. My poor credit score though…

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Ah ok, limited we're sorry promotion, no prob, was just causing confusion due to lack of context

I don't think it is a limted code. Too generic to be a one time use. And if it is, I'm not planning to use at the moment. I'm only missing a couple of build divers series, and not in a rush.

Removed code as apparently it is linked to e-mail of purchasers of the original set, don't want to disappoint anyone.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I don't think it is a limted code. Too generic to be a one time use. And if it is, I'm not planning to use at the moment. I'm only missing a couple of build divers series, and not in a rush.

[Hidden content]

good for 50% off next purchase of any Gundam title. Possibly needs to be in all caps, but the text is an all caps one, so hard to tell.

edit: Did my Hide tags work? I can see it, but I think you are supposed to quote me to see it on your end.
Thanks! Now for the real question, turn a or after X....

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched Hathaway night before last. I honestly didn't expect it to be as good as it was. Top-tier Gundam material, for sure.

that 50% off any gundam dvd/blu ray from rightstuf seems incredible.

now to get Divers since I thought $60 was an insanely high price

I knew a code came with the replacement blurays but 50% off? Wow. Guess it's time I finally pick up X.

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Of note is that the coupon code does not work on Gundam NT, which I was considering picking up. Will try and remember to contact tomorrow to see if that is by design or an oversight. Presumptively it will also expire or not apply to Seed Destiny Remaster, although no expiration date or exclusions are mentioned in the insert.

Edit: It does work on the super expensive 00 & G Gundam sets, although it is worth nothing it is 50% off MSRP, not 50% off current price. Does NOT apply to Seed Remastered, which makes sense, but I also presume they will exclude Destiny when it launches pre-orders.

Also, for anyone who is curious, the news discs are functionally identical to the old except for the Disc code/serial number. The new ones just add an HV to the end, so RSBLU2060GHV is the new disc one, while RSBLU2060G is the old disc one. The typo on disc 10 episode 47 was fixed, and while the disc art is the same it is of noticeably lower quality printing and also a bit brighter than the original images. Minor detail, noticeably only on close inspection.

Seems it doesn't have to be unique, after trying it, it seems they keyed it to valid emails XD

That sucks. Sorry to get your hopes up.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

[Hidden content]

good for 50% off next purchase of any Gundam title. Possibly needs to be in all caps, but the text is an all caps one, so hard to tell.

edit: Did my Hide tags work? I can see it, but I think you are supposed to quote me to see it on your end.
Seems it doesn't have to be unique, after trying it, it seems they keyed it to valid emails XD
Edit: no prob, don't need to be spending the cash anyways

Last edited:

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly what you think it is. It's a part of Japanese history and of course Tomino had to latch onto it with Sayla making one for Amuro. It's talked about for like three pages in the novel and then never mentioned again.

The novel is pretty different at times from the show.
Huh. I kind of want to read them now. Not just for the pubic hair necklaces. Tomino not having a filter kind of appeals to me.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Glemy originally planned to be his kid? Nevermind, maybe Gihren's illegitimate child made in a lab.
I think you are thinking of Uso who people speculated was Char's great grandkid since he is related to Nanai.

It's actually available in English, too. $15 at Amazon. Aside from Tomino being massively misogynistic, they're an interesting read.
Tomino is weird, but I wouldn't call him a misogynist. He has repeatedly tried to fight to have more women in his shows and to have the women do more.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I think you are thinking of Uso who people speculated was Char's great grandkid since he is related to Nanai.

Probably.

Tomino is weird, but I wouldn't call him a misogynist. He has repeatedly tried to fight to have more women in his shows and to have the women do more.

Product of his time and culture sure, but dude has had some weird problematic views of women, particularly with all the shit that goes down in the second half of Zeta.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If i'm going out to space in a giant metal man to fight psychic hippies its kinda the least she could do...
Product of his time and culture sure, but dude has had some weird problematic views of women, particularly with all the shit that goes down in the second half of Zeta.
MSB podcast brought up the fact that there is a pretty huge difference in how the show treats characters based on who was writing the episode. I want to say Endo was one who really had it out for Fa but may not be remembering right.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if his views have changed in the time since Zeta came out, but Tomino certainly had misogynistic tendencies. I consider Zeta to be one of my favorite pieces of media ever made, but like others have pointed out, there are tremendous issues with characterization of the women characters throughout it. Reccoa's arc in the show in particular is especially infuriating.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
I'm not sure if his views have changed in the time since Zeta came out, but Tomino certainly had misogynistic tendencies. I consider Zeta to be one of my favorite pieces of media ever made, but like others have pointed out, there are tremendous issues with characterization of the women characters throughout it. Reccoa's arc in the show in particular is especially infuriating.
While zeta is a good example of that victory is a much better one

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle

Damn straight. I also love Zeta, but Paptimus' power over women speaks volumes.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just checked one of the original trilogy movies that went up on Netflix, and I'm very pleasantly surprised to report that they use the original Japanese track, not the redone 5.1 track.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if Netflix will add Zeta and ZZ in the near future?
They seem to be adding more Gundam content now that they are co-producing the live action Gundam movie.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty terrible. It was my white whale for a while too, but once I started watching it, my heart sank. Couldn't make it past episode 20. Luckily, I cleansed my soul with Turn A right after.
Asinine. Victory is phenomenal. Maybe my personal favorite but the series is so good. Marbet might be my favorite character in the whole franchise.